Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Very happy to have you along for the journey!
  2. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I'll mention to Deb that you suggest more new bikes in my future. You can deal with her! :)

The flyscreen may be a legacy item. It looks better on this bike than on the SV--I just need to fab up some better mounts for it.

Seems you tend to get sentimental about gear too. Thought I was alone in that.
    JB2 likes this.
  3. radianrider

Oddometer:
    The Triumph has no storage space for tools, or anything else. Had to put the registration and insurance info on top of the battery.

I don't have the Givi rack for this bike, so I decided to try a DIY solution. I may get one later.

Purchased the Pelican-style case for $32, found a T-bracket in my stuff, modified both to mount to the OEM rack with no mods to the rack. Had to drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the case. Lets me go with the OEM rack, the OEM rack with the case, or the pillion seat.

Not pretty, but it will allow me to safely carry a camera. Comes with pick-apart foam for custom fits for cameras and lenses. I think the industrial look works on this purposeful-looking machine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    JB2 likes this.
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Adventure riding.
    Because...adventure. [​IMG]
    JB2 likes this.
  5. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Fantastic day for riding in central Indiana. Not many shots since I was riding with someone today and there wasn't much stopping.

Dave called last night and suggested getting a ride in (if you followed along in my old thread--now held for ransom by Photobucket--you may remember that last time we rode together he ended up with broken ankle and busted bike. Better results today.)

We met up a 8:00 a.m. and headed west to North Salem, then southwest to Heritage Lake and back the same route.

I thought it was supposed to be a bit cool this a.m., so I wore a liner in my jacket. I knew within a mile or so that it was too hot. And THAT is why I love a top case. Took the liner out and stuffed it in the case. Problem solved.

We stopped at a farmstand and Dave bought sweet corn (the old "thank you for your honesty--leave the money in the box" type stand.) Good time of year to be in central IN. Corn is fantastic.

We hit McCloud Nature Preserve and I got a couple of shots while waiting for Dave.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And since it is a nature preserve....some nature
    [​IMG]

Long gravel lane leads into the preserve. Perfect for doing a little standing on the pegs and seeing what the Scrambler can do. Nice!

We eventually hit the marina at Heritage Lake to chat a bit. I like the streak of light in this shot.

[​IMG]

Saw a bit of old-time tradition in North Salem. Long bench and several chairs lined up outside the only gas station in town all filled with "old guys" chatting about who knows what.

My fond desire to have a bunch of "old guys" to do that with at some point. Meanwhile--you all fill that role. Not that you are old, or anything. :)

Almost home and I glanced in the mirror. Deja vu. No Dave. Last time that happened it wasn't good. This time--just ran out of gas and couldn't switch to reserve without stopping.

Whew!

Anyway, got back home in time for Dave to get cleaned up to get ready for a haircut.

Almost at 500 miles on the bike now and time for the first oil change. So far this bike has been everything I hoped it would be. Gas mileage is now averaging 57.8 mpg and has gotten better every fill up.

I am really enjoying the low end torque on this bike. On secondary roads I can get into third and then just roll off, set up the corner and roll on. Bike sounds fantastic just burbling along as happy as can be.

Seat is extremely good and the riding position is very comfortable. Plenty of room on the seat to move around, but the suede (or whatever it is) tends to making sliding difficult.

I set the preload on the rear shocks about 100 miles ago and have better results. Came set on 1 and that was a bit jarring on bigger bumps.
    popscycle and JB2 like this.
  6. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Your tires and rims are dusty and dirty from the gravel roads. Your bike is smiling and I'll bet you are too. :thumb
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Lol! Dave asked if I cared if I got my new bike dusty.

I told him that's why I got this one!
    JB2 likes this.
  8. radianrider

Oddometer:
    A happy garage is a great place to hang out.
    [​IMG]
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Wandered for about 90 minutes last night after it cooled off a bit. Went looking for backroads that I haven't hit before (getting harder to find as time goes by) and managed to find some!

