Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    8B8A66DF-4519-4597-AE7B-7548F94AB165.jpeg On Tuesday night I picked up a spare Schuberth C3 helmet from Craigslist for $60. Admittedly I didn’t check it out too closely when I met the Seller as it was in the original Schuberth cover and he had the factory paperwork for it so it wasn’t stolen which was my primary concern. The guy was the original owner.

As I was driving home I began to notice an odor in my car. It was the helmet. The guy had stopped riding a few years ago and put the helmet in his basement. When I got home I took a whiff and holy moly IT WAS BAD! It smelled like a cat had used it for a litter box.

I removed all the liners and threw them in the washing machine. They came out smelling clean and fresh. So today while we have snow on the ground and riding season is six months away - I am trying to get the smell out of the non-removable portions of the helmet.

The side benefit is:
    a) I’ll know this helmet can handle a rainstorm
    b) I’ll know never to trust a guy who rides a Honda
  2. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Lol! You are braver than I am. Not buying a used helmet from anybody.

Got the bike out for a few miles (20) this afternoon. Very pretty, but cool day to ride. Had to stop at one point to zip up my fleece around my throat. Adam's apple was getting very chilly.

Didn't see any other bikes out, but I really enjoyed myself for the time I was out. My usual "hour-ride route" was interrupted by a detour, but I found some reasonable alternatives and had a lot of fun.

No pictures as I left my camera at home. You'll have to imagine it. Good luck!
  3. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Hours of submersion in hot water with a bit of laundry detergent appears to have worked. The helmet now smells like various versions of Tide we had on hand.

I would not have bothered, but I need spare helmets of multiple sizes for the occasional guest rider. It’s not something I want to spend a lot of money on, but I do want the helmets to be high quality. This one was manufactured in 2012 but the EPS is in good condition - likely a result of our cooler temperatures.

I don’t know about Shoei and Arai, but Schuberth’s can be dis-assembled for washing the key components. I have never taken my primary helmet apart so, worst case, the Craigslist helmet was a guinea pig for learning how to do it without breaking anything.

Our temp was 39F for most of the day. Clouds parted for an hour of sunshine and the temp made it to 43F. Saw one guy on a Harley. He looked cold.
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
  5. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Nice but it violates my one rule for old bikes: No drum front brakes. That pretty well limits me to 72-73-74 as the oldest bikes I’ll ever ride.

I'm currently sitting in the bleacher seats watching the Harley and Indian fan boys loose their collective sh!t over the new Challenger launched by Indian. It's amazing how adults, in this case mostly 40-70 year olds, can be sent into fits of adolescence by a challenge to their brand identity. It's a bike, for heaven's sake, not a religion.

By all respects, the Challenger looks like a well designed and thought out bike.
  6. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
  8. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I thought he was your Triumph guy. I didn't see your name in any of the Likes or Comments so I thought you might have missed it. I enjoyed reading the thread and will check out his YT videos this weekend. Dude did some big miles for that type of bike. And riding all through the night is hardcore - especially in the rain.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I had thought that my last report was going to be about my last ride of the season. Definitely getting colder and it was fairly chilly yesterday. Weather-folk are talking about record lows this week and I was preparing to begin maintenance work on the bike in prep for winter storage.

The afternoon turned out sunny and warmish and I knew I would be kicking myself if I didn't take advantage of the sunny weather (and it is getting very cloudy as I write this at 3:30.)

It turned out to be an excellent day for a ride--though only a few riders seemed to agree with me. Think I saw three or four riders and one just went past the house.

It is strange to me just how different a ride in early spring and a ride in late fall feel even though the temperatures are the same. Spring always feels like anticipation, while a fall ride seems full of melancholy. The air just smells different-spring has moisture to it, while fall seems dry and dusty.

I started the ride with 4023 on the odometer and ended with 4073. Happened to glance down just as the odometer hit 4046 and realized that I had just hit the 4,000 mile mark in my ownership. The bike had 46 miles on it when I picked it up. Forty-six miles for other riders seemed a small price to pay for $3k off MSRP and the bike continues to be an ideal companion for the kind of riding I like to do.

I added some new gear this season, namely an HJC CL-17 helmet, Etymotic earplugs and a flea-market find leather riding jacket. I also picked up a couple of dry bags (one quite large and one Suzuki-branded small one suitable for wallet and phone.) I haven't used the dry bags, but I'm hoping to have them handy if needed on longer rides.

