Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Ditto on the ride soon. Been to the same area as your F150 trip numerous times on a bike. We've used Murdo and Hill City as an "away from the crowds" place to do rides out of. Nebraska on 2 or US 20 are peaceful routes. Something I really like about desolate places.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  2. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    I Really loved the scenery in SD and would love to get back there on a bike.

It would be great to ride with you guys again. Things are getting busy with weddings...open houses and vacation, but I can feel the semester creeping creeping up on me.

Jay, my turn to head north to Jim's territory this time. Be good time to drop off a cigar box guitar and get a ride in.
  3. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've heard the Ford turbos tend to fail when they don't get used often enough. I don't know if that's true but it was said by a certified Ford mechanic. He also said the cam chain tensioners can run out of adjustment on the 3.5 causing the cam chain to jump which leads to very expensive repair bills. I know the 3.5 has a ton of torque.

I test drove a Chevy Colorado last weekend. I had an F-150 rental for one of my many trips to Indiana. I have in my mind that my next vehicle purchase might be a truck but I can't settle on any make or model. I want to get out and test drive the Honda Ridgeline (which most truck owners say isn't a truck at all) and the new Nissan Frontier (although I am no fan of Nissan's). Mrs.RD might ride more in far away places if we tow Elvis to destinations rather than riding the entire way there.

I'm looking forward to my ride this weekend. It will total nearly 700 miles if all goes as planned.
    Piper87c likes this.
  4. Piper87c

Piper87c Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can throw my two cents in. I’ve just about always had a truck in my driveway, the majority of them have been GM products, but that has come to an end. In 2017 I purchased a new 1500 Silverado LT, with the 5.3 engine. There was nothing I did not like about, except for it’s lack of reliability. I owned it four years and it left me walking four times. Two times it was a fuel injector, that was not covered under the warranty because “ it wasn’t part of the fuel system “ figure that out.. the last time was a transmission failure. They wanted $6,000 for a rebuilt. I traded it in for a Ram Lariat with the 5.7. So far, I love it. If it is reliable, I’ll love it even more.
    jdfog2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  5. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I can’t bring myself to even consider a Silverado/Sierra even though all my cars are GM. I’m not sure I want something as big as a full size and all the midsize trucks have their downsides. Ford intentionally underpowered the Ranger and it gets crappy mpg to boot. The Tacoma rides poorly. The Colorado is ok assuming it is reliable. I was considering getting a diesel Colorado (28 mpg HWY) until I learned that DEF freezes in our climate and frequently cracks the DEF pump in the process. Yea, that’d be great after being parked for four days at the airport in January while I’m escaping the annual Artic blast. There may be no good options. Or maybe I’m so old now I can’t be satisfied. I do know I’d prefer a truck without a touch screen or big display. They rolled out all these big displays in cars and trucks and then wonder why there’s a chip shortage. Maybe I should go to Phoenix and buy the lowest mileage 1988 Silverado I can find.
  6. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim..I was initially under impressed with Nebraska on our return "southerly" route. Of course I was coming out of Wyoming so leaving that gorgeous state may have had something to do with that initial "meh" attitude. However, once we got into the interior of the Cornhusker state a bit I liked it more and more. In fact, I told my wife that I could stand a return trip there via motorcycle to "check it out" more off the interstate.

I may be repeating myself but I expected to be wowed by Wyoming and it did not fall short. But I really didn't expect to absolutely adore South Dakota as much as I did/do.

South Dakota definitely rocks!

I share your joy of desolate places I think. There's lot of nice hilly, curvy rides in Indiana but I love to take rides on the long, open gently sweeping two lane roads between just Northwest of where I live and Covington/ Attica/ Lafayette over to the state line. Usually there's almost no traffic, sweeping vistas, and enough curves / changes to keep things interesting.

I am gonna look at maps regarding 20 and 2 in Nebraska.
    Thanks!
    J
    JB2 likes this.
  7. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RD. I can easily believe that non use could contribute to premature turbo failure on these engines. Both times we noticed it put out a bunch of smoke were upon startup after having not been driven in quite some time. And, subsequent to those events is when we really noticed something had changed. In fact, we have a tune up a couple of weeks before leaving on our trip due to the feeling that something wasn't quite right. (And it ran much better afterward... until it didn't)

They do indeed feel very torquey. Pulled 16 and 20 foot trailers full of cows around many times with the first 3.5 F-150 with no engine / power related issues. ONE time when I had too many cows in a trailer I was a bit concerned about getting pushed through a stoplight that changed from green to yellow to red in about 1.5 seconds while I was going about 60mph (speeding).

That was complacency. Shouldn't have expected better braking performance from a 1/2 ton truck.

J
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  9. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joel. Appreciate your schedule constraints. Been there.

If it helps at all I can take a weekday off if I plan ahead a bit. "Semper Gumby" (Always Flexible)

Good luck with all your upcoming events and do your friends (us) a favor...ENJOY those! . Those ARE the things that are important and they seem to be more precious the older we get.
    J
  10. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Brother and Sister in Law have a 2006 Silverado they've racked up over 460,000 miles on (so far).
    They changed the engine (Crate engine) and transmission once. As my brother says "so far."

It's in really good shape and he plans to replace the engine and transmission again when needed. We've worn out a few suspension parts, a blower motor, heater core, and replaced some window regulators (lots of window down riding in Oklahoma in spring and fall) but other than that it's going strong.

