Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Heavy rain this morning and I didn't think I'd be riding, but it cleared up about noon. I decided to go back down to the Morgan-Monroe State Forest on the KLX and see if I could see the difference in my two bikes.

Let's just say there is a difference between a bike able to do rough roads and one designed to do rough roads. I rode those roads on the Scrambler twice lately. Once with MondayDad and his KTM 790 and once with a friend on his BMW GS 1200. The Scrambler got to the same places okay, but the KLX got there MUCH easier and I felt far more in control at higher speeds.

I was taking it easy on the KLX because I was alone today and didn't have great cell coverage. Having a "get-off" out there would not be fun. Even with that, I still felt like the I was under better control. On the other hand, over 100 miles on the KLX seat was not a delightful experience.

One of the reasons I went back down was to get a shot I missed when Bob and I were there. Both of us appreciated this sign.
    [​IMG]

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/54114346

So, the Scrambler lets me explore the unexpected dirt road while the KLX lets me go ride those roads on purpose. Pretty nice to have the option. I do think I'll work toward a Seat Concept kit for the KLX. Replaces the foam and seat cover and it gets good reviews. That should make the longer rides more doable.

It was fairly hot today, so I took the opportunity to stop for cold drink. In keeping with ADV tradition...[​IMG]

I'd really like to get the side stand cut down a bit. The bike stands too upright.
    JB2 likes this.
  2. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are those many wheel weights normal on a dual sport tire with a tubed spoke rim? I assume those are one ounce each. Seems like a lot. Asking for a friend. :D:jack:rofl
  3. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    It's always a good day when you retrace steps for one photo. :thumb Cool sign too.

Without searching on the interweb I would suspect there are some good seat options out there for a bike that popular. Your RR reaffirms there's good value in having a 250 in the stable.
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure that is a NO! But, the bike rides well and it is finally fun to ride for more than 20 minutes at a time.

I think the weights are 1/8th of an ounce each...so not quite as bad as it looks.
    And I'm sure your "friend" appreciates your concern.:lol3
  5. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Looks like the Seat Concept kit is the most cost effective way to go. You basically talked me into this bike...so, when you are ready!
    JB2 likes this.
  6. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Guilty as charged! :D I've been talking to Tom Wood Powersports in Anderson. They have two XT250's on order but have not received them. I have considered buying elsewhere with the price drops going on but holding out for TWP hoping they will give me a comparable deal. Soon though, very soon.
    radianrider likes this.
  7. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Co-worker recently purchased this bike. I thought you would like it. Looks like it has a real seat too. But it's missing a whole bunch of wheel weights on the front. :muutt

IMG_1560.jpeg
    ADK and JB2 like this.
  8. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Cool old bike! Be better with more wheel weights.:lol3
    JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Quiet out there today--at least this morning. Had to get a root canal redone this afternoon, so I took a ride at about 9:00. No big revelations--just a nice time on the KLX wandering around.

It truly was a wander. I have noticed a tendency to decide on a place to go lately and today took me back to my roots. I went that way until I wanted to change it, then I did that. Stress-free riding!

Pretty, empty roads are enjoyable.
    [​IMG]
    JB2 likes this.
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    What road are you on? Hendricks County?

Congrats on the root canal. :hack
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Root canal went well with very little pain!

I'm not real sure where I was--somewhere west of Danville and north of Rockville Road. Ended up hitting 236 east of North Salem before heading home.

Took the KLX over to a local shop to have a friend cut down the sidestand. Hope to get it back tomorrow and that the reduction in angle will make it easier for old guys to get off the bike. As is, it is an experience of deep relief when I get off without falling over.
    JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  12. Hijack

Hijack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings, I’m working my way backward through your posts and really enjoying them. Your rides and pictures bring back a lot of memories. I was born and raised on the South side of Indianapolis and completed my undergraduate work at IU in Bloomington. I did 33 years in the Navy then worked as a defense contractor. I live in Southern MARYLAND and get back to Indiana occasionally by motorcycle f possible. I started riding small dirt bikes but have been on large touring bikes for many years. I ordered a Yamaha Tenere 700 and plan on expanding my riding horizons. I may be back in Indiana in the next 2-3 months, maybe we can meet. Thanks again For your posts...
    72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  13. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Glad you are enjoying the slightly unhinged ramblings!

