Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Not sure how the dedicated space thing is going to work, given the apparently dismal state of motorcycle sales in the U.S. Guess we'll see.

A few shots from a ride with my friend Dave from Thursday. We met up about lunch time and rode out IN 236 to Shades State Park and came most of the way back on IN 234.

Stopped to see a fairly new mural in Roachdale and I took a few pictures.

[​IMG]

A little tough to read, but the work was created by Holly Cooper in 2017. Not sure who she is, but the mural celebrates the role of first responders in the town. Pretty cool.

[​IMG]

The woman risking life-and-limb at the top is an EMT--if I interpret the badge correctly.

[​IMG]

It was a great day for riding.

My nephew came over today to ride the SV. He thinks he'll buy it at the end of the month. I was looking around through the box of spare parts I had to go with the bike and found a Givi mounting plate that I had forgotten I had. Looks like I'll be able to mount my Givi boxes when I want to do so.
    JB2 likes this.
  2. radianrider

Oddometer:
    The Givi case installed.

I'll need to give it some time to decide how I feel about how it looks.

[​IMG]
  3. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    31D4115D-0342-483F-B933-F09A3F1700A4.jpeg I rode down from Minneapolis to visit my mom in Brownsburg. I came in the last 50 miles on US-136 from Covington. I had never ridden that stretch as a kid and was surprised at its enjoyable curves and elevation changes.

While out for lunch today I took this picture in Avon just a mile from my boyhood home. I used to ride my bicycle to the airport that was here to look at planes. I’m sure my RD350 made a few trips to this place too back in the day.
    radianrider and JB2 like this.
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    IN-136 is a pretty fun road. Nothing technical, but pretty country and nice riding.

How long are you around? Crazy schedule this week, but coffee is not out of the question.
  5. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I need to leave Friday morning but I don’t have anything on the agenda tomorrow. Pick a time and place that’s convenient for you if you want to try to connect.
  6. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Long day tomorrow and I won't be home until after 7:00. Have to be in Franklin by 9:00, so morning is probably out. Could likely ride up to Brownsburg about 7:30, if you aren't tied up with family the night before you leave.

Let me know if that works--Starbucks on 267 at 74 maybe?
  7. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    For now that will work. Don’t expect that to change but if it does I’ll let you know.

Do I have to ride an R1200GS to this Starbucks or will they serve a VStrom? We have Caribou Coffee up north for non-GSers. ;)
  8. radianrider

Oddometer:
    That's a great question. Guess we'll just have to chance it :lol3

I'll PM my cell so you can text if things change.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Fun conversation with RD350 at Starbucks. They let us sit outside despite the total lack of GS's in the parking lot.

Best story-the time he Armor-Alled the seat on his RD350 when he was a kid and almost slid off the back. :lol3:lol3

Safe travels home!
    JB2 likes this.
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Great times!

The coldest ride: One late October Saturday night in 1980 I rode my RD the three miles from my house to a friend’s on 267 just north of 36. We were then picked up by another friend from Danville in a car and went out cruising. Let’s say the high temp was 40F when I rode those three miles in a full rain suit and gauntlet snowmobile gloves to keep the cold out before the sun set. Three miles isn’t very far. Anyone can handle that.

Later that night around midnight while out cruising we came up with the great idea of taking my friend’s car onto the cinder running track behind the HS to do a lap. At that time there were two football fields behind Avon HS - one fenced and well maintained - the other was the unfenced practice field. Both had cinder tracks around them for Track and Field.

Avon had no law enforcement back then but a county deputy would occasionally patrol around the few businesses and schools. There were very few street lamps back then - just a single lamp here or there. So my buddy turned off his headlights and drove into the school parking lot to access the track around the practice field. It was pitch black dark. We located the entrance onto the running track, he pulled onto it and then gunned it as if he was Richard Petty at Daytona.

We made it a hundred yards down that 440 yard track before a tremendous bang indicated we had hit something big. In the darkness we couldn’t see a thing.

You know that award winning, nationally recognized Black & Gold marching band Avon has now? Back then they weren’t all that. But the seeds were there and they were working toward getting that good. To that end they were using the practice field during the day and had large metal bleachers set up on the cinder track for sitting down and resting between routines on the field. We had ran the car into the end of the bleachers. The car had four headlights, two high beam and two low beam - and all four were busted out by the bleachers.

