Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whoa!!! That went from zero to 60 in no time flat. Crazy stuff. Can't imagine what dealing with the fallout from that would be like in the workplace.

I went to the most enjoyable bad basketball game I've ever seen last night. The Pacers amazingly beat Philadelphia on Monday night but lost their shooting skills somewhere between Indianapolis International Airport and Target Center in Minneapolis. My youngest son's birthday was Tuesday so it was an occasion for us to get out together. It was so sad at times it was hilarious. I think every rule in the rulebook was called throughout the game. Anyone who says that traveling, double-dribble, and 3 second lane violations are never called in the NBA should have seen this game. The Pacers trailed until the end of the third period when they finally evened things up, took the lead, and barely hung on for a win. The Timberwolves are a bad team without their star player - the Pacers should have easily beat them, but no. They had to play down to their competition and then some.

The Pacers game was this week's highlight. I woke up this morning to -16F outside. A bit cold. But I'm walking three miles every morning at the gym before I go to work and I feel great. Thank heavens for motorcycle themed podcasts.

Next week is skiing two days in Colorado with my oldest son. That should be the highlight of January.

Mrs. RD350 had surgery last week and she's still recovering. I don't think she's totally cured so 2020 may be a lost year for us traveling anywhere. I expect another surgery for her before the end of the year.

Winter is almost over. Only two more weeks and we'll start the slow slide in Spring. I can't wait!

Joel: Post some ski pics so I can see what your destination is like.
  2. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Sorry to hear Mrs. RD is still struggling.

Zero to sixty indeed. Right in the heart of college recruiting season. Could be very painful for a long time.

I'll post some pics from Boyne Mountain. Supposed to get 6-10" on Saturday.
  3. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    We are getting that storm on Friday night. Should be fun.

Friday night is Mrs. RD350's birthday. She texted me yesterday that she was excited to be getting 6-10" on her birthday. I texted her back that three shovels and a tractor in the garage might be the best present she'll get. ;)
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    You romantic devil!
  5. radianrider

Oddometer:
    A different sort of ride report--namely from my Elan skis and not my bike!

My skis (and my wife's). My daughter and son-in-law on the chair ahead of us.
    [​IMG]

View from the condo
    [​IMG]

Sunday was a pretty day
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the bike front--

1. The good news is that the Triumph dealer in Indy is set to open at the end of the month, so I can likely get the USB charger replaced. I tried it once and it did not seem to charge my phone. Fuse looked intact, so likely the charger is dead.

2. Started setting some money aside from the sale of some of my guitars (I think I've settled on the ones I want to keep and had a couple of extras that weren't being played much), so I need to decide whether to spent $ on suspension for the Scrambler or look for a used dual-sport. Ahhhh... the joys of the winter season. Life seems to have endless opportunities when you really can't do much--sort of like my dad looking at seed catalogs in February!
    72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  6. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - Glad to hear the trip went well. I had no idea there was another Triumph dealer coming to Indy but great news for you, eh? If I could vote for either suspension upgrades or a second, more dirt worthy bike... well I don't have to tell you my vote.

But then you ended with this..."sort of like my dad looking at seed catalogs in February!" Does that ever bring back memories. Grandad and Dad leafing through the seed catalogs, arguing who was going to win the Super Bowl and generally making the least use of daylight hours as they could. It was about the only time you could find them both in the same room without a lot on their plate. Good times. Thanks.
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    JB, your description of your dad and grandfather made me chuckle. I could just about see them!
    JB2 likes this.
  8. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Do you drive up to Boyne? I was looking at it last night - such a long way from MSP and no way to fly in. I could be tempted by the real estate prices if it was readily accessible. Ten hours to get there from MSP.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    We drove up. Takes about 6.5-7 hours from here.

I like Boyne Highland better, but it is 45 minutes further. Neither of them will threaten the slopes out west.

That area is really pretty in the summer too. Most of the trail riding requires that you be comfortable with sand.

Spent H.S. on the edge of the Manistee Nat'l Forest. Lots of trails.
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    4EB0690B-7A7C-4250-88EF-CA7C46E6DD50.png Dress for the slide - not for the ride.

My son was setting up for a picture when I ate it. It was a pitch forward fall into three feet of unpacked snow. My arms were fully extended in front of me but they went shoulder deep.
    JB2 likes this.
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Lol! Must have been tricky getting back up!
  12. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    That is the famed Daffy Duck fall - executed only by the least talented of skiers. [Even I've only managed it once before.] Story to follow on my own thread tomorrow.
    JB2 and radianrider like this.
  13. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Spending time watching videos this fine Sunday afternoon.

This one starts off poorly, but it is fun to watch a Scrambler in action on some pretty rough roads.

JB2 likes this.
  14. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Watched all three vids and enjoyed them. Looks like the roads we hit in South Dakota.
  15. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I watched 2 out of 3. The Scrambler struck me as a bit too much bike but fortunately the track didn’t get beyond the bike or the rider’s capability.

The soft sand must be a bear - particularly on the Scrambler with that stock tire.

Don’t know if you heard but an American won the Dakar for the bike class - first time ever. The Rally was held in Saudi Arabia and some of the landscape is jaw dropping. Two riders were killed this year - the first in a many years. The stage summaries are on YT.
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    mttandem and JB2 like this.
  17. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Will watch tonight.

Will not begin anticipating Spring until after ski trip #2 the last week of February.

This might be my last year going out west. I'm not certain my bank account can handle the increasing prices that are going on in the ski industry out there. My four pack was $70 per day but all the other costs are going up too. We ate lunchables in the car both days to avoid $20 per person lunches.

Missing the sound of Elvis every single day.
  18. radianrider

Oddometer:
    So on 02/02/2020 the temp hit 64 degrees. Aired up the tires and headed out for a short ride.

Before that Deb and I had been running errands in the early afternoon and I saw a guy in a neighboring subdivision getting a Ducati Scrambler out of the garage. I gave him a thumbs up out the car window.

Deb said, "Don't be weird."

THAT ship sailed a LONG time ago--figured she'd know that by now!

Anyway, aired up the tires, geared up and headed out for short ride. Not much pretty out there this time of year, but the ride was good anyway.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I received a fender extender at Christmas, but I've been reluctant to install it. I really don't want to screw up my fender!
    [​IMG]

Guess I'll have to get to it before mud season gets here.
  19. ADK

ADK eponymous

Oddometer:
    I would use shoe goo. :norton
  20. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    We had blue skies and sunshine today but topped out beneath 40F. Was still nice outside... but I spent most of the day indoors doing taxes and chores.

Michelle and I had a good time at the IMS show on Friday night before the coronavirus crowd showed up yesterday. Not really worth going but there's nothing else to do this time of year to get out of the house. Michelle likes going because the leather goods selection is high quality. She picked up a new purse for a decent price.

Three tour companies were at the show: Thailand, Edelweiss (Europe), and Arkansas Dept. of Tourism. I'm actually interested in riding the Ozarks at some point.

Yesterday we stopped by the HD dealer while headed to the grocery store and I saw a necklace I'll pick up for Valentines day. Jewelry, clothing, and accessories are on the left side of the store - which is a lot cheaper than the bikes on the right side of the store.

Apparently the $40k CVO models used to be pre-sold before shipping to the dealer. Not anymore. Dealers now have a glut of unsold CVO's on the floor - signs of the aging demographic.