Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Sounds exciting...but I'll pass if at all possible.
    JB2 likes this.
  2. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - Both KLR's have new homes. I never had the issue Brian had. Of course I lowered mine but the front fender has been blamed for high-speed wobble on these bikes. Then there was the buffeting coming off the semi we were passing. Regardless, I think it was a combination of ingredients that led to it. It was early into the trip so we rolled back our speed to about 65mph. 70mph on a loaded KLR seem to be the high water mark. I don't think he had an issue past that?
  3. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it is truly bouncing then some part of the suspension is not doing its job because not bouncing is its job. Likely a cheap fix if you are willing to do it yourself.

Joel: F-i-z-z-i-c-s. Let’s start by spelling it correctly.

I am staining my deck today... because that’s the kind of guy I am. :muutt
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
  5. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    He’s holding the second best tool known to man. (First best might be found in the White House or at one of his golf courses.). :imaposer Mira.RD said she knows the end is near because she saw a “Biden for President” sign in rural Indiana.

Done with deck for today. More “Fun With Deck” tomorrow.

Kind of warm out. Questioning how late I need to leave on Elvis for it to feel comfortable.
  6. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Saw a Trump sign and Biden sign in same yard. Bet that's a fun household.
    JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  7. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    The answer for the curious was 8pm. After “Have Fun Staining Your Deck” and going to the gym, I stopped by the HD dealer after lunch to pick up a demo seat - the Sundowner. Went out to the garage at 7:30pm to install it and it was still cooking outside. Gave it some time and just a few minutes made it several degrees cooler. I figured the deer were probably taking the evening off due to the excessive heat - didn’t see a single one. I ended up riding a fifty mile loop around our nearest big lake - the three at the top of this map that are actually one lake with some shallow marshlands - and exploring some nearby side roads. (I live at the blue dot at the bottom.)

506689C1-3C5A-4F7C-87CC-D6CC85CE3E82.png

Ride was relaxing. Bugs seem less of a problem than a few weeks ago. Seat felt good. Elvis was flawless.
    Bhuff, JB2 and radianrider like this.
  8. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Never know Brian, it might be the same person with bi-polar. :augie
    72 Yamaha RD350 and Bhuff like this.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    MondayDad and I met up to ride on Thursday. Indiana has been in a cycle of heat and humidity, so we decided to meet up at nine and get some saddle time before the heat became oppressive.

MondayDad decided to ride his Honda PC800. Pretty cool bike. We decided to head west and take a gander at a few more covered bridges. Great plan, I hear you say. I'd agree--but....

We headed west via backroads, as is our usual, and things were going swimmingly. We did have a bit of a surprise when the roads we were on turned to gravel. We managed to prove that the Scrambler can handle the gravel at least as well as a 1997 PC800--so that's good.

We hit tarmac again for a while, but then came to a moment of decision--turn left onto more gravel or head north on the tarmac. MondayDad had pulled over to talk it over and look at his directions. I had pulled in ahead of him. We decided to turn left after a brief discussion. I headed back to my bike and was getting ready to start up when MD appeared standing next to me with the news that his bike wouldn't start.

The battery was old and decided to crap out in the middle of farmland and deserted roads. Okay, then! Adventure on!

We managed to bump start the bike (luckily we were on tarmac, gravel would not have been good.) We decided to head on the bridge with the intention of keeping the bike running while taking a few pictures.

We hit a prime example of a small town dying on the vine. [​IMG]

This pile of tires was in a collapsed building smack in the middle of the block.[​IMG]

Unfortunately the PC800 died just as we pulled up. We tried to bump start it again, but it wasn't going to happen. MD waddled pushed the bike to a small hill just beyond the buildings you saw above, but we still couldn't get it going.

It turned out to be a stroke of luck that MD decided to try the hill. Just to the left was a side street with a business named "Ron's Wrecker Service."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I went back for my bike while MD got his bike over to the shop. He can waddle push the bike faster than I can push (I'm going to blame achilles tendonitis for slowing me down.)

MD asked the guy who came out if he was Ron. He said, "Well, what's left of him anyway." :lol3 He and his wife were watching two of the grandkids for the day.

Ron was very friendly and willing to help charge the battery in the PC800. He is a rider--or was until his '80 CX500 stopped running. He took us to his garage to show us his bike at one point.

We had a great chat with Ron while waiting for the charger to shove some electrons into the battery. He has a 1924 Model T fire truck in the garage. It belonged to the town and was part of the equipment used to protect Russellville back in the day. He was part of the volunteer fire department and stored the truck for the town for years. The town council voted to give it to him 2.5 years ago. Cool old truck. [​IMG] [​IMG]

MD and I decided to head home if the bike started since the odds of stalling next to another wrecker service seemed low. :lol3:lol3 The bike purred into life (it does seem to purr--very quiet bike) and we headed back toward Avon. We took IN-236 back and some of you will know that 236 is good place to ride. Traffic was really light and we made good time.

