Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy Father's Day buddies!

72 Yamaha RD3250
    Thanks for the Spot link !
    Do you mind if we call you Mike instead of "72 Yamaha RD350" ?
    Although there IS something kinda cool about going by one's handle/nickname.
    (My nickname is "Jay" BTW in case you missed that so maybe just calling you "RD350"
    for short will be ok?

Sorry you dropped your King. That sucks BUT I am just glad you weren't on it and rolling at the time.
    And no, I am not one bit jealous of you adventure. Ha!

Stay safe out there all of ya!

Jay
  2. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

Saw this yesterday - I have zero personal connection (well, not true it's a VStrom so I have at least an emotional connection - haha) to this.
    Someone in Brownsburg has a Wee (VStrom 650 for sale for $3700 with low miles. And way over $1000 worth of farkles.

Just in case you know someone looking it appears to be a good deal!

Just search on "Suzuki" within 50 miles of an Indy zip code and you will see it - 2006, Red.
    Those Jesse Panniers and racks are COSTY and nice.

Again,
    I don't know and haven't talked to seller. Just thought one of you might know someone looking for a good deal on a great bike.
  3. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    A couple of years ago I'd have been all over this. WeeStroms are great bikes, but my bike GAS (gear acquistion syndrome) has been sated by the Triumph. :)
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Well, missed an opportunity to ride in KY because we were up for a regional Emmy for a documentary I worked on.

Didn't win. Lost out to a documentary about Jim Davis, the creator of Garfield. So there's that.

Don't know what the weather was like in KY over the weekend, but Indy and central IN got hammered by storms. May have missed the opportunity to drive to KY and watch it rain. Hard to know.

Anyway, hoping the weather settles a bit so I can ride some this week.

72Yamaha, loving the updates. Can't help but notice how the size of the towns is beginning to shrink as you get further north. Fairly soon--you and the moose, and maybe an elk.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  5. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out the Spot link. Went through Dawson Creek yesterday. On our way to Liard Hot Springs today. Beautiful day yesterday with some weather drama in Grande Prairie but otherwise a perfect riding day. Sorry, I don't have time to post more. These guys who do real time road reports must have more time budgeted than me.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  6. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Love the Spot link. Gives me a sense of it when I hit the satellite view.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  7. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am also digging the Spot! I have a close friend riding in the Iron Butt Rally so I have been kinda watching it on a tracking app as well. They give each Spot device a number (no names) because they don't want people to be individually identifiable. Since I don't know for sure which Spot is him, I watch them all.

Be safe out there!
  8. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    PM sent to Joel with FB identity. Send me a friend request and then you can see my daily update for family and friends.
  9. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Tough sledding out there today. Three hours of driving rain in the forties in the northern Canadian Rockies. Cleared up shortly after Watson Lake. Lots of riders!
  10. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Still following along! Love the satellite view on Spot.

Hasn't stopped raining here more than about a minute-and-a-half this week and I was wondering what you were running into out there.

At least we aren't in the forties here!

Stay safe!
  11. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    8447AEC1-5494-4DBA-9016-31C818935274.jpeg 3D9A3C51-84D1-4F76-8C5D-5F8668A654DF.jpeg Here’s the best photo of the day.

And the second best.

In reverse order because... software.
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    It is extremely gratifying when a 30-minute errand turns into a four-hour ride. :)

A few picts later, but for now just enjoy Mike's from Alaska.

For those interested in following along, Mike is okay with me sharing his FB name so you can see what he is posting. A lot more info from him being posted there--the few posted here are just to whet your appetite.
  13. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd try to replicate Mike's pictures in Indiana today. Make us all not feel so bad about not being on the epic ride with him. Let me know how I did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  14. radianrider

Oddometer:
    :dohHa!

Okay, so I wandered around southwest of home today. It has been a loooong time since the weather was conducive to longer rides--or any rides for that matter. We had some really nice weather this morning and part of the afternoon, but it's raining again as I write.

I had an errand to run, so I took the bike. The weather was just about perfect...cool temps and low humidity. I took backroads down to Mooresville and stopped for coffee and a sandwich at Bran and Shorts. The lemonade pie sounded good, so why not?
    [​IMG]

Reminded me more of Key Lime pie than it did lemon meringue, but I enjoyed it.

I did realize that I need to train myself to turn the bike off with the key when I looked across the street at my bike and saw the headlight was still on. Left the key after I turned off the bike with the kill switch.:doh

Having downed two cups of good coffee, it was time to wander on. I headed west to pick up 39 south. Turned right at 142 and then south out of Wilbur, IN. Population? Not sure. Five? Twelve? Doesn't matter, as I didn't intend to spend any time there. The road south is a LOT of fun. It eventually T's into IN-67, so I turned right toward Paragon. Stopped to get a picture of the sign (to show Mike how it's done :lol3) and saw a couple of old vehicles that looked interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know a lot of riders add driving lights to their rides. This option hasn't been explored--but for more formal rides it might be just the ticket.
    [​IMG]

Headed back up 67 and took the first left by the graveyard. Not a lot of imagination expended when naming the road.
    [​IMG]

I took Letterman Road which leads to Letterman Valley. Small little place. Ended up turning onto Big Hurricane Rd. and then onto Little Hurricane Rd. All three roads were a LOT of fun. Just a pleasure to plonk along at a comfortable pace and enjoy the bike. (Though the seat may need some mods done this winter. I tend to ride near the tank and the seat seems to be collapsing a bit.)

Looking into upgrading the suspension later this fall. Lots of reviews for gas shocks and progressive springs on this bike and all of the riders say the difference is remarkable. Will admit the current setup can be harsh on sudden bumps.

Ended the afternoon riding a mower around the yard. No pictures available.:lol3
    JB2 likes this.
  15. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Funny! My dad took my brother and I to Paragon Raceway several times in the 70’s. Don’t bathe before you go because you wear the track home!
  16. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Today was a zero mile day in Fairbanks. Fell asleep at 12:15am with the sun blasting through the blinds like the noonday sun only it is low in the sky. Could have read a book with the lights off and the blinds open.

Satellite dishes here don’t point up - they point laterally toward the equatorial horizon.

Vehicles, amazingly, do not rust here. They don’t use salt on the roads in winter. My first clue was an early 90’s Chevy S10 with pristine paint and body. Not a collector car - a daily driver with zero rust. The clincher was a 1975 Dodge Clubman dual cab pickup with the body beat to crap but with less rust than it had rolling off the assembly line.

I took a couple hours to book the rest of our rooms headed home. Left those open to be flexible. My 60 year old co-worker on this trip decided he didn’t like camping more than a comfortable bed and shower. We brought tents and sleeping bags but no cooking stuff. Camping is cheap on money but costly in time - cooking even more so. On whole our trip will average $48/night for each of us sharing a room. I did book a couple places used by others here.

Then it was off to the bank to pick up some more of the queen’s plastic currency. Which turned into a trip to a second bank which actually had Canadian money. ( I paid cash for everything on the way up here except the 5k service in Edmonton.) I’m not typically paranoid and rarely carry any cash but I felt better having it on me instead my bank declining a card transaction due to anti-fraud software algorithms picking up unusual activity. I didn’t have time to call the bank before I left.

Then it was a stop at the Harley/Polaris/Honda/BMW/KLIM dealership. Yep - all under one roof, on one floor, in the same room, undivided from each other. The regional reps must hate that. Met a couple Africa Twin riders from NJ headed home after... six weeks!

Did I mention you can’t swing a dead cat here without hitting a motorcyclist? It’s Sturgis for the adventurous. A guy pulled into our hotel today on an early 80’s Yamaha shaft drive, carburated cruiser loaded with gear. He wins as far as I am concerned.

Then it was off to the car museum. Words cannot describe the beauty there. If you know car history you know that,prior to the Depression, Indiana had more car companies than Michigan. But they didn’t have the capital to withstand the Depression. This museum focuses on Pre-Depression era. See my FB album.

While getting off the bike I noticed my oil cooler was 15% clogged with AlCan mud so it was off to the car wash to get it cleaned off. I don’t think a quarter sized section of my oil cooler will ever flow air again. Just like concrete.

And it was 80 plus degrees here today so it was hot riding around to do all this stuff.