I've been reading some great reviews of the Tenere 700. Looks like a very capable bike.

Give me a shout when you head back this way! Possible we could meet up. Might even meet some of the other regulars on here. Great people to spend time with and a friendly group!
    JB2 likes this.
  14. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Took the KLX to a friend and had him cut the sidestand down by an inch. Early reviews are positive. Easier to get off the bike.
    [​IMG]
    72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  15. flatwoods

flatwoods Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the seat concepts on my ole klx huge difference, I live near Spencer and enjoy your wandering.
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Welcome, Flatwoods! Thanks for posting.

I'll probably go with Seat Concepts. Seems a lot of riders agree with your assessment. Maybe by next spring.

You live in some nice riding areas near Spencer. Been that way some, but should do more.
    JB2, flatwoods and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A bit of a tease for today's ride. Presently at Scoop's Ice Cream in Greencastle per jdfog's recommendation. Good!

Lots of gravel today with more to come!
    popscycle, 72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  18. radianrider

Oddometer:
    So this was my last truly free day of the summer to ride. Some faculty obligations tomorrow and the arrangements for Jon's wedding kick into high gear by week's end. The wedding is on Sunday.

I decided to take the KLX so I could see if the cut-down side stand was going to make it easier to get off the bike on a routine basis. Short answer--it absolutely does. It's a good modification.

In direct contravention of my usual strategy, I decided on a plan before leaving home. I decided to ride west as far as I could easily on back roads. Here's the track--
    https://ridewithgps.com/trips/54533874. Once it got complicated to find a road west I decided to head south.

It went pretty well, though the first part of ride was fairly straight. Saw some nice old barns. [​IMG]

The ride got a lot better the further west I went. The covered bridge was a bit of a surprise.[​IMG] The road beyond was gravel [​IMG]

I rode a lot of gravel today and at one point ended up on what a Michgander would call a two-track--basically a one-lane road. The Shinko 705s I put on this summer work really well on those roads and are really confidence-inspiring. The far west point was just over the causeway at Racoon Lake. I needed lunch and gas, so I hit 36 for a few miles. Used .9 gallons to get to that point, but I will admit that I wasn't exactly hammering on the throttle. Simon and Garfunkel said it best, "got to make the morning last" and I was doing my best to follow their advice.

JB2 always likes to take shots of old iron bridges. He wasn't along for this ride, so these are for him. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

After lunch, I decided to head south and ended up in Greencastle. I wasn't sure where I was until I passed Pingleton Sawmill. I remembered seeing that sign when Bob and I first headed west this summer. Ended up running the road we were left Greencastle on in reverse and wound up in Greencastle. Jdfog had recommended Scoop's Ice Cream, so I stopped for a chocolate shake. Hand-dipped--very old school. [​IMG]

Just a bit of nature to end the report. [​IMG]

I headed home after the shake. The stock seat on the KLX is not great, even with the Mad Dog seat cover on it.

The KLX is really growing on me. Both my bikes will do some of what the other will do, but each comes into its own at the point where the other begins to struggle. It is great to have the choice as to which to take on any given day.

Attached Files:

popscycle and JB2 like this.
  19. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I love the map the app is generating. I looked at it in the App Store but I’m already over my electronics limit having a GoPro to manage. Maybe I should change my user ID to EE Luddite. Bridge pics are great too. We had a 19ft boat in the late 70’s and frequently took it to Raccoon Lake. Saw my boat ramp story there one day.
  20. MondayDad

MondayDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm missing the riding! My time will free up after all the IndyCar tire casings are back in the trailers, some heading to the incinerator, some (unused) to the warehouse. A few days thereafter will be ferrying service dog trainees back and forth to Pendleton prisons.... but I can't wait to get back on a bike. The gravel pics made me jealous. :-)