Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Great day of riding! New favorite road! IN450 from Bedford to Shoals is amazing! Fresh pavement...twists and turns...elevation changes galore!

More later. Just stopped lunch.
  2. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Met Dan Stephans at a gas stop. He is listed on Iron Butt site as having 2.7 million miles!
  3. old_airhead

old_airhead n00b

Oddometer:
    IN-450 is one of favorites. I rode it last Saturday on the old BMW. Try IN-150 from Shoals to West Baden Springs - lots of nice sweepers.
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    150 from Shoals to West Baden is goodtoo
    Thought about reaching out to see if you were around today.

We took 150 to West Baden and left for home. Went back via the same route.

Should have eased into it. Pretty stiff on returning.
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  5. MondayDad

MondayDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was a long ride! My ICAN puppy will go to CIF on 6/16, freeing me to begin riding again.

Bob
  6. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our car, La Canada, made the pilgrimage to see mom. My youngest daughter worshipped at Joel’s java temple. Youngest son is with us but he worships at the same temple as his dad (shown in background).

6F247C57-D928-4A67-8E66-39A24934BF86.jpeg
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Actually I find SB coffee to be a bit bitter for my taste.

Bring your gear next time! I'll even let you have the Triumph!
  8. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    This is a quick trip. Here for a total of less than 24 hours. Splitting it up into an overnight each way at Dubuque - or Doo-boo-koo as my daughter calls it. Son wanted to bring La Canada so he could drive a curvy hilly road north of Dubuque.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Spent a few hours last week bopping around the neighborhood and beyond. We had some friends from Maine visiting last week and he brought his riding gear along. (I rode his Versys 1000 when I was out there a couple of years ago.)

We spent about 3 hours on Wednesday just wandering my usual haunts in the area. Miguel was riding the Triumph--quite a change from his 118 HP ride. He rides a bit slower than most and I had to slow down on the 250 a few times--but I'd rather that than have him ride like a wild man on my bike. :)

I have new seats on both bikes, but this was the longest I had ridden the KLX with the new seat. The forums say it gets better as it breaks in--and it is already better than the stock seat--but I probably should have considered how long I was on it considering the next day's ride.

Denis--you've seen him earlier in this thread on a BMW GS 1200--had called earlier in the week asking if I wanted to go find a road he had heard about at a BMW meeting. I was up for it as Miguel headed for home Thursday at 4 a.m.

Denis showed up at 8:20 and we headed out. We were looking for SR-450 out of Bedford, but we took the long, slow way to get there. Headed down to Martinsville, through the Morgan-Monroe State Forest to Old 37.

I am firmly convinced that any road called "Old" anything is better than the modern version.

In Bloomington we picked up 446 across Lake Monroe and enjoyed the big sweepers out of town. We stopped for gas where 446 T'd with IN 50. That turned out to be an interesting stop.

I noted a guy with a long, white beard gassing up a VFR Interceptor with WI plate. Turned out he was on his way back from FL. His older brother had purchased a new Rebel 1100 with the DCT transmission and he wanted to try it out. Hopped on the bike and headed out to FL. I asked if he was on ADV and he said he was on the Iron Butt Association site. Turns out he has one of, if not the highest, mileage ratings on the site. Dan Stephans is listed as having ridden 2.7 million miles--but he told me he is closing in on 3 million miles. He works in WI and his wife lives in Arizona? Maybe New Mexico. Either way, he rides down to spent weekends with her.

Saw two other guys gassing up while I was talking to Dan and one shouted, "Old guys on bikes rule!" as he pulled out. We all laughed, being old guys on bikes, and agreed with the sentiment.

Denis and I headed up to Bedford and found IN 450 to Shoals. What a road! There were road crews working on it, but they were mostly done. Fresh pavement now covers almost the entire section. Denis had heard about it from one of the BMW crew he had breakfast with a bit ago. The guy telling him about it had raced professionally for 10 years and said that this stretch reminds him of Laguna Seca every time he rides it. I'll have to take his word for it, but it was full of turns and elevation changes.

We hit Shoals and decided to stop for lunch. First place didn't take the card, so we asked a woman on the street where to go. She suggested BoMac's, so headed out again. Pulled up to find the two guys from the gas station already there. Turns out one of them lives just about 2 miles from me.

They suggested we take 150 over to West Baden, the location of a famous hotel in the area. We rode over and enjoyed it, but it wasn't as good as 450 (in my opinion.)

We decided it was time to head back and basically reversed the course used to get there. I took a few pictures, but nothing particularly noteworthy. I take better shots while riding on my own--mostly because it's harder to just stop when something catches my attention when I'm with someone.

Covered 268 miles and the seat on the Triumph is a definite improvement. I can move around on the bench seat a lot more than on the single seat. Seems like a good change. Still, I did a LOT of standing up on the ride back.

