Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Thursday afternoon I was at a pre-surgery consultation with my wife whose been having medical issues since September. The net is that she'll have a lobe-ectomy on her thyroid in January, but... while we're in the office my phone rang and it had a 317 area code. Thinking it might be my brother or mom on a new number I answered it and was greeted by a young female voice. I had attended the Pacers-Hawks game on my last visit and Debbie, my "Indiana Pacers Personal Customer Service Agent", was calling to see if I had enjoyed the game and wanting to know if I planned to attend any more games so that she could assist me in selecting games or tickets. She was a bit confused that my attachment to the Pacers was rooted in the 1970's (before she was born) and that I came from so far away to attend a game. I didn't confuse her with my list of favorite players - Mel Daniels, Billy Keller, or George McGinnis - who were old enough to be her grandfather. So whatever else goes on in my life, I've got an Indiana Pacers Personal Customer Service Agent... which is nice.

All that just to have an excuse to tell you guys "Merry Christmas" and "Happy New Years".

It's been warm here - 40's yesterday and today - hardly feels like winter.

I finished Ted Simon's "Jupiter's Travels" and would be interested in what you thought of it if you have read it.

If you haven't done so, go to the Epic Rides and enjoy the "Guns, Weed, but no Booze: Pakistan on a GS" by Asian Rider. Phenomenal photography, landscape, and culture in that thread.
    Black_Sheep and JB2 like this.
  2. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    I've read Jupiter's Travels twice but that has been over 20 years ago. I read Dave Barr's "Riding The Edge" first then dove into a ton of world travel by motorcycle books. "Ten Years On Two Wheels", "Chasing Che' " and many others. What strikes me the most is that in comparison they have a lot of parallels but so many unique aspects of their journeys. They all go into the unknown for different reasons and with different skill-sets but all come home with the similar experiences and that one nagging feeling... they changed and assimilating back into everyday life took some work. Odd thing is Ted and Dave are prominently featured in back-to-back segments in the documentary "Why We Ride".
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  3. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Merry Christmas, Inmates and friends! Trust you are having a great time with family and friends!

My kids and wife added a pair of leather riding gloves and a Triumph fender extender to my riding gear collection.

Missing my young'un in Louisianna, but enjoying my other kids today.

My brother and family coming over today, so I probably won't get the bike out, but tomorrow is supposed to be almost 60 degrees, so I'll be out in the afternoon.
    JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  4. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the Triumph gear.

My wife picked out a discreet HD necklace to match her earrings she got a few weeks ago for our 31st anniversary. I also bought her an Indian waxed cotton purse. I also made her a framed collage of pictures from 2018-2019.

I didn’t ask for nor receive anything motorcycle related. I did tell my wife she might be getting me a new suspension or a new motorcycle in January/February - whichever is cheaper. If Elvis is staying he’s getting Legends front and rear. The alternative is an Indian with a Fox suspension stock from the factory.

Speaking of Indian, I see Indianapolis got a dealer in Fishers. They sell Suzuki & Kawasaki too.
    JB2 likes this.
  5. radianrider

Oddometer:
    It will be interesting to see what you decide to do. Figured you were pretty happy with Elvis, but it seems a lot of people get less invested in a particular bike than I do.

I got out for a bit over an hour today and enjoyed my time in the wind.

The day started off bright and sunny and I decided to spend some time out in the garage changing the oil in the bike. Went pretty well until I took the cap off a bottle of the new oil to put a bit on the filter seal. At some point I managed to knock over the open bottle and didn't see it until .4 quarts had spilled.

It is amazing how difficult it is to get that much oil cleaned up off the garage floor. The good part, if there was one, was that the bike takes 3.59 quarts of oil if you change the filter at the same time. I had just the right amount of oil left after spilling some.

I didn't feel like doing any more on the bike after that fiasco, so I geared up and went for a ride. Nothing particularly pretty out there at this time of year, so I just rode. Took a mediocre picture when I got home.

[​IMG]

Here are a few I took at the Triumph bike introduction earlier this month. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    JB2 likes this.
  6. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Glad to see ya got out for a ride. The bikes were out heavy today as they should have been. It was beautiful! However the sundown change in temps turned the roads greasy and slick with a glaze of sweat by the time I got home. ARRRGH!!!
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    That's a bummer!
  8. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Happy you were able to get out for a ride. Very moderate temperatures here (~30's) with salt residue all over the roads. We had a couple days in the mid-forties - thought I saw one bike out but it was a car with a headlight out.

