Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife was an Instructional Aid at Greencastle Middle School for kids with learning disabilities.
    She had a kid that was in band.

Mr. Huber was the Director of Bands for the Greencastle School district (now long ago retired) and the kid told her about "Mr. Huber's Concert Band"

Plus, we like stuff that not everyone likes. Simpler things like car shows, fireworks, bands, home made ice cream. :)
    (Ok, * I * like those things) - my wife just tolerates the things I like
    JB2 likes this.
  2. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I checked them out, both groups - very nice !
    JB2 likes this.
  3. MondayDad

MondayDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And I thought that all they did in Forest Park was race gokarts!

Bob
    jdfog2 likes this.
  4. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    @jdfog2: I have recently learned that my paternal grandmother’s ancestors are from Greencastle and occupy multiple graves in a cemetery there. I will be spending some time there on a future trip.

I’ve been to Forest Park in Brazil many times. I love the tank parked on the front lawn of the armory next door... assuming it’s still there.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  5. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Dan's fight with cancer has ended. He passed away yesterday at 6:30 a.m.

This is the first I've been able to slip away and I'm out running some of his favorite roads (I got him hooked on Miatas years ago.)

I'm sitting outside one of his favorite coffee shops in Danville enjoying a warm afternoon and a hot coffee.

He was a man of deep faith and humor. Too often those two things are separated. He retired when he could no longer physically work and was bedridden shortly after.

I will miss him.

Motorcycle content again when I'm ready. Appreciate those you love and tell them.
    blacktruck likes this.
  6. MondayDad

MondayDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thankful for good memories to overcome the ugliness of death...

Thinking of you and your family during this time.

Bob
    JB2 and radianrider like this.
  7. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - Even when you know it is coming makes it no easier. Best to you and your family.

When you are ready for that motorcycle content let me know.
    radianrider likes this.
  8. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jim. I'm going to need some saddle time.
    JB2 likes this.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Decided to do a little garage therapy this morning. I used a bit of the bit Mom left me to put a new seat on the bike a few weeks ago and decided to use the rest to upgrade the shocks. Settled on the Fox shocks that Triumph made available as an aftermarket shock for the Street Scrambler.

[​IMG]
    jdfog2 and JB2 like this.
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Joel: So sorry for the loss of your brother.
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
  12. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RD... if you want to, message me details and I'll look for those relatives.
    It would be crazy (but not hard to believe) if we were distantly related.
  13. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joel, sorry about the loss of your brother.
    Jay
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer. I’ll look them up. They are Day and Mostellers on my paternal grandmother’s lineage. IIRC, they are circa 1900-1950. She passed in 1965 and there was never much information passed down about her family history.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    After a sucky week I started upgrading the suspension on the Scrambler.

I put Fox adjustable shocks on and ordered progressive springs with preload adjusters for the forks.

The shocks are a big improvement and I should get the springs on Wednesday.

Put fatter grips on the KLX as well.

Now I just need a chance to ride.
    JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I put progressive fork springs in the Scrambler yesterday and took it out. Much better ride--took the harshness out of the front end. Added preload adjusters on it too.

Took the KLX out for 100 miles today and had a great time. It was pretty cool at the start, but warmed up nicely by the time I got home. I went down through Martinsville and the Morgan/Monroe State Forest again. Beautiful scenery. Left at 11:00 and got back at 3:30. Nice way to spend a day.

Took Mahalasville Road over to Morgantown. That was a fun road and there was a lot of green out there after all the rain.

No pictures because my phone was really low on power and I needed to keep the possibility of making a phone call available.

The Seat Concept seat is breaking in and it is a lot more comfortable this summer. I really enjoy the differences between the bikes.

I was riding Wilbur Road, just west of IN-39 but less busy, when a rider showed up in my mirror. He was on one of those bikes with two things my KLX doesn't have--acceleration and speed. He followed for a few minutes until I got to a stretch with a passing lane. I slowed down and waved him past. He saluted when he passed and was gone from view in about 20 seconds. Looked like a native to me. Sure handled the road like he knew what was coming next.

Good day of riding
    jdfog2, JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  17. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi All - I'm BACK
    Went on a 14 day "ADVENTURE" with wife in F-150.
    Adventure meaning it turned out to be a lot more than we bargained for (turbos replaced / trip delayed over 4th of Jul weekend in Spearfish.)
    Once that got taken care of (correctly, the first try they didn't quite get it fixed) ... it was smooth sailing.

REALLY enjoyed the Corn Palace, Wall Drug, Badlands, Our VRBO in the Black Hills, Custer State Park, Sturgis, Museum of Western History in Spearfish,etc.

Tent camping in Custer State Park was a blast. Good thing - because it was unplanned and a last minute thing after the truck broke.

Fireworks in Custer (the town, not the park) were supposedly awesome but I missed those. Wife went with our daughter's family who were camping in Custer State Park and I stayed and did firewatch at the camp ground. I don't have PTSD, but after 20 years of watching planes shoot up and drop ordnance on stuff - fireworks aren't all that. (And the campground at Sylvan Lake was awesome when I was the only one there. )

And of course we were amazed at Yellowstone/ Grand Teton parks (almost ALL of WY and MT that we saw was pretty awesome)

I have a better opinion of Iowa and Nebraska vs. what I had before from a couple of previous brief looks at Eastern Iowa several years ago.

Nebraska after coming out of Wyoming is "underwhelming" to say the least. But it seems to improve as you head east. Certainly didn't seem any worse than Indiana but of course I only drove through it.

I know this isn't a ADV Motorcycle post - but I hope to go back to SD in the near future and try it again with a Motorcycle. WONDERFUL place and the people are the nicest I've met anyplace. (so far anyway)

I actually started planning for this vacation because of hearing you fellas rave about South Dakota in the past (on our ride a couple of years ago and is some posts on this thread and Jim's (JB2s) along with I think some posts I think I saw somewhere that RD350 posted.

I'm now more curious about North Dakota as well. I saw they have their own "Badlands" - will do more research and see if there's more to see there.

Thanks fellas!
    J
    JB2 likes this.
  18. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    p.s. - We need to go for a ride - soon
    Just sayin' :)
    JB2 likes this.
  19. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    The North Dakota Badlands are on the west side of the state. It’s typically windier there than SD. I’m not a big fan of the Badlands in SD but the ones in ND have a different aesthetic to me.

I’m no fan of fireworks either. 5-10 minutes is fine but we Americans don’t know how to do anything in moderation anymore.

Which engine does your F-150 have?

Elvis is going for a big ride this weekend. I’m going to keep you in suspense. He gets a crankcase oil change on the 23rd which will mark 5,000 miles this season. I have a King Tour Pak on order for Mrs.RD.

Great hearing from you JD.
  20. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HI RD350

Sounds like good things in store for "the King" (and your "Queen's" comfort as well.)

Our truck has the 3.5 Ecoboost. This is our 2nd truck with that engine and 4th "turbo" vehicle from Ford in the last decade.
    We had a 2013 (3.5 Turbo Platinum) that we traded for a 2017 2.7 Turbo. We hated the 2017 so we sold it and found this current truck - a 2013 3.5 Lariat.
    It had 105,000 ish miles when it failed. But looking back we think it was in failure for the last 5 or 6 thousand miles (MPG went down a lot, we had it tuned up, no real improvement, didn't run great, SMOKED a couple of times on startup, etc.)

We also had an RS Focus - it was a screamer but it became excess and we sold it. The current F-150 is the only one to have ANY issues.

Thanks
    Jay