Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Okay Professor. I am waiting... :lurk
  2. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    @JB2: " Every time I would fall asleep I'd awaken to the vivid image of him covered in a plastic sheet lying on the highway. As I sat in the chair outside the room I decided then my clean-freak days were over."

Trust me - I get it. My Clean Freak comes from my mother - a dirt poor coal miner's daughter who grew up in a home framed with mining timbers (damned those doorways were short!) in western Kentucky. She had nothing growing up and has taken care of everything she's had the good fortune to own since moving out of poverty. By contrast, my father was a relaxed man. He'd wash dishes and clean up the kitchen after cooking dinner when mom was at work, but otherwise I never saw him clean anything because he had an innate sense that if you don't go out of your way to make things dirty - most things will stay pretty clean on their own. [I might have seen him clean his boat once or twice in all the years he owned it.]

Every night on the way to Alaska and back, when the weather was nice, I'd unpack the bike into the hotel room and then go out and clean the windshield and do a general lite clean-up. Meanwhile, Rick did nothing to his AT. On the way back, the afternoon we arrived in Haines Junction he asked me, "Why do you bother cleaning it when it is just going to get dirty tomorrow?" I answered, "Because I believe there are only two places in life when one should be still - in church and at your own funeral." Nowadays it's not about having a clean bike or car, although I HATE a dirty windshield, it's about being active and doing something. It's not for the outcome, it's for the act itself - for the discipline of doing something constructive almost every waking second.

I didn't develop this discipline until my dad died. It was only then that it hit me: "Your day is coming." You will recall that last year I walked 1,000 miles. My goals this year are more modest:
    a) Floss every single day, at least once, and preferably twice
    b) Do a two o'clock stretch five days a week (standing on one leg, lift the other leg up to the 2 o'clock position, and hold it there for two minutes; now do the other leg; leaning on something is permitted)
    c) Go to the gym six days a week (3 days weightlifting, 3 days walking 2 miles each day)

My professional career for the last six years has required that same level of discipline applied to every thing I think/do/say in every form and every situation. Some people call it "political correctness" - I call it maturity. I get paid a respectful sum of money to be this way. And, admittedly, it fits me.

Danny has every right to be the way that he is and to explore the limits of his audience through his personality and exploits. I don't begrudge him one bit. I'm just not entertained by him.

The nature of my videos is probably a reasonably accurate reflection of who I am. While Danny wants you to look on in amazement at what he's doing with his Harley in an unconventional situation, I want my viewers to pay attention to the landscape, the sky, the road, and the few things I point out with effects or text. If you notice anything at all about the ride, I want you to focus on the curves: Did the rider pick the right line, did he hold the line, did he alter lane position appropriately when he should have. What speed did he enter the hairpin. When did he upshift/downshift. What would you do as a rider on your own bike in that very same curve. When I watch my own videos - I study what I did right and what I did wrong at key moments (other times I watch the landscape go by). Occasionally I even point out the egregious errors to the viewer. That's why I say, "It's not about me, it's not about Elvis, and it aint about you." It's about the environment - the landscape, the sky, the road, and a few other trinkets along the way. Everything else is meaningless in comparison. Most motovlogs are personality exposes (the French word I don't know how to type that is pronounced "expo-zay") like Danny. Others are endless bike modifications (2Indians, Travelling Tall). Yet others are camera jockeys. (2LaneLife) Some are travel hounds. (2WheelsBigLife) And then there are those stream of consciousness vloggers. (Walteriffic) Most are pandering to a common denominator viewer. All of those channels are fine in their own right but I don't give sh_t about any of those things. I just want my viewers to see epic landscapes (not the center crossbar on the windshield) from behind the bars of motorcycle. Mine is a very simple objective in comparison... but is amazingly difficult to pull off.

There you go. More than you wanted to know again.
  3. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I think what riding a bike has taught me on this second go-round is that even the right bike for the right task is a challenge when the conditions are not in your favor.

This last week I decided on the difference between a "challenge" and a "goal": A "challenge" can kill you. Everything less is merely a goal.
    JB2 likes this.
  4. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    All right. It's clearly winter. Glad to see the Texans finally get what they've been running from all these years. Anyhows. Check out my latest video. It came out more of what I have in mind, i.e. less windshield crossbar. Even though it is headed into the sun, it didn't turn out too bad. If I had known it was going to be that good I would have turned around and ridden it north and saved myself all the hassle I got into later that day. You just never know.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/random-road-king-thoughts.1386416/page-21#post-41821920
  5. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Oh, and I don’t wanna hear no bellyaching about your sissy snowfall and cold. This morning. Tuesday morning might be colder.

2C7F8EA3-8916-4218-B9A2-23D8B1A87779.png
  6. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    :lol3
    jdfog2 likes this.
  7. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So RD

We're taking it that you did NOT ride Elvis that day?
  8. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Elvis has been sleeping since mid-October but he is going to get a new green and yellow four wheel stable mate in the next few weeks. The current green and yellow has been out in the subzero a few times lately but he don’t care none.
  9. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    What’s shaking my Hoosier Homies? It was 56F yesterday and today. Saw and heard a few HD’s and sport bikes out. Elvis is still under wraps. We have a lot of salt on the roads from snow last weekend. Not planning on riding until April 1st unless the roads clean up. Usually takes one or two good rains.