I hit the gym twice today - once in the morning before work and once after - to make up for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day when it was closed. I sort of have a loose goal of walking 1,000 miles in a year. I'm not keeping exact records, I just know that I need to do 3 miles a day virtually every day. That gives me time to keep up on several podcasts (including Motorcycle Misfits) and feel great doing it.

Occasionally I throw in 100-200 baskets on top of that to keep my eye-hand coordination together. Today it was 100 baskets in my new Pacers gym shorts my daughter gave me for Christmas. I think my hit percentage was way up today due to the influence of the shorts. =)

The Triumph pics are great. They do a fantastic paint job on those steel gas tanks.

I have no idea what I will do. The problem is threefold:
    a) I have conflicting requirements for a bike. My wife enjoys riding and I truly think we could do some incredible tours on a bike that maximizes her comfort. Read that as HD Ultra Limited or Indian Roadmaster - i.e. bikes with armrests. It's a concession I'm willing to make. I could put a tour pack with backrest & armrests on Elvis for about $3k... and I might go that route. But the stock HD suspension is barely above ok and needs an upgrade. Legend Suspension is generally considered the one of the better options and it will run about $2,200 installed. So there's $5k out of pocket to turn Elvis into a luxo two-up tourer. Alternatively, I can buy an UL or RM with the tourpack. The Indian suspension is good out-of-the-box so no upgrade needed. Being a Harley, the UL would still need a suspension upgrade. Overall, this calculus results in too many digits to the left of the decimal point... or so you think until you read the 400 plus pages of the Travel Trailer thread in the ADVRider Camping Toys sub-forum.
    b) Having two bikes isn't an option. I was forced to read "Walden” at Avon High School and Thoreau's minimalism made a firm impression on me that continues to this day. As much as I've thought of having a CRF250L or CB500F/X, it's just not in my nature to have a second bike (although I realize that is common for many riders).
    c) I'm highly critical of all things containing an engine. The HD M8 is a better mill than the TS111, but everything else about the Indian is equal to or superior to the HD. And my wife prefers the art deco styling of an Indian... or at least she would until we had a flat tire five miles from an Harley dealer but 200 miles from the nearest Indian dealer. The bar and shield has no mercy on the unfaithful.

So that's the conundrum. I know - First World problems.

I have come to love the feel of the big twin underneath me. As long as the weather is decent, I prefer not having a fairing in front of me. I've got no use for a radio on a bike. We will do the rider/pillion communication devices but I actually prefer the older HD wired systems... I'm a Luddite when it comes to electronics because I'm intimately familiar with their failure mechanisms. I love commuting on the Road King - not sure I'd love commuting on a full dresser.

I have been playing around with the HD trip planning app and I have to say - it's sweet! [Do you have any idea how many trip plans you can do in one winter day?!] Obviously I don't need that level of navigational support for myself, but when the wife says it's time for a potty break and we are in the Dakotas it would be nice to be able to tell her how long she has to hold it. =) Indian's Ride Command system works nearly identical to the HD.

If I were down in Indy I'd probably walk into the new Indian dealer and buy the RM demo unit (with less than 400 miles on it) they have priced at $19,999 but it's too much of a hassle to do this time of year from this far away. That's a great price and they are clearly trying to capture local attention with the few they are pricing that low.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Lots of time to consider the issues while locked in Minnesota's deep freeze! The upgrades are expensive and you'd never get back the value if you sold it later.

Perhaps that's not a consideration as you'd take a depreciation hit as soon as your new Indian left the lot too. Probably about the same amount.

I've heard stories about the unmerciful bar and shield shops, but don't know anyone who as personally experienced it.

I don't have any problem with the idea of two bikes--Thoreau didn't affect me quite as he did you--but the realities of my garage space and lack of cash to spend on another tend to make me careful about it. I would like a small dual-sport and may add one if I can find one with the right price.
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Temperatures have been at or above freezing for two weeks now. Forecast is for another week of warmth before the cold sets in again. I take solace that I'm not in Deadhorse where the high this week will be -8F and most days will have a high in the minus teens. Truthfully, we could use some more snow. Rain the last few days has melted a lot of what we had. I was going to take the two youngest kids skiing (locally) this weekend but it was a washout due to rain. They both need learning time on Midwest hills.

