Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Dealer said they could probably pick it up. If not, I don't know how or when I could even get it to them.

Grateful that I have the KLX...but the Triumph was riding so sweetly yesterday until this issue cropped up.
  2. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just be thankful it doesn't have Lucas Electrics.
  3. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Very true!
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    They are working up an estimate in case Triumph doesn't approve good will repair.

They'll come get it...which is nice as I don't have a truck.

Meanwhile time to get acquainted with the Klx
  5. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - Been away from the interweb a few days. Sorry to hear the Scrambler is ill. Hope all goes well with the dealer. Do you think it was exposed or is it a common problem? :loco
  6. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure it is a common problem, but the service manager said NA headquarter confirmed there is a new part design to replace a part in the shifter--so they must be aware there is a problem.
    JB2 likes this.
  7. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Even if you have to co-pay it’s great to find out now rather than on a road trip. :thumb
  8. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with you on that.

The dealership GM showed up with trailer today at 3:00 and picked up the bike.

Had planned on reinstalling my speedometer mechanism on the KLX today. Discovered I have no indicator after installing the front brake rotor, so figure I must have installed it incorrectly the other day.

Then discovered the freezer had stopped working and was defrosting. Spent the rest of the day working on cleaning that mess up.
    72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Well, the weather turned cooler so I decided do some work on the KLX. I've been messing around with the speedometer. Finally figured out that I had been installing the speed sensor incorrectly and got it back together.

I did take the stock cam chain tensioner out and installed a manual adjuster on Saturday.

Question for those with experience with oiled filters---is it common for the air box drain tube to drip filter oil out after putting a new filter in? I oiled it according to instructions, but over a week later it has started dripping filter oil out of the airbox drain hose. It is clearly filter oil--green in color and very sticky.

Advice?
    JB2 likes this.
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Weather - cooler? You mean that's why it snowed 3 inches on Sunday with periods of intermittent blizzards on Monday and Tuesday? Frickin' weather has me in a horrible mood and regretting moving so far north. Hell - I'm further north than Toronto - somebody should have shaken me real hard and asked me what in the Sam Hill I was doing.

Sorry, no experience with oiled filters (... but I suspect it is normal. Imagine how much would have drained out if it wasn't damned near frozen solid!).

Was hoping you had news on the Scrambler.

I tried out a HD demo Hammock Seat on the King last Saturday and Sunday. I'd prefer to sit a bit higher and bit further forward. Not sure the Hammock is the way to go.

Currently approaching 400 miles for the season. Mostly just trying to get the skills back to a reasonable level. Amazing the effect of atrophy. I might be able to start commuting next week... or not. Depends on the daily low temps. The highs will be high enough but not sure about the lows.
  11. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - I changed from the stock filter on the KLR to a K&N before I took my first ride. I quit using foam filters a long time ago but... I flipped a Honda Rebel two years ago and replaced the filter with a UNI. I took it for several rides, even had it plated and insured, but the filter dripped UNI oil out the moisture vent for several hundred miles. I thought I had probably over-oiled it. :hmmmmm
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I know we've had some decent weather already and with the stay-at-home stuff maybe it's just as well, but I am ready for it to warm up again.

No news on the TSS. Shop did post a FB pic showing mine and another older Scrambler in for service, but I haven't talked to them. Trying to figure how to teach online, create meaningful video/photo and stay on top of the grading has taken a lot of time anyway.

Still hoping I get some help on the bill from Triumph, but no word on that either.

Stay safe.
    JB2 likes this.
  13. radianrider

Oddometer:
    It felt good to be on the bike. I'm also wondering if the front hub is slightly bent too. The rotor was about 95% of the issue, but there seems to be a little bounce still there. Could be as simple as a balance issue too, I suppose.

Can't wait to get the Scrambler back...but still no idea when that will be.

I'd say, "Stay safe", but Mike doesn't like that, so I'll just say, "Don't touch that.":lol3
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Did you check the wheel bearing and head bearings when you had the wheel off for the brake rotor? Long shot but worth checking.

The temperature made it to 60F today. A bit windy but it wasn't as sunny as had been forecasted. I couldn't tell you how many bikes I saw when I was out today but it was a lot - literally many dozens. I saw several large cruiser clubs out in the hinterlands that I regularly frequent. No shortage of sport bikes either.

We're waiting on a pair of riding pants to be made and delivered for Mrs. RD. Ordered them several weeks ago but the manufacturer can't predict when they'll be done due to Covid-19 impact to the supply chain. She's looking forward to their arrival so she can get out of house to do something other than go to the store for essentials.

