Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    I tend to ride alone a lot. I do so to get away. Coms could be a good thing, but I'd have to ride with someone a lot more to want to spend the money.
    JB2 likes this.
  2. MondayDad

MondayDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ride with a Sena 10c and appreciate the video camera aspect if riding alone. I often ride with my son and some of his friends, and find that the intercom allows us to point out things to each other, enjoy/laugh/whatever without having to remember and discuss at a stop sign or McDs. We did a "man trip" on scooters last fall, mostly gravel. Out past Rockville, down to Washington, over to Nashville and back home in 3 long days. I've ridden for about 58 years (!) and that was some of the toughest riding I've ever done! Mostly gravel and 10"-12" tires, max engine 150cc rules. In the 3 days, I think there were 7 times that bikes went down (and we only had 6 riders) resulting in a few scrapes covered by multiple 3/4" Band Aids. Got some hilarious video! First scooter that broke was Chinese... who knew that you couldn't off-road in a corn field on a scooter? Go figure. We were planning another man trip to Smoky Mtns south side this summer, but the younger guys have probably burned up their PTO/vacation with the COVID layoffs. I've been watching the Maggie Valley gathering thread on the Battle Scooters forum and may join them depending on what my IndyCar obligations are...
    72 Yamaha RD350, Bhuff and JB2 like this.
  3. radianrider

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a ridiculous amount of fun! I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Good reason to have a com system as well.
    JB2 likes this.
  4. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
  5. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So back to work tomorrow. Think I need a vacation from my vacation!! Momma worked my but in the ground.

Had a great two days in the COLD wind but at least they were in the wind. Cant wait to do it again.
    JB2 likes this.
  6. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That would be butt. Damn smart phones
    radianrider and JB2 like this.
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Started soaking the clutch plates in oil today. Planning to use the next couple of days on the garage taking care of some car/bike related things that need doing.

Supposed to rain...so seems like a good use of time.

Got about an hour on the Triumph today just wandering around.
    72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  8. MondayDad

MondayDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you want an observer. Should be a simple project. Have you looked for videos on YouTube?

My service dog trainee goes to a new trainer on Friday at 1. 2 puppies in a row has almost done me in. We have 2 4 week old black Lab puppies (out of a litter of 8) still looking for Puppy Raisers. They go out when 8 weeks old. I told the puppy trainer that I'd take one starting July 1 if nobody else volunteered rather than seeing them go to another program. That would shoot my July/Aug free time, though.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I have to make a run to Greenwood to get my wife's cell phone worked on...but I'll let you know when I head back. If it rains and you'd rather drive you are welcome to bring the pup.

Haven't found any specific videos, just general "here's how you replace clutch packs in dirt bike' stuff.
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great ride. I haven’t been to Madison since boat races on the river in ‘80 or so. My dad loved races of anything with engines.

Great pictures.

Our weather was similar Saturday.

Always take the rain gear for that second purpose. The Midwest be fickle most of the year.
    JB2 likes this.
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Just wrapped up the clutch job on the KLX. Special thanks to MondayDad for coming over to help out. I might have done the job alone, but I'd still be working on it. His advice--and willingness to ride back home for his air-impact hammer--were invaluable.

He showed on his new KTM 790 Adventure. What a great looking bike! Went back for the hammer and came back on his K1200 as it has a top case.

Really enjoyed getting to know him and am VERY appreciative of his mechanical expertise. He didn't facepalm even once! (And I'm pretty sure I gave him cause a couple of times.)

The KLX is running great and we are talking about hitting the road sometime on Saturday for a jaunt west and south. I'll be able to keep up since he still has to break the KTM in.:lol3
  12. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You'll be good to ride with no rain I promise!! Always the optimus
    radianrider and JB2 like this.
  13. radianrider

Oddometer:
    You weren't wrong last week!
    JB2 likes this.
  14. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Captain Optimist was correct. The weather was fantastic and the ride was just as good.

I'll post some thoughts and pictures when I'm not so tired.

For now, sometimes Indiana is a bit drab with brown fields and leafless trees. Not today. Indiana was strutting her stuff--lush vegetation, roads dressed in canopies of green and twisty roads. So much so that I saw MondayDad just raise both arms a couple of times as though to say, "Can you believe this?"

Good on ya', Indiana, good on ya'!
    JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  15. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are welcome. Been working around the hous . Mommas list to get done.
    My garden is exploding in this wonderful weathe . Off tomorrow and gonna ride. Have to go to doctor but I will get a ride in for sure!!
    JB2 likes this.
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    So, back to Saturday. MondayDad has a new KTM 790 Adventure that needed some miles toward the break-in service period and both of us had some time to spend. We agreed to meet up at my place at 1:00 and head southwestish. He actually came up a plan to go take a look at some covered bridges in Parke County.

Ain't she purty?
    [​IMG]

We hit the back roads as soon as possible and just bopped along at about 50 mph or so. No particular place to be and no particular time to arrive. It was on the edge of cool, but by the time we got to a turn-around point I needed to take the liner out of my jacket.

