1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Air filter had a hole, which I discovered after purchasing filter oil. New filter on the way.

I'm betting most of the carb work suggested has been done. The bike is supposed to have a Dyno Jet kit in it--or the guy just added the decals, which could happen. Based on the other mods, i.e., bars/grips, etc., I'd say the odds are good that it has the DJ kit.

I'll run the old gas out and start fresh to see what's what.

Could the popping on decel (not bad, just noticeable) be related to the carb likely being jetted for CO elevations and not our beloved flat lands?
  2. radianrider

Oddometer:
    When your son borrows your hatchback and the PO says he found the knobbies and other parts...you make do.

For the record--a 21" tire will not fit in a Miata trunk.
    [​IMG]

He also gave me the Dyno Jet kit indicating the bike was rejetted for Indiana altitude. I'll share the settings later. I'm in a seminar learning about distance learning due to our campus being shut down for classes.

He gave me two tubes, the knobbies, the little pack that came on the KLX new--including the cheesy tools and some chain links.
    72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  3. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Stocking up on knobbies is not a bad thing. Yes, I know they came with the bike as part of the purchase but... :lol3

So, I guess this means we'll have to ride at least 6' apart and carry at least a couple rolls of toilet paper. Off-roading could get interesting this summer. :augie
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Can't carry toilet paper. There isn't any available
    JB2 likes this.
  5. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    We have plenty. No hoarding, just CYA. By the way, I do have a milk crate if you're interested. It's a requirement for KLR/KLX owners. Metal or plastic?
  6. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm... which would hurt less when I drop the bike on myself trying to get off?

I picked up all the parts today. He included the Dyno Jet kit with notations for how the carb is setup.

Looks like he put a #128 Main in it and set the fuel screw at 3 turns out for Indiana.

Apparently the bike was in Golden, CO. There it had a #122.5 main and the fuel screw was 2.5 turns out.

The kit has the stock needle and spring in it, so I'm betting everything else has been done in the carb.

The parts included a 14-tooth front sprocket, and I think it likely that he put the much preferred 13 tooth sprocket on it.

Bike has nice bones--just needs to maintenance done.
    JB2 likes this.
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I managed to get the Triumph out for an hour or so yesterday. That is a FUN bike--but I suspect you already know that's my thinking already.

Had planned to take the KLX out and see about getting used to getting on and off, but I found a hole in the air cleaner when I took it out to wash it. I've ordered a new one and it set to arrive on Friday--just in time for the temps to plummet to the upper thirties. All weekend.

Oh well, more time to spend looking at video of short people making me feel lame because they can get on/off tall bikes without apparent fear of face-planting. Guess I can practice in the garage!

I'm planning on buying a kit with the most common bolts found on Japanese dirt bikes. Several of the bolts on the bike are replacements with the right thread, but the wrong cap size. Should let me carry fewer wrenches and still be able to access under the plastics when I need to do so.

Thinking about, and working on, the bikes is a welcome distraction from the present craziness. Hope all of you are staying well.
    JB2 likes this.
  8. radianrider

Oddometer:
    The air filter was delivered today, so I oiled it up, let it dry and reinstalled it. I put the plastics and the seat back on, but it has been raining most of the day...so no riding. Bummer.

Supposed to be quite chilly this weekend, so unlikely to get it out. Who knows if I'll get the chance if there is a "shelter in place" order coming?

Strange days, indeed.

Be safe all.
    JB2 likes this.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Working from home has some advantages. I walked out the garage after my two morning classes and spent some time learning how to get on and off a taller bike. I didn't fall over, so that's a good sign.

Came back in and taught another course.

Happy garage.
    [​IMG]
    popscycle and JB2 like this.
  10. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I didn't realize until today that the bike has dual horns on it. It sounds obnoxious, which is likely the point.
    JB2 likes this.
  11. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - Glad to see you are making the best of an intense situation. Grant County went to Code Orange late yesterday. As an automotive service shop we are still open. Parts departments at dealerships are still open even though the sales floors are closed. With all the disinformation getting propagated makes it hard to know what to plan for from day to day. My gut tells me we'll all be working in the garage soon. :deal

Dual horns were not standard on the KLX. The OEM horn wasn't even fit for a bicycle. It is the one thing I left alone on my KLR. Glad you're getting the mount and dismount figgered out. It won't mean squat in rutted areas when you want to steady the bike at slow speeds so you might want to execute a couple of practice falls... or lower the suspension... or both. :D

EDIT - Good looking bike there sir!
    radianrider likes this.
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jim. I'm really pleased to have found one I could afford in generally good condition. There are things I need to do, but that's part of the fun.

I can actually get the balls of both feet down if I hit the lowest part of the seat up near the tank.
    JB2 likes this.
  13. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Indiana altitude" - isn't that an oxymoron?
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Pun intended?
  15. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I have a pink plastic milk crate I can donate to the cause. I didn't know they bike specific. That must be why I never mounted mine on the VStrom.
  16. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Greetings Hoosiers!

Winter is fading here. A nice Olympia riding jacket arrived in the mail for Mrs. RD this week. A C3Pro helmet for her is waiting to clear US Customs after we received/returned a domestic one due to sizing error.

We stopped by the HD dealer this morning since it is one of the few places open. I am having them install Custom Dynamics LED Filler Brake Lights this week to up my safety game. (The fit in a gap between the saddle bags and rear fender. My eyes are still recovering from looking at the demo lights in the showroom. I think I'm partially blind now.) I plan on picking up Elvis next Saturday since the weather is looking favorable. If the governor shuts down the state I'll run over to pick it up so it doesn't get held hostage to Covid-19.

Reservations at the Grand Canyon were cancelled by the franchisee. Moved the flight reservations to the anticipated opening week - Memorial Day - but still could be a bust... or not. It doesn't cost anything to book the flights on points and the real cash price was only $48 each way per person to Phoenix for non-stop flights. (I paid $228 for my first flight to Phoenix from Indianapolis in 1997.)

Joel: The KLX is a good looking bike but I'm wondering whether Deb is happy with it usurping her garage stall.
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Yes. Yes, it is. :lol3:lol3:lol3

Perhaps, to be accurate, I should have said, "lack of altitude."
  18. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering is "but Officer, riding a motorcycle IS essential business!" is going to work.

I'd get my bike home as well. Good call on that.

And, do you really believe the bike stayed in that stall??? Ha! Not going to happen!

Still kicking myself for not adding the third stall when we built the place.
    JB2 likes this.
  19. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    There are companies that do work for the USG that get exemptions to "shelter in place". My customers and suppliers in California are operating under those exemptions. I'm confident my employer will be granted an exemption if AZ, MN, or FL declares. In fact, we might have already received one for our facility in WA. Even if MN declares and I'm told to work from home I'll still take Elvis out for a "commute".

CW1: "RD350 was online all morning - why is his status showing Unavailable?"
    CW2: "Maybe he went for a bio break."
    CW1: "Bio breaks don't typically last two hours."

I'm a minimalist and have 850 sqft of garage floor - it isn't enough, at least not with adult kids leaving stuff behind and not respecting the sanctity of their dad's holy space.
  20. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Well, our shelter-in-place order takes effect at 11:59 tonight.

I'm going to take the KLX out for a ride in a bit this morning and will attempt to get time on the Triumph this afternoon.

Frozen pics later.
    JB2 likes this.