But, yea, no hurry to make any bike decisions. I'd be lucky to get 50% value on any upgrades. And all vehicles, new and used, depreciate. It's a fact of life. (Which makes me wonder: Did horses depreciate 50% in the first three years?) I've only purchased new cars when I knew I was going to keep them forever - it makes sense then. Otherwise I tend to buy 1-4 years old with low miles.

Harleys tend to hold their value better and have higher demand than Indian - so that is a factor. I'm hoping to ride at least ten more years (maybe longer) so I'm more concerned about getting the bike that best fits my use than its residual value. I hope by the time I'm done with it that I've worn it completely out. Although I do joke with my youngest son who has no interest in motorcycles that he's going to inherit one someday. Currently, the 2017 and 2018 HD CVO Limiteds have caught my eye. CVO's depreciate like the Titanic but they have features not found anywhere. We'll see. No hurry.

If I could find a use for a CRF250 Rally - I'd park one of those next to Elvis or on the back porch, but there's not really anyplace to ride. We have one non-maintained road nearby, and it would be a fun challenge, but that's it. Everything else that goes anywhere is paved. We don't have national forests nearby. If I had a truck or trailer I'd have to haul it a fair distance to any engaging tracks. And that's sort of funny because the county snowmobile organization has hundreds of miles of marked tracks which tie into adjacent counties, etc... You can literally ride across the entire state of Minnesota, legally, on a snowmobile. I suspect your home region of Michigan is similar.

I don't know you watch the alpine ski circuit but Mikaela Shiffrin is having a great season so far. Catch some highlights of her if you can. She's going to surpass every woman in the history books.

The Epic Ride thread "Lewis & Clark Trail: 8 years of it" entertained me so much this morning I threw Ken Burns' "The West" on the big screen while I did chores around the house. I may have to take Elvis to see some of those sites when I ride out to see my daughter in Williston.
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Finally got to the brake bleed job. Took longer than expected...but most things I do in the garage do. Took almost as long to get the computer to run the ABS trigger as it did to bleed the brakes.

Here's hoping it stops when I intend to next time!
  12. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    How does the grip and the pedal feel?

Did you test the brakes just rolling the bike in the garage?

Tell the truth: How much brake fluid did you spill?

Three inches of new snow and a 10F temperature drop here. Nice winter.
  13. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Well, the pedal feels very firm and the hand grip a bit less so. It has always been less firm than the pedal, or the hand brake on the SV.

I have it tied back at the moment to release any air in the system.

Managed the job with a few dribbles--based on the fiasco with the oil change I decided to pay very careful attention to where the bottle was at all times. But it appears you know me too well.

We are at about 30 degrees now with upper 40's tomorrow.
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you got it. Brake fluid is a pain for amateurs and professionals. At least it doesn't smell as bad as diesel.

Forgot to tell you about the Christmas present I "made" for my oldest son. I found a website online and made a large photo collage of pictures from our trips out west (Loveland, Copper, A-Basin, Keystone, Winter Park) and had it made into a framed print. I got on a roll and made one for my Alaska trip for my office, the one for him, one for my wife of her favorite pictures, and one for my youngest son. [I didn't have enough recent pictures of my daughters to do one each for them.] They all turned out well enough and it was pain free as it required no shopping. I did go through our digital photo library and deleted 10,000 duplicates and poor quality pics to make it easier to select from. If I make another one for Elvis it's likely your Triumph will make the cut (... because the picture you took has Steak'n'Shake in the background).

Pacers beat the Sixers tonight - shocking.

Is your family ski outing over Spring Break or is it before your Spring semester starts? Boyne?
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Collages sound like a great idea.

We are headed to Boyne Mt. with my daughter and SIL over MLK Day. May head to Perfect North this Saturday, assuming they are open. Perfect North ski cams show them open today and it is likely to be cold enough at night for them to make snow.

Looking forward to more time on my new skis-I only got a couple of days on them last season.

Only maintenance item left on the bike is to change the coolant. I'll probably wait until warmer weather since it promises to be a messy job.
  16. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    radianrider likes this.
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    You will find a response to your comment on page 8 of my Alaska Ride Report.
    radianrider likes this.
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Incredibly difficult week at work. FC made the New York Times for the first time since 1933--and for all the wrong reasons.

I'm going skiing and trying to forget this mess for a few days.
  20. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    I heard it on the news the last two nights. Thought about you instantly. Props to FC for firing him right away instead of the usual "on paid leave pending investigation". Cringe-worthy.
    radianrider likes this.