The helmet is much quieter than any of the Bell helmets I had been using. I wish I had tried one sooner as I have a lot of tinnitus in my left ear in spite of almost always wearing ear protection in the past. The CL-17 is designed to slide glasses on easily and that is the primary reason I was wearing a flip-up helmet in the past.

The Etymotic earplugs are far, far better than the custom earplugs I had been using. Harder to keep track of, but much more effective.

Back to the ride. I headed west on 10th St. toward Danville and intended to turn south before I got there, but a train interrupted my plan. I rode on to Danville and headed south just before getting there because the train crosses the road there on a trestle.

We arrived at the trestle at about the same time, so I snapped a shot. There are actually two bridges in the shot...the lower one is a walking path (at least I think it is.)
    [​IMG]

This road winds around by the RC airfield where I met Falconpunch One a few years ago and I decided to stop and see if anyone was flying. I seemed to have missed most of the flying, but there were a few fliers getting ready. I decided not to wait as the day was slipping away.

Here's proof, assuming you require it, that I was there.
    [​IMG]

I headed west to Amo. This building used to hold a business when I first started riding out that way, but it was boarded up today.
    [​IMG]

Small town America.
    [​IMG]

I headed west out of Amo and hit SR-75 north to North Salem. I stopped at my usual gas stop as it is unlikely that I will get back there this fall. Not much going on today. [​IMG]

Headed home on IN-236--one of the prettier rides around.

The day just had a Simon and Gafunkel feel to it. The song is WAY too pop for JB2 and Jay's taste, but the refrain-"just kickin' down the cobblestone, looking for fun and feeling groovy" just kept wandering through my mind as I rode today. I wasn't pushing the tires in the corners--too cold for that today--but the bike was running and handling great.

Some reflections on the season:

1. The Scrambler was great choice for my riding style.
    2. The money spent modding the seat helped, but I need to continue the search for a better option.
    3. I only got to ride with friends one day this summer--and that is not enough. Whetted my appetite for the camaraderie found in riding with friends. Have to work on that.
    4. I had hoped for more miles on the bike this summer, but the three weeks lost to the back issue put paid to that hope. Maybe next year.
    5. I don't regret the time spent riding, but I often regret the time not spent riding.
    6. A new guitar can make the long winter days coming seem less dreadful.
    [​IMG]
    7. Almost time to get the skis ready for the season.
    8. It is time to change the oil, clean and lube the chain, change the coolant and check the air filter on the bike.

All in all, a great day of riding and it does feel a bit like a capstone on the season. I'll ride again if the weather permits, but if I can't today's ride was a good way to call it good.
    popscycle, jdfog2, JB2 and 1 other person like this.
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    That is a pedestrian bridge. I've stood on it several times over the last few years when I've come down to visit. I assume it is just an old bridge moved from somewhere in the county.

new bridge.jpg

Your weekend beat mine by as many miles as you rode.

I wanted to see the new Indian Challenger. Michelle went with me to look at the Indians. She always says yes to that. Our local Indian dealer burned down (electrical fire) in early October (destroying every single bike in inventory) so we had to drive to the opposite end of St.Paul to the only other dealer nearby. The only Challenger was out on a test ride even though it was barely 40F outside. That gave us plenty of time to review the bikes inside. We agreed on a favorite. It exhibits the colors frequently found in the landscape of The West. Sadly, they did not make a Roadmaster with this paint scheme.

Chieftain.jpg

Maybe it was because I didn’t ride it, but I wasn’t jazzed by the Challenger in person although the dash layout is my favorite of all Harleys and all Indians. I ride my Road King by ear, rarely looking down at the big gauge on the tank. But when I do look down to check on something, it is a distraction. The upside is I don't have a fairing in front of me. I do enjoy having an unobstructed view of the pavement.

