Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joel: I will say the Atheists Electronics Prayer that you don’t brick it.
    radianrider likes this.
  2. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    My ambition was bigger than the time available. Maybe after finals week.
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  3. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Okay, no intention of EVER getting rid of the Scrambler, but I should not have listened to the Adventure Rider Radio about the CB500X with the Rally Raider upgrades. Now I want to add one to the garage.
  4. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    The CB500F and CB500X are great bikes for the money. The F is a perfect bike for a beginner or for someone who wants to do 30 minute jaunts at less than 60mph. That engine gets a bit vibey starting at 6500 rpm. Not real bad vibey - but noticeable. Used F and X's sell for $4,500 up here with very little miles on them. The problem is, you can't find any with ABS. So if you go shopping, decide first whether ABS is a must-have. With the amount of rain we get I deem ABS a must-have even though I've never needed it so far... and I won't bemoan that.

I thought the Rally Raid kit was fairly pricey.

I like the changes on the 2020 Tiger 900. I know it's a top heavy pig but I'm enamored with it anyway.

Did you go to the new Triumph dealer open house? If so, how was it?

We hit -10F this morning. We have nearly 12 inches of snow on the ground. I see Boyne opened last weekend. I bought a Four Pack for Copper and have everything booked for two days (W-T) in late January and another two days (W-T) in late February. As long as I can get $49 flights to/from Denver I'll keep going west. I don't have the stamina to do three days in a row. The wife does not do 3:30am so we are flying out on Tuesday nights this year which means I get to sleep one night at altitude before hitting the lift. The trail maps (Copper, Loveland, Keystone, A-Basin) hanging on the wall in my office at work are the only things keeping me from going stir crazy. I'm slowly ramping up my workout at the gym to burn some angst and strengthen my legs.

Without my prompting the wife picked up a couple of my motorcycle magazines and read a few trip reports. That was surprising and encouraging. She actually liked them. (HOG does a very high quality magazine with some well written trip reports and good photography.)
  5. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I went to the open house and bought a sweatshirt with the new store's logo on it. I didn't stay for the unveiling of the new bikes--I was on my own and an hour of conversation in my own head was sufficient.

I did get a look at the 1200 Street Scrambler--pricey, but beautiful. I have a pic somewhere, but it mostly just the tank. It was crowded.

No new bikes in my future, but an used CB500X with upgrades seems like a nice option for those looking for a lighter bike. One of the people interviewed said she rode most the TAT on hers. She also did an Iron Butt in 18 hours running at about 80 mph for hours a time.

Really sounds like a capable bike and a reasonable option to the more dual-sport oriented machines. Not sure about needing/wanting the ABS on that bike as most rider want to turn it off in the dirt anyway.

I could think about adding more bikes if I got rid of the Miata, but doubt that will happen.

So far we haven't had much in the way of snow, but I did pick up some Live Fly snowblades for $10 the other day. Hardly a mark on them. They were marked as "kids skis". Nope, just a lot of fun in the rough stuff.
  6. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - It sounds like we may in a parallel position. Can't imagine getting rid of the SCR950 but it doesn't deliver enough in the off road department. I had considered the CB500X but it still doesn't deliver the amount of off-roadness I would want. I've been searching for something that was basically ready to get dirty out of the box. Something light enough to throw in the back of the truck and unload where the pavement ends. For some reason I keep coming back to the XT250. Maybe even the WR250 but more than likely the XT will be the tool of choice for me. I'm with ya on the ABS.

Miata or motorcycle? :fpalm Bartender, two rounds of McCallum for me and my friend from Avon. Let's talk...
  7. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    The bike is strong. The mind is strong. The ass (and the rest of the body) is weak.

I don't even do 80mph sustained on Elvis. It just isn't fun. I learned on my trip that my reaction time now really dictates that I keep it down to 60-65mph if I want to enjoy any scenery at all.

I am still toying with the idea of doing an IBA SS1000 - an eastbound run from Butte MT to my house. I'd take two days westbound and spend a day or two there before heading back. The prairie wind at my back significantly reduces turbulence - makes 80mph feel like 60mph - and I'd easily get mid-fifties mpg. I still need to talk myself up to this... and I'm not keen on the paperwork so it might be an unofficial SS1000. But on a CB500X... no, even I'm not good enough of a bullshitter to talk myself into that.
    scarysharkface likes this.
  8. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    As one who just sold his R1200GS and bought a WR250R, I think we're at the same strategic place. I worried that I'd acted too impulsively, but so far there are no regerts.

