Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That CX550 was a fine bike in its day. There’s a young kid in the Epic Trips thread who is about to make his second cross country adventure on one he rebuilt. His first RR was a great read - lots of stuff went wrong but he persevered.

Stopped at the Indian dealer on the way home. Did NOT get on the FTR. Wife got on a Roadmaster. The more I look at Indians the more I like the look of the two HD Ultra models.

I get to ride tomorrow morning!
  2. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joel picked perfect week to not be in Central Indiana.
    The weather is epic nice in the morning for bike commuting so I've enjoyed that. Kinda.

The big stinky dialer in the mix is that they shut I70 down from 465 through downtown.

Makes it crazy getting here in the morning. But they couldn't just do that...they also have I70 down to one lane just west of the Plainfield exit. So that makes it suck going home too.

At least the downtown closure is supposed to only last a week.

465 gonna be worn out
  3. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good news is I just discovered I70 westbound west of Plainfield is open in all lanes now. That should alleviate some of the traffic on my backroad route . Yay!
  5. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Glad to hear you can get home!

We fly in tonight and I have to hit Franklin on Monday. Then back out to Maine on Monday, so good to know to avoid 465.

Good time to take the bike!
  6. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I have to get this off my chest. I am really, well I guess I don't know how i feel other than pissed off.

A young man was travelling thru indiana on his bike yesterday on our wonderful interstate system. He hit a chuck hole lost control and struck a guard rail. Cost him his life. I am so upset that our interstates are in such bad shape you can't travel safely. We have to deal with texters and just plain stupid humans enough as it is.

I don't know... I guess what I am saying is please be careful on our roads .

Maybe someday they will be safe enough for travel.

Sorry guys. This has just really hit me hard. I travel that stretch of road everyday.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    A senseless tragedy made worse because j it could have been avoided.

So sorry to hear about this accident.
  8. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Sad and very unusual.

It is easy to get lulled into a false sense of security riding the interstate and disengage from the fact you are on a bike - especially when there is little or no traffic.

I realized that while droning along on the Yellowhead Highway (which is in pretty good shape) and, again, on the AlCan (which is definitely not in good shape). I went through long periods of riding the King fairly aggressively to avoid pavement imperfections at speeds at and below the limit. Honestly, it made the long hours more enjoyable and less boring - but it required intense focus and concentration for hours at a time which can be mentally exhausting for some and physically exhausting if you are on the wrong bike.

My buddy on his Africa Twin relied on his long travel suspension and seeing how my bike reacted to a surface imperfection to decide how to react. 95% of the time he rode straight with no attempt at avoidance but he also took some hard hits. On more than occasion he was hit in the ass by the seat while standing on the pegs. I think the bump that bent my rear rim was one that I felt my internal organs get shoved against my chest cavity in the deceleration caused by the broken pavement.

And that, folks, is why I almost never take both hands off the bars at the same time when riding on cruise control.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    On a different note...thought some of you might be interested in this.

My son and I decided to make cornhole boards. He wanted to decorate them by woodburning in the design.[​IMG]
    JB2, Bhuff and jdfog2 like this.
  10. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Ticked a bucket item off last evening and got to hear Smokey Robinson in concert. Still has the voice and put on a a great show.

Spent several hours riding today. Had to get some saddle time after spending the last week watching all the fun in South Dakota while I drove an entirely forgettable Sentra.

Took no pictures today--after being off the bike for a week I just wanted to ride. Ended up in the Monroe-Morgan County Forest again, because ADVENTURE! WHOO-HOO!

Starting choking on someone's dust and soon caught up with an old man and his wife in a Fiesta. adventure, woo.

They turned right, so I went left for ADVENTURE!

Saw another bike headed my way--probably a KTM at least---nope, a clapped out Honda Rebel. adventure, woo.

Ah, well. The scenery was good, the paved roads were twisty and I had a great time being back on the bike.

Headed to Maine Tuesday and might get to try a friend's Versys 1000. Should be fun.
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, almost forgot. Etmyotic earbuds work really well.
  12. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spent 2 days mowing, spraying fence line, blocking piss poor body work on a jacked up GMC, and bleeding cooling system in my daughters cruze. Soon my head will be in the wind with Jb2. That is if the indian arrives!!!

