Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Been gone from ADV for a few weeks. Hate to hear this Joel. Best to you and your family.
  2. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joel,

So very sorry to hear about both your mother and brother.

I prayed for you as soon as I read this and will continue praying for you, your brother, and your entire family.

Jay
  3. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very sorry to hear this. You will be in our thoughts and prayers!
  4. JuddS

JuddS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am terribly sorry for the family issues. You are all in my prayers.

live been reading your report for a while as I live in Chicago. Great report and please keep it up.
  5. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Thanks everybody. I appreciate your kind words.

Definitely going to need some seat time after all this...so more motorcycle content as soon as I can get to it.
    popscycle likes this.
  6. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would any of you be interested in an 80’s Harley Touring bike that’s never been ridden and guaranteed to be perfectly reliable? Asking price is a tad under $300. Assembly required.

CD56A756-F5A0-4A77-B40B-7BF8FBD734E1.jpeg

49CA7724-CEFA-4233-8CE4-51A8397F2E2D.jpeg
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Too many farkels for my tastes
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  8. old_airhead

old_airhead n00b

Oddometer:
    Nope. If you have one of an RD350 I'd be interested. Used to have one of those.
  9. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I think the one of the RD350 vibrated so badly they couldn’t keep all the parts in the box!
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    But it weighs less than your KLX!
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Not one of the same size!
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Rode to work on Thursday--the last day of classes this spring. Finals start tomorrow.

Took the Triumph and enjoyed the ride, but didn't take any pictures. Maybe next time.

I took IN-267 to IN-144 on the way in but decided to take the longer route home through Martinsville. The day started a bit cool and I chose the wrong jacket. A wee bit nippy on the way in and the last little bit on the ride home. The rest of the ride was fantastic and I enjoyed myself immensely.

There are times when the all-consuming nature of focusing your attention on the ride--and doing it safely--is the most important part of the ride. This was one of those rides. It has been a tough few months and the hardest part is yet to come. I needed the distraction.

My brother, Dan, is three years older than I am and I have serious doubts that he will be here to see his son get married in July. He is wasting away and it is very hard to watch what he and his wife are going through right now. We try to be there to help, but they are living with his dying 24/7. He has maintained a strong spiritual walk through the last 3-year battle with cancer. It has been amazing to see him retain the core of who he is throughout the battle, but his body is just wearing out.

I remember one of my favorite rides of all time was with him back in '76. I had a Kawi Trail Boss 100 and he had borrowed a similar bike. We were with a friend on an XL250. We lived just west of Cadillac, MI on the edge of the Manistee Nat'l Forest. Dan had come home for a visit just before his college started the fall term.

A fog had rolled in during the early evening and we decided to hit the trails. The fog was pretty thick, so there weren't any high-speed runs (not that the 100cc bikes were capable of such behavior) and we were just riding along at responsible speeds. The fog had everything quiet and still and we were not sure where we were after just a short while. We rode until about 11:00 that night.

At one point he was trailing me down a two-track and decided to crack the throttle and fly by me. I hit a puddle neither of us had seen just as he pulled up beside me with predictable results. He was drenched head-to-toe. I had to stop because I was laughing too hard to control where I was going.

I think that was the last time we rode together. I didn't get a second bike until his battle with cancer had taken away the feeling in his hands and feet. He wouldn't have been able to feel the throttle or the brakes well enough to ride. Still, I am grateful for that memory.
    JB2, jdfog2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  13. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Joel: Does your primary riding jacket not have a removable thermal liner? Both of mine do. A lot of days the liner is in place for the morning ride when the temperature is below 70F and I remove it for the afternoon ride home when the temperature is over 70F. I also use the Frogg Togg rain jacket over the top if the temperature is below 53F. The hand guards I added to Elvis have made it possible for me to ride down into the low forties now and still be comfortable.

I have it on good authority that if you can spring riding to work and back that it really is the best part of your workday and, given time, you'll find new and longer routes to and from work to increase your enjoyment further.

The riding with your brother story is touching and I wish there was something... really anything I could say that would be consoling. I understand the constructive role that faith can play in these difficult circumstances and I hope that yours and his provide both of you the strength and inner peace to endure this experience gracefully.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  14. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joel,

Thinking of you and your brother and family every day and praying for all of you as well.

Jay
  15. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure how I missed this the first time around JB - I'm going to South Dakota in a few weeks and remembered you, Joel, and "RD" talking about it a lot so I started searching Joel's thread and this popped up - good reading :)

Thanks !
    Jay
    JB2 likes this.
  16. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    @jdfog2 - You’re welcome. Always nice to find parallel travelers here on ADV.

Joel - Glad ya got out. Motorcycle therapy is good. Maybe a road trip is in order. When the time is right of course. :*sip*
    jdfog2 likes this.
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
    No doubt! I think that is a great idea.
    JB2 likes this.
  18. radianrider

Oddometer:

I had the liner in--but it isn't overly aggressive. I have two other jackets that would have been warmer.
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I was going through a box of things my sister gave me after Mom passed. I found some snapshots of the bike I was riding in the fog with my brother. Thought these were gone. Proof positive that the Kodak Instamatic took lousy pictures.

I also received a new seat for the Scrambler today. There aren't many options, but the British Customs Slammer gets good reviews. Guess I'll find out!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    72 Yamaha RD350, old_airhead and JB2 like this.
  20. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Took a short ride after fitting the bench seat. Pretty hard seat, but review say it will break in after a bit. I bought this one used, but the seller didn't ride it very long. He is short and didn't like the added height. It is about 1.5 inches taller than the stock seat.

I might not have gone for the tuck and roll style, but it saved me almost half of the cost. I was concerned about changing the relationship between the seat and the bars, but I believe it will be okay. Can feel the tuck and roll, but I can move a lot more easily on the seat and I don't feel as confined.

Obviously, more time needed to come to a final decision, but it seems okay after about an hour.
    [​IMG]
    I think the bench seat looks better with a tail bag and rack. Always seemed tacked on with the single seat.
    72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.