Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Wish I had a dealer close to me.

Some tasty bits on that bike I'd like to add to mine, but those plans are on hold for a while. Deb was offered the chance to reduce her hours (she went full time when the kids started college,) so most plans for upgrading bike are on hold. I'm okay with that.

I did send an email to astech.com to see if I can arrange a ride-in seat modification. Good reviews, not too far to ride in and maybe they can modify it accurately if I'm there to explain my issue. Pretty close to Jim's (JB2) house and Ivanhoe's ice cream as well.
  2. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20190810_183546.jpg
    JB2 likes this.
  3. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got her home this afternoon. Can't get the smile off my face!!
    JB2 and radianrider like this.
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike! Welcome back to the wind-in-the-face crew!
    JB2 likes this.
  5. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been too long!
    Can't wait to hit the road with JB2 in a couple of weeks. In the mean time gotta get break in service at 500 miles ( probably tommorow)
    Gonna meet up with JB tomorrow and RIDE.
    JB2 likes this.
  6. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Wish I could join you, but lots of catch up to do after vacation. Might get a short run in.
    JB2 likes this.
  7. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! The Scout is a great bike. Get those tires scrubbed in before you encounter any rain. I've read that the factory shoes on the Scout are particularly lacking in grip for the first few miles - more so than even other motorcycle tires.
  8. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I here the rear tire is only good for about 3000 miles. Will be looking into some different rubber for sure.
  9. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    No riding today. It's been raining all day. Once I got all my chores done I started on an itinerary for riding to Glacier NP next summer. You know, the down side of doing a long motorcycle trip before the 4th of July is that you have to suffer through the entire rest of the summer knowing the next big ride is a long... long... way off. I had not been back from my Alaska trip a week before I was already looking forward to skiing in Colorado this winter. Anything to speed up the calendar and get on to next summer.

I've been reading one of Ted Simon's books and I'm struck by how good of a writer he is. It's not like riding a motorcycle automatically precludes one from being a good writer. I guess the corollary of "Don't judge a book by it's cover" is "Don't judge an author by his means of transportation." I've read a bit over five hundred books in my life that I can remember, including many of the classics. [You can friend me on GoodReads to see the complete listing.] Occasionally I will be reading Ted's book and put it down because I just read something that was so good that I know I'm not going to read anything more well written. This is an example:

“To be worth making at all a journey has to be made in the mind as much as in the world of objects and dimensions. What value can there be in seeing or experiencing anything for the first time unless it comes as a revelation? And for that to happen, some previously held thought or belief must be confounded, or enhanced, or even transcended.”

And that's why I started on the Glacier route plan - I'm going to start building it in my mind. It won't be as easy as the Alaska trip where one can find plenty of ride videos, but it all starts with road numbers, town names, points of interest, etc... My wife asked what woman was going with me on this trip and I said it would be her unless she prefer I take someone else. I promised her a perch with a comfortable seat, arm rests, a new helmet (her's is not all day comfortable), helmet-to-helmet communicators, and no more than 300 miles per day at the maximum. Elvis will either have to get a tour pack, get traded in on an Ultra Limited, or be supplanted by a rental. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make her comfortable for six hours a day on a bike.

Right now the route plan is headed north of Missoula on to Kalispell and Whitefish (I would love to ski Whitefish Mountain some day) before crossing eastward through the park on Going to the Sun Road. My wife was raised in the mountains of the west and, as long as we don't run into a lot of rain, she'll love this ride.
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I have a hard time believing that. The Scout is a lightweight bike. Unless you weigh 400 lbs, ride it on cheese grader roads, or do minutes long burn-outs - I suspect the rear will go far past 3,000 miles, probably 8-10,000.

I've ridden one a few times on demo days and I think it has possibly the best engine out there. It's smooth, powerful, and not too big. I prefer water cooled engines and the Scout is the only Indian that doesn't cook your right thigh on a regular basis.

I'll check the Indian Owners Forum for more info. I peruse it frequently... because I still dream of buying an Indian even though I love my HD Road King. In many ways, Indians are like Triumph T100's and T120's - they are almost too pretty to ride.
    Bhuff likes this.
  11. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    BA2DD943-1016-4115-B4F1-B01DFB262E04.jpeg A4497585-E5A3-4270-8BF4-32F7B302CDDF.jpeg I managed to get out on the bike today for 180 mile loop. Took just these two pictures. Now I have to go back when it is open. If you’ve never been to a GAR museum, there is one in Springfield, IL, not too far from Lincoln’s home.
    JB2 likes this.
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    This is the first Scout I saw in the wild after they had been released.
    [​IMG]
    Bhuff and JB2 like this.
  13. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Bhuff's was the first one I seen in the wild. I like the way you put that. :D At any rate, I was impressed. It looked similar in geometry to my Vegas, or at least in the riding position. It also shared some similar features to the Vegas but in very different ways. My Cross Country had a lot of forged aluminum parts that my Vegas did not. The Indian's frame looks more like the CC. They are obviously from the same school of thought and bloodline. I don't know if he knows yet but I'd suspect his Scout will have similar acceleration to his old M109. That bike was fast.
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    @radianrider: Something tells me it wasn't the matte black paint job on that tank that captured your attention.

Living near Polaris HQ as I do, you can't swing a dead cat on my primary commute route without hitting a couple Scouts, a Springfield, a couple Chieftains, and at least one Roadmaster. The CEO of Polaris lives about five miles south of my house (out in the country) and he hasn't been making friends with his neighbors who have lived in the area far longer than him. It sounds like he believes that wealth affords him privileges that other people don't deserve. Who would've thunk it.
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Astonishing, 72! Wealth AND privilege? Surely not :lol3
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Appointment at astech.com seats in Jonesboro, IN on Thursday to get the seat rebuilt. Here's hoping it works.
    JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
    So...sitting in Jonesboro on a day local television said would be "pleasant." Now that I'm here...forecast is for rain.

Hope my rain gear stays dry in the garage at home. Hate for it to get wet.
    JB2 likes this.
  18. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - Dude, I'm only a few miles from you. You can borrow mine.
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim!

Hoping that what you saw in local radar id's more accurate than my weather app!

I'll keep you posted.
    JB2 likes this.
  20. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Seat done...weather clearing...phone battery dying.

Heading home!
    JB2 likes this.