I like it so much I'm thinking of going to Phoenix myself to find something similar next time. ;)

Have you seen the new Ford Maverik "pickup?"
    Gets great mpg in 2wd. Not sure how that will work in 4WD versions. I need to do more research but it is interesting.
    J
  11. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope that Ram works out for ya. I have been eyeing those. They're nice pickups.
    Piper87c likes this.
  12. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Teaser pic.

65B42255-CEBB-4E14-B684-DA35CD8BE20D.jpeg
    radianrider and jdfog2 like this.
  13. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Not really interested in the new Maverick or Santa Cruz pickups. Need to test drive a Ridgeline. I was at Menards last weekend and there was a Ridgeline parked right next to a Colorado. I was surprised they were the same size - the Colorado just sits higher due to the body on frame and towing capable suspension.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  14. Piper87c

Piper87c Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So far I love it. I’ve told friends “ if you drive one, you’ll buy one”.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  15. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Ever since I rode to Wyoming last year, I have an infatuation with the RAM Big Horn and Laramie trucks but I don’t think I want something that big.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  16. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can understand that. I think I read that the Maverick in 2wd is FRONT wheel drive and has a CV Transmission. I haven't been a fan of that type of transmission at all. They may have improved in the past few years but I drove an Accord and a Nissan Altima when looking for a new commuting car in 2017 and it felt like very "non specific" - reminded me of my childhood friends and their Rupp Roadsters. (I was a Honda 50 guy - three speed baby!)

I like Ridgeline's and I suspect they actually meet MOST people's actual requirements for a truck. Trucks can sort of become an "arms race" it seems. (Says the guy that lusts after Super Duty Fords :))
  17. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I am a “Less is More” guy. The arms race of trucks is way out of control. I saw a 1987 2WD Chevy Silverado with 184,000 miles on it for sale tonight. Single cab with an 8 ft bed - because that’s pretty much all they made back then. I know you can still buy that configuration but the overall size of this truck is what I think a pickup should be.

We are staying in a small mom and pop motel tonight. A guy has an F-150 double cab with the 6.5’ bed and there’s barely room for anyone to get into the parking lot the damn thing is so long.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    All right. I know this doesn’t compare to a pile of Hoosier racing tires but it was the best I could come up with(a collection of used oil filters).

EC6E4383-167D-4E93-8A3D-32F60615D85F.jpeg

5115C9DF-2EDC-4B33-92C1-E90BF4B0EA46.jpeg
    jdfog2 and radianrider like this.
  19. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    In which I decide to get lunch in Nashville, IN, I don't get fish tacos and I almost eat a jeep.

It feels like a lot of this summer I have had obligations, or opportunities, to help other people. When I did have a free day it was raining. I finally had a day free of obligations and decided to take a solitary run to Nashville via backroads. The rain has kept EVERYTHING green and lush. Usually much of the area is dry and brown, but central Indiana is particularly beautiful this year.

I took the Scrambler because I wanted to get a longer ride in with the new suspension to get a better feel for the changes. I've done a couple of things to it this summer and I think it is finally about where I want it. I put a bench seat on--which raised the riding position a bit, so I put bar risers on to get the original riding triangle back. I put Fox shocks on the rear and progressive springs with preload adjusters just recently.

This was the longest ride with all the changes completed and the bike feels really, really good. I didn't realize how much I was tensing my muscles in anticipation of harsh jarring moments from the stock suspension until I didn't need to do so. The ride is much improved and I'm enjoying the bike even more.

I stopped for gas in Martinsville and heard somebody yell, "Badass!"

I naturally assumed he meant me, but it turns out he was complimenting the bike.

There is a lot of construction in the area as the state works to extend I-69 from the south. I was looking for Mahalisville Road again, but had to take Cramertown Loop Road. Felt a bit of an affinity to the road.

Hit 135 in Morgantown and headed south to Nashville. The road was freshly paved and it was a great ride into town. It is never easy to find parking in Nashville, but the town has helped the situation by forbidding parking on main street. (Sarcasm.) I had decided to eat a Big Woods, a small local chain that started in Nashville. I like the fish tacos at the local Big Woods and was anticipating them at the home store.

They don't sell them at the Nashville store. So, pulled pork it was.

I was just getting geared up when a young couple pulled into the parking lot on a Ducati Scrambler. Really pretty bike. We chatted for a while (you'll see their picture in the Relive video). She is the floor manager and he is the kitchen manager at Bynum's Steakhouse in Martinsville. Nice couple and they really love to ride.

The best part of Brown County is that there are no bad roads. Lots of twisty roads with elevation changes and old farms and buildings. Great riding once you get off the main road.

The return ride got a bit more exciting then I wanted in the middle of Martinsville. I had the green and I turned right to head north. Just as I rounded the corner a Jeep coming south decided to turn left in front of me. The parking slots along the street are angled to make it easy to turn into them as long as you are heading in the correct direction. You have to turn more then 90 degrees to get into the slots from the opposite side of the street. The anti-lock brakes kicked in and I missed his front bumper by less than a foot when we both stopped.

The lady behind him honked, but not because he almost took me out. She was annoyed that she had to stop. I just rolled on the throttle and cleared the area and counted myself fortunate that I was able to keep moving.

The rest of the ride was relatively peaceful. I stopped in Brooklyn (not much in comparison to its namesake in NY) to get some water. My daughter and SIL heard me talking about my ride out west when I needed water and couldn't find any. They gave me a nice thermos to haul on the bike and I stopped to enjoy some very cold water before finishing the ride.

I look forward to getting to ride with some of you soon, but I really enjoyed the solitude today.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vevW2oYpPyq
    JB2, 72 Yamaha RD350 and jdfog2 like this.
  20. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Joel (and other Joel thread followers)
    Hope you're all doing well!
    J