1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    This report should be labelled--what I did while I should have been grading. Twice. Two days in a row.

Finally got Imgur to take my photo uploads, but Relive quit working. I'll mess with that later.

MondayDad stopped by the other night to show me the new rubber on his KTM. He is getting ready for a long stretch of riding out west. I'm looking forward to his report-assuming he writes one.

It has been a crazy week-campus shut down due to a surge in Covid cases and I really needed the distraction. His visit made me more determined to get my bike out and these pics were the result.

I'm slowly collecting the gear I need to ride dirt. Made use of the big discounts at this time of year and picked up a dirt bike helmet at close out prices. I took the beak off since I was only riding the roads today and the wind was up. Figured I wouldn't miss getting my head blown around on road.

Probably won't need it until one or more of you get a dual sport, get in front of me on dirt and crack the throttle. It would be okay with me if I were to need it.
    Hint, hint.

Used my ski googles, but will need a slightly smaller set. These were just a little big. Still, the helmets fits well and is comfortable

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seemed to be in an old wooden post frame of mind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pictures were taken over two days and two rides. Thursday's ride ended up being the longer and better of the two. I had decided to ride west to McCloud Nature Park. (The wooden fence is from that park.)

At one point I found myself bombing along and realized I had fallen in to the trap of feeling an urgency to get to my destination and missing what I was riding through in the moment. I slowed down and enjoyed the sensation of riding the KLX and seeing what was around me. ( Doesn't hurt when WOT is good for 67 mph and the bike is really happiest between 50 and 60.)

Great decision. The ride is the thing. The destination is secondary.
    I got home and finished grading the exams.
    JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  2. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yesterday barely got to 62F but it was warm enough for Mrs.RD and I to go on a 134 mile Fall Color ride. Not long after we got home I received a call from a former co-worker in AZ I haven't seen in four years. I've had a greeting card in my laptop bag to send him for several months. Good thing I hadn't sent it because he has a new address. Today was warmer so I geared up to drop the greeting card off at the post office a mile away and returned home sixty-some-odd miles later. It is what appears to be our last warm day of the season.

The GoPro went along both days and we'll see what I captured sometime this winter. I also downloaded Relive today to see if I liked the app. I assume the free version is limited to five pictures because it has duplicates dropped the others. Here's the video file and the best pictures. Obviously, you won't find this anywhere in Indiana... but it was recorded by a born and raised Hoosier. Not sure I'll stick with the app but maybe I'll try importing the GPX file and doing something with it.

https://www.relive.cc/view/v1vjAMdELJq

The first picture was just to test the app. Looks like I have a duplicate in there.
    The second picture is a nearby lake at a regional park. The leaves have fallen so it is difficult to get a good Fall Color picture.
    The last picture in the video is our nearby shuttered Indian dealer than burned a year ago.

This picture made it into the app.
    M1.jpg

This picture didn't get into the app. It's St.John the Baptist Catholic Church in Rogers, MN.
    M2.jpg

This picture was taken from the boat ramp into the Crow River near my house.
    M3.jpg
    JB2 likes this.
  3. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Nice! I checked out the video on FB.

Looked like a nice day to ride.
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Took the opportunity to ride to work on Tuesday. Only took one pic. This is just to the right of my office.
    [​IMG]
    OnTheWay, JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  5. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice updates! I am thinking we need to ID /test and decide on some kind of video teleconferencing app so we can get together for an hour or so every week (month?) through the winter with everyone and chat.

More importantly, we need it for "project meetings" to determine if we want to move ahead with that Rally planning. If so, I think it would be very handy.

JD
    JB2 likes this.
  6. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Kim has Facetime/Zoom and something else already on her i-Pad. I haven't set anything up on the new i-Mac yet. You guys figure out what system and I'm sure we can follow in your footsteps. OR... we could meet somewhere for breakfast and just talk in person? I'm game for just about anything.
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    An electronic meetup might be interesting--but I could get on board a face-to-face (mask-to-mask?) meeting as well!

I had the day off today and the forecast was good, so I hit the road by 10 this morning. I got in touch with Denis (you saw him earlier with the BMW GS) to see if he wanted to ride, but he felt it a better idea to celebrate his 29th anniversary with his wife. Kinda' hard to argue with that decision.

MondayDad is on a grand adventure out west with his camper and a trailer hauling his KTM 790 to meet up with other 790 fans. Doubted he'd want to head back just yet. Mike has parked Elvis in Minnesota and Jim and Brian seem committed to keeping bread on the table, so I wandered off on my own.