I appreciate your sensitivity. Now excuse me while I go set my hair on fire since it's getting a bit long and all the barbershops are closed. :rofl
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Triumph is ready to pick up. Triumph agreed to pay for the parts, but that is just under a $100. Shop time is not inexpensive, but considering the bike is out of warranty--I guess I can't complain.
    JB2 likes this.
  16. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the Scrambler being back together.

Weather has been improving while work has been increasingly demanding.

Yesterday was our first proper warm day - didn’t quite hit 70F - but I got out for two hours on Elvis. I’ve been slowly refining a 60-70 mile route of curvy & hilly well-paved roads to the west of me out in the far country (think Cloverdale-like and beyond) and yesterday it was glorious. Can’t wait to do it again.

I can’t tell you how many cars I saw driving on the road during the two hour loop but it might have been ten cars total. I saw a lot of cars parked at lakes and trailheads - but almost none going places. Saw a fire department dealing with a brush fire. Saw dozens and dozens of bikes out riding - far, far more than cars. Same as last weekend - almost every bike had a woman pillion.

Tonight was the first round of golf for the season. If I didn’t know better I would have thought it was a weekend - parking lot was nearly completely full. Both courses were packed full. Got paired up with three nice guys about 25 years old. Picked up right where I left off last season.

Tomorrow should be an Elvis day after work. Saturday looks like rain so it will be mower installation day on the tractor. (It takes 15 minutes but I like to set my goals low and achieve them!)

Mrs. RD is going crazy with the rest of America.
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Picked up the Triumph today and came home via I-70. Construction on the east side of Indy was forcing most of the 70 westbound to take I-465 around the southside. Made for a rather nice ride home on 70 with less than half the usual traffic.

What a fun bike to ride.

Just need to lower the shift lever a bit. Don't like having to lift my foot to downshift--but that's an easy fix. Also had them put a new USB charger under the seat. The old one never worked.

Good day!
  18. radianrider

Oddometer:
    The speedometer part for the KLX came in today, so I rode down to Dreyer Motorsport on the Triumph to pick it up. I don't usually like to ride in toward Indy, but I really wanted to ride today. Took 10th St. in and went over to US-40 to get to Dreyer. Asked about some new pinch bolts for the forks, but the parts guy said to go to Ace. Kawasaki wants $5.00 per bolt, so think I'll take his advice.

Took the long way home. The Triumph was riding and shifting perfectly and I had a great time. Came home and installed the new speed sensor. My only question after seeing the new part is how the old one worked at all. I have no idea how the PO got it to work while I was test riding the bike.

Put it back together and bopped around the neighborhood. Works like its supposed to and I got on and off the bike TWICE without falling over--so there's that.

Here's the two parts side-by-side.
    [​IMG]Nice to have my small stable back and operational in time for the weather to turn nice.
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Had a few minutes and it was warmer today, so I took a ride. Decided to take the KLX as I am still trying to get a handle on the bike and where I am in the updating and maintenance work.

Bike starts and rides well and the cam chain seems quiet since I put the manual adjuster in. That's good, because I was a bit fuzzy on whether I was adjusting it correctly. Still not sure that the front rim isn't bent slightly--or at least out of balance. Hard to know the difference between a rim issue or bad road conditions.

It is a fun bike. Very light and easy to handle. I had filled it up shortly after I bought it, but haven't ridden much. Still, had to hit reserve at about 88 miles and it took a whopping $2.50 to fill up. I spent about 90 minutes wandering around the area. I hit Cartersburg Road mentioned in some previous posts and saw several other riders out.

Some impressions--the bike really is slow, but it also fun to ride. The speedometer is about 10% off as compared to GPS. The seat is not comfortable, but I didn't really expect it to be. Nice to have expectations met. :) I really need to do something to get the muffler quieter. I really am looking forward riding trails and I want to do so without disturbing the environment unduly. Not sure I want to go back to stock--though I have a line on a stock muffler--as that apparently reduces power a bit. Not sure how much to care about that bit of power.

Got about 88 miles from from full to reserve. That is not a lot. The 1.7 gallon tank is not huge, that's for sure.

Still--it left me with a smile on my face and a song in my heart. Can't ask for more from an old, relatively inexpensive, bike.
    Turbodog1000, JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  20. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Well done on the overview. A fellow ADV’er had one and toasted it at one of Dad’s rides. I really liked it’s similarity to it’s bigger brother... which was also under-powered for the size but responsive to tweaking and tuning. I’d get the pipe you want and tune the bike to it. It won’t be a great improvement but gets you the most bang for the cc’s and the buck. Can’t wait.