Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Brian - Even I am intrigued. May not know anything for weeks even months but, when I do, you and Joel will be the first to know. If RD is in the mix he will know too.
    Bhuff likes this.
  2. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode to work today. Great ride till I hit New Castle . I70 absolute mess so now 38 in the new interstate. Traffic is terrible. But hey I was in the wind.
    JB2 likes this.
  3. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    New shoes for the KLX.

[​IMG]
    72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  4. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here in Indy but staying for less than 24 hours. We’re in the Buick this trip which is good because we went through downtown Chicago (roads suck) and got caught in a helluva rainstorm today in Monon. Saw mom tonight for a couple hours. Will see her again tomorrow morning before heading west and then northwest.

Joel knows from FB that we spent Saturday morning at the HD museum in Milwaukee. Was beyond cool in a lot of different ways.

Check out the Covid protection at the Point of Sale terminals.

99C2DF54-A356-48CA-BBAA-B3F96490B10F.jpeg 605D8DAC-646F-4066-98E6-1E9D6AB4347C.jpeg
    JB2, radianrider and Bhuff like this.
  5. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Hope to see you next time! Safe travels!

Started to change the tires on the KLX. Where in all the world did I put my valve-stem core remover?

Anybody?
  6. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    In the top right drawer next to the spark plug gap tool and the air-chuck... Oh wait. That's my tool box. Sorry.
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Oddly enough, that's where mine was supposed to be. Found it in the top left drawer---next to the inaccurate tire gauge I never quite get around to tossing.
  8. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I wrastled the dad-gummed rear tire on...but it was a close battle. Doesn't appear that I pinched the tube and it is holding air.

It was HOT out in the garage today. I think humidity and temp were in a close battle for the lead and I'm not sure who won. I do know it wasn't me.

Too knackered to take it for a spin---guess I'll give that a shot in the a.m. Need to get the rear tire scrubbed in a bit, but I'm pretty much out of the game 'til morning.
    JB2 likes this.
  9. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Yea, typical Indiana summer. I went out for a 4.2 mile walk this morning at 7am and by the end it was pretty miserable out. I’m usually pretty good with it as long as I work into it but I was glad to be done.
    radianrider and JB2 like this.
  10. radianrider

Oddometer:
    My SIL and I got the front tire mounted in the relative cool of the a.m.. The front tire is really much easier.

I had hoped a new set of tires would resolve a bounce in the front and they did help, but it is still there. Any suggestions?

The front rim is definitely heavy near the hole for the valve stem. I put some adhesive weights on the other side of the rim, but they didn't help much. I hit 63 mph at one point and one of the weights flew off and hit me the knee. Didn't feel anything different with or without the weight.

Went looking for stretch of gravel to help take the tire mold release off. Found a couple of miles of gravel, loosen my grip and let the bike do its thing.

[​IMG]

The biggest difference was the noise. I could actually hear the sound of the bike instead of the tire noise so prevalent with the old IRC tire. Nice change.
    jdfog2, 72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  11. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all - hope everyone is well. 2020 really has an element of "Embrace the Suck" so far.

But I hope you all are finding some of those things that make like joyful - simple things. Family, reading books, fishing, gardening, just watching nature. We're really blessed even when we don't think we are.

Jay
    radianrider likes this.
  12. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joel - the post a page or 2 or 3 back where you and MondayDad went through Greencastle and ended up in Mansfield at some point - you left town and enjoyed the elevation and winders on "West Walnut Street Road." It's West Walnut Street extended.

We didn't used to be creative enough to name the road something else :)

There's some GREAT riding in the area to be so close to Indy. And some neat things to see along the way. You rode within a couple of miles of the local attraction the "Big Four" arched bridge. It's a railroad bridge originally built by, you guessed it, the Big Four Railroad Company. It rises high over the Little Walnut Creek and to be honest it's not THAT neat but it's not something you see everywhere. You were also fairly close to Fern Cliff Nature Preserve and of course you were surrounded by covered bridges in all directions.

You might want to try "Scoops" Ice Cream shop right off the square (On Indiana Street behind Starbucks and near West Walnut Street.) The food in the non chain restaurants in downtown Greencastle is pretty good too. We have several and not all are on the square but very close.

This concludes your message from the GC Chamber of Commerce - haha.
    radianrider and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  13. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, I forgot to tell you - a KTM has moved into my garage. My son has purchased a KTM 390 Duke. I love riding it but TBH I look like almost like a Shriner on a Honda 50 minibike ( you guys every see those in parades in the 70's/80s ? )
    Sam is actually an inch or two taller than I am (I think he's now 6'5") but he looks a lot better because he weighs 180 and I weigh ... more than that :)
    Plus, he's still a "kid" so the bike looks ok on a young person. He's already got his eyes on a 790.

https://alshamalshriners.org/about-the-shriners/our-units/motor-corps/
    radianrider and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    390 Duke is a great bike.

Joel: Not sure about your bounce but what have you done to the front suspension?
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Not a thing. All seems fine except for the slight bounce.
  16. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Not that I know anything... or that absence of knowledge has ever stopped me before... sounds like too much rebound. What are you finding about front suspension on the KLX forum? You cannot be the only person who has ever had this problem. Maybe a worn out spring... Does it have any adjustments at all?
  17. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I’m going to make a couple guesses. I am assuming it is not the tire or wheel since the weight made no difference.
    a) the front suspension could be worn out
    b) the kid who put the loud AF can on it worked on the suspension and put it back together wrong
    c) despite it being a tall bike, you are too heavy for a KLX250 suspension

In my life estimation, at least two of those three are true and possibly all three. :D

On a scale of 1-10, how bad is the bouncing?Do you want to tear it apart now or later? Remember the ADVRider motto: If it ain’t broke, mod it until it is. If it is broke, break something else while fixing what’s broke.

It’s possible you have the right combo of factors to induce bouncing, but I doubt it. Regardless, does the degree of bouncing change when you alter the air pressure in the tire?

Did you have to replace the head bearings? Was the PO a wheely king? Does it wobble as bad when you lose 50 lbs? :rofl

See - there’s serious mechanical engineering principles and fizzics at work here.

Seriously, I bet the PO took it apart and reassembled it incorrectly (assuming there are no adjustments available). Regardless, you are going to want new fork oil and springs anyway given its age. The only question is whether you live with it until winter and rebuild it during the non-riding season. Or you bite the bullet and do it now while it is blazing hot outside.
  18. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Let's not get into the COVID weight gain!

It isn't so bad that I want tear it down now. Still fun to ride as is...and the heat and humidity is brutal right now.

The guy I bought it from seems like the wheelie kind of guy. His friends ride sport bikes.

Local shop owner rode it and said he didn't think was the wheels. Suggested maybe a tight spot in the chain. Didn't find any.

Fissics scare me.:D
  19. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had an uneven weight distribution problem on my klr. Speed wobble at 70 mph that made handle bars slap gas tank. Not fun on I 275 around Cincinnati.
    JB2 likes this.
  20. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I had a front row seat to that tank-slapper. When I sold my KLR it still had a pleat pinched into the seat. Ah, but we lived to tell about it so there is that.
    Bhuff likes this.