Now it’s after midnight, we are on school property in a car with no headlights, with a pile of headlight glass some place it shouldn’t be, and needing a way for my friend to get his car home to Danville at nearly 1am with no headlights on old 36 which was narrow and in pitch blackness.

At this point the temperature is slightly above freezing. The plan: Walk to where the RD was parked, retrieve it and use it to lead the car the 8 or so miles to Danville. So that’s what we did. And it was so cold all the way there and all the way back. I could only go as fast as the gloves could hold some semblance of insulation. Gloves back then were crap compared to the Thinsulate we have now. It was the longest trip I ever took to and from Danville. We might have hit 30mph on the RD. Might not. It was so cold.
    JB2 and radianrider like this.
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of a ride gone wrong while I was in high school. We'd had an ice storm in northern MI and the snow pack was strong enough to hold the bike on top, so a friend an I decided to get our bikes out and go for a run in the Manistee National Forest (my house sat on the edge of the forest.)

We took off under bright, sunny skies (foreshadowing.) Rode for about an hour and I ran out of gas. He didn't know where we were, so I took his bike back to the house and picked up a tow rope (no gas at home either.)

We tied my bike to his and we started back. Snow storm rolled in and by the time we got home I couldn't see him at the other end of the 20' rope. He still had another five miles to get home!

:lol3:lol3:lol3
    72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  12. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    120BAEB1-8A68-4407-BF92-C391902F7525.jpeg FC59C87E-A5BF-4BAA-A9A0-B24F40946D05.jpeg I left Brownsburg yesterday morning at 7:30am local time expecting to ride a bit over halfway (325 miles - anywhere just north of Iowa City) and get a room for the night.

Given enough time, nobody would ride an interstate, but I’ve done this trip dozens upon dozens of times in a car and been every way and seen most sites. I tend not to go the Rockford route because of traffic so I sure wasn’t going to do that on the bike.

I got onto I-74 and there were many times where the nearest car front or back was a mile away. That Strom engine just purred along perfectly.

It started to rain just past Danville IL and the temperature was 62F. And then it started to pour down hard. I power napped on top a picnic bench at a rest stop. My rain gear needs some work and the Schuberth C3 Pro doesn’t vent well enough behind a windshield.

Eventually it cleared up and I made it to the John Deere Pavilion in Moline by 2pm. And for whatever reason this is where stupidity kicked in sometime after buying a JD polo shirt in the gift shop.

I’ve never seriously considered doing a Saddle Sore 1000 though the easiest route from my house would be 500 miles out on I-94 west which would be Dickinson ND and back. This ride would be right around 700 miles - “why not try making it home in one ride - it’s early enough”.

It was uneventful until the radar map showed a serious storm cell moving across my path in Mason City. As I crossed the last overpass before joining I-35 I thought I should stop and check on its progress even though I was in visual range and it looked ok. It wasn’t. I got off at the first exit on I-35 and so did everybody else. Hail had started lashing down on us. I took refuge underneath a gas station awning between two cars at the pumps on either side of me. The wind was blowing so hard the rain and hail was making it completely to the other side of the awning, it giving virtually no protection. Fortunately it was 68F and comfortable - not cold. Scores of cars had pulled off I-35 and were stopped wherever there was space. Fifteen minutes later it was over and the sun peeked through the clouds.

I got home 15.5 hours after I started despite all the stops and rain/hail delays. Lessons were learned about gear, bike, and myself to apply to future endeavors, although I still don’t see a SS1000 in my future.
    JB2 likes this.
  13. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an eventful ride!

Not sure I'll ever do a SS100--in fact, pretty sure I won't.

Happy to see you made it home safely after a crazy weather day. Drop a line when you head back this way.
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    No plans for the rest of this year but will do next year.

