Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Fixed--but the OEM is really expensive, so I'm looking at options.
  2. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Well, most of my ride reports involve not riding as much as they working on the garage and/or bikes.

Tore out my old workbench to make more room for the bikes. It usually served as a place to pile stuff--not unlike the treadmill in the basement. I have a portable workbench (currently being used to support my live stream teaching efforts) that should suffice for maintenance tasks.

Ordered a front brake rotor off Ebay at the suggestion of a member of the KLX Forum. Apparently the front rotor off a KLX300 fits just fine. It doesn't have the cool wavy-cut factor, but I can live with that.

Should allow me to work on straightening out the OEM rotor and keep riding the bike while doing it. Figured it was worth $26.00 to find out if it'll work.

Next up--cleaning the Scrambler. Haven't done it other than the time I hit muddy roads in the Morgan-Monroe forest.
    JB2 likes this.
  3. MondayDad

MondayDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just happened to run across your thread, and being a middle-of-the-state Hoosier as well, wondered if you'd found any trails (not just well maintained paved or gravel roads/trails) to ride the KLR. I've been seriously considering getting a new KTM 790 Adventure R but don't just want to ride the streets with it. I can ride streets on one of my other bikes that are better suited to streets! My longer-term plans are for some vacations southwest (AZ, NM, UT, NV) where I can ride government land for days and days... but would like to have a few day trips from time-to-time as well. Indiana, KY, OH or IL are all within reasonable distance to either ride or trailer the bike for some fun.

Bob
  4. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Literary gold.

I spent a week at Camp Ransburg for scout camp back in '77 or '78. It's south of Morgan-Monroe but I'd pay you $5 for a picture of the Scrambler there.

Edited to add: $5 or dinner at Steak'n'Shake - whichever is greater. ;)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...438c05cbe8a!8m2!3d39.053851!4d-86.42983?hl=en
    JB2 likes this.
  5. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Hi, Bob!
    My plan is not much different than yours--haul the KLX places and ride. Meanwhile, try to find and enjoy what trails there are close to home.

And ride my better street bike most of the time.

Try checking here for suggestions
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/indiana-ride-thread.420229/page-1552#post-39691870

A lot of these guys seem to find dirt south of us.

Also, you may find this site useful:
    https://gravelmap.com/#8.35/39.699/-86.587

At least this will give a decent starting point to try to find some areas around us.

Don't be a stranger! Let me know if you find something good to ride.
    JB2 likes this.
  6. radianrider

Oddometer:
    How about we go looking for it when this shelter-in-place stuff is done? Ride Elvis down to see your Mom, or take one of mine. Both a bit less plush than Elvis--but they burn gas just as easily!
    JB2 likes this.
  7. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Maybe. We'll see how this plays out.

I ordered a new jacket yesterday. Same as my wife's new jacket - Olympia Durham. It claims to have an internal waterproof layer. Can't be worse than the outer rain liner for my current jacket. Regardless of whether it works or not - we'll be Twinsies when we ride. Not quite as offensive as this...

twinsy.jpg
  8. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure you don't get to decide that. But the rest of us will :lol3
    JB2 likes this.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Well, rainy and stay-at-home order still in effect. To the garage!

The KLX had a pulsating front brake when I got it and I have been looking at home to fix it. The KLX forum suggested getting a rotor off a KLX300 (it doesn't have the way cool wavy rotor, but cost as bout a 1/4 as much.) Got one off ebay for $26.00 and found that the forum was wrong...the bolt holes were too small.

Pulled out the drill press and drilled new center holes and bolt shoulder areas and installed it today. Took it out in the rain to check things out.

Worked like a charm. No more pulsating brake. Job done.

Now on to figuring out how to get that muffler to come down to a dull roar instead of a full on riot.

Be safe, keep my wife and daughters and SILs safe (all work in hospitals) and stay home as best you can.
    JB2 likes this.
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    3CE0562C-9F3B-41CF-87D2-0530028B23FC.jpeg It was 18F this morning when I got up. Took it until this afternoon to warm up. No riding today but will get out tomorrow and possibly commute one day this week.

I took the snowblower off the tractor so I’m fully committed to Spring.

The park was full of people when I went for my walk. It has dozens of miles of trails so plenty safe. I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have it available.

