Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Looks like a great ride.

You are right...it's going to be a long winter.
  2. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you still planning on your annual ski trip to Michigan or is that on hiatus?

I won't be going skiing in Colorado this winter but I may drive over to Granite Mountain in Wausau once or twice. It's 3.5 hours away and has 700 ft of vertical with high speed lifts. I've become a ski snob and effectively refuse to get on anything but an express lift especially when the places with slow lifts are charging $50/day.
  3. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Still too early to tell what we are going to do. Depends a lot on where Covid goes.
  4. 306dad

306dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took the day off work for a 4 pm doctor appointment. My GS is warming up
  5. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Good plan! Watching the weather now...looks like quite a bit of rain over the next couple of hours---but Saturday is 56 and sunny. I may my delayed KLX ride in yet!

Got my side stand back from JB2. He increased the size of the foot and got the length exactly where I needed it. So easy to stop, drop the side stand, get up on the pegs and get off the bike. SOOOOOO much better!

I think I was just stupid and the flat was my fault. I think the tire was low and the tire slipped on the rim and pulled the valve stem off the tube. I was not aware that the lock nut on the valve stem was not supposed to be tight on the rim to allow some motion.

Live and learn.
    306dad and JB2 like this.
  6. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Just for you Joel - Happy Thanksgiving!

T1.jpg

T5.jpg

T2.jpg

This is a used Rocket3. It had less than 10,000 miles on it and IIRC the asking price was $9999. I didn't take a picture of the brand new Rocket3 on the sales floor - I didn't find it particularly attractive.
    T3.jpg
    They had one NOS Explorer1200 but not a single Tiger.

And in case anyone ever thought a Road King was a fattie, here's a picture of a GSA from a pillion's perspective.

T4.jpg

The new BMW 1800cc cruiser is possibly the most ridiculous motorcycle I've ever seen. Did not take a picture because photography does not do justice to how ludicrously large the cylinder jugs really are.

I sat on a Can-Am Spyder, a new model GoldWing, a 2012 GoldWing, a used R1200RT (because it had a Russell Daylong Seat) and a R1250R. I was not worthy enough to sit on a Triumph. I did not want a board up my ass so I refrained from sitting on the CRF250R. I towered over a Honda Monkey. The new GoldWing really impressed me with its light feel but the fuel tank was empty. I was hoping to see the new Trail 125 but they are not at dealers yet.

I used to go to this dealer and ooh and ahh over all the bikes but Elvis must be the real deal because none of these bikes interest me. I could see myself on a new GoldWing if my wife ever stopped riding, but Elvis was $10k cheaper than the new GoldWing.

Going to the Triumph/Ducati/Honda/Yamaha/Can-Am/KTM/BMW dealer was a pleasant outing for the day. I had gone to the grocery store in the morning and just needed to get out of the house for awhile.
    CaliKarl, JB2 and old_airhead like this.
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Mike! Some nice bikes to look at and dream a bit on a somewhat dreary day.

I know what you mean about other bikes not having the same impact. I love to look, but I'm pretty sure I have the right bikes for the riding I do.

Having the same reaction to going to the guitar stores. I had been wanting a semi-hollow body guitar for years. Finally got one and am thinking about selling it. The stratocaster parts guitar I've had for years just seems like the right instrument and I can't seem to warm up to the Ibanez AS80. [​IMG]

It is a beautiful guitar, but I may sell it to fund a soft rack for the KLX.
    JB2 likes this.
  8. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention that I've been listening to Long Distance Riders podcast - it's the podcast for IBA rally level participants. I have figured out that I have no interest in timed ride scavenger hunts, but this podcast is usually entertaining and I seem to fall asleep to it pretty easy at night (no reflection on the podcast). There are two guys over the past few years who defy convention - one who rides an HD Sportster 1200 Custom and another fellow who rides a Ninja 250. Since you guys love 250cc motorcycles so much, you might give this episode a listen. Of the few episodes I have listened to so far - this one is by far the most entertaining.

https://www.longridersradio.com/podcast/85-ld-ninja-kurt-worden
    jdfog2 likes this.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I'll give it a listen.
  10. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike pics Mike.
    And I like that podcast as well

I'm non LD rider for sure but enjoy following the happenings in the community.
    Have a good friend that's been in the last 2 or 3 of the Iron Butt Rally events. He's not yet finished one... Bike issues... What he gets for not riding a VStrom

As my joints age and body aches, 250/300/400 cc bikes have some newfound merit with me as a fun 2nd bike.