John
    JB2 likes this.
  9. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    WR vs. XT? Was the XT a choice? I'd been considering the WR when I found the XT. The price of the XT caught my eye and they're making great deals on them. The WR has enough following that good deals are hard to come by. One guy I ride with is currently on a R1200GS and considering a lighter, more agile bike. I'm pretty much down to deciding which 250 to get.
  10. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    The WR is, from my limited perspective, a serious off-road bike that you can ride hard. The XT, by comparison, seems to be more something that would be good for exploring where speed isn't a factor.

John
    JB2 likes this.
  11. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I'm considering a Honda CRF 250 Rally. There's a new leftover 2018 heavily discounted just sitting on the floor. I'm getting older and would love something a lot lighter to just buzz around on.
    scarysharkface and JB2 like this.
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
  13. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - Looks like a good bike. I haven't done enough homework on the older models but it states it is an automatic? I've had a couple automatics but glad they were flip bikes and not something I would actually ride.

My impressions of the WR vs. the XT are the same as scarysharkface's. Probably why I was leaning towards the XT. I see more dirt than asphalt in my future but at an exploration pace. These bones ain't getting any younger so my riding has tempered somewhat. I had considered the Honda but the seat height meant modifications right out of the box.

The great thing is there is a ton of options for 250 dual-sports.
  14. radianrider

Oddometer:
    For some reason Facebook notes all motorcycles as automatic. Almost none are.

I have great memories of wandering around the Manistee National Forest on my dual sport Kawasaki 100cc with a friend on his XL250. I guess that's where my love of the early '70's XL's came from.

I had an '80 XL while in grad school, but needed something with more weight to commute at highway speeds. The XL was terrifying around trucks. I didn't like that bike as much as I like Jerry's early XL.

My brother has been fighting cancer for over a year now. He was recently diagnosed with an incurable liver cancer on top his earlier diagnosis. He has been talking about wanting to ride, but his finances won't allow a bike. Not sure his wife would go for it, but thought about adding a cheap bike so he could ride with me. His son is the one that bought the SV from me.

His son has an old 450 Nighthawk that he can't get running do to carb issues (ran when parked kinda' deal) and I've thought about buying it and swapping some Mikunis into it, but not a fan of the bike. So, perhaps an old dual sport would do, plus it would add another weapon to the arsenal.

Dan has talked about buying the Nighthawk from Jordan and fixing it, but again cancer really screws up your finances and your life.

Dan has to undergo chemo--hoping to get the cancer into remission--and I'm not sure how his reaction to the chemo will go. Really tore him up last time.

Sorry, got a bit heavy here.
    Black_Sheep and scarysharkface like this.
  15. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - Wanted to like your post but for obvious reasons did not. Maybe the old Yamaha is the way to go. Sad to hear about your brother. I know it has been touch and go for a while. I've refrained from commenting because of the friends I've lost to the dreadful disease. There are no words. But, there is action. Even if just for a short jaunt to someplace peaceful any time you spend on two wheels with your brother will bring you much peace long after he's called home. Trust me, I know.
  16. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    Getting something light for him to ride when he feels up to it is a great idea. He will hopefully have some decent and good days between the chemo bad days. I have close friends in similar situations and it definitely sucks. Best of luck to him and the family.

John
    JB2 likes this.
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys. That means a lot. We sure aren't the first to deal with this and they caught it very early this time. Can't be cured, but he could be remission for a long time if the chemo works.

We are hoping/praying for remission and he is currently feeling really good. There is hope for sure.

One of my favorite memories was riding with Dan (he borrowed another friend's 100cc Kawi) and Jerry (of the aforementioned XL250.) It was an incredibly foggy night and we were bopping around in the two-tracks in northern Michigan. We'd been riding in staggered formation and Dan pulled up beside me to talk to me just as I hit a mud puddle that the fog had hidden from us.

He was covered in mud and water head to toe. We all about wrecked because we were laughing so hard! What a perfect night of riding. The memory of it has had me chasing a similar moment most of my riding life.

He was still living at home (he is three years older than me) when I got my first bike.
    We were struggling to get it going when it suddenly did. Just as he whacked open the throttle. Wheel shot straight up and he was hanging on for dear life.:jack
    Black_Sheep, scarysharkface and JB2 like this.
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    So sorry to hear about your brother’s recent diagnosis.

How difficult can a carb cleaning and new needle valves be? At least there’s only two of them.

Chasing old times can be so fulfilling.

Warming here. Got above zero today.
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I was whining because it is only 30 degrees here at the moment. All in the perspective I suspect!

I'll be talking to Dan--not sure his wife would go along with him riding since he is at risk already. She may, rightly, feel that she is under enough stress already and I don't want to add to it.
  20. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    For everyone's Friday entertainment.

And this morning at Loveland Pass...

LL.jpg
    radianrider likes this.