Before my dad passed away we did the Wander Indiana thing at least one day on every trip I made. Of course, it was in a car as I don't think he ever got on a motorcycle his entire life. My family settled in Poland, IN in 1830. You'll find Poland on SR42 just SW of Cloverdale. Good curvy road it is before straightening out and heading into Terre Haute. That large reservoir near Poland carries my surname and my second oldest Hoosier ancestors are buried in the cemetery at Poland chapel (a historic site now) with large granite markers in the first few rows. Oldest ancestors are buried in a family cemetery west of the chapel that is now on private land. I never failed to find interesting things in that area when I was exploring. There is a cemetery around there with the plots of Jimmy Hoffa’s parents. (Edited to change Al Capone to Jimmy Hoffa - mental lapse)

My family was always big on going to the covered bridge festivals in Bridgeton and Mansfield. There's some great roads out there. As I look at my atlas of Indiana to refresh my memory, that road from Greencastle to Rosedale through Bridgeton looks like something I'd target to ride.

Great to meet you. Hope to be able to ride the backroads of western Indiana with you someday.

Mike
    JB2 likes this.
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Wrote about a ride out and around Poland in my now defunct "Wandering in Indiana" thread before Photobucket took my photos hostage. JDFog and Falconpunch1 rode out there with on that trip.

That is a pretty area and I do intend to get back out there. Sounds like there a some things I missed on my last ride
    JB2 likes this.
  16. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    See correction on previous post.

Yea, Photobucket was a disaster for many sites.

BTW: There was a ski hill down in Nashville IN back in the 70’s. Had to have been the southern most ski hill in the state. You can imagine how long the season was!
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I actually skied there a couple of times in the late '80's. Taught my wife to ski there. One of the three days it was open that season.:lol3

I was not aware that Hoffman had an Indiana connection. Interesting.

That road you mentioned featured in a ride JB2 and Bhuff took with me a couple of years ago. There was a rib joint near Rosedale that none of us had ever heard of, but we took a shot.

They both ordered the ribs, I went with a hamburger. They had great fun jerking my chain for ordering a burger in a place they said rivaled some of the best ribs they had ever had.

I went back on my own a year later to correct my error only to discover that the place had burned to the ground around Christmas.

No ribs for me.
    72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  18. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Incoming fan-boy alert!

How am I feeling about the Scrambler?

I bought my first ever motorcycle-branded clothing. That ought to give you an idea. :lol3
    [​IMG]

So, no dew rag, no chaps, but, yes, branded clothing. I'm slightly ashamed of my myself, but I'll get over it.

Only had one class today and it was over by noon. No office hours and no commitments, so I headed home to grab the bike. It has been raining or extremely hot for most of the week and with school starting I haven't had time to get the bike out.

Only out for about 2.5 hours, but I NEEDED that ride.

Only took a few shots, because...riding. Not that this area was particularly exciting, but I wouldn't have enjoyed getting here on the SV. Too nervous on gravel. The bike and me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the way back I stopped at the gas station in North Salem for a bottle of water. I mentioned the line of "old guys" fixing the world's problems back in post #65.

Thought you might be interested in the spot where the U.N. meets :lol3
    [​IMG]

My nephew is supposed to stop by and get the SV tonight. He said he's been like a kid waiting for Christmas waiting to get the bike.

Lots of fond memories on that bike, but looking forward to a making a lot more on the Scrambler.

Almost forgot! Stopped and stuffed $2.00 in a coffee can at a roadside stand. Brought home 4 big ol' tomatoes for supper. Threw them in the top and rode on. Sweet!
    popscycle, 72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  19. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - Great to see you out again. Short ride on the SCR last night reminded me of why I got rid of the KLR. It was a little under powered and more dirt than I see in my near future. Gravel back-roads rock and I think you have the perfect tool for the job. Maybe we could get Brian to buy the Ducati(he has all the money:nod) and we could run a long term comparo?

Keep the SV memories and stay focused on the ride ahead. You just doubled your travel and exploration options. Keep meaning to say this... welcome to the dirt! :thumb
  20. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Brian on the Desert Sled would make an interesting comparison if we could be out for some riding.

Been a long time since I rode gravel/dirt, but I really disliked turning around when gravel happened. I rode some on the SV, but neither of us liked it much. Still wasn't letting it all hang out on the Scrambler, but I was moving quite a bit quicker than the day we hit gravel roads out west of here.
    JB2 likes this.