I actually had a destination in mind this time (and I actually got there--a bit unusual this summer). I have wanted to see the Tulip Trestle Bridge in person since I first saw it on ADV. I had planned to take my DSLR, but realized I forgot it when I was about 5 miles out. My cell phone has hit the point in its life where the battery doesn't last nearly as long as might be considered optimal. I did get a few pictures, but Imgur is throwing a fit and uploading is not really happening. I'll write this and add pics later--assuming I can get them uploaded.

The ride was fantastic and I felt really blessed to be out there in the wind today. I got the chance to really try out a few recent purchases and I was really pleased with how well they worked. A Youtuber named Everide--worth checking out if you are into the dual-sport thing--had recommended some gloves from Amazon (Decade). He has been using them for several years and has had good luck with them. I decided that at $15 they were worth a shot. I have to agree with him. Really good armored gloves for the money. They were very comfortable and seem to be a good purchase. [​IMG]

I also purchased a dark smoke shield after noticing that my clear shield was showing cracks around the pin shield posts. I was able to ride without needing to switch between my regular glasses and my sunglasses. I rarely ride at night and purchased a clear shield for those times when the dark smoke shield is too dark, but it was really nice addition. My new Kore boots were really comfortable and the stiffer sole makes it easier to stand on the pegs. [​IMG]

I rode down under the trestle and took the gravel road to its conclusion (the road to the trestle is paved if you come in from the Tulip side). The gravel road was in good shape with little dust since we had some rain last night. The Scrambler was just fun to ride on this stuff. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the way back past the little turn-off area near the trestle, I noticed another rider parking his bike. It was an older BMW airhead and I stopped to chat with the rider. Mark restored the bike last winter and it is beautiful. It's a 1982 BMW R65. I have some nice pictures of it and I'll post them as soon as Imgur works. The bike has a nice little fairing on it with clubman-style bars. He said this model got raced a lot and it is easy to see why. He moved to the Bloomington area two years ago and doesn't know any other riders in the area. [​IMG]

I invited him to check out this thread and hope he'll jump in. We chatted 15-20 minutes and he'd fit in with you whack-jobs very nicely. I showed him the Relive app (which I didn't use this time due to the battery issues) and he said, "You ride like I do." No plan, just go.

I had stopped in Spencer for lunch and hit the same coffee shop I mentioned a couple of years ago in this thread. Coffee was really good as was the strawberry-rhubarb muffin I had for dessert. I took 67 to 231 to get to Spencer and then 231 to 157 to get to the trestle. I usually avoid main secondary roads, but I was in the mood to ramp it up a bit today. 231 has some pretty views and has mostly big sweeping turns. I took it back to Spencer, stopped for fuel, and a water break, then took it back up toward Greencastle. It can be pretty busy with a lot of truck traffic, but it wasn't bad today. I bailed out on 231 just south of Cloverdale and took IN-142 east toward Mooresville. Waaaay less traffic and the ride home was full of colorful vistas and empty farmland.

I was really a bit melancholy on my last long ride, but today was just about the joy of riding in the fall. If this is to be the last long ride, it was a good one.

JB2 likes these old iron bridges and I took this one with an unidentified rider coming across the creek. This is IN-142 over Mills Creek, if my memory serves. [​IMG]
    popscycle and JB2 like this.
  8. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    You painted some pretty good pictures with words there. :*sip* Nice read professor!
  9. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the pictures.

It maxed out at 34F today but snowed two hours this morning. We also had several hours of everything tinted yellow - I have no idea what that was about. Sky was tinted yellow. Snow on the ground was tinted yellow. It was weird.

My 2013 Chevy Volt was hit by a hail storm (golf ball size) at 3am on August 8th (because since when has it ever hailed in August and Elvis was in its garage stall) so I finally dropped it off at the body shop today to have the 27, plus however many more impacts they find, repaired. Driving the Volt to me is sort of like driving the Batmobile. So not only do I not have Elvis, I don't have the Batmobile either. I have a 2018 Chevy Sonic LT (known as la' Canada because it was sold new to the Government of Quebec and I took delivery of it with a Tim Horton's sugar packet left underneath a floor mat). I don't drive la' Canada more than once a month but every time it reminds me what a fun car it is to drive. My grad student son drives it once a week during these unprecedented Covid times so at the current pace it will get to 100,000 miles on the way to my funeral. So tomorrow is a la' Canada day!

