Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Still windy today. With added blessing of a 25 degree temperature drop. Seemed a good day for bike maintenance. Have changed the oil and coolant in both bikes this week and they are ready to go. Of course next week, the week after spring break, it is in the '70's.

Think the only thing left to do to complete the basic maintenance on the KLX is a brake fluid change. Looks a bit brown, so I may get to that shortly. Might need a valve check too, but I have some studying to do before I tackle that job.
    jdfog2, B10Dave and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  2. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That appears to be my #1 Smallmouth Bass fly fishing ( parking ) place
    I know they have to do that. Just glad they did it (hopefully) before the quail nested.
  3. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope all are doing well. It's sunshine and COLD today in West Central Indiana but I'm thankful it's not dark (dreary) and cold.
    It was snowing earlier. :vardy

Joel, I found some ideal riding area for you dual sporters !
    I've been trying to do a 100 or so miles on days when the weather was ok.
    Last weekend I went through Southern Putnam County into Clay and Owen Counties.
    I found some "bad" roads that were nice. :)
    The RT didn't care that much for it but the VStrom would love it.
    The good roads that were there were awesome on the RT however. Very hilly and curvy.

I'm putting some 60/40 or thereabouts tires, a bash plate, and crash bars on the 'Strom and can go with you on those "not RT friendly" roads soon!
    I won't go offroad so much as go on roads that should be considered offroad :)

The area outlined in red is the general vicinity. Parts to the east of that are also "good" bad roads :)
    :muutt
    upload_2021-4-1_18-2-54.png
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a good idea! Sounds like the Strom will be an ideal companion for the Scrambler!
  5. radianrider

Oddometer:
    The last Saturday of spring break. The weather had been reasonably bad since Monday when I took the KLX to the McCloud Nature Preserve, but today was beautiful. It started off below freezing and was in the low '50's by noon. MondayDad sent a text last night asking about a ride today. I was soooo ready for a ride.

The next 6-7 weeks is usually flat out as the academic years winds down toward commencement, so time to ride is at a premium for a while. We decided to meet up at 12:30 and then he called and created a mental conflict by asking which bike I was going to ride. I waffled around for a bit, but finally settled on the Scrambler.

We were planning to head southwest near Cataract Falls and ride some gravel roads. Bob said there would be water crossings and I've only done one--ever--and that was on the SV. The KLX would be the logical choice, but we needed to ride US-40 west for a time to get there as I needed to be back by 4:30. Riding at 60 or above is not the KLX's strong suite--though the thought of dropping the Scrambler in a creek was not very appealing. Finally settled on the Scrambler for the ease of higher speed and the larger gas tank. The KLX gets 80 miles per tank; the Scrambler can double that number.

The Scrambler was also the better choice, though I wasn't thinking about this at the time I made the decision, due to a very blustery wind. We got blown around pretty well on the way out on the heavier bikes--the KLX would have been "interesting" on that part of the trip. The Triumph turned out to be very capable, but the KLX would have been a lot of fun on the dirt roads. Next time.

Bob asked if I had seen the "place with the bells" and had to say I had never heard of it. Most of the pictures are from this unusual place out near Belle Union.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The steeds quietly waiting for us to stop randomly ringing bells.
    [​IMG]

Here's Bob trying to figure out how to get the cheese without triggering the trap (the barely visible metal sign behind says, "Texas Mouse Trap.")
    [​IMG]

The owner, presumably, pickup a few random windmills to keep the bells company. One of the creaked into action with the stiff breeze.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bikes were calling and we eventually got back on the road. It's the weird stuff on the backroads that makes this kind of riding so much fun. I never would have seen this if Bob hadn't suggested this brief detour.

That is actually most of the pictures I took on this ride. I did take a few from a side of Cataract Falls that I didn't know you could access by road. I had only seen the falls from the west side looking east after paying the entrance fee to the park. Bob took us in from the east side and I got this view of the falls I had never seen. [​IMG]

We parked our bikes by a gate and walked a couple of hundred feet to the river bank. Bob, reasonably, but mistakenly, thinking there would be little worth recording on his video cam, turned it off as we walked. He ducked under a down tree and I followed. I caught my foot on a rock as I came out from under the tree.