Son had a Duke 390 over the summer and sold it in early Sept.

I probably rode it more than he did. It was "fun" and I considered buying it but that brand/model has too much drama and there was no way I could make it as comfy (I looked almost like a Shriner on a Honda Mini Trail aka "Monkey Bike" on it) as other more dependable makes and models.

Dual Sports OTOH... My kinda party!

Hope all are well.

Jay
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  11. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Speaking of body aches. I am the very happy owner of a brand new knee (total knee replacement.)
    Custom work done by Ortho Indy very early today. Outpatient job. Ride in, ride out, same day service kinda deal. Just like some custom motorcycle seat makers :)
  12. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RD
    I didn't quote your entire post...
    I liked this part though...

"And in case anyone ever thought a Road King was a fattie"

I have not seen a lot of Road Kings but I prefer to categorize the ones I have seen as "Voluptuous."

I have no idea why but they've been my favorite motorcyle that I likely won't ever own ever since I saw my neighbors 100th Anniversary model back in the mid 2000s.

Kawisaki Vaqueros and Vulcan 2000's interest me as well, but a Road King catches my eye every time.
  13. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    If it comes to just getting around, I think 300-400cc is sufficient. (I really admire the Ninja400 in that class.) They can even do a short stretch at high speed on the interstate. But you don’t see many riders pounding out 200 mile or more days on that displacement (unless they are nutter scooter riders) - especially at our ages. That’s what makes that guy so cool - he’s done the IBR 2x on a Ninja 250 and he did the 2019 on a Versys 300. And he has excellent rationale for why.

There’s usually one or two guys riding VStroms in the IBR but ST1100/1300’s and FJR’s are far more plentiful.

I was skeptical that a heavy bike could ever be a good thing. But it is true - a heavier bike lends toward comfort and the right heavy bike is an asset in crosswinds.

I’ve concluded I’m at the opposite end of the spectrum from an IBA rider. I want to get somewhere each day and stop to enjoy where I am. As I look back on my ride from this year I’m kicking myself for not spending more time off the bike. I’ve come to the conclusion that as much as I enjoy getting somewhere on Elvis, I enjoying being there about the same amount.

One of the LD guys said the big 2 liter Triumph Rocket was a comfortable distance bike but too uneconomical (fuel & tires) for rallying.

JD: Glad you got a new knee. Hope you are back to normal mobility soon. I couldn’t own that brand either but that 390 must be a hoot.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  14. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Best wishes for an easy recovery, JD!

IBA never seemed like something I'd get into. I dislike the urgency of needing to be somewhere. Figure I'll get there when I get there and I'll enjoy the ride along the way.

Pretty much the reason I don't like commuting to work as well.

I think I'm going to try to true the front wheel on the KLX. Probably should have been my first thought when I bought the bike. Maybe I can take some of the wheel weights off.
  15. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I have a suggestion - put wheel weights on both sides of the rim (L and R) all the way around the circumference of the rim. The sum total of all those weights will outweigh what little imbalance you presently have. Of course, the KLX will be robbed of what little horsepower it has to get going from a stop... but once you're moving you'll have a lot more inertia and nothing will stop you... not even the brakes!

:imaposer
    jdfog2 likes this.
  16. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks and good luck with that wheel Joel!
  17. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotta admit, that's funny
  18. radianrider

Oddometer:
    People in Minnesota have too much time on their hands. :lol3
  19. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer: