Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wife and I stopped in Aerostich while we were in Duluth today. Both of us tried on Roadcrafters. I am still not sold despite the wall of crashed suits with accounts of what happened. But it did scare the hell out of me... and my wallet.

Did pick up two books: one of Ted Simon’s and Alone in The Wind.
  2. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    On several trips to the same area of SD & WY I have noticed that the majority of bikes are luxo-tourers. I've had a few. Always ended up offing them for a lighter bike with a more visceral feel. I've ridden an HD XLH1200, Buell S3, Buell S2, VFR800, KLR 650 all over this country. Everyone has their own idea of the perfect ride. If my wife were still riding I'd still be on a cruiser bike but that's not gonna happen. That said, one of the most rewarding trips I took was the year I rode my Cross Country to SD and spent four days riding gravel roads with a guy on a Yamaha Tenere. Although managing an 800 pound land yacht was challenging and fun I sold the sled when I got home and bought the KLR. It was a better tool in my mind for long distance travel.

Joel - Cool selfie! :beer

RD - The folks at Aerostitch are great. I'm assuming you went up to the assembly floor and got the "I Rode There" t-shirt? The wall of road-rashed suits does indeed remind us all to be very careful out there.
    radianrider likes this.
  3. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Actually, I did not go upstairs. It was late afternoon and I didn’t want to be a bother to them at the end of a work day. We live close enough to come up here at least once a year so I’ll do it next time.
    JB2 likes this.
  4. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    5F2F6FFC-5717-4723-A063-08A587FCCE1A.jpeg The Honda/Harley/BMW dealer in Fairbanks had this new Super Cub for sale. If I had unlimited time I’d ride that thing at 30mph everywhere.
    radianrider and JB2 like this.
  5. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been kinda silent a few days.

I liked that selfie Joel.

RD - you stated in one of your recent posts "My RD350 conditioned me to hate high frequency vibration. The Strom was better in that regard up to 60mph but not higher."

I am absolutely in LOVE with my 2011 Strom (Wee variety) I bought new in 2012. EXCEPT...
    I have never noticed that high frequency vibration much. I suppose that harmonic may go away above 80 ?
    And I generally seem to be under 50 or at about 80 most of the time.

But even if I was going over 60 but not a lot faster. I doubt I'd notice vibration. Because my dadgum head bounces around so much from wind buffetting that I didn't know there was a vibration other than that. :)

I have tried almost everything. Madstad, taller windscreen, multiple adjustments, etc. I think I am just about 2 inches too tall for any one that to get it to a "calm" or even near calm state. Oh well, I mentioned earlier I LOVE my Strom so I guess I'll just have to overlook her flaws. (I am putting crash bars on before my upcoming trip and I will lash a set of tank panniers I have to those crash bars. I am betting that's going to make a difference because I fell a lot of air coming up that path. We'll see)

My next major purchase next year is to take my wife on one of those Alaskan Cruises. Planned to do that for our 25th Anniversary. I found out about 6 months before that anniversary that I would be losing my job...So we cancelled that plan due to "insufficient knowledge" (didn't know how long it would take to find another job). Next year is our 35th so pray I don't get some more job loss news please!

I then plan to get a new (to me, maybe gently used) bike the next year. I'll be 60.
    Nothing super nice, just something more than a Strom.
    Maybe a GS or an FJR. Very different but I have liked both for a very long time and have tried out both. I also like Suzuki C90s. Those are the last three bikes I've tried out. Sensing a trend? I like ALL motorcycles I suspect. :)
    (I'll probably end up with a Versys 300 LOL)

Take care all. Remain Blessed.
    J
  6. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Be careful before you go adding crash bars or an engine guard to that Strom as I think that’s what brought out the vibes in my Strom. I don’t think the brand or design matters since the all mount to the same points and magnify the vibes that you don’t notice in stock form.

I recommend you install something rubber between the crash bars where they mount to the frame - preferably softer, thicker rubber which will decrease effectiveness of the crash bars but quell the vibration.

I think crash bars on any engine as a stressed component will have this problem if the bars attach at the engine mounts which I think they all pretty much do.

When I touched my crash bars going 60mph they vibrated like a cheap motel bed. But my panniers mounted on the rear frame were vibration free.

The tallest Madstad worked for me up to about 65mph and then wind spilled around the sides. The stock mirrors were a buffering problem too.
  7. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Have you tried ditching the screen?

Southeast South Dakota is amazing. Needles Highway is from another world (what I could see of of while taking corners so sharp I see the back of my own cat at times.) Bikes everywhere, none of them mine.

Have still seen only one Bonneville.
    JB2 likes this.
  8. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I tried everything on my Strom to kill the buffeting. No screen definitely did not work. There's something about the nose of that bike that makes it notoriously bad for wind management. And Suzuki has never claimed they designed it using a wind tunnel. I started with the size Madstad recommended and that left buffeting at the highest position so I sent it back for their longest screen which worked fairly well. I think the only buffeting I had left was coming off the stock mirrors. When it was warm out I'd just tilt the screen back a couple notches. That worked well. If it was really hot I dropped it all the way down and that made 90F bearable. Note: Schuberth helmets are not well vented - their only drawback besides price.

