Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    I bought the EBC DRC kit and it comes with springs. I just ordered the clutch cover gasket and it should arrive on Tuesday. Fortunately, that's the day my final grades are due, so the timing works well.

Thanks for the tips!
  2. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a two-dayish ramble around central and southern Indiana with JB2 and BHuff. They had originally planned to be on a ride to NC while on vacation. Covid put paid to that plan.

I had been invited to join them, but this is actually finals week and ordinarily I need to be on campus. Covid put paid to that too.

We all agreed that we REALLY needed to ride. I've never taken a multi-day ride and this seemed like a good time to stick my toes in and see if the water was warm. The water was...but it was the only thing that was.

The weather has been more than a little iffy for a couple of weeks and the forecast didn't look all that stellar this week either. I threw the top case and tank back on and made sure the rain gear was included.

Indiana is slowly opening, so we decided to see if we could swing a ride down to Madison--a cool little river town on the Ohio River.

I picked a mesh jacket, but with pretty decent liner and left two warmer jackets at home. Not the best choice for the ride. I was pretty chilled by the time I got to Greenfield.

JB2 and BHuff actually arrived about an hour early..and I ended up about 10 minutes late. We gassed up and headed south on IN-9 aiming for IN-7. It was chilly and overcast, but not raining.

Brian helpfully pointed out a spot of blue about the size of a child's blow-up swimming pool and promptly frightened it off. Clouds dominated again. There were several great old barns covered in ivy along the route, but you'll have to imagine them unless I get that way on my own again.

I thought I was a weeny because I was really getting cold. My hands were getting stiff with cold. My warmest gloves were not warm and I resorted to putting my hands on the catalytic converter when we got held up by construction. Turns out I wasn't a weeny, or we all were--your call. Jim and Brian were pretty cold too. I threw my rain coat over my jacket to help break the windchill and that really helped.

The plan was to get to the hotel, check in and then explore the area. By the time we got there we were just looking for the coffee and a place to get warmed up. We ended up ordering pizza and swapping stories all night.

KY across the river from Jim's balcony [​IMG] The bikes lined up outside the hotel. Pretty tanks [​IMG]

Things looked better in the morning and the wind had died down. [​IMG] Brian kept insisting that we weren't going to see any rain in spite of the radar arguing the point.

We had a much warmer ride from Madison to Scottsburg and over to Salem. Our goal was to pick up 135 north. 135 is a good road north with lots of elevation changes--at least for Indiana--and plenty of curves.

We arrived in Brownstown and stopped for coffee. One of clerks was spraying down the sidewalk and warned Jim that he should be careful where he parked and set his feet down. Apparently an older gentleman had just left after having an issue with a leaky adult undergarment. (Delicate, ain't I?)

Brian, being somewhat less delicate, decided it brought new meaning to Brownstown. And no, there are no pictures. I am not an animal.

I did put my rain coat back over my jacket, but I was very comfortable for the rest of my ride time.

We stopped at The Story Inn, an iconic fixture in a lot of Indiana ride threads, for lunch. The pulled-pork was great and the guys said the burgers were excellent.[​IMG]

Very cool place. Obligatory pic in front of the Inn.[​IMG]

We headed back north after lunch, gassed up just before Nashville, IN and enjoyed the curves along the top of the ridge on the north side of town. We said our "so-longs" in Morgantown. The radar looked really threatening over on the eastside of the state and right over where Brian and Jim were heading. Cap't Optomist continued to insist that rose-colored unicorns did exist and that all would be well.

I took 252 west; they took 252 east. I hit wet roads between Mooresville and Plainfield, but never got a drop of rain on the entire trip. I got home about 4:00.

What a great way to spend a couple of days. Hanging with friends and riding bikes.

As Jim said, while quoting another ADV'er--"This does not suck."
  3. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - I know you took more pictures than that! Hopefully I can get my page updated soon. I think we made the best of not so desirable weather and a short time span. The ride down had us all stoved up from the cool temps and strong winds but we made up for it today. Not that we didn’t have a grand time reliving old trips and getting to know each other better. One thing for sure we didn’t see but a handful of other riders and had just about every place we stopped to ourselves. The wins outweighed the weather.