Thought of you this morning when I stopped in Target to pick up my prescription. The Starbucks inside was closed and it occurred to me that you must either be suffering greatly from withdrawal or spending time in the drivethru every day.
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I'm too cheap to spend that kind of money very often. I can make a decent cuppa' at home, so all good!

I put the summer tires back on the Miata, but still have the hard top, so I'm sorta' committed to spring. But I did put mulch down, so there's that!
  12. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    818A7FF1-1F7B-4A95-A189-24343C1300A5.jpeg I had to do two walks at the park today to make up for skipping yesterday due to the cold temperatures. The park is big enough that one can walk every day of the week and never repeat the same path. So the second walk today was on the unofficial KLX250 trail along the backside of the lake. It’s an unmaintained county road about five miles long that is currently barricaded closed for obvious reasons. About two miles of it would be very challenging right now.
    JB2 and radianrider like this.
  13. radianrider

Oddometer:
    It's not a milk crate, but it is Harbor Freight, so that counts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I got sixty or seventy miles in on Elvis today doing the social distancing thing - just out in the country. No pictures because every place I would have pulled over was full of people standing six feet apart holding fishing poles. I passed a lake that had no less than two dozen boats on it - none less than fifty feet from another. Lots of bikes out.

I did see one of these 2018 Silver Marble Indians pull up to a stop light in Mayberry later in the day. It was configured as a Roadmaster with a matching trunk. He and his wife both looked happy. I always thought this paint scheme was over-the-top gaudy when I saw it at the dealership, but from across the small intersection it was a helluvagoodlookin' bike. Kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum from a KLX though. Damn thing was silent too - I was in the Volt and I couldn't hear anything coming out of the pipes. I like quiet bikes but it was scary quiet.

marble.jpg
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Over the top for my tastes, for sure.

Might be able to do short ride tomorrow. But I'm staying close to home to reduce Deb's stress. She has enough as she has be re-assigned into the ICU taking care of Covid patients. Doesn't need to be worrying about me at the same time.

I put a mild steel shift lever on the KLX, added the top box and plan to add a manual cam chain adjuster by week's end. The part came in today, but classes restarted as well.
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Okay, great. We are on lock down, but I decided to take the Scrambler around the neighborhood just to enjoy a warm day.

Took the KLX first to try the new brake out when it wasn't raining--all good. Came back and fell over in the driveway. Foot got caught on the box. May need to take it back off until I am more comfortable with it. Neither the bike or I were hurt.

Took the Triumph out--got a few miles from home and it stopped downshifting. Had to limp home in third. Apparently not the first this has happened to, but the bike is out of warranty and I can't get it to the dealer without a truck. It's going to have to wait until the lock down stuff is over.
  17. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Your hips just need to loosen up to clear the box. If you leave the box on and just practice getting on and off the bike a couple times a day you’ll notice it get easier after a week or so. The alternative is to do ballerina like stretches using the back of a chair and there’s no fun in that - only pain.

Elvis has a 26” seat height and even that’s a struggle swinging a leg over after a long winter.

Sorry to hear about Scrambler. Hope it doesn’t cost much.

Did not commute this morning due to heavy fog but I did get out for a nice ride this evening. Bugs are hatching. Windshield is getting splattered. Some cool temps for the rest of the week so it could be parked until Saturday evening.
  18. NobeyamaGP

NobeyamaGP Nerdy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you think it's the shift return spring? That's apparently a know issue on the Tiger 800s, but *knock on wood* it hasn't happened to mine yet.
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    It could be. The shop called today after speaking the North American headquarters. There is a new part available.

He is going to try for a "goodwill repair," but since mine is out of warranty there is no guarantee. May take longer, since the home office in the UK would have to sign off on it.

Luckily I have the KLX, so the riding season--should we get one--won't be completely shot.

I did see some Tiger 800 riders talking about the issue on thetriumphforum.com.

Best wishes with yours!
  20. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Our dealer and repair shops are still open. Doors are locked, but you call in advance and let them know you are coming. Techs still want the work. You can even still buy bikes and cars but it's all done remotely until the keys get handed over.

Hope you get this taken care of soon.

Elvis is approaching 300 miles for the new season already. Lots of 5-15 miles jaunts nearby with only one longer ride.