Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Not much on "summer" riding because I'm not much of a fan of the heat. Probably why I do most of my heavy riding in the fall and spring. There are some cool days coming next week though and a week on the road this fall to the U.P. Lots to do in the shop to get it set up and a luggage rack to fabricate and home projects to finish and... this day job keeps getting in the way. :D

Angry sewing machine is a good description.:photog
    radianrider likes this.
  2. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Took the KLX out again today after doing some work seal the exhaust connections better.

What a pleasant little companion for exploring now that it just purrs along. Made a huge difference in how I feel about riding it.

[​IMG]
    JB2 likes this.
  3. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess that means you could never be a Harley rider. :jack :rofl:rofl:imaposer:D

Was looking at the map of southern Indiana today. I would have never guessed it was 220 miles from Aurora to Evansville - and that’s as routed by Google maps. I’m sure Elvis could easily turn it in 300 or 320.
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Well, I have never ridden one, but I would never say never. Does seem I'm on the other end of the spectrum at the moment.

Elvis sounds like a good bike. Why take the short route when there is a longer way to go?
  5. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    You have the correct number of cylinders... just in the wrong orientation. :rofl

If Elvis makes the trip - you can take your baptismal HD ride. At this point plans aren’t firm. Wife needs to decide whether she’s going or staying. I want/need to do some side trips while I’m there and she may not be up for that in the summer heat. If she goes then it’s another Buick road trip. If she stays then it’s Elvis on Tour. I don’t mind either way. We are also talking about a three day ride to/from Duluth - ride up one day, tour a day along Superior, and ride back a day.

I may need to get an Airhawk or a new seat. Seems the stock HD seat that I loved so much has lost its plushness in 15,000 miles.

Got new riding boots for Father’s Day. I wanted vented summer boots. Scoured Revzilla last week and came up empty for what I wanted to spend and there wasn’t much even above what I wanted to spend. I think Covid broke the supply chain. Stopped in the HD dealer for a can of spray paint (I’m repainting windmill #2 to replace #1 while it goes through refurbishing) which they didn’t have, but they had a brand new vented boot they just got in. Vents fantastic while riding.

https://www.harley-davidsonfootwear.com/US/en/lensfield/45088M.html

Windmill # 1 is John Deere green and yellow. It’s going on ten years of weathering and showing some rust. It will get repainted in the same JD green and yellow scheme. Number 2 is a spare wheel and tail acquired when daughter # 2 backed into the tower. Wheel/Tail number 2 is going to get a retro HD paint scheme I saw at the dealer. Vintage 50’s colors so my neighbor doesn’t confuse the orange for his Kubota colors. :D
  6. radianrider

Oddometer:
    You lead an interesting life. :lol3

Ordered some new tires for the KLX today. Went with Shinko 705's for the riding in this area. I have decided that "angry sewing machine' may be a bit overstated--more like a slightly annoyed bee.

May have to re-jet. I think it is running a bit rich. I'll have a better idea when I run a tank of gas through it to get a sense of the mpg.
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Sort of motorcycle related--first coat of poly on the cornhole boards Jon has been working on.
    [​IMG]
  8. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Hopefully Bhuff is watching. Nice graphic.

@72 Yamaha RD350 - From Duluth, traveling east, there's a cool little town called Bayfield, WI. Very much worth the trip out onto the peninsula. It has a cool little sheltered marina full of sailboats. I've caught some awesome sunsets from the pier. Heading back in September unless they lock everything down again.
    Bhuff likes this.
  9. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Aware of it. One of my retired co-workers has a condo and sailboat docked at Bayfield.
    JB2 likes this.
  10. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Can't wait be be able to ride in September.
    JB2 likes this.
  11. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    You going with us? :happay
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    In the words of most political campaigns...four more years
  13. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know. But, you probably already knew it was tongue-n-cheek. :D Can’t say that I wasn’t the least bit hopeful though. :nod

In an odd twist of events I’m figuring out when I can get back to Bean Blossom/Morgantown. Maybe we can do another ride but just down to Story and back? Day trippin’ to the letter.
    Bhuff and radianrider like this.
  14. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Some great roads to explore
    Bhuff and JB2 like this.
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Let me know when and I'll do my best to make it happen.
    JB2 likes this.
  16. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    If this comes together I'll be in contact with you and Bhuff. One of those curve balls in life and I was lucky enough to swing at it and get a hit. More to come.
  17. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    @JB2: Are you thinking this day trip would be next week?
  18. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    @72 Yamaha RD350 Well, probably not. Ever heard of a band called The Steel Wheels? That's all I can say for the moment. I know you're thinking of heading this way soon. If I can get away I'd still go riding with you and Joel regardless. Just let me know when. I could probably get that Indian rider to go with us too.
  19. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I have next week open but haven't figured out what I'm doing. A complication is that Covid seems to be growing out of control in higher population density areas. Indiana isn't a problem yet but the trend is poor. My mother's assisted living facility is still in partial lockdown so I wouldn't be able to see her very long... but maybe it's still worth it since I don't know when I'll see her next. At this rate I might know what I am doing by 9am on Saturday morning.
    JB2 likes this.
  20. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:

You have me intrigued
    JB2 likes this.