Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awry ? That thar is a collug perfessor word! Like "A Catcher in the Awry"
    Ok, so I am Goofy. (My son is Daffy) ;)

My work is like NOT superfun the past year or so so I have to act out a bit or I will go crazee :)
    I think it's improving. It wasn't the work so much as it is a new position and the training was - well, there wasn't any.
    I guess when you're 58 years old and have a reputation for gettin er dun training is optional. :)
    I'm figuring it out. And oh boy, my predecessor was not getting it all done.
    So I am finding new surprises that need fixed weekly

Thanks for letting me vent LOL
    JD
    JB2 likes this.
  2. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Lol! Trying to get back into the mode. Faculty meeting tomorrow, classes start Monday. I need to be edumacated.
  3. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Thought you might enjoy these shots from Hoy Vintage Motorcycle second-year celebration on Aug. 17th. Most of these are owned by the mechanics. A few are customer bikes. The place is like a candy store most of the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sigh. Back to the grind today.
    popscycle and JB2 like this.
  4. Shep

Shep Vagabond

Oddometer:
    If you ever decide to take ride south into Bourbon Country shoot me a message and I'll see if I can satisfy your coffee fix. I've been roasting for about 18 years. In fact, I owned a roasting business up in Bloomington for about 4 years before selling it to a competitor and moving to Louisville. I'm still a bit of a coffee geek.
    radianrider likes this.
  5. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I'll take you up on that once I get beyond work life and the borders of IN!
    JB2 likes this.
  6. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Beautiful day to run errands on the bike. Stopped at Danville BMV, swung by the local farm market for tomatoes and had a long chat with a guy about bikes.

Took the long-way home and found myself following the only other modern resto-Triumph I have seen in the wild. One the really pretty orange-sicle Bonnevilles. Beautiful.

Thought about seeing if I could get him to stop, but thought he'd think I was weird.

I prefer to let that realization slip up on people as opposed to revealing it all at once.
    JB2 likes this.
  7. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think we’re obviously weird to most people and delaying the obvious is no virtue.

I was so distraught by your Luck news that I went for what turned out to be a 380 mile loop today. Southeast Minnesota is different from the rest of the state in geographic/geologic terms. Sort of like southern Indiana versus northern Indiana. My target was Lanesboro, a quaint town far from highways with 18 miles of the curviest road in the state toward Rushford.

I pulled out of the driveway at 8:30am hopping onto freeways to get as quickly as possible to Rochester - home of the Mayo Clinic. Getting out of MSP was fine but US-52 was already getting bothersome. By the time I came upon the exit to Cannon Falls I was tired of it so I took the exit.

Bad picture day started to unveil itself. I tend to have a critical eye for what I want to see through the lens and it wasn’t happening today.

The falls at Cannon Falls.

875DC7A7-9544-423D-9777-77BD49DFD841.jpeg

Regardless of the picture falling flat, I was happier being off US-52 so I stopped at Zumbrota next to see the only remaining covered bridge in Minnesota.

B0AFE4AF-E0AF-47E9-8E0D-2520A824F987.jpeg

Notice it has no roof. I don’t know if the metal one newly installed is temporary but it ruins the character of the structure.

From there it was back on US-52 because the 130 mile run (one way) was now taking longer than I wanted. I got through Rochester and just when US-52 dropped down to a curvy, hilly two lane at Chatfield there were barricades and detour signs that put me on I-90 eastbound toward LaCrosse for 10 miles or so. Even though the King is a big touring bike that can do 75mph with ease - I don’t like doing 75mph on a bike or in a car. My speed days are over. I like 60mph. It gives me time to appreciate my surroundings.

Eventually the detour directed me off the interstate and some miles later I was plopped back onto US-52 directly in front of barricades. A few miles later I made the turn onto County Rd 8 and enjoyable riding began.

I’ve been to Lanesboro before so this isn’t new to me. The road climbs hundreds of feet and then drops hundreds of feet, sometimes straight, sometimes sweeping in a long gentle curve. I am surrounded by corn and soybeans. From high atop the highest crests, nothing but corn and soybeans for as far as the eye can see with an occasional farmhouse, barn, and agricultural paraphernalia strewn about the yard.

The road drops into a valley, makes a sharp 20mph bend and, almost out of nowhere, you’re in Lanesboro. I hang a left and start looking for bikes parked on the street because I’m hungry and I know Minnesota bikers will sniff out the best grub in town. I spot two Harley’s in front of the Home Sweet Home Cafe and plant Elvis next to them.