We've had a fair amount of rain in the last few weeks and Indiana is covered with lush green vegetation. It is one of those things you become immune to when you live in the midst of it. I was reminded to "see" it when my daughter and SIL came home from Louisiana and mentioned how striking it was to them.

There are subtle clues that summer, and the riding season, are not infinite. Some of the wild grass is looking a bit over it.
    [​IMG]

The good news is that the season isn't over yet and the roads are inviting.
    [​IMG]

And those pipes sound as good as they look!
  10. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Some thoughts on the bike after 500 miles.

1. The sound alone is almost worth the price of entry.

2. The stock seat is a great seat. Took me a couple of years to find what I wanted for the SV. No need to change this one out.

3. Mileage has gone from 51 mpg to 58.3 during the break-in period.

4. You can definitely tell it has a high pipe while riding. The heat is noticeable, but manageable. I do tend to keep my right foot on the rear brake pedal at stops, otherwise the inside of my thigh touches the pipe and it can be uncomfortable. Some riders are removing the cat and say the heat issue is better, but the bike is louder. I'll deal with the heat for now.

5. Love the torque. Miss the engine compression braking on the SV, but I'll adapt.

6. Haven't yet found myself hunting for a higher gear while in 5th. Had to train myself to glance at the tach on the SV so I would stop searching for another gear (60mph was right around 4k rpms, for those wishing to know. :))

7. The SV is a great bike, but riding them back-to-back demonstrates a higher level of fit and finish on the Triumph. Everything just works more smoothly. It also demonstrates how much fun both bikes are to ride. The SV is still a great ride at 17-years old.

8. The Triumph really does not like sharp bumps in the road at highway speeds. Suspension really jolts. All other situations? Bike suspension is great. Much softer ride on broken roads typical of rural Indiana. Progressive fork springs and aftermarket rear shocks may be added in the future--but not an urgent matter.

9. Ordered the Givi tail rack for the Triumph. Kind of like the case on it now, but thought it might look cleaner with a rack designed for the bike. We'll see.

10. Gear box function is a thing of beauty. Snick into gear up or down. And the torque-assist clutch? Unbelievably easy to use.

11. I wonder about the long-term on this bike. Absolutely love the bike, I'm pretty sure this will be the one I pass on to my kids, but.... It is SO computer controlled. Anti-lock brakes, traction control, electronic fuel injection--all computer driven and nothing can be done with any part of it without OBDII control. Already thinking about where I can get an inexpensive Window machine to run an aftermarket product called Dealer Tool to manage the electronics.

12. This bike fits where and how I ride. Like the 19" front on bad country roads. The SV was far quicker to turn, but the Scrambler is just as fun--but different.

13. All that to say, this is a great ride and I still turn around to look at it when I walk away. Stirs the soul.
  11. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - If you keep up with all the good stuff about the Street Scrambler I might have to opt for one of them instead of the SCR950. But in reality, and in defiance of the reviewers, I'm still leaning towards the Yamaha.

I back-read your earlier post when you were out riding with Dave. Rural America has definitely shifted and it's great to see some small towns still have those old men watching over the local gathering spot. Bhuff and I ran into a McDonalds in Elkins, WV one morning. When we came back out there about 10 old guys surrounding our bikes. We weren't sure if they were friendlies or if they were outlaws escaped from the old folks home. They were genuinely interested in our bikes and what brought us to WV. Then they introduced themselves as the R.O.M.E.O. Club(Retired Old Men Eating Out). They had their own corner in the Micky D's complete with newspaper articles and a cover story from Time or Newsweek proudly displayed on the walls of the restaurant. They were a local legend and made us two younger old guys feel right at home. Hopefully you and I still have 20 years or more before we get to the R.O.M.E.O. Club but it's never to early to start living the stories we'll tell to the young bucks, eh?

