Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    I tried to like the air-cooled Scrambler, but the pipes really pushed my right leg out ina a way I didn't like. I don't even notice them on the Street Scrambler.
  2. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Well, Mike's response notwithstanding, I really love playing. I'm not going to worry about "being good" because that isn't going to happen. Talent really does matter and I don't have it in any meaningful measure with music.

I just refuse to stop--even though that is the most requested option. :lol3

I'll take every moment of pleasure out of playing for myself that I can draw from the experience and let it go at that. Hopefully, I have some degree of talent for other things, but it is what it is. I play rhythm along with music videos and that is more than I ever expected to be able to do.

Never saw my interests as either/or. Figured I could play when I wasn't riding and ride when I wasn't playing. Throw a bit of martial arts, skiing, scuba, sports cars, making cigar box guitars in and I good, thanks! Deb says I'll never be bored in retirement and I'd guess she's right.

Happy that Kim is loving her music--the pictures on FB sure look like she is having the time of her life with it!

May have to get a cigar box guitar in your hands and let you learn to play the kind of gritty blues that you love with a slide style guitar.
    JB2 and scarysharkface like this.
  3. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Jay,
    I do remember when you lost your mom. I am so sorry to hear about your dad. My brother is fighting cancer right now and has been for over a year. Thought it was under control, but a new spot (as yet unconfirmed as cancer) has been spotted on his liver. We'll know more early next week.

You met him in Danville the first time we met up.

Very sorry to hear about your knee and hope the surgery resolves the issues for you.

Man--winter came in too soon. I need some bike time.

Appreciate the friendships this crazy thread has brought into my life. Y'all have a great Thanksgiving.
  4. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - I get where Mike is coming from but I also know he's probably not familiar with our gatherings. More light-hearted , more about camaraderie than talent, more about fellowship and fun. I would always encourage someone who can play to just do it. Not that I wouldn't try to kill one of your cigar-box guitars, I would, but I am better as a fan. Trust me... as the saying goes. :lol3

>>> "I just refuse to stop--even though that is the most requested option.:lol3"

That's what I'm talking about.

>>> "Happy that Kim is loving her music--the pictures on FB sure look like she is having the time of her life with it!"

The girl has really blossomed. I almost feel guilty I didn't give her a shove years ago. But she will also tell you that she probably wasn't ready then. Now is her time and she's not wasting it.

>>> "Appreciate the friendships this crazy thread has brought into my life. Y'all have a great Thanksgiving."

Truer words were never spoken. Same back at ya. :thumb
    Bhuff likes this.
  5. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joel: I hope your brother has a false scare.

I didn't have a direction identified when I started playing guitar but, for various reasons, I ultimately drifted into folk and bluegrass with a heavy emphasis on American/Irish/Scottish fiddle tunes. Fiddle tune song structure is an A part repeated once followed by a B part also repeated once - so it is AA BB. (A few songs mix it up a little, but most follow that format.) The convention is that every player/instrument in the jam takes his/her turn playing lead and plays rhythm when another instrument is playing lead. A jam session typically has a banjo, fiddle, mandolin, guitar, and an upright bass. The bass is the only instrument not required to play lead.

A typical repertoire is 30-50 songs so that's memorizing chord changes for 30-50 A parts and another 30-50 chord changes for B parts. That's not so difficult. But unless you are at the improvisational level, you also get to memorize 30-50 A part leads and 30-50 B part leads. It is very mentally stimulating. In informal settings it's acceptable to have the sheet music in front of you if you are unfamiliar with a particular song.

The difficult part comes in playing lead at speed. As most are familiar with fiddle tunes used in hoedowns, you know that fiddle tunes can run off at breakneck speed. Most jams are very courteous and speeds agreed upon in advance. Some songs are played at a speed where even the simplest rhythm pattern is at max speed. Playing lead at speed can leave your head spinning and your hands flying. The notes have to be in your brain because you simply can't read that fast. Getting the notes to flow smoothly from one into the next at speed is a real achievement.

I have to admit that fiddle tunes "fit" my personality. Slower folk songs were not a problem for me, but I've never been much of a hippie and didn't really identify with the songs of those a bit older than me of a certain generation who grew up smoking the Devil's lettuce singing Joan Baez songs.

And with that I leave you with this video to marvel at. At my best I could easily handle the rhythm... but the lead, even in a simplified form, at that speed is a killer.

racer, radianrider and JB2 like this.
  6. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    Playing music has never really been an option for me. If I don't play, I become a basket case and have a difficult time with everything else. So, I play.

John
    72 Yamaha RD350, radianrider and JB2 like this.
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Lead is not an option. Ain't happening--at that speed, or pretty much any other!

In the words of Dire Straits, "You check out guitar George, he knows-all the chords
    Mind, it's strictly rhythm he doesn't want to make it cry or sing"

I'm still working on the "all the chords" part, but it's all about the fun for me!

