Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    I was kicking myself for not riding yesterday when we hit 82 degrees. Deb wanted to take a Miata trip, so we met up with some friends and headed to Martinsville the long way round. Never a bad thing when the girl wants to spend some time enjoying the Miata with you (although, she tends to enjoy it a bit slower than I do when left to my own devices.)

That took a good chunk of the day, so had other things to do when I got home. The bad part was they were predicting a lot of rain today and I was reasonably certain I wouldn't be able to ride.

There did seem to be a lot of clouds this morning, but they did not appear to be the threatening kind, so after church and making breakfast for kith and kin, I suited up, grabbed the Trumpet and headed west, northwest of Avon. Debated taking rain gear, but figured it would be okay not to grab it.

Suited up in my $20.00 flea-market special leather jacket and enjoyed the ride.
    [​IMG]

I was in no hurry today. Something about the day just said, "Take it easy. Save the hard throttle action for another day." I listened to that little whisper and just let the bike burble along. As Simon and Garfunkel said, "Slow down, you move too fast. Got to make the morning last...looking for fun and feeling groovy."

Headed out toward Danville, went north on 39 and turned left to North Salem on 236. Stopped for fuel in North Salem and went north on 75 toward Jamestown. Saw this farm on the west side of the road. My dad would have loved it. He always appreciated a farm that appeared well-taken care of and this one brought him to mind.
    [​IMG]

I always miss him, but his memory never fails to bring a smile. He was the real deal and I was a lucky kid.

This old barn was across the street and wasn't nearly as well maintained. [​IMG]

Was riding into Jamestown--and I've been here many times over the years-- when I spotted a road I had never taken. That's always fun, so to the right I turned. It turned into a lonely country road very quickly and I enjoyed the ride. Not a lot to see, but it was a bit curvey and I hadn't been there--good enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The road eventually headed east and north back to 136 east of Jamestown. I headed back home having enjoyed my 90-minute ride immensely.

Hope you all had the same good fortune to have a weather forecast that got it wrong.

Have a peaceful, low-key day.
    popscycle, Bhart89 and JB2 like this.
  2. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Wow! I should have edited those pics before posting. Used my cell phone and it was apparently doing its own thing re: white balance and contrast issues.
  3. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you notice the auto-spell in your post?

I hope you know that $20 flea market jacket screams "Harley rider!".

Rode into work two days last week - other days were too cool in the morning. Yesterday was quite windy here. I had a morning chore of installing Cardo comms in our helmets to give Mrs. RD the ability to talk to me when she rides along. Cardo's work fairly well but I still had to do the dreaded firmware update upon unboxing. I swear field programmable devices are the second biggest scourge upon society but it went smoothly and Mrs. RD picked up the voice commands just testing the things out. I downloaded a bunch of songs from iTunes (something I've avoided doing since 2007) and took a test ride before sundown last night. At max volume setting with 32db ear plugs the volume is almost right - maybe a tad on the quiet side. I might try to find some 29db ear plugs and get the left speaker better aligned with my ear.

The afternoon chore was a minor repair to the John Deere that went much quicker than it could have gone.

Today wasn't quite so windy as yesterday so I headed out in search of curvy roads and struck gold. Most of our roads are straight as an arrow but the few that aren't tend to be pretty good for riding. (Just have to find those that have recently been re-paved or aren't covered in tar snakes.) Ended up being out for a bit over 100 miles and three hours. (Topped 1,000 miles for 2020 and Elvis is just short of 14,000 miles.) Mrs. RD had a minor health issue this morning so she stayed home. Got one picture that I will post on my own thread once I finish the current essay in progress. Nothing spectacular. I'm struggling with finding good photo subjects.

While I enjoyed having music during the three hour ride, I'm going to be spending next Saturday morning repositioning the speakers in the helmet. I managed to make my helmet now "not all day comfortable". I don't know if it will be just moving the speakers around a little bit or actually taking out some of the EPS to recess them deeper. Regardless - it has to change.

Forecast is showing lows in the 30's for the next two weeks so no commuting on Elvis for me.

Hope you guys have a good week.
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I didn't see it and still haven't spotted it!

It does have an HD vibe, but it's comfortable in this weather--so they'll just have to accept me on a Triumph!
  5. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    "...grabbed the Trumpet and headed west..."
  6. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh.

Old-time nickname for Triumphs.
    JB2 likes this.
  7. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Never heard it, but their glory period was slightly before my time. I never saw a Triumph or BSA when I was a kid.
  8. radianrider

Oddometer:
    A colleague from work wanted to share his new ride, so he came out to the house this afternoon.
    [​IMG]

He's about 25 minutes from here, so looks like we'll be getting some riding in this summer. He's a professional photographer, so I'm hoping he'll throw up some shots.
    [​IMG]
    He's 6'5" and just casually threw his right leg up and over the tail box. Makes the GS look like a reasonably-sized bike. :lol3
    Bhart89 likes this.
  9. NobeyamaGP

NobeyamaGP Nerdy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As a vertically challenged rider with a sub 30" inseam, I do envy people who can do that. Getting on and off the Tiger is a balancing act. And that's wit a low seat!
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Isn't that called the Starbucks model?

