1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Got together with jdfog, JB2 and Bhuff yesterday for a ride through a part of Indiana that I haven't been through--on bike or car. jdfog showed at my place at 8:00 a.m. in 49-degree weather having left home 45 minutes earlier.

We had planned to head north to meet up at JB2's place and Jay and I were to head home on Sunday. The weather forecast for Sunday promised rain, so a change in plans occurred.

We headed for the thriving metropolis of Green Forks, Indiana to meet up with JB2 and Bhuff at the Green Forks Family Diner for breakfast. We took I-70 through Indy as it was going to be an hour-and-a-half even going on the interstate.

If you've been following along with this thread you'll know that interstate riding is not my favorite thing to do on a bike, but it was okay. We did run into an issue in downtown as the interchange between I-70 and I-65 was closed. Fortunately, Jay had his gps running and he got us through town and back on to I-70.

I did tell him that I hoped this was not going to be my favorite part of the day. Spoiler alert--it wasn't.

JB2 had headed south in 41-degree weather. We arrived a bit late, and spotted a Yammie and an Indian parked alongside the road in downtown.

Breakfast was good (and the coffee was good and hot) and the company was good.

We headed out to the bikes after breakfast and good conversation. This was the first time for jdfog to meet up with JB2 and Bhuff.
    [​IMG]

We left town and rode past Bhuff's place--no pictures as he is trying to reduce the opportunities for y'all to stalk him. :lol3 Actually, we had just started riding and nobody wanted to stop for pictures. Pretty much the theme for the day. Winter is coming--ride while you can!

We headed south past Brookville Lake and toward Metamora. Turned out that there was some kind of festival taking place in Metamora and the traffic was nuts. So, we took a break.
    [​IMG]

From R to L, Jim's Yamaha, Jay's WeeStrom, my Triumph and Brian's Scout.

The Scout is the newest addition, so it deserves a closer look.
    [​IMG]

Jim's still has red mud in odd places (see https://advrider.com/f/threads/misadventures-of-a-hoosierbilly-motorcycle-tramp.925117/) and we spent time on breaks pointing out yet more mud spots.

We eventually got past Metamora and headed south to Oldenburg. Pretty sure the sign above the guys was in reference to something else.
    [​IMG]

Brian and Jim headed back north about 3:30 and Jay and I headed back west. My seat was better on this trip, but by the time we hit Edinburgh I was ready to get off the bike. We needed to keep rolling so Jay could get back to Greencastle before hormone-addled deer headed out for a night of romance.

My wife had ordered C.J's pizza (my favorite local pizza joint) and life was good.

Had a great time laughing and riding with the guys, my $20 leather-jacket purchase turned out to be the perfect gear for the day and it ended with pizza. That'll do.
    popscycle, jdfog2, JB2 and 2 others like this.
  2. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Great ride to all. The rain held off mostly overnight. It rained for about 15 minutes as I was typing out a report but stopped before I finished. However, it is raining cats and dogs out right now. I think I'll pull the Yamaha outside and let nature do some of the detail work. Gonna be tough to remove that SD/WY mud... like trying to get all the hay out of a barn.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  3. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does it mean you aren't grown up if you look out the window at work and day dream about riding with friends ? A. lot. ???

Asking for a friend. :D
    Shep, 72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  4. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    No, it just means that, like Cody Jinks says, "All my friends are the same kind of crazy as me."
    jdfog2 likes this.
  5. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Amen.
    jdfog2 and JB2 like this.
  6. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Had my fall break this week and I usually try to get at least one solid day of riding in, if weather permits.

The weather wasn't really the issue this time. We are working on a documentary about Kurt Vonnegut and his book, Slaughterhouse Five. The book turns fifty this year and we (along with WFYI) decided it deserved some notice.

So, Wednesday at 1:15 we loaded up and headed out to Quincy, MA. We spent the nght in Buffalo and hit Boston about 4:30, did the interview with Kurt's son Mark and headed out for Weehawken, NJ. Spent Thursday wandering around NYC getting some shots of Kurt's former neighborhood--interviewed Mark Leeds, a noted Vonnegut scholar, and Sidney Offit--an author and Vonnegut's best friend. Loaded back in the car early Saturday morning and got home at about 10:00.