Did you drive Iron Mountain Road? I've driven a lot out there but I think it escaped me. I need to get back out there.

I did not bring Elvis to the North Shore because it was raining cats and dogs when we left on Sunday. Statewide squall that lasted for six hours up here. I've done my time in the rain this year. And it turned out for the best anyway. I got assigned a project at work before I left and so it's really only been half day vacation days and waking up in the middle of the night stressing over how to complete this new project by Tuesday - a hard deadline with no exceptions. None of that mixes with riding. I do miss the King and look forward to riding to work on Friday. (I tend to do Monday to Thursday short vacations to avoid weekend crowds.)

This book I picked up at Aerostich - "Alone in the Wind - A Journal of Discovery in the Summer of '88" is a really good read... especially sitting on the shore of Lake Superior with the small waves under my feet. After having done the Alaska ride I can really identify with what he experienced riding for long hours. It makes me regret not doing long rides before the age of GPS, cell phones, and the internet. Even without taking advantage of them - you can't escape the technology. The world has changed so much more in my lifetime than I ever thought it would.
  9. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have done the "screen ditch " ... no real joy there.
    Did a shorty smoked screen a couple of Summers during hottest parts.
    Improvement but not great. I used white nylon spacers and longer mounting screws and tilted back both the stock screen and a screen door "VStream" screen. Better. Not great. Liveable. Even in the top secret "4th position" (high) hat Suzuki doesn't show...nor recommend

Added Madstad adjustable bracket last Summer. Not much better but I can at least adjust height and wide amount of tilt easily. Changes seem to make things less unenjoyable. The all the way up, half tilt position being best I have found for cutting down head buffeting. But... about zero airflow through helmet...like turning from a/c to no ac and windows shut in car.

Sounds like I have found a lot of same tradeoffs RD did.

I probably just need to trade her on something with better wind management, and more weight and power for the super slab but I am emotionally attached.

And, I can and have been able to do all the work on her to include valve checks, adjustments, stator replacement, and tire changes. Not confident I could do as much on a fancier bike. And I enjoy doing those things...

And her value likely isn't much with soon to be 40,000 miles.
    So she's a keeper.

New version Vstroms in both 650 and 1000 seem nice. I could probably fall in love again. IF the buffeting thing isn't there. Versys also looks nice in both sizes. But all of those would still get blown around
    by trucks on the slab more than I like. Thats the "opportunity cost" of flickable tall bikes I guess. Light enough to be fun also means light enough to get hammered by truck blasts and other wind events. And wind ain't playing out west. (Lived there 10 years)

A guy I talk to a few times a year in parking lot at work had a C90 (correction...he had a C109) Suzuki he rode for several years and over 60,000 miles. He brags on it all the time like it was one of his kids. I saw it when he had it and it was "nice." He's sorry he sold it EXCEPT for the fact he's on a VERY NICE Indian dresser now and thinks its nicer even though "not that much nicer for the money." (Looks a LOT nicer to poor old VStrom JD ! ) He also doesnt seem to ride the Indian much. I think it may be TOO nice and he's worried about getting it rained on, etc.

Its been lovely riding many times recently. I collected pics of several of the same sights Joel posted in Parke County in the last several days...plus a few more.

You fellas be safe out there!
  10. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    P.S. Hope you vacationers are enjoying yourselves!
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Iron Mountain Road is just amazing. Ride it if you get the chance. Hairpin turns. Decreasing radius turns. No guard rails. Unbelievable views. Crazy blind corners.

Just something to be experienced.

Tomorrow bottom half of the loop known as the wildlife loop.

Unfortunately starting to rain.
    JB2 likes this.
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Jdfog, you need to be more like Jim. Changes bikes with fond memories, but no remorse.

I agonize because I get attached (and I'm cheap.)
    JB2 likes this.
  13. radianrider

Oddometer:
    And if in Keystone...Holy Terror makes a good cup of coffee.
    JB2 likes this.
  14. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Take plenty of photos, always. Enjoy every mile. Sell the bike without regrets. Keep the memories. Pass them on to like minded souls. Show the pics to those who really get it.

I get attached too. But the new bike always steers me to new adventures so I get over it pretty quickly. Although occasionally I do have pangs for the KLR, and one of the Buells, and that last Sportster I owned, and then there's the Victory Vegas... well okay, I miss them all. But only when I'm sitting still.
    radianrider likes this.
  15. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Keystone was always too busy for me. Liked Hill City much better
    radianrider likes this.
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Agree
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
    How to stand out at Sturgis/Keystone
    [​IMG]

The Elvira was for the Elvis rider.
    [​IMG]

The Indian FTR 1200 looks fantastic on the road
  18. radianrider

Oddometer:
    As did the Indian Scout that just went past.
  19. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had my heart and mind set on the ftr 1200. Until I sat on it. That is a young man's bike and I am not that young anymore!
  20. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Lol. Rider looked young