The only other motorcycle related thing I did this weekend was a trip to the laundromat. I took my riding jacket and pants in to be cleaned so I can put them away for winter. :happay

I'm having a difficult time getting jazzed for ski season, but I am on the cusp of buying a four day pass to Copper just to insure I get out. Otherwise, there's no way I'll pay the window rate or buy a season pass (just too expensive for the number of times I'm willing to put myself on a plane and schlep my gear through an airport). They did put a new lift in the backside this year so maybe I'll defy death and injury a few more times just to give it a shot. :muutt
    jdfog2 likes this.
  11. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Guitar_front.jpg
    This was my first real guitar - a Martin DC16RGTE-Aura. I learned to read music and taught myself how to play beginning in 2005 to get me through some deep emotional trauma. Played the DC16 from 2008-2010. Replaced it with a Martin D41S that I played from 2010-2012. Both were excellent guitars. Our Golden Retriever, Buddy, died in December 2012 and I lost all desire for playing. I had worked completely through the trauma that originally drove me to play. Buddy used to sit at my feet for hours while I practiced. It was never the same with him gone. I regret not buying the Fisher amp that was made for the Aura system, but I plateaued as a player and was never going to get substantially better as long as I held a day job and kept a family. Kudos to them for putting up with me all those years.

I was fortunate that skiing utilizes the same skills as ice skating (I had 20 years of that). I "skied" a Blue at the end of the day of my first ski lesson (Never Ever Ski). It wasn't a pretty run - I think I fell four times - but it was also a fairly difficult run.

Learning to play golf at age 46 was easier for me than learning to play guitar. Playing Arcadia Bluffs in 2018, playing it reasonably well for my skill level, and only losing one ball in eighteen holes was an acheivement I'll likely never surpass. That would be the guitar equivalent of playing a solo show in front of a one row audience and missing only two notes in four hours. Arcadia Bluffs.jpg

I did not learn to play a musical instrument when I was young. There are some things that, if you start later in life, you truly are never going to get to where you'd be if you had started as a child. Getting back on a motorcycle after a 28 year layoff was far easier for me than learning to read music & play guitar at age 41, learning how to golf at age 46, or learning how to ski at age 52.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Too right on the "wish I had started earlier" aspect of playing. I started the bass at 49, added the guitar at about 55 and will never be good. I love playing anyway. I somehow ended up with three guitars (none as good as the Martin you started with--but more than adequate for my abilities,) and five basses. The guys on talkbass.com have labeled it GAS, or gear acquisition syndrome.

I quit playing golf--I NEVER got any better and I decided the frustration and money could both better be spent elsewhere in my life.

Been a while since I fell skiing, but at 61 I mostly ski blues. My need for speed seems a bit diminished in favor of spending the day cruising the hills with my wife and kids. Both son-in-laws were taught to ski by my girls and Jon took his fiance with us to Boyne Mountain last year, so she is on her way to joining the crew as well.

Good thing I rode yesterday. Snowing here today and overnight. Supposed to get 3" overnight and I suspect the riding is done.

That color scheme on the Indian is really something. The fairing looks too large for the dimensions of the bike to my eye. Of course, the fairing on the HD PanAmerica looks lik a flashlight I have in the garage to me as well.
  13. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Oh, I didn’t start with a Martin. I did my first couple years on a true POS Fender acoustic with not a single redeeming feature aside from its price. That DC16 was about 10x the price of the Fender and the D41S was 15x. Playing the Fender was like doing hard time in the penitentiary. The Martins were akin to being a Trust Fund child.

I love the geometry and randomness of golf. But after playing Arcadia I’ve become a bit snobbish on where I will play. My home course is a remote woodland with no houses directly adjacent. Truly a peaceful, natural setting. I worked there in 2015 and 2016 to help offset my son’s college tuition costs. I’m content to play only as much as I want. Irony is, I only played about a half dozen rounds this season but swinging my leg over the Harley a couple times every day stretched out my right hip which added 30-40 yards to my drive and my hand eye coordination is greatly improved (for which I have no explanation except you have to be damned good to maneuver an 800lbs bike at slow speed).

I fall about once every 2-3 days skiing. Many times it’s at slow speed. Last season’s only memorable fall was on a night run - memorable only because I have no clue what happened. My speed days are over. I clocked 83mph on a GPS in my second season and regularly topped over 60mph - always on empty runs. (The US Olympic Ski Team downhill course at Copper is epic but I’ve only gotten to do it one time.) But the humerus fracture in 2018 put the fear in me. It’s one thing to die instantly - it’s something else entirely to suffer in pain 24 hours a day. GS and Downhill are truly for the young who are too naive to know the consequences.

I’m going to enjoy 3-4 months of getting infatuated with every motorcycle that strikes my fancy. By then we’ll see where my wife’s current medical issues are at and the local status of global warming. Maybe with some luck I can finagle a work trip to Phoenix in March with a day on a rental Ultra Limited to re-visit my favorite mountain roads.
    jdfog2 likes this.