Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Back home and my fears of riding in the rain without gear proved to be without merit. Turned into a beautiful day for a ride by the time I got home.

It was really getting overcast when I got to Jonesboro and I had a few sprinkles on my face shield, so the concern.

Thanks for to offer of a loan, Jim! Glad I didn't have to take you away from work to mess around with bikes. Dodged a bullet there!

Seat is better. I was hoping they wrap me in bubble wrap and I'd float home, but no such luck. Still, can tell the foam is different and I think I'll get more miles on it before I need to hop off and stretch. I was already sore from the ride up and the pain did not intensify on the way home as it has done on the last several runs.

Good day on the bike.
    jdfog2, JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  2. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Great to hear Joel. It did look like rain, I will give you that.

It'll be interesting to hear how the seat works out when you can start the ride fresh on the new version. Did they re-shape the seat any or just replace the foam? I've heard a lot of good about this people and they're right in my back yard.
  3. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Seems they did a bit of re-shaping as it feels a bit flatter and maybe a tiny bit wider at the front. Told them I like to ride up near the tank on dirt and while cornering.

Look forward to getting a longer run when I haven't spent two hours getting sore first.

I'd like to get back up your way at some point before riding season is over. You've come this way the last couple of times.

Really enjoyed the bike and the ride today. Like it even better after trying my friend's Versys 1000. Just to big and too tall for me to get comfortable with quickly. Felt at home on the Triumph on my first ride and it still feels great to me.
    JB2 and jdfog2 like this.
  4. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joel. I hope that new seat works out well!
    I channel some of my "inner KLR" and have been riding with a Coleman ATV seat pad from WalMart for most of the Stroms life. Classy, I know, right?

I keep thinking I want a better seat but I am a tightwad AND the last 2 or 3 Springs I have thought I'd trade the Strom so why spend all that money. As I prepare for my first multi day long trip ride in 30 plus years I guess I'll get plenty of butt time to think about that. Been thinking about an Alaska Leather Co. Sheepskin for the trip. Not too expensive. For sure am putting a fork brace on before I depart. Hope to cut down on the "roving" when I have to use the super slab at 75plus mph.

You guys be safe.
    JD
    JB2 and radianrider like this.
  5. radianrider

Oddometer:
    "Inner KLR" :lol3 Not until you add a milk crate.

Are you going to post up about your trip? Give us a link if you do.

Plenty of used seats for the Strom. Could probably buy one and then sell it again for similar money if you trade in the bike.
    JB2 likes this.
  6. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you figure out a route plan?
  7. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, let’s not go besmirching milk crates. Have some respect.
    JB2 likes this.
  8. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    I was just about to offer Joel a milk crate. Breath deep man, place yourself in that KLR moment. When you get there call me, I got your fix! :beer
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Oh, so you are loaning him the duct tape? :jack

And no besmirching of the milk crate intended! Few things designed for one task have proven so able to fulfill so many different jobs!
    JB2 likes this.
  10. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Semester starts Wed. I lost nearly 5 weeks of rambling time due to back injury and vacation and figured I'd better get a ramble in before my life gets crazy.

Wanted to test my seat to see if I spent my money wisely on the Astech Seat option.

Left the house at 8:54 and stopped at the Spenser Coffee House at 10:54. Seat appears to be a qualified success. Mild discomfort, but far better than it was. Not as good as the seat on the SV...but I suspect few will be.

Beautiful day for a ride. Lower humidity than I expected...but that could change after all the rain last night.

Lunch than more rambling.
    JB2 likes this.
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Coffee review for Spenser Coffee. House.
    Well...it's hot. Otherwise...meh.
    JB2 likes this.
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Left Spenser and headed up to Bowling Green via 46. Nice ride.

Turned right onto Bowling Green Poland Rd. Much better road. Last here with Jdog and falconpunchone a couple of years ago. That is a good road.

Sitting in Poland having a water. The heat index has picked up considerably and it is getting to be hot!. Glad I went for the ride this a.m. while it wasn't too bad. Going to be a hot ride home.

This bike is a great companion for this type of ramble and I'm grinning in my helmet most of the time.
    Bhuff and JB2 like this.
  13. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Back home at 2:30. Took a few minutes off the bike a couple of times and could have ridden further. It is, however, very hot out there right now. Cold watermelon after a hot ride goes down great!

Did notice the gel pack absorbs heat from the sun, but it dissipates quickly once back on the bike. Rode for two hours without a break and then some pretty good chunks of time between breaks. I think this option worked.

A few cell pics from the day. I probably should edit them first, but here they are anyway

A random muddy stream
    [​IMG]

From the saddle
    [​IMG]

Several retired gentlemen enjoying the sun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sitting in the shade in Poland.
    [​IMG]

Stream feeding into the spillway at the Cagle-Mills Dam. The road in was just as bad as I remembered when Jdfog tooks us in the first time. Had a bike better equipped to handle it this time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped at Hoy Vintage Motorcyles to talk to the guys on the way home. We are planning to shoot the first (we hope) of a series to be called On the Bench. The mechanics will talk about the bikes they are working on at the time. Probably post up on their Facebook page if we get a product we like. Test run tomorrow at 10 a.m.

I missed a cool old Jawa they were working on while my back was out. Probably feature a BMW R90S in the first video.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have some stills I took of the mechanics' personal bikes in the shop on Saturday. Steve hosted a hog roast to celebrate two years in business. I'll edit those and post a few here.
    Bhuff, JB2 and popscycle like this.
  14. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - Great reflection on what looked to be a great day of riding. (Pun intended, see if anyone else can find it :wave) Looks like you may have partially made up for the lost weeks this summer. Glad to hear the seat is working out for you. Looks like there might be room for a mil...

The bridge shot rocks. You really should post that in the Photos page under "Show us your bike @ the bridge" .

:*sip*
    radianrider likes this.
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Wondered if anyone would mention it:lol3
    JB2 likes this.
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    JB2 likes this.
  17. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I concur. Great pics!

Of course several of those sights are in my normal stomping grounds so they aren't exactly unfamiliar.
    that bridge pic appears to be the bridge over Eel Creek on the Poland to Reelsville / Manhatten Road (both leading to US 40) or over Deer Creek a mile or so away near where it dumps into Eel Creek. But - that might be entirely wrong and that could be an Owen County kinda thing. AKA "Owentucky" around these here parts. :)

And in answer to a question from RD a day or so ago - Nope. Haven't decided on a route - or even a destination - yet. Want to do the Lake Michigan and Lake Superior thing - but also am thinking of a cross country (country being the key word) non-Interstate kinda ride through the Ozarks eventually ending up in Central Oklahoma to visit family for a couple of days then turning around and taking a different route home.

p.s. - that picnic table (or one of it's ancestors - that one looks refreshed maybe.) That is exactly where I sat and heard the story from the peg leg Honda Shadow rider a few years ago. I am pretty sure I shared that story in this very thread a few months or so ago. And it was on that same Bowling Green - Poland Road that his leg and he started their separation and eventual "divorce." And the city people tell me life is boring out here :)
    radianrider and JB2 like this.
  18. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Count the likes! :D BTW, I forgot there's one that should be in "Picture Of The Picture Taker". Cools shots all.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    And there will be no "Mil" anything on this bike. :lol3
    JB2 likes this.
  20. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I guarantee that your guess is better than mine. I have no idea where I was and am not sure how I got to Spenser--just the way I like it!

Actually planned at lunch how to get to Poland. I was a bit surprised when I actually made it. Things usually go awry for me when I plan something.
    JB2 and jdfog2 like this.