Yes, motorcycle life is good!
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    The heart wants what the heart wants. You seem to get less invested in your bikes--or at least more willing to let one go. I get hooked (had absolutely no plans to get another bike and I was happy with the SV) and find it hard to let go.

Life goals! R.O.M.E.O. it is!

My favorite Romeo story also happened a Micky D's. One old guy was going on about driving by the high school and seeing all the cars. Said, "It's like they all need to drive their own cars. Too good to share rides."

One of the others sipped his coffee, looked out into the parking lot and said, "Kinda like all of us driving our own cars here."

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything or a spit-take would have happened.
    JB2 likes this.
  13. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    "The heart wants what the heart wants. You seem to get less invested in your bikes--or at least more willing to let one go."

Guilty as charged. However, I have loved all of the bikes I've owned even the ones I hated. Every purchase has been an emotional buy because bikes are always talking to me. I try to back up the purchase with solid reasoning but it's all bullshit because it is 100% emotional. I'm already thinking about the next bike once the Yamaha is ready for a new home. I keep saying I want one of everything but that is also bullshit... I want all of them! :lol3
  14. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Not exactly Indiana...but fun looking at bikes and riders in Ireland.

Tried to talk to the owner of the Honda Pan European on the right...but he had no English and I had no whatever he was speaking.

Took a while for him to figure out that I ride a Tri-umph and he said, "Ahhhh! Tree-impha!"

He said something and I figured out he was saying Honda. Pretty much all we could communicate...but it was enough. We "thumbs upped" and parted.

I see a lot of bigger touring bikes, but not many smaller bikes in the area.

Roads are extremely narrow with lots of blind driveways.
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Back from vacation and spent some time installing the Givi Top Case Rack that arrived while I was in Ireland.

Took it out for a ride this evening, but only one picture. Lots of rain in the area and I ended up getting a little wet before I made it back.

Can't decide which rack I like better on the bike, but it is nice to have options. The Givi only takes about 10 minutes to install and/or remove.

[​IMG]

Hope to ride tomorrow, but lots of rain in the forecast for the rest of the week. We'll see.
    JB2 and B10Dave like this.
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Added the top case for camera gear. Out testing in a bit!
    [​IMG]
    Nicknewb and JB2 like this.
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Top case working out beautifully. I mounted it to the Givi rack without drilling any new holes and can move it back to the pillion seat in about 10 minutes.

That means I can mount one of my Givi cases to this rack, add the OEM rack to the pillion-seat space, slap on my tank bag and add a duffle on top of the OEM rack and case. Should be adequate for most luggage needs (not that I have need of much a present--but I have dreams of longer trips.)
    JB2 likes this.
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pics of your new ride and Hoosier scenery.

I thought Falcone up on 16th Street in Indy was a Triumph dealer amongst all their other brands. Did they drop Triumph? They were closed on 7/3 when I stopped there.

I was visiting my mother in Brownsburg the week of the 4th but I did not have my Strom sorted by then. I just completed bar risers so I may venture down there on the bike. It was a hot week to be there though and probably would not have ridden much due to the heat.
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Falcone still has the Triumph signage, but they dropped the brand last year. Apparently Triumph has been alienating a lot of dealers with new demands for dedicated floor space, minimum numbers of bikes and single-brand dealership requirements.

No Triumph dealers in the entire state at the moment. Closest one is 2 hours away. I hope that changes. Made me a bit nervous to buy this one, but I couldn't resist. I am thrilled with it and will be right up until I need a dealer (which may be a very long time.)

I put really high bar risers on my SV along with Hi-Rise ATV bars. Very comfortable riding position.

Not sure how far you are away from Brownsburg, but I keep thinking about the ever-shorter riding season and going out in spite of the heat. :)
  20. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW, Ducati, Triumph all spec dedicated floor space now. Only the metrics seem ok with sharing space.

I’m in Minneapolis so my season is shorter. But for now it is hot and humid.