I'm tired. 2003 miles in 3.5 days with only two drivers.

So, I waited until after the Colts won today I NEEDED some bike time. I hit my "hour" roads--you know, the ones you hit when you only have an hour to refresh your soul on the bike.

Sweet! Most of them have new pavement on them--and NOT chip and seal coating!

Very few pictures as I wanted to get some riding in before the deer population goes on its quest to increase itself.

[​IMG]

Loved the river reflection as I went by.

And the shadow from the cockpit. [​IMG]

And that was about it for the ride today.

I did spend some time thinking about the coming end of the riding season. I know Mike has deposited Elvis into the tender loving care of his dealer for winter storage-a sure sign that winter is coming.

I hope I'll get some more time in as I am in less than 100 miles from the 4k mark. I had hoped to get more miles in this summer, but the back issue and vacation time slowed me down. Always hope for more next summer!

A shot from Weehawken, even though no riding was done. History happened a half-a-block from our hotel. [​IMG]

Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton settled their differences--permanently.
    JB2, popscycle and jdfog2 like this.
  7. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know, Joel, miles like that can get you to Alaska! ;). Just sayin’.

Frankly, I was surprised the Colts won. I expected them to have more difficulty than they did.

Lots of winter preparations around the house this weekend. Everything but the grill is off the deck. Flower boxes are emptied. Johnny Deere got an oil change today and the 18cuft trailer got loaded into the shed which required the shed to get organized. I NEED A BIGGER SHED like Quint (Robert Shaw) needs a bigger boat.

The deck is still on the tractor as there’s still 50% of leaves on the trees. And that means the snow blower attachment is still in the shed. Means you guys still have a month of riding... I think that’s the Commutative Property of Midwest Motorcycling... or maybe the Associative.

I did not get out to play the last nine holes of the season but I did sleep in late both days and walked a total of eight miles for health and beauty. :)

My last ride was 80 miles through farm country. I cleaned the bike up before I left and it was almost useless. I got behind a farm truck at one point that was leaving a cloud of dust and detritus in his wake.

I watched some YT videos of the Cassiar Highway - the route to Alaska I didn’t take... considered it for the return... but stuck to the plan... 6,900 miles would have turned into 7,900 or more... but at least I wouldn’t have frozen my plums off in Alberta on Canada Day.

Videos got me thinking about whether I could do Alaska Part 2. All I need is six of the nine planets to align. I don’t care what they say - Pluto IS a planet.

And so it is, the riding season is over and I already feel lost. My wife is wondering when I’m going to start watching ski videos but I’m not in the mood. Loveland did get six inches today and will open in a week or two but due to the vagaries of the calendar I won’t be going for my birthday which is Thanksgiving weekend. Keystone opened last Friday - a whopping 44 acres. Stop the marketing BS. Our local Pimple Hill is bigger than 44 acres!

So there you have it: I’m on suicide watch from riding withdrawal. It’s too long to May. I won’t make it.

I considered riding Elvis to El Paso and putting him in a storage unit so I could fly down and ride over winter. I know too many people in Phoenix. None of them riders. They wouldn’t understand.

And if all that wasn’t bad enough: I have to go to WORK tomorrow. Shoot me now.
  8. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    So I'm flooding the floor with crocodile tears after reading RD's post and finding Elvis is in storage? What is storage anyway?

Joel - I like you term "hour rides". I have a few on my list. Brian and I were going to go riding this weekend but farm duty called and I believe he was cutting beans with his father-in-law. Late Saturday I removed the lower exhaust shields and some of the scratched parts from the Scrambler. I got the scratches sanded and primed but had them ready to re-install just in case Brian called. I did find more of that beautiful Wyoming mud caked and baked between the shields and the exhaust. Yard work was the call for Sunday. I don't watch football, or any sports for that matter but, good to hear the Colts won. Especially after Luck left and everyone had them down for the count. I could have re-installed the parts and gone riding late yesterday but decided to start the prep-work for painting.