We wandered into downtown Greencastle and proved that a KTM and a Triumph do not weigh enough to trigger the left-turn light on the nothwest side of the square. We'd likely still be there if a guy in a jacked up pickup hadn't moved forward when I waved him up to put some weight on the switch. (Well, probably not--MondayDad said we were going to run it if it cycled once more without the left arrow.)

I don't know what road we took out of town, but it was a good one. Elevation dropping and lots of corners. Passed the Call Family Farm--if that locates it for any of you (jdfog--looking at you.)

MondayDad was leading--I was more than happy to follow as I knew he had to keep it below a certain rpm during break in. He did get on it at least once and just walked away from the Scrambler. Almost double the HP makes a difference.

We were headed toward the Falling Rock covered bridge and came on this one first. [​IMG]

Bob called photo-op and we found a path down to the bridge. [​IMG]

I went up the bank to get a shot--this one--[​IMG] and hit the proverbial "slippery slope" on the way back down. Ended up flat on my back in high clover. :lol3

This is shortly after I got back to the bike. [​IMG]

It was almost one of those, "this isn't nearly as funny" moments just a bit later as we headed out. If you take a look at the picture of the two bikes on the bridge you'll see part of the path we took to get up to it. On the way back down something caught the edge of my boot and yanked my foot off the peg. Seems there was a post sticking up just below the height of the grass and we didn't see it on the way in. Another inch or so to the left and it would have caught the peg.

Probably not much fun if it had.

I think it was shortly after when we came on a scene that had Bob throwing both hands up in the air in a "can you believe this?" moment. The trees are fully leafed out at this point and branches were spread across the road creating a canopy. It was glorious! Worth the price of admission!

We got through and Bob hopped off his KTM and said I had to ride his bike back up through that. Well, Mom didn't raise a dummy, so I took him up on it. Probably shouldn't have as KTM has really created a great bike and I need to be content with what I have. :D

Bob didn't take me up on the offer to ride the Scrambler and I'm telling myself he was worried about the same thing.:lol3

Anyway, that 790 is the real deal, powerful, comfortable and refined. Sweet ride made all the better by the canopy I was riding under. One for the memory banks.

We ended up in Mansfield and crossed into town on this bridge. [​IMG]

It wasn't all that warm, but there were swimmers in the river under the bridge. Main street one way [​IMG] and the other. [​IMG] More quads parked in the lot than cars.

I don't know for sure that was the main street, but there is not much there. The field on the other side of the bridge was sectioned off in parking lot sections for the Covered Bridge Festival every fall. I'm guessing the place survives on that most years.

I was standing about in front of the mill when I took the street shots. [​IMG]

We headed back out of town across the bridge toward Falling Rock bridge again, but never actually got there. I did need to get back before it got too late--Deb had worked three days of 10-hour shifts and deserved some attention...so we eventually turned around.

One minor slip occurred at the turn around and let's just say Bob took care of the first scratch question. No pictures from me, but maybe he'll post up. It really was a slip--it was muddy right where we decided to head back.

We took some road up to some other road and headed back. Rode back on 36--not my favorite as it is pretty heavily traveled, but Bob was accommodating my need to get back. I think both of us would have preferred back roads on the way home too.

All in all, I had a great time. Bob is a really good rider and we seem to have similar ideas of what makes a good ride.
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
    This is the part where some of you would probably like to throw things at me. I have summers off and I took advantage of that time and took the KLX out for run today.

Low humidity, warm temps and blue skies make for a compelling argument for owning bike. I hadn't ridden the KLX for any length of time since we did the clutch, so this seemed like the time.

I had also been reading threads about people putting a Coleman Maddog ATV seat cover on their dual sport bikes and decided that riding the plank was getting old. Spent the $20 at Wallie World and installed it this morning. It made a surprising difference and I rode for a couple of hours in relative comfort. Let's face it...there is only so much you can do to a dual sport seat without spending a great deal of money. On balance... twenty dollars well spent as I came home because I wanted to, not because I had to get off the bike.

Stopped at a roadside ice cream stand and had a chocolate malted. Haven't had one in years. You get to look at the bike and imagine the malted.:lol3
    [​IMG]

Here's the cover. It isn't quite long enough, but it doesn't interfere with standing up or moving forward or back. [​IMG]

It seems to be my week for tree canopies.
    [​IMG]

Anyway...another good day of riding. :D
    72 Yamaha RD350, Bhuff and JB2 like this.
  18. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    @MondayDad - Good looking bike there sir. What brand of tires are stock on the 790? I'm liking the tread pattern a lot!

Joel - Could not throw anything at you for the time off. It is what it is and you always are busy with work on two of the most traveled moto-weekends of the year; Memorial Day and Labor Day. Bhuff and I are headed to the U.P. to meet Gentleman Jim there the first week of September that ends on Monday, Labor Day. My guess is you'll be back in session with classes. Great pics too!
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Give me a few more years and then look in your mirror for a red Triumph and a guy with a grin.

I liked his tires too and checked them out. Metzler Karoos on the KTM. I like the Tourances on the Scrambler, but those look interesting for replacements when the time comes.
    JB2 likes this.
  20. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    That will be a good day my friend! :thumb