Hang around him very much and he'll be dragging your @$$ to Alaska on that Scrambler.

Beautiful GSA.
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I fell over in the driveway trying to get off a KLX250, so I join you in the envy corner. Still working out how to get off it with any degree of confidence. I'm still in the "looking-around-after-I-dismount-hoping-nobody-was-looking" stage..
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    It was a great looking bike. Really well set up with lots of Tourtech bits and farkles. He's really excited!
  13. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    He should be. That bike can take you anywhere and probably even get you back. If you've never ridden one - you really need to go to a BMW factory demo day and experience it once. Pick your favorite super model. Riding a GS/GSA is the motorcycle equivalent of having sex with your favorite super model. Or almost. Maybe. Might depend on what road you're on. Just trust me on this. Just go ride one so you know what two wheel perfection is. Frankly, I'm unworthy. That's part of why I ride the Hog. I think the Hog is helping me get in touch with my inner hillbilly. You’ll know I found it when the helmet and ATGATT disappear.
  14. radianrider

Oddometer:
    If they are that good...I better stay off them. I like to be content with what I have and I am really happy with the two I have.

Took some time out this morning before the rain is supposed hit this afternoon. Decided to take the KLX.
    [​IMG]

I replaced the front rotor with one off an old KX. [​IMG]

I had a good time riding this morning. [​IMG]

Not sure I understand the two horn deal on this bike. Sounds like a mechanical duck quack. [​IMG]

Did notice the clutch slipping a little bit, so that will likely be on the list to replace. Never done one before...so that should be interesting.

Fun bike.
    72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  15. MondayDad

MondayDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I gave my service dog trainee a bit of "me time" and put 30 miles on the KTM 790 Adv R Saturday evening... even letting my son's friend who offered to put the first scratch on it take a ride around his 3 acres of grass. I don't think I'll ever figure out all the suspension adjustments even though I used to race cars! I know the definitions of preload, high/low speed compression and rebound, just don't know what is best for what kind of riding. I keep checking on my body's "best if used by" date, though.... so far so good.

Don't let clutch replacement intimidate you. I've done bikes and shifter karts (which used 125cc bike engines) and it's not a big deal. Let me know if you want an observer.
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  16. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    The two horn configuration was common in the 70’s and 80’s. What I never understood was putting them up front next to the headlight which made them styling distractions. I mean, it’s not like we put car horns where the hood ornament goes. But check out Nighthawks - good looking bikes with ugly @$$ horns out front. I think the GPZ’s did that too. Obviously I was under the mistaken impression that sounds travels rather easily through air. Guess it does on cars but not on motorcycles.

For clutch replacement isn’t the requirement that you can count and know how to alternate the requisite plates in the proper order? Sounds less difficult than relocating the horns.
    radianrider likes this.
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Saturday was a great day to ride. Glad you got out for a bit on the new bike. I put a couple of hours in on the Scrambler and enjoyed myself immensely.

It'll be a week or so before I get to the clutch, but I'll have a chair in the garage for an armchair mechanic. :D

Getting conflicting info about what is required to do the KLX clutch. Some say the basket has to come out, others say no. Going to make sure I have straight info before I even start.
  18. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Spent a couple of nice hours in the saddle on Saturday. Just more of the usual wanderings.

Spring is in full bloom.
    [​IMG]

And the grass is getting tall. [​IMG]

There's a whole lot of empty around here at times and some of the farmers have yet to start prepping for spring.
    [​IMG]

I've always found the best way to improve the view is to see it from here.
    [​IMG]

One of the first views of Clayton coming in from the west includes these old guys.
    [​IMG]

Wrapped up my ride with coffee and a carrot-cake cupcake at Courthouse Grounds in Danville. Frosting was too sweet, but the carrot cake was good.[​IMG]
    JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Perhaps, but there are some reports that the KLX requires a bit more than removing just the clutch cover and that the entire clutch basket needs to come out. I'm hoping that is incorrect...hence the hesitancy. That and I have never done one.
  20. MondayDad

MondayDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The only reason the basket would need to come out would be if you were replacing something behind it or if the engagement teeth on the basket were worn. You won't know that until you get in there. Be sure to soak your fiber clutch plates in oil before installing them. If your clutch is cable actuated, back it off before assembly and then readjust at completion. Are you replacing springs, too? They're certainly not a big deal to replace, just a decision to make when you're ordering parts.