Still struggling to find a good image share site, so here's a link to the Relive video--bad photos included. https://sendvid.com/fas2ruef
    Bhart89, old_airhead and JB2 like this.
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Joel: Excellent report. "Old" anything rules over anything "New".
  11. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - The first time I heard that saying it went like, "Old guys on old bikes rule." However, I won't argue with anyone who has 2.7 million miles. They can say whatever they want. :nod

Your day trip sounds a lot like the 4 days Bhuff and I spent in southern Indiana last fall. Way cool.

Regarding your seat... I hate to say this, especially since I've not logged a lot of miles this year, however... from experience... you need to get into "bike shape". Your body will eventually adjust. After 3-4 days straight of several hundred miles each day your arse will become numb and start adjusting to what ever seat your running. Trust me on this one. Now when are we leaving on that road trip so I can prove me right? :lol3
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Sounds about right, Jim. It does help to have a seat that cuts the time needed down!

I'm on vacation! You?
    JB2 likes this.
  13. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Going part time next week. Only working 4 days from now until retirement, Tuesday through Friday. I have a vacation scheduled for the week that ends with Labor Day. Bhuff, Gentleman Jim and I hope to attack the U.P. and you'd be more than welcome to join us. HOWEVER, iffin' the desire to take off on a road trip ever gets in your brain let me know. I can always quit my job and see if they will take me back when it is over. I have actually done that before so yes, I am serious! :D
  14. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Unfortunate that the UP trip is the week school starts.

Congrats on the 4-day's a week!
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I got a bit more riding in this week--in spite of the humidity. My daughter in Louisiana would scoff at 72% humidity, but it feels plenty sticky to me.

I left home at 8:30 thinking I would just bimble about for a bit and ended up spending a little over three hours running around the west side of Indiana.

Some of you purists will recoil at the thought, but I have caved and added a bluetooth comm system to my helmet. I managed to inadvertently scare my wife while on the trip to West Baden last week. She asked how long before I got home and I guesstimated WAAAAAY too low. I wasn't answering the phone because I didn't know she was calling after she thought I should be home. Did not make her happy.

The answer seemed to be to make it easy for her to contact me while on the bike. Hence, the addition of a Cardo Talkpack Slim to the mix. Turns out I kind of enjoy listening to I Heart Radio Electic Rock--when I feel like it. Didn't actually spend a lot of time listening to it--the bike makes it's own music. Deb didn't call--she was at work and I didn't know I was going to ride.:lol3

I threw on my mesh overpants mesh jacket and the humidity actually felt refreshingly cool at the start of the ride. That was not to last and it just got plain-old hot by the time I got home. I was wandering around looking for roads I haven't ridden (getting more difficult to find) and eventually found my way onto Ladoga Road. Didn't say "old" but most folks heading to Ladoga take 136 now. Almost no traffic on this stretch. I turned off onto Cornstalk Creek Road and enjoyed the curves as the road really does follow the creek.

The temps were rising and I hadn't planned ahead enough to have water with me, so I started looking for signs of a town in the area. Off to the southwest I spotted a water tower over the tree line. Water tower equals town so I headed that way only to find myself in............

Russelville-scene of the-Honda-PC800-decided-to-stop-running debacle of last summer. (Spoiler--not much has changed except the town has boarded up most of the windows on main street, including the store with all the race tires shown earlier in this thread.

Ron's Towing, the spot where a helpful rider charged MondayDad's battery, appears to be in business--but closed. No place in town to get anything, including water. Westward, HO! I eventually hit Marshall where Jim, Brian and I had lunch a couple of years ago (the place appears to be closed now) before heading back on 236 to hit 231 toward Greencastle.

On the way west out of town I spotted what has to be one of the more unexpected sights in rural Indiana-- a Rolls Royce sitting abandoned in front yard. Not the average F150 on blocks that might have been expected.

At this point the idea of something tall and frosty had taken control and I was determined to quench that burning desire for a .....

Starbuck's frozen Mocha. What did you think I meant! I was riding!

It was good. And large. :D:D

Stopped in Fillmore, IN to gas up and a very friendly guy backed his car up to where I was filling up, introduced himself as Todd, his dog as Tonto and told me his favorite band is Triumph. He had to tell me that after seeing the name on the tank of my bike. I assured him I had heard of them and he headed off down the road happy with life (or so it appeared to me.)

I got a little lost on the way, but eventually figured it out or I would not be writing this. All in all a good day.

Here's the video with some unedited pics included.
    https://www.relive.cc/view/vwq1w9nw4LO
    JB2 and old_airhead like this.
  16. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the video. Helps a lot.