The snow we got on Tuesday was very nearly slush falling out of the sky - five inches worth at my house. My John Deere HDAP tires didn't like that at all. I'm too old for getting stuck so I stopped by the dealer to order 100 lbs of cast iron wheel weights. Yea. I get to install those on Saturday. And if they show marginal traction improvement during Sunday's forecasted snow I'll buy another 100 lbs next week and repeat the job two weekends in a row. And if 200 lbs doesn't do the trick there's going to be a 4WD garden tractor in my garage next winter.

Please post pictures of sunshine and warmth.
    JB2 likes this.
  10. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Still no luck with the pics. Even tried Flickr, but no luck.

Supposed to be all the way down to 74 tomorrow. (Sorry, not very kind to mention that.):lol3
  11. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    It’s going to be +8F on Tuesday morning. I did not leave any digits out of that number.
    JB2 likes this.
  12. old_airhead

old_airhead n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Joel (and everyone else). It was nice meeting you yesterday at Tulip Trestle. What a great day for a ride, and what a great location for a break. We probably should have found out what the ladies were having for lunch before declining the invite. After I left I went west through Tulip - although I didn't even know I rode though it. Rode to Bloomfield for gas and coffee and then south on some little 2 lanes.

As far as "You ride like I do" I remember a ride I took a couple of years ago on the old bike right after we moved down here. I was riding south of Lake Monroe in the Hoosier National forest. Got lost and pulled into a church parking lot to try to get a location on my old cell phone, which had crappy reception everywhere. I thought I had a route figured out and took off. A half hour later I passed the same church! Now I was nervously watching the odometer, which was displaying a number higher than I was comfortable with. I finally decided to follow the sun, along with looking for satellite dishes, and eventually popped out into Bedford - don't have a clue how I got there. That was a great ride. (Got a new phone shortly afterwards).

Anyway, I wanted to thank you again for your assistance - but we won't get into that for now... Maybe we'll run into each other some time when you're out with your buds.

Ride safe!

Mark
    72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  13. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    "whack-jobs"? :lol3

I consider that a compliment Joel. :thumb

"Maybe we'll run into each other some time when you're out with your buds."

@old_airhead , Or better yet just hook up with us on one of our day jaunts through your back yard. We tend to head that direction a lot. It would be nice to have a vintage Beemer in the mix. Welcome to the Old Codgers, er, uh Adventure Rider!
  14. radianrider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]JB2- I calls it like I see it!

Mark- it was great meeting you and I agree with Jim...just join in next time we head your direction! Everybody is happy to ride their own ride and there is no pressure to hot shoe it. (I'm usually the slowest and only catch grief when I order sushi in a bbq joint.)

Not many of us get to ride together often...but it is always fun when we do.

Still trying to find a photo share site so I can post up your beautiful little airhead.
    JB2 likes this.
  15. old_airhead

old_airhead n00b

Oddometer:
    It would be great to meet up with you guys. I'm well past the hot shoe part, by many years. Don't know how I'd know when you all are out, though.

I think I'm off to visit some Indy motorcycle shops tomorrow morning. I'm looking for a sub-500cc ADV bike, whatever that is. Thinking of a Himalaya, Versys-X 300, or G 310 GS. I've always liked small bikes.
    JB2 likes this.
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great way to spend the day!
    JB2 likes this.
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Jim and I were riding up near Battleground, IN and I attempted to use my phone GPS to find gas. It didn't work out well. This after Jim got us the majority of the way using a paper map in a tank bag. Suffice it to say I got a new phone shortly after. Turns out the GPS antenna had failed.

On the other hand...it was a good day to ride.
    JB2 likes this.
  18. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Images now added to post #1007!
    JB2 likes this.
  19. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Beautiful R65!

Good pics, Joel.
    JB2 likes this.
  20. old_airhead

old_airhead n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures, Joel. The R65LS actually looks better without the old guy in his Power Ranger costume standing behind it. It's not a powerhouse, but it loves the twisties I find around here.

Rode up to Indianapolis yesterday to check out Royal Enfields. I took 37 north, not my favorite road, and couldn't figure out what was going on. It seemed like everyone was out driving on Saturday. Only saw 2 other bikes on the way. The dealer was a bit of a disappointment. The only bikes on the floor were about 8 of the 650 twins - no singles at all. I was told that the Himalayas are a hot sales item right now and there is a waiting list. I'd probably prefer something used, though.

You all ride safe.
    radianrider and JB2 like this.