Leaving for Cantwell tomorrow. May hit a second museum here before heading south. Two nights there then One night in Talkeetna and then turning toward home with one night in Chistochina before heading into the Yukon.

I re-planned the Rocky Mtn portion to 360 mile days to easily hit key towns with lodging. We go back to 450 mile days once we are off the AlCan and in Canada’s resource extraction region. I swear if it wasn’t for coal, oil, and natural gas there wouldn’t be a single white person north or west of Edmonton.
    radianrider and pnoman like this.
  17. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Oh, and I typed all that at a completely packed McD’s at 10pm. When the sun shines 22 hours per day people stay out. Sun is setting at 12:43am and rising before 3am.
    radianrider and pnoman like this.
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    6AEB0016-6EB0-454D-ABCA-0B6AB20990E9.jpeg
    A31C4293-89ED-4DA4-9DE1-AEB321297CCE.jpeg

23A62B9F-7050-4EAF-A28C-68EF9EB5A7A7.jpeg
    AEC49CC1-D214-4A3C-AE01-948D69FC586C.jpeg

Some pictures from the solstice at 12:00 am.

Drive thru line at McD’s wrapped around the building. Phone camera is doing something in this picture that makes it appear dark. Not nearly as dark in reality.

Inside hotel room. Accurate.

Fuzzy Ball bear at midnight. Slightly more light than reality but not by much.

Miscellaneous.
    radianrider likes this.
  19. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    No meaningful pictures today. Stopped at the pipeline viewing area 8 miles north of Fairbanks. We had seen it crossing the river at Delta Junctions.

Then it was on to the Museum of the North on the UoA-Fairbanks campus. Spent a couple hours there - ground floor is natural history, upper floor is art. Well worth the $14 admission fee.

Planned total mileage for the day was 154 miles from Fairbanks to Cantwell. Forecast called for rain in the area of Cantwell, 27 miles south of Denali. Looked bad in the distance but decided to stop and don rain gear. A couple guys pulled up from Nevada - one on an older Goldwing and I think the other guy was on BMW. Both nice guys. They were headed home. They said they had gotten caught in heavy rain and hail south of Fairbanks yesterday on their way to Nenanna.

Around 6-7pm last night I stepped outside the hotel and the sky to the south looked bad. The air smelled heavy with rain - as in, if I were blind and deaf, I would have bet a million dollars it was raining. But not a drop.

We got to Cantwell and pulled up to the camper cabin just as a few drops started to fall. We walked in the rain to a BBQ trailer and had a mighty fine pulled pork sandwich. Rick left his bear spray on his bike so he was a sitting duck with a pulled pork sandwich in his hand. I suggested that should a bear appear his first line of defense would be to throw the pulled pork at the bear and hope that's enough!

Tomorrow is an 8 hour narrated bus ride through Denali. We'll see how that goes. Monday we head to Talkeetna for one night. Tuesday we stay in Anchorage overnight and hit a museum there, the HD dealer for some poker chips for friends, and maybe Alaska Leather company. These are the short days of sub-200 miles. Wednesday we head east to Chistochina for a night at the Red Eagle lodge and begin the long push home with overnights in Haines Junction, Watson Lake, Fort Nelson, Valleyview, North Battleford, and Minot. Planning on arriving home on July 3rd but you never know on a trip this long. From Anchorage it is 3,176 miles to home.

Hope to complete an essay soon on the "Why Ride to Alaska" background for this trip. You might look for that on FB in the next couple of days.
  20. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    You can call me Mike or RD. I’m not particular but you can’t swing a dead cat in a room of my generation without hitting a dozen Mike’s. We have a rule of thumb where I work - anyone named Mike is addressed by their last name so the other two or three Mike’s in the room know it’s not them.

I have not dropped it again but there have been some close calls. The only difference in riding a big bike is you have to use the rear brake at the end of a sudden stop. Fork compression will throw the bike off balance otherwise. It’s best to transition out of front brake and into rear brake at the end of every stop. The Harley has linked brakes but I think they are only linked above 30mph.

Don’t be jealous. We paid the price of cold, heavy rain in the Rockies for hundreds of miles to get here and it might have built more character than I wanted.
    radianrider likes this.