After being a diehard Luddite for so long (technology is just a fad, you know) I have not regretted having my Cardo Freecom 4+ a single minute. I frequently leave it turned off but often ride with my iTunes library playing. It's so easy to turn off or mute with a voice command. Of course, I have a dual set so Mrs.RD and I can chat while she's riding pillion. It really is enjoyable to have that time together.

I have gotten into the habit of putting a water bottle in my saddlebag for every ride. Even if I don't use it - it didn't cost me anything.

So you are telling me that you are bad for business?

Stay tuned for an upcoming episode of Chronicles of Elvis. We went on a 960 mile jaunt in 20 hours yesterday.
    radianrider likes this.
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
    The heat and humidity dropped even further, so I grabbed the KLX and headed out at about 8:30. Figured on just a short ride, but it was really nice out. I got back at 2:15.

Ended up at the intersection of 59 and 42 out near Brazil. I didn't track the ride on Relive until the way back because I don't have a USB charger on the KLX. Hit a lot of roads I haven't ridden--and that is always a treat. Not that I saw anything spectacular, but Indiana is really lush and full of green after a week of rain showers. I did see an immature Bald Eagle and I hit a snake at one point, but those may be the unusual bits of the ride.

The little KLX is a willing companion and I did hit several stretches of gravel where the long suspension was appreciated. The speedo is hopelessly off, but the GPS says I hit 70 at one point. Previous high was 67 and I didn't know it had 70 mph in it. Not crazy about needing to fill up three times, but I guess it's a small price to pay for the fun the inexpensive bike provides.

I turned Relive on when I turned to head back. I was following IN-42, but you'll see a couple of places where I ran into construction and had to try to find a way around road closures. It would be nice if 1) the road closures signs were at a point where you could turn around them without backtracking, and 2) if a road is a dead end--how about a brief mention of that at some point on the road? Just sayin'.

I did recognize a few places that Jdfog lead me too a few years ago, but a lot that area was new to me. Roads are definitely more fun to the west and south of here.

Stopped at the Cagles-Mill recreation site. Just me and a maintenance guy there today.

Just a fun day of exploring at generally slower speeds.
    https://www.relive.cc/view/vrqo8ZNkEyv
  18. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report - nice ride Joel !

As far as Indiana goes - this part "Not that I saw anything spectacular, but Indiana is really lush and full of green after a week of rain showers."

Indeed it is. I've got to admit that riding a motorcycle and going to a lot of "out of the way places" has really given me a much higher opinion and appreciation for Indiana.

LAST weekend (a week ago) I had ridden a few hours in the Rockville/Attica/Crawfordsville/Ladoga/Coatesville/Cloverdale/Greencastle "loop" I enjoy so much and took a few side roads (off the side roads I was already on) and I thought how wonderful it all was.

Then last Sunday the wife and I went and sat in a very nice shaded section of Forest Park in Brazil and watched/heard the best concert band in Indiana ( I suspect the ones at a few universities and colleges might argue but having seen a few of those - they'd lose the argument) at Brazil
    They've existed since 1858 and they sorta have it "dialed in") http://www.brazilconcertband.org/
    Anyway, as rough as Brazil looks at times when driving through on US 40, that park and that concert band are wonderful.

Then this weekend I rode the bike to a Chiropractor appt in Rockville and back. And I thought "how wonderful Indiana is" - it was a beautiful ride even though I got rained on a while coming back.

As you may or may not recall I am a big fan of the state of Oklahoma and I love it's history and traditions. (My wife is from there, my best friend lives there, and I love to go there and we've even talked of moving there.)
    There's that little part at the end of Rodgers and Hammerstein song "Oklahoma!" from, the musical of the same name that goes "you're doing fine Oklahoma, Oklahoma, OK ! "

Well, Oklahoma may be doin' fine, but I'd argue Indiana is doin' finer!

And, Indiana has become a much nicer place since I was a kid - I even notice it improving a lot since we moved home after retiring from the Air Force in 2001.

(Damn, that makes me sound kinda old) ;)

I'm trying South Dakota and places west of their for a couple of weeks sometime soon. The stories you guys talk about made me more curious so we're gonna check it out.

We need to ride up to JB2's and BHuff's direction or get them to come down here sometime before it snows !
    I've been piecing together some camping "kit" ( I prefer "gear" but "kit" is apparently what the cool kids say - and who doesn't want to try to be cool when they're only 60 years old? :)

Let the good times roll !

And, take care !
    Jay

p.s. - had to add this...
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Jay!
  20. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    @jdfog2 - I'm all up for a ride! Would like to see you and Joel again. It has been a crazy year. I have some cool stuff in my back yard to show you guys iffin' you're willing to ride this far north.

My wife plays in the Mississinewa Vally Band. Sounds like something they would play. She also plays in the Windsong Flute Ensemble. Do you have a connection to the video or the band?