I’ve been to Mexico, Europe, Taiwan, and India and eaten local culinary fare in each but I’ve decided that I can ride a motorcycle only to places that have BLT’s. The tomatoes on this particular BLT were local, fresh picked, generously apportioned, and delicious. More like a blTTT sandwich which is fine by me. Some people eat BLT’s for the bacon, but only a true Midwesterner eats them for the tomatoes. The B and L are just there so non-Midwesterners don’t think we’re weird or something.

5DDD8C67-3EE3-4B0D-AD14-0D1D5A0E00C5.jpeg

With lunch out of the way it was time to devour some curves. Google Lanesboro in Google Maps and look at the road to Rushford along the River. I swear I went so far around one curve that I ended up at the same place I entered the curve. All I could think was, “This is what eastern Tennessee and West Virginia are like all day long.”

I had been gassing up every 40-60 miles all morning so I pulled in next to a new Harley trike at the pumps in Rushford. The guy came out and we chatted about our bikes for a few minutes before filling up. He was a local. I had seen about two dozen riders or more on the curvy bits or headed to or coming off. After topping off my tank and resetting the 8 minute bladder timer I did the 18 miles in reverse back to Lanesboro.

There is a motorcycle leather shop and Inn at Lanesboro. They were just getting going when my wife and I were there two years ago but they run an admirable business today.

6EED94CE-4BDF-4674-9A0C-764483A97A24.jpeg
    Bad picture day in full force. The mural is cool though and so is their store.

With that it was time to turn toward home. I think it was 2:30pm. I headed north out of Lanesboro toward Utica.

After some incredibly tight turns climbing steeply uphill, the road straightened out to long undulations bounded by, you guessed it, corn. I didn’t know exactly where I was but I knew at some point I would cross I-90. And then there were cars and trucks rising out of the corn on the left and right descending back into the corn: I-90 had an overpass over this Road Through the Corn.

A few miles later I came to the highlight of my day. Excluding I-90, I had not encountered any traffic or signs since leaving Lanesboro but here was a Stop sign. Cross traffic was not required to stop but there was no cross traffic visible in either direction. There was, however, a vehicle approaching the Stop sign opposite me.

My first thought was to grab the iPhone out of my pocket and take a picture. I had time. But my second thought was to be respectful so I sat there until the Amish buggy came to a stop. Once it pulled to the far right side of its lane, I crossed the intersection on the far right side of my lane with minimal throttle and noise so as to not spook the horses. As I passed, I waved, and two Amish teenage boys waved back.

Goodhue county has a sizable Amish population and I’ve seen plenty of Amish people before. But something about the isolation of this encounter made it unique and meaningful.

I was still several miles from Utica and I made a point to look for the Amish homesteads where these boys lived. At the intersection they were no less than five miles from home and ten miles from town.

Gassing up in Utica weather radar showed green stuff moving in a direction that prompted me to route around it. I remained on two lane roads the rest of the way arriving home around 6:45pm.
    popscycle and JB2 like this.
  8. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    63E9808F-97C3-4686-97D3-CB4522D8F5CE.jpeg Oh, almost forgot. I took this pic just for you guys: my first sighting of the Yamapottamus in the wild.

And a pic of the inside of the bridge.

8F3D379E-F78B-4424-BF3C-C1343D9F1C87.jpeg
    popscycle and jdfog2 like this.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Good stuff.

I bought some tomatoes while out running around on the bike Saturday. I risked non-midwesteners thinking I was weird by eating a BLT without the B & L.
    JB2 and jdfog2 like this.
  10. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I don't normally like to commute to work, but knowing that several friends were out riding made it seem like a good idea today.

It was. The weather was cool for the ride in and not too hot for the ride home.

I am a bit worried about the youth of today. Three different college students, upon seeing me dressed like Power Ranger and carrying a motorcycle helmet asked if I rode my bike in to work.

Umm...yeah, sure did. Sheesh. Need a bit of work on the critical thinking skills.

Took IN-44 out of Franklin to Martinsville after work. It is a fun route with lots of twists and elevation changes. Stopped in Martinsville for something to drink and one of the worst cheese danishes I have ever eaten.

Left Martinsville and found that the road has been recently paved. Nice! I turned left off IN-67 onto Observatory Road and it had been recently paved, then onto Goat Hollow road and it had been...well, you get the idea. Nice riding!
    JB2 likes this.
  11. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I get that some days from people old enough to know better. I am kind and refrain from a snarky response.