I've ordered the software needed to bleed the brakes on the bike.

Plan is to bleed the brakes, flush the radiator and change the oil. Then trickle charge it and wait--somewhat impatiently--for spring.
    JB2 likes this.
  8. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Mark Knopfler is one heck of a player. Check out his duets with Chet Atkins on YT.

I do miss the dexterity developed in my left hand by playing. "All the chords" do some wonderful things to your left hand. Or even half the chords at a fast pace. They don't call it the "F" chord for nothing!

Software required to bleed brakes... what has the world come to! I assume you need the software to control the ABS module.

The engineers at Suzuki were kind enough to specify an ABS unit that did not require software for bleeding the brakes. When I changed out the front brake line on the VStrom with a +3 inch longer one, it was a PitA job. Hours turned into days. I pushed a half gallon of brake fluid through the front end of that bike and my pistol grip was strengthened greatly by tool I was using. I wasn't really happy at the end thinking the handle needed to be firmer. So I took it into a dealer who had a vacuum bleeding system. Paid them $100 and it really wasn't any firmer. Decided to just ride it and, miracle of miracles, it slowly got firmer over the next few days to where it was before I replaced the line. Ended up being completely satisfied with it in the end. I've done plenty of brake jobs but never really observed a self-bleeding effect before.

I was looking at brake pads on Sunday debating whether to have them replaced when the new tires go on. Having the fluid flushed is a no-brainer in our Midwest climate. I think the pads could easily last through another set of tires but I had, uh-hum, quite a few aggressive braking moments in Alaska and the rear pads started getting a squeak in them toward the end of the season.

I currently have plans to spend Thanksgiving with my mother in Indiana. It will be a quick trip. Debating on staying in Milwaukee on Saturday night to hit the HD museum for my birthday on Sunday. Normally it's a day I prefer to spend in Colorado skiing, but Thanksgiving makes that a no-go this year.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Got it in one. Have to cycle the ABS open in order to push the fluid through the line. It will stay open for 90 seconds, if the appropriate software is used to control it.
  10. radianrider

Oddometer:
    At Triumph reveal show in Indy. New dealer opening Jan-March on eastside of downtown next to Sun King Brewery.

Woot!!!
    JB2 likes this.
  11. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    I just heard Falcone is shutting their doors in two weeks. Glad to hear a new Trumpet dealer is opening. I assume they’re a stand alone agency?
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Hadn't heard that about Falcone. Kind of surprised by that. They carried the premium brands in town.

The new shop seems to be a stand-alone shop. I think that is one reason Falcone dropped them a couple of years ago.

I didn't stay long. Did get to look at the 1200 Scrambler and to buy a new sweatshirt.
  13. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Falcone dropped or was dropped by Indian earlier this year. IIRC, they announced they were dropping BMW in October.

I was born at Methodist on 16th Street so maybe that's why it is one of the worst neighborhoods west of downtown. Falcone could hardly have picked a worse location. The rent had to have been dirt cheap.

I'm sure BMW, Polaris, and Triumph would have preferred a dealer in any of the affluent suburbs.

Long's Bakery is the only redeeming attraction in that area... and Ralph the Muffler Man.
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Joel: Scrambler Stories has a new episode up on his ride up the Dalton. Dude has huevos grande.
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Agree that Falcon was not in the best part of Indy...but development in that part town is beginning as IUPUI continues to grow.

The new dealer looks to be very excited, but seems like a tough time to get into the business. Sales seem to be slumping across many brands.

I hope they make a go of it.
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I'm a Mac guy and have just spent several hours over the last two days loading a program called Dealertool onto an old PC so I can maintain my bike. Finally got to the point where I could register it with the seller so he can send me a link to unlock the software.

Guess it will be worth it to be able too change brake fluid, read trouble codes and turn of the annoying service needed lights.

Does make me wonder if progress really is progress at times.

And PC's are a pain.
    JB2 likes this.
  17. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Having Thanksgiving with our son and Mom and Wally. He’s been setting up my new Mac. I really despise all confusers but the price of progress is that its out of date when you’re installing even the latest and greatest. I couldn’t imagine abs, throttle by wire or anything else they’re trying to get us to accept on modern motorcycles. Hell I’m just getting used to electronic fuel injection. Give me a carb any day. Good luck fixing some of these issues at roadside!

May the moto-gods be with you on your cyber brake bleeding. :thumb
  18. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy Thanksgiving friends..and thanks Joel for allowing (not sure you had much of a choice) us to make your thread our meeting place ! :jack
    Jay
    JB2 likes this.
  19. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Happy Thanksgiving to all. Indiana beats Minnesota weather this year.
    JB2 likes this.
  20. radianrider

Oddometer:
    How you all had a great Thanksgiving.

Perfectly happy you all hang out here.

Hoping for brake work tomorrow!