The conversation in my head went, " Uh-oh! Off balance! Save it, save it! Oh crap!" Face plant.
    So, you might reasonably ask, "So Mr. Martial-artist-with-over-ten-years-of-training, did you slap out and spread the impact of the fall as you practiced on the mat all those years?"

No.

So that happened. Bob immediately asked if I was okay (I was) and did not take a picture. Not sure we can trust a guy like that on this forum.

He made it better when we got to the water crossing area when he said I could go first so he "could video it when you crash." Thanks for the vote of confidence! Sadly for his video directing career, I made it through all three with both wheels pointing down. His video may show up later. He says the first crossing was the best--all I know is that water was deeper than I thought it was going to be!

We did stop when we hit the gravel and turned the ABS off on both bikes. I hadn't done that last summer while riding with Denis (friend seen earlier with the GS1250.) I almost rode up the back of his bike while full-on braking. It went much better today without the ABS and Traction Control turned off.

We arrived home 5 minutes later than I had told Deb I would be home--not bad! We did not hit all the gravel out that direction and we'll head back out to complete the tracks. Bob got the route from a ride called Foo Fest (thread found here https://advrider.com/f/threads/foo-fest-3-20-21-west-central-indiana.1492550/)

Turned out to be a great day of riding and I look forward to riding the rest of the route.
  6. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Nearly forgot! As we left the park area we ride into Atkinsville. A sign welcomed us and said "population 11, sometimes 12."

Both of us got a laugh out of that.
    jdfog2, JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  7. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    Elvis was out yesterday for the first ride of the season. I think I have the GoPro figured out so that Joel no longer has to stare at the windshield crossbar. Video is at the end of my Alaska thread. Contains a photo of an original mint green 1956 Cadillac I came across in my outing.
    radianrider likes this.
  8. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Hey Joel - I would love to see the collection of iron you guys stopped to photograph. I assume the creek crossings were also Scrambler-worthy? Great when you have someone with intimate knowledge of the area to show you things or roads you didn't know about. :thumb
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    We'll have to get you down here to ride! Pretty sure Bob would be up for a run out that way as we have more of the tracks posted in that thread to cover. Not far from Jay as well.
    JB2 likes this.
  10. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice report and photos Joel !
    The Bells...nice added touch. I've zoomed by that place many times and kept going. (When you ride a lot of country roads away from "the city" there's a lot of places that look similar to that when you zoom by. But you made it more interesting so now I have to find it again and go back and not zoom by.)

I was somewhere in that vicinity that day. Rode to Poland then Bowling Green - then back to Greencastle via Spencer, Coatesville, North Salem, Jamestown, Ladoga, Crawfordsville, and Russellville (cross country mostly on that last leg, very little highway) - and it was indeed very windy.

The RT doesn't mind the wind at all compared to the Strom but the sidewinds still make the ears know it's windy. I also verified the RT brakes are MUCH better than the VStrom brakes (knew that already but got to put it into practice.) It's a good thing I spend 15 or 20 minutes 3 or 4 times a week practicing panic stops in my church parking lot. Came in handy!
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Now you have me wondering what caused the panic stop!
  12. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh. Dang it.
    Figured I blabbed in your post too much ready so I cut 'er short. Popped over a large hill on a nice smooth, (read that "fast") road. Something told me to slow down and good thing I had started slowing. Two full grown Labrador Retrievers were running up my lane right at me. Got it all collected and stopped muey pronto!

The dogs were just lonely for company.I guess and likely hadn't seen another vehicle or person in a while.

We parted ways with them somewhat happy and me with dog slime on my gloves and jacket.
    Cline.matt1 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  13. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Much better than with Jay slime on them!
    jdfog2 likes this.
  14. MondayDad

MondayDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I told Joel that, because he didn't fall in that first creek, I was going to have to put an explosion in during post production...

Bob
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  15. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our weather was rain and cold all week. Snow flurries all day Tuesday. But it straightened up enough to get to 55F today so I took Elvis out for a 45 minute spin around Pelican Lake before going to get my first Fauci Ouchie. Amazing that I scheduled it near St.Paul HD which is a quarter mile from an Indian dealer. We stopped at both but neither had much new inventory.

I’m hoping your weather has been better than ours and that you have been out enjoying it on two wheels.
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Haven't been out and it is now snowing here.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  17. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Indeed it has snowed quite a bit here. Suspect my blossomed apple trees won't be producing after the next couple of nights