I survived another ski trip to Colorado but oldest son’s GF broke her leg on the last day. She fell awkwardly at the end of a lift. Full leg cast for six weeks. She was doing so good. I swear skiing and snowboarding are far more dangerous than riding a motorcycle - just not as fatal. I took two very minor falls but nearly died recovering my poles after I dropped them off a lift. 10/10 will never do that again. Climbing uphill at over 11,000 ft is for the young’ uns.

Hope ya’ll are good and the pictures of your riding exploits return soon.
  10. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing shaking but the leaves in the trees!
    It was 60ish today. Pulled cover off of VStrom in pole barn, an almost weekly exercise over the winter.
    Two things different this time:

1. There were mouse turds against the trim of the inside edge of the gas tank and it smelled. ZERO evidence of such bothersome putridness any other time I've uncovered her

2. I rode her a while then brought her home so she can get a bath tomorrow (took a day off, my wife asked me if we could hang out tomorrow because it's my 60th birthday)

I've put almost 700 miles on my other bike since March 1st and I haven't ridden every day, but almost.
    Haven't seen Joel on my forays into Hendricks Co. so far.
    But I'm thinking it'll happen.

Oh, Bob Wills is still the King. (No matter what George Strait fans think)
  11. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    p.s.
    Forgot to remember to take pics until late Sunday.
    Here's a few in the bustling metropolis of Coatesville
    20210307_153959 (1).jpg 20210307_153909 (1).jpg 20210307_153917 (1).jpg
  12. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I think I played Coatesville in seventh grade basketball as an Away game. I know Amo was Away game. I still have images of the locker room being in the basement boiler room. It was as Hoosier as Hoosier gets. Maybe the schools were the same in ‘77. It was an old dark red brick building - probably built in the 20’s or 30’s. Gawd I’d love to see it again if it was still standing.

What year is the RT?

Furthest you’ve ridden it away from home?

Longest day you’ve put in the saddle?
  13. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RT is 2013

Furthest about 60 to 70 miles from home so far
    Longest. 5 hours or so.
    Same day I went about 70 miles
    Went north on 41 out of Rockville about an hour then doubled back south a bit then to TH. Then on 40 to Plainfield, south to Mooresville, Spencer, Bowling Green, Poland, then back to Clovertucky (Cloverdale), then Fillmore, ending in Greencastle
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  14. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Started spring break on Friday and Sat was beautiful. Spent the day hiking and not riding. Sigh.

Changed the oil in the Scrambler yesterday. Installed a fender extender and changed the antifreeze today. Decided to run a USB charging cable to the handlebars and needed a longer cable. Took the KLX to pick one up at a store about three minutes away. Arrived a couple of hours after I left the house.

First jaunt on the new seat on the KLX. Nice change.

[​IMG]

They were doing a controlled burn at a nature preserve on the west side of Hendricks county.

[​IMG]

Decided to go see if the work on the old iron bridge on the Putnam County Line Rd. Didn't seem all that different...but it was open.

Hate typing on my phone...this is just to let you know I'm still kicking.
    jdfog2, popscycle, JB2 and 1 other person like this.
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Okay, back on the computer to write this up.

It wasn't real warm today--upper 50's, maybe lower 60's at some point. The ride above was not the first ride this season. I took the Scrambler out for an hour or so on Friday. I didn't really stopped to take pics as it just felt good to be back on the bike. I had intended to do all the maintenance work last fall, but it got cold in the garage before I got to it.

I've had the fender extender for over a year and decided today was the day to install it. Turned out to be very easy and I was just over thinking it. Paralysis by analysis is my usual mode and I was deep in it before starting the job. Took about 15 minutes. Need the facepalm emoji, but can't find it.

It was also time to do the coolant change since I was still running the original coolant in it. It took a bit longer to do than I expected, but it is done for a couple of years.

Wasn't sure the KLX would be good to go since I wasn't sure I had drained the carb correctly. I just shut the petcock off and ran the bike until it stopped running. The bike started and ran great. It's up for a coolant and oil change tomorrow. I had to order the filter and it comes in tomorrow.

It was the first run on the Seat Concept seat I got at Christmas. It made a big improvement since it is flatter than the stock. Makes it easy to change position and there are no hot spots--at least in the time I had on it today.

I've been considering putting a bench seat on the Scrambler since I'm not real comfortable on the stock seat even after having it modded over a year ago. Probably just a matter of time before I put a British Custom Slammer seat on it. It has good reviews and it seems most find it more comfortable than the stock.
    old_airhead, JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
  17. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I was beginning to worry about you, Joel.

Elvis is still sleeping. Maybe this weekend. (Notice Pacers pennant on Elvis waiting on me to hang up in the garage. Seems someone threw the hole box of pushpins in the trash last Fall after dropping them on the garage floor and playing 100 pin pickup.)

E475F034-894C-42B1-8529-A8AE294FE8C0.jpeg
  18. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    >>> "They were doing a controlled burn at a nature preserve on the west side of Hendricks county"

Taylor University did theirs a couple of weeks ago. It's a big deal for students and locals. Folks bring lawn chairs and setup on the hill across the road to watch.
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Good thing it wasn't today! With this wind we'd be burning down Illinois by the end of the day
    jdfog2 and JB2 like this.
  20. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    45 mph winds here today. Fire warnings. Apparently they already have a forest fire burning in South Dakota.