More good days yet to come even in November and early December. I think your mileage is achievable. For all of my downtime last summer and this spring I've almost caught you. More day-trippin' is in order.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  9. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    There are worse things than winter - like a motorcycle laying on the garage floor with a big dent in the tank and the gear box of the snowblower exploded everywhere from ingesting a Harley Davidson floorboard made of steel.

I like to think that I would never do anything like that... but I'm old enough to know that I absolutely could do something like that.

Storage includes an oil change, fuel stabilization, a tender on the battery, and safety inspection. More importantly, it gets Elvis out of my garage and on their site so that I can have them replace the tires during the winter lull in business.
  10. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I need to clarify my last post...I meant 4k total miles, not this season. At least I got more miles this season than last!

I do expect more time in the saddle this fall and I'll hit it the 4k mark easily. Haven't even had to break out the three-season jacket yet!
    jdfog2 likes this.
  11. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RD - you're my new hero! Anyone that has the mastery of the language to use the word "detritus" in proper context, has the huevos to do so on a motorcycle web site, and rides a Harley is awesome. (Actually, any two of those combined are pretty good) Yes, I probably totally just screwed the pooch on that Oxford comma thing. (Sorry Professor Joel).

Nice ride reports Joel! I bet we can find at least two "ride to eat" dates/times we could meet up with our pals from the other side of the I-65 divide. That would increase your odometer. I started the year in the low 33,xxx's and am about 600 miles from turning over 40,000. (My goal for this year)

Jim- yard work is underrated as a form of honest work. It's satisfying to get something done for yourself and family. But too much of that doesn't fall under the category "too much of a good thing is a good thing." Motorcycling however is a match for that! So is working on your motorcycle to spruce it up a bit like you've been doing. I wish I had that kind of creative skill.

Brian - if you're driving a grain truck keep that mask on when you're at the field and dump pit. That bean dust is nothing to joke around with. I imagine if you're in a Combine it's new enough to have all kinds of filters? Anyway, take care and be safe!

You guys take care!
    Bhuff and JB2 like this.
  12. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Isn’t that quaint. :imaposer

:rofl:clap
  13. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    True Story: In the midst of a technical problem I once had at work, a customer asked derisively in a conference room full of people, “Did you use a dart board or a ouija board to arrive at that conclusion?”. Without blinking I called him by name and said, “I take umbrage at that remark.” He said, “Fair enough. And I give you extra credit for using “umbrage” .
  14. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Well, I do what I can.
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Odometer is now at 4002. :D

Lots of rain yesterday...but today was nice. Got about 1.5 hours on it today and enjoyed it immensely.

Lots of color in spite of heavy rain and wind yesterday. Very few bikes out, but some of us are still trying to get some saddle time. Rode southwest of Plainfield had took Cartersburg Rd. back up to Danville. Most everybody seemed pretty mellow out there today and I think it is because we all know the gray days of winter are not far off. We want to enjoy the bright sunshine and blue skies for as long as we can.

Only one pic today...too busy riding.
    [​IMG]
  16. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    It eventually made it to the mid-50's here yesterday but the prairie wind was a constant 20-30mph. After hitting the gym first thing in the morning I stopped to fill up a gas can for johnny Deere. There was a group of a half-dozen Harleys parked at the gas station with men and women riders inside trying to warm up from the 42F outside temperature. I noticed one of them wearing a jacket with a big "Freedom Chasers" patch on the back. It appeared to me that maybe they had found more Freedom than they had bargained for.

I needed to renew tabs for three vehicles so Mrs. RD accompanied me to the DMV/library. (Seriously, our high throughput DMV is located in the same building as one of the biggest county libraries.) I was a bit concerned doing this mid-morning on a Saturday but fifteen minutes and $374 dollars later I was roaming the motorcycle section of the library looking for something interesting to take home to read. No luck though I might have been a bit picky.

While the wife and I were out, I saw several diehard riders enjoying what looks like our last fifty degree day of the year. I was passed by a guy on a Ducati giving her the beans. The forecast looks pretty miserable from here on out.