I am sooooooo ready!
  13. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Ahhh...new bike day. The anticipation is bittersweet!
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    The good: I rode 60 miles yesterday.

The bad: It was to work so I could put in a free day for my employer.

Oh well. But I’m on a trend with two days at the gym so I’ve got that going for me.
    radianrider likes this.
  15. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Yard work. Crappy trucks. Working on cars period. There is a reason they make motorcycles! @Bhuff, my only concern is that we're both in the same place and if we leave on an adventure we might not come back.

Hope ya get the new bike this week. I'm ready!
    Bhuff likes this.
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Just took my friend's Versys 1000 for a short ride here in southern Maine. That is a lot of bike. The entire riding experience is just so different from my bike that's it feels like a different thing. Well, the riding position was very similar, but height, weight, slow speed handling were very different. I could get used to it quickly, but I immediately felt at home on the Scrambler.

Fun, but made me nervous to ride somebody else's bike.

No buffeting- for those keeping score at home- or riding a Strom :rofl
    http://imgur.com/a/6LBIxs8
    jdfog2 likes this.
  17. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the world of tall adventure bikes. It takes a few hundred miles to get accustomed to the handling and a thousand or more to get really settled into a decent skill level at low speeds. You must have felt like King Kong on top of the Empire State Building compared to the Scrambler.

Was it buzzy or smooth?

I seriously considered a Versys before I bought the Strom but the used one I rode was buzzy. Might have been just that bike but it was enough for me to mark it off the list.

If you are nervous on someone else's bike - you don't have enough insurance. ;)

I loved that orange color more than the matte black and neon green Kawasaki put on the Versys.

I saw one Versys on my Alaska trip - a guy by the name of Jimmy from San Diego on a 650. Great guy.

Beautiful weather up here. Mornings are dropping in temperature a couple degrees. I live 20 miles from work but it has been taking me 30 miles each way on Elvis this week. Truly the only part of my work day that I enjoy - the ride in and the ride home. Everything in between is just busting rocks.

Don't get eaten alive by the black flies and mosquitoes. I hear they can devour a man in mere minutes up there.
  18. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buffeting is over!

Got that Madstad and tall windscreen dialed in. So I can have almost no airflow and no buffeting (not all that nice this time of year) or I can have "mostly no buffeting" and a lot of wind noise on a low and very slanted setting. That's the one I am going with. It seems loud - but my head isn't getting beat around and my glasses aren't in danger of falling off into my helmet. IF there's a lot of sidewind then it's not perfectly head wobble free but unless you're riding a Gold Wing or hi dollar BMW I would think most people get some amount of bobble from strong side winds?

Now - getting a fork brace so I can get the front end to settle a bit when the entire light bike gets tossed around on the interstate. I stay off of that as much as possible but I may have need of it when I go on a trip soon.

I like the Versys - but then again I like almost every motorcycle. I am not cheap but I am easy. :)
    radianrider likes this.
  19. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    You know the wind is coming from directly behind you when you don’t hear any wind noise. Otherwise, headwinds or quartering winds put a bit of noise on the helmet.

Any motorcycle I can get onto and bend my legs to fit the pegs - I like for at least 15 minutes. The F800GT is the only bike I’ve attempted to ride and didn’t get out of the parking lot.
  20. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I was at my local Triumph/Ducati/Honda/Yamaha/CanAm/BMW/KTM dealer trying to pick up a new visor for my C3Pro. They didn't have one in stock so I took this picture for Joel instead. Triumph makes gorgeous bikes these days. They have a leftover 2018 TEx 1200 in Red that I love but it is so d@mned big. They also had three GSAs fully kitted out, and I know size doesn't matter once you get it going (don't tell my wife I said that), but geez those are huge bikes. I sat on a K1600GTL and, like the TEx, it took everything I had just to get if off the sidestand. I left there without any real pains of desire for anything other than the Road King I have at home. I guess it has grown on me even though it outweighs both the TEx and K16GTL. Low Cg makes all the difference.

IMG_0619.jpg