Bhuff is the one that uttered the quote first. Funny thing is when we were zipping up that last stretch before Story I was thinking the OP would be saying just that. Not sure if he ever visits your page but the ADVer that owns that quote is @Fast Ferris . Today just did not suck. :thumb

Really nice tank and bridge shots. I shot the bridge in high resolution and am anxious to see the results. I was able to get the same level of zoom with the lens so hopefully it pays off in clarity. It would have been nice to have a tripod but since I had to pack tools for ALL three of us I didn’t have room.

Also glad the pulled pork was good. The hamburgers were fantabulous! May have been the best I ever ate. @Bhuff we got to get this guy on the same page... BBQ at the BBQ joint and hamburgers at a 5-star that’s famous for their burgers. Can sushi be far behind? :fpalm

Last it was an honor to ride with you again. We really do have to get you more than two days from home and hopefully some place we can hook up with @jim a (Gentleman Jim). :*sip*

JB2
    72 Yamaha RD350 and Fast Ferris like this.
  4. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Joel. I had a great time even tho the weather wasn't great.
    I pulled in the drive hopped off the bike removed my gear walked to my bar popped a top and watched the rain sweep across the field. Not a drop on the ride. I knew we would make it dry.

Jb2 and I kinda laughed when we rode into Franklin and wt roads and puddles. We had just missed the rain. We ended up on county roads we had never seen before cause I guess I missed the sign for 44, and we were determined to not hit any interstate, but that was not the first sign we missed on this trip.

Weather does not matter when you are on an adventure with great riding friends. Cant wait to do it again
    JB2 likes this.
  5. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didnt take many pics but mine seem to have a theme.

Hmmm do you think I have an issue?
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Your faith was unshakable! Glad you made it home dry. Cold is one thing, cold and wet is another!

Good to travel new roads with you. I look forward to the next time.
  8. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Weeeelll...could be. :lol3
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I did take a lot more at Story Inn, but they need some editing. The ones I took on the road seem to have you and BHuff in odd poses. This is my favorite of those. I'm running music clips in my head trying to determine which has the beat that might explain the pic. :jack
    [​IMG]

This is the closest to normal that I shot.
    [​IMG]

More to come after I get time to edit.
    JB2 likes this.
  10. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - I'm guessing you have your work cut out for you, I think I'm always in an odd pose. :lol3 Sometimes I wish I had one of those fancy phones so I could post right to the interweb but I don't. Here's to hoping I can get my publishing sorted out this weekend and get my own report posted up. I didn't get a lot of photos but I did get one superb image of the bridge and anxious to get it on ADV.

Brian and I looked over the same map and it appeared that coming into Franklin on 252 meant a slight jog north on 31 to intersect 44 heading east. To be honest I let my guard down once Brian took the lead but we both knew we were in trouble when we came into the southside of Greenwood. Where the hell is 44?

We stopped in a gas station to revisit the maps and find a way around the Super-Slab to get the hell out of the metro area. Unfortunately the state map doesn't show any local routes and the pages I cut out of the backroads maps didn't include this area. All the towns have grown and expanded to the point you can't tell one from another. 31 has turned into Big-Box-Ville and completely engulfed the area where there is literally no distinction between Franklin-Greenwood-Indy. :scratch

While in the gas station and cleaning our face shields I heard the distinct sound of someone knocking on the window from inside the store. Here we go I thought, they're going to ask us to move the bikes. Nope, I was wrong. It was a young Indian gentleman holding his i-Phone in the pose of taking a picture. Basically he was asking through gesturing if he could take a photo of the bikes. I nodded yes and motioned for him to come out. Then he pointed at himself and it struck me that he wanted me to take a picture of him with the bikes. Again I motioned him out.