The heat wasn't too bad as long as you could keep rolling, but got a bit much when we were pushing the bike. :D

The riding was great; the pushing not so much. :lol3 The PC 800 ran well all the way home, but MD had noted that the choke cable seemed to have broken while he was trying to start it.

He said it is time to sell when there are two things to repair.:rofl

Another fun day messing with bikes and riding--and all's well that ends well!

Happy 4th!
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Guy across the street from me has a Model T. IIRC, there is no fuel pump so the gas is gravity fed. Seeing that gas tank right in front of the cockpit on the firetruck is hilarious. Better not hit anything because a fire is guaranteed - I think that is why they call it a firetruck. :D

The PC800 seems like a perfect touring bike for one person. Sufficient storage space, right size engine, good fuel economy. I wish I had been riding back when those were in their prime.

Those aren't just any car tires - them be racing tires! In fact... I bet them are Hoosier racing tires! :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

I've been starting my rides at 8pm and getting home just as darkness settles in at 9:30pm. With the heat I haven't seen a single deer out at night.
    flatlandjohnny, JB2 and radianrider like this.
  11. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    @72 Yamaha RD350 - McCreary’s but yes, racing tires. Funny it was one of the first things I spotted too. :thumb

Joel - I had similar experience riding with Dad back in 1993. We were on our way back to Franklin from Deal’s Gap when his took a crap. While riding nonetheless. It would not start no matter how hard we pushed. Dad and my son had to ride clear to Waynesville, NC on my Sportster with my son on the back to find a new one. I stayed behind with his bike in the blazing heat for two hours while they went on the mission. Odd how bad breaks become the center of the adventure and are remembered as “good times”. :nod
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    MD picked a great place to break down, and I did consider the possibility of sitting by the side of the road---but at least we had a plan!
  13. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    @MondayDad - There's a cool dude by the handle of Vermin who has spent many a mile on a Tupperware-Glide(as they are so affectionately called). His PC800 will cause harm to all who dare to stare at it. His stories are of the gut-wrenching laughter kind. I would encourage you and anyone reading this thread to give his threads a read. They are numerous but this one is where it started. It's a trip with his son(AKA Drifter).

https://advrider.com/f/threads/detroit-to-san-diego-zen-and-the-art-of-motorcycle-negligence.265019/

"My weapon of choice is my beloved Honda PC800. It was Hondas answer to a question no one in the 1990s was asking. It is a pretty dang good all round bike with a copious amount of luggage and as reliable as the monkey bars at school. The only draw back is that if you have any more testosterone than Pee Wee Herman you may be embarrassed to be seen on it. It has followed the path of my last few bikes general neglect and a flair for the practical use of cable ties, dry wall screws and duct tape has created a monster." - Vermin

Then the following year with his daughter(AKA Doll Baby)

https://advrider.com/f/threads/san-diego-to-anchorage-the-grapes-of-rat.362853/
    72 Yamaha RD350 and NobeyamaGP like this.
  14. flatlandjohnny

flatlandjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Where is Vermin? I used to love reading his stuff, then he disappeared.
    JB2 likes this.
  15. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    @flatlandjohnny - Dunno? :scratch I wanted to share the adventures of the cack with the Indiana guys who hang here especially since one of them owned a PC800. Looks like his last post was in 2019. What a wordsmith though!
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Well, back from a short vaca at Lake of the Ozarks. Boaters may be crazier than motorcyclists. I sat on the deck and watched those on the north side rush to the south side, while those on the south rushed to the north.

Couldn't help but think of a line from Wendell Berry's book Jayber Crow talking about boaters "neither looking to the right nor the left. They were having a relaxation emergency."

Of course, this is being written by a guy that tears around on a motorcycle with very few defined plans--so this might be a case of living in a glass house while casting stones.

Actually haven't ridden since I got home, but thought I undertake more work on the KLX front tire. Figured I'd spent 10 minutes pulling the tire and trying to rebalance it. So several hours later, I ordered the axle spacer I managed to lose either in the garage or at Hoy Vintage Cycles. No idea yet whether the effort to rebalance worked on the tire, but I did manage to rebalance my checkbook by ordering that danged spacer.
    72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  17. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Glad you had a vacation. Was beginning to wonder about you. I’ve never been to the Ozarks (although I did fly on Ozark Airlines once as a kid) but I’ve been watching Ozarks Backroads vlog enough to consider going there... sometime other than summer.

Nothing here but work work and deck work (which I hope to finish this weekend). Elvis has been finding new curvy and hilly roads on 130 mile rides NW on Sunday evenings. Found myself on a KLX road by surprise last Sunday and thought of you guys. I have it on video but no photos. Pavement just went away without warning but we soldiered through.

Been a pretty hot summer up here... assume likewise for you guys too.

Looking forward to seeing you post some pictures of the Scrambler out in its native habitat.