1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Essential worker here. I can only imagine what tomorrow will be like. We'll be going to work regardless. I wish I could ride but Joel, if you would, when you're riding the Trumpet give it an extra hard twist for me. :thumb
  2. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Done! Good luck tomorrow and be safe.

I decided that I would go crazy if I bought a bike and only got to ride it once before the middle of April (at the earliest.) The shelter-in-place order goes into effect at midnight and I decided I'd better get at it this morning if I was going to ride. I only have one class on Tuesday and Thursday, so this was the time.

I garbed up and headed to Wallie World to get something I needed for work. It was pretty brisk, so I swung by the clearance section and found a very nice helmet liner for $2.00. Score! Worked beautifully!

Headed back the bike and a guy pulled up and started chatting about bikes. George said something about thinking about getting a dual sport too. He's a Triumph rider as well (has a Street Triple), but said he only commutes. I invited him to check out this thread and told him to get a hold of me for a chance to explore the area west of Avon.

Took the KLX out this morning and put about 40 miles on it.
    [​IMG] This just before Amo.

I've taken several shots here, but this is the first one of the KLX, so....
    [​IMG]

After getting a bit more time on the bike:

1. I really need to get a run-out dial and check the front hub and rim as well as the front brake. Seems to have a bounce in it, but I can't be sure because the roads are bad and the suspension was doing its thing.

2. The bike runs great! Hit 72 mph indicated (for what that's worth) and had throttle left. I believe it will do 80 or better, but I won't be finding out for sure.

3. I think I may have to check into different throttle tubes to fit. Can't get full throttle without changing hand position and with only 250 cc's to play with full throttle is not a bad idea.

4. It will never challenge the Triumph for first place in the garage, but it is a LOT of fun in its own right.

5. The seat is a plank.

6. Definitely going to have to quiet that muffler down. It's loud and it drones at 60 mph or so. There is an insert available, but it is not available at present. All sold out until late spring.

7. Seating position reminds me of JB2's KLR--a lot. But I only got to ride that once a couple of years ago, so I could be wrong.

Came back home, had lunch, taught my course online and took the Triumph out.

Oh, yeah! What a great bike!

Temps had dropped, so I didn't stay out as long, but I enjoyed it immensely. Sorry, no pics of said enjoyment--you'll have to take my word for it.

Filled up with fresh gas since they will be sitting for a couple of weeks at least.

So, the last ride report for a while, but I may update this thread as I get to work on the KLX. Already did the air filter and oil change. Up next? Probably cutting down a new clutch lever to fit inside the hand guards and re-positioning the controls for standing while riding.

Stay safe.
    JB2 likes this.
  3. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was 49F when I rode Elvis home. I didn’t take the shortest route. It seemed so wrong to be riding past lakes still completely iced over. I didn’t wear my warmest gloves - a thin liner under my favorite leather riding pair. My hands were chilled by the time I got home. The first ride in nearly six months felt odd but the M8 puttered along as I kept it below 2,500 rpm. Good times are ahead.
    JB2 and radianrider like this.
  4. 306dad

306dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was out this morning riding around beautiful suburban Mooresville
    radianrider likes this.
  5. radianrider

Oddometer:
    What were you riding? Seems wet out there today.
  6. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Spent part of the afternoon doing minor things to the KLX. Spent more of the afternoon looking for the tool I knew I had just been using, but so it goes.

Adjusted the clutch and brake levers for better position while standing. Started to modify a clutch lever to replace the bent one, but decided whacking to old one with a hammer would achieve my purpose with less effort. Nice to right on occasion.

The bike decided to only start in neutral the last time I had it out, so I jumpered across the safety switch--which broke while I was working on. Just know that if you come borrow the KLX that it will start in gear without pulling in the clutch.

You have been warned!

Took it out around the subdivision to try out the new positions and like it right well.

Muffler really is Brappy--even with ear plugs. Going to have to do something about it.

And the throttle tube is going to have to go for one that doesn't require three turns to achieve forward motion.

All in all, a fun afternoon in the garage.