He was obviously working alone and jumped at the first opportunity to leave the register. In twice-broken English he first asked us about the bikes. Some I understood and replied, while Brian caught other things I didn't and answered. The young man then set the phone to camera and handed it to me. I took the first few images in landscape position. He checked them out and said, "No, take like this." meaning to reposition the phone to take the images in portrait. I actually snapped off several good images of him standing between the Indian and the Yamaha with an undeniable "best moment of the day" smile. We bantered some more and ended our chance meeting with fist bumps and smiles.

As a sidebar; there's a lot of opinions about open borders and government help for folks from foreign countries just to mention two. I've been around enough to see both sides and have adjusted my own views to some degree. But, here's a kid from a far away land, who can barely speak the language and is working while others are hiding out in their homes afraid of an invisible enemy. At a young age he's got a long road ahead of him to navigate our diverse and divided society. For a brief moment motorcycles wiped away those barriers. How cool is that?

I know we made his day and he certainly added something to ours. I failed to take any images of him with my camera or even get his name but in retrospect I'm not sure it mattered. We had bantered and conversed with good old boys almost every time we stopped. Motorcycle travel has a way of removing barriers but also adds credence to the fact that getting lost is sometimes the best part of the adventure.

Brian and I stair-stepped our way on country roads and actually found a few pieces of twisted tarmac. We ended up on the near westside of Greenfield after navigating by sense of direction only and avoiding the Interstate completely. Not bad for a couple of gray-hairs.

Can't wait to do it again! :thumb
    72 Yamaha RD350 and Bhart89 like this.
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    44 intersects 31 just before you hit all the businesses in Franklin. CVS on NE corner, Walgreens on SW. Takes you right through the heart of the old downtown.

You are right about the sprawl between Franklin and Indy. Not much distinction anymore. Used to be pretty clear when I started back in '85.

Great story about the kid wanting pictures. Riding can be a great unifier.
    JB2 likes this.
  12. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    That description is repeated every other block. :lol3

Can't think of a line in a song that fits the image of Brian and I in front of the Story Inn. I could certainly come up with some memes. :photog
  13. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My first love was a wicked twisted road comes to mind
    JB2 likes this.
  14. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Good song. Never heard it before.
    JB2 likes this.
  15. MondayDad

MondayDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do any of you travel with Sena-compatible intercoms?
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I don't have one and, if forced to bet on it, I'd say the odds are really long against Jim or Brian having them.

One of them, not to be named, has a flip phone.
    JB2 likes this.
  17. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Well Joel, I'm pretty proud of the fact I don't carry a smart phone nor a GPS so there is that. Not sure how I feel about coms. My first reaction is more cords and more junk to maintain and haul around. Most folks I ride with come from the old school and we speak fairly good hand/motion language.

Brian picked out a very good song. Maybe one that doesn't fit the picture you were referring to but best describes 135 from Salem to Bean Blossom. I have no doubt you'll listen to it numerous times now that you have found it. I hear this song every time I'm leaned in a corner, cresting a hill and overlooking a rolling valley. Enjoy.

18. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I didn't out the flip phone user! Just sorta mentioned it!

I can see coms being useful at times...but not often, at least in my case.

Already spent some time playing that song already
    JB2 likes this.
  19. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It seems whenever I have a throttle twisting in my hand I always have a song running thru my head. So many songs,so many roads and only so much time.

Live like you were dying. Not a huge Tim McGraw fan but those words have stuck with me!
    JB2 likes this.
  20. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Lot of truth in those words. @Bhuff , take note of Joel’s location... “If we never go, we will never know”. Comes from a song by The Steel Woods of the same name. There’s a ton of good songs about getting out and living. Can’t wait to get Joel on a longer adventure. He would gel with just about everyone we ride with.

Regarding coms: I deal with the public every day and help/support a group of talented craftsman. I am surrounded by a tight-knit family. I am over-connected electronically and I don’t even Facebook or Twitter. When I throw a leg over the bike I don’t want a radio blaring in my face nor do I want to communicate through ear-buds or built in coms. Living life at 60mph with a couple of good friends filling the mirrors is all I need... or want. In that moment I am as connected as I ever want to be. Life in the wind is good.
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.