I commuted three days this week. Minus one day for rain and a second just to break things up. The morning lows are 52-53F so picking up some insulated riding gloves is on my agenda today... also gives me an excuse to see the 2020 colors - some of which are more my taste than the current pallet of earth tones. IDK WTF HD is thinking with gray and tan and brown bikes but auto makers are doing it too. I saw a new Toyota pickup truck yesterday that was, I kid you not, gray brown. I had to ask my buddy what color he saw to make sure I wasn’t going color blind.

Top soil and mulch are getting delivered today for a landscaping project. No big miles planned.

It dawned on me a few weeks ago: there are not any epic roads nearby to ride, but I have a pretty d@mned good commute for riding compared to most people. It’s mostly a scenic country drive until the last five miles and I recently found a good riding road for some of that. If you have SLR worthy photo opportunities on your commute then maybe it’s ok not living near epic riding.

As I traveled this year it struck me that Americans agree only on one thing: we want good roads. So we are spending federal tax money tearing up and replacing roads other countries would die for. Worn, but serviceable. Our tolerance for imperfection is declining. I know you have some poor roads in Indiana, as evidenced by the recent rider’s death, but I suspect it is somewhat consistent with tax levels and worn out McPhearson struts. There is no free lunch.

I have seen a lot of new asphalt and concrete this summer. In fact, I have to pay my city $1,500 because they re-paved my neighborhood, including in front of my house.

Garage needs cleaned and floor washed to get ready for winter. Saw a bike dolly on YT the other day. Still not sure where I’m storing Elvis this winter.
    JB2 likes this.
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    HD is apparently getting its paint cues from Subaru. And the Pan-America windscreen looks a lot like a headlamp I use in the garage. Made me laugh when I first saw it.

Hard to believe it is getting into the '50's already. We are seeing '60's fairly regularly, but it warms up nicely during the day.

I'm okay on the bike storage, but I am contemplating storing the Miata off-site so I don't have to scrape ice off the commuting vehicle this winter. That chore loses its charm quickly.
    jdfog2 and JB2 like this.
  13. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    My local river road is scenic and curvy enough to bring out the Twin Cities Miata Club a couple times a year. Must be getting close to winter because we got passed in town last weekend by thirty topless Miatas in a poker run. Next town down river has a historic restaurant and I’ve seen them congregate there.

I think HD is too late to the ADV game regardless of looks and styling. I know the Transalp was a V-Twin but it’s really the wrong engine configuration for ADV riding because it is simply too heavy. The only reason BMW gets a pass on the GS is because the Cg is so low and the cylinder heads prevent it from falling too far over. We’ll have to wait and see whether HD launches a new line of Indiana Jones pirate garb to go with the bike.

Landscaping project done. Body recovering.

Did not get gloves. Daughter’s car needed an oil change and tire rotation which turned into new tires. Winter is better with more than 1/32 tread depth.

Supposed to have lunch today with fellow inmate JLevers of Clunk infamy. If you haven’t seen his threads, I encourage you to check them out. His current Return of the Clunk is on Epic Rides.
    jdfog2, radianrider and JB2 like this.
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    42A010C4-240E-453B-8FAB-DA7F5D7BCB29.jpeg

Co-worker purchased a new bike - KZ900 I think. The AT behind is the one that another co-worker rode to Alaska with me - it has a new rear tire. That green is so cool looking. Engine sounds sweet too.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I think the KZ retro is a great looking bike.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  16. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Sad to say, but today might have been the last riding day of the season for me. The weather has been poor and it is going to be poor going forward. However, today was 80F with a break in the storm clouds. I got out for a hundred mile ride to pick up two quarts of oil for my garden tractor.

Get your riding in while you can.

Almost forgot: I finished reading Elspeth Beard’s book about her ride around the world in 82-84 on a BMW. Think about what you were doing then. I graduated from Avon high school in 1983 and I can’t fathom what such a ride would have been like in that era. Her description of India seems unchanged from my short visit in 2016, but I couldn’t imagine riding India back then with far less information than we have today.
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
    That is not good news...but winter is indeed coming.

We are in the '90's right early this week, but our ride up to JB2's place is likely to be a bit chilly this Saturday.
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    FD5744CC-9F72-49AB-BC45-D48988A37509.jpeg From the October issue of Rider.
  19. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My moto is wondering why its not in Bloomington, IN for the first weekend in October...

For the past 6 years, I've ridden up to visit my daughter and son-in-law and friends at IU.

They've finished up and are now in New Zealand...

Always enjoyed the ride up and back, two lane roads only...

NFE
    radianrider likes this.
  20. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    It’s almost 30 degrees warmer here in Indy than back in MN. Feels nice.