We lost over 50% of our leaves during a couple days of cold rain this week. That was the signal for me to put the freshly sharpened mulching blades on the mower deck and take a spin around the back yard.

Today is a typical overcast, gloomy, cold and breezy Fall day. The highlight will probably be the latest Motorcycles & Misfits podcast which I listened to at the gym. I'm hoping by the time I make it to NFL highlight reels of the day that the Colts were able to out duel the other horse team. I'm still a little bit torqued the Pacers haven't been able to win a game yet.
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Well, the Colts pulled it out and Deb and I went for a long walk along a new trail in a local park. Topped it off with a trip to McAllister's for supper.

Still a bright sunny day, but the sun is dipping down toward the tree line.

I hope to get some more days in the saddle, but this has been a weird fall. Lots of trees still wearing their summer finery, while others are dressed for the ball--and it is almost November.

I wandered through Dreyer Motorsports the other day on the way home. Saw this custom job in the parking lot and thought you all might enjoy it. Cushman with a 400cc twin in it. Well done and well-thought-out custom. Bet it could be a handful to ride.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is one of Pop Dreyer's bikes from back in the day. Sidecar swivels on its mounts to keeps its wheel on the ground during cornering.
    [​IMG]

Talked to one of the salesmen after he approached while I was looking at the Honda CB500X. I think it could have been a contender had it not been for the Street Scrambler. He asked if I had seen the CB750X. Nice bike, but it could be better if it had a larger, more dirt oriented wheel on the front. Still, at 81 mpg it would make a great longer-distance tourer.

Not interested in a new bike--I just like to wander through and see what there is to see.
    JB2 likes this.
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    The first home my parents purchased was on west Washington within easy walking distance to Dreyer. That was around 1968. I took my RD there in 1981 for new Dunlops to replace the factory OEM Dunlops. I also took it there once for service. They were good to me even though I was just a teenager. IIRC, they also had BMW back in the day. I'll have to stop in there on my next trip.

I test rode the CB500F before I bought the VStrom. It reminded me a lot of the RD. Small, lightweight, nimble. It was a used bike with 3,000 miles and was buttery smooth up to 6,000 rpm. It was a bit too small and, knowing I wanted to do some long distance rides, I took out a new CB500X. The X engine felt totally different not being broken in yet. That particular X did not have ABS and that pretty well killed any further consideration. I still kind of regret not buying the F though. It didn't have ABS either. I don't think there are many better bikes for beginner or returning riders.

Same dealer had a used NC700X that I took out. The NC was a perfect bike without a hint of soul anywhere in its loins. I don't know if you've ever driven a Honda Fit, but the NC is literally half of a Fit engine. If you want to know what riding an NC is like - just take a Fit for a test drive. You have to keep the engine wound up to get any power out of it. I rode the manual shift NC - I can't image how gutless it is with the DCT. It's a great bike if you are a hyper miler obsessed with mpg's, otherwise you'll likely fall asleep riding it.

Same dealer had a used VStrom and that's how I decided to go with the Wee 650.

No question in my mind your Triumph is the best of all those bikes. You've got more low end grunt than all of those bikes combined.

I think I mentioned that I saw a lot of Tigers on my trip to Alaska - easily a half dozen or more. I really like the 800XrT although I have not ridden one. I just think it is the perfect sized bike... and it has cruise control. The 1200 is too big for me. Too heavy. Too tall. I'd never be able to wake one from a nap by myself. It's one of those tall adventure bikes like the Versys (?) 1000 you rode.

Glad to see the Colts won. There was a whole lot of mediocre and bad football in the NFL this weekend.
    radianrider likes this.
  19. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for capturing a great shot of that custom Cushman Eagle. I am reminded of my 1950s Cushman Eagle that got me to grade school, work and misc. country (mis)adventures. It was a sweet, if somewhat anemic (with a centrifugal cluth) scoot. That rig, however, would be a real gas.
  20. radianrider

Oddometer:
    My pleasure! I havea fondness for them, but have never ridden one.

I bet the parallel twin solved the anemic part of the equation!
    popscycle likes this.