Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  2. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Everything is going well. On vacation in New Mexico at the moment. Rented a 4-seat RZR and had a day of fun in the desert.

Missed my bike in Santa Fe today.
    JB2, jdfog2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  3. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you're having some relaxation buddy!

Sorry you missed your bike. That could make a good Country Song.
    "I miss my bike"

Have a good trip !
    Jay
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Back from New Mexico and back on the bikes. Took the Scrambler out yesterday before the temps went up. Nothing special on this ride--just my usual wandering near New Salem and back through Danville.

Had to mail somethings today, so I took the KLX. It always amazes me how much this old dual-sport bike is. Spend most rides just grinning my helmet. Nice that something so underpowered and slow is so much fun. Relatively cheap thrills are good!

Came out of the Post Office to find a guy looking over the bike. Seemed like he knows bikes as he asked if I had a manual cam chain tensioner on the bike. I asked if he rides and he said he has a couple of bikes, but hasn't ridden in years.

He has a '69 (I think) BSA 250cc single and he just picked up a Honda Silverwing at the Restore store in Avon. Restore, for those that aren't familiar, is sort of a Goodwill for building and home products. The proceeds go to Habitat for Humanity.

I got his card and may try to get him to let me take some shots of his BSA. Needs restoration, but I'd love to see it.
  5. MondayDad

MondayDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I apparently need to visit the ReStore more often!!

Bob
  6. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Me too!
  7. MondayDad

MondayDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't like scooters.... :-)
  8. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I don't? Never rode one!
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Out wandering around near Greencastle and Heritage Lake this morning. Took the Triumph.

Happy to say the changes I've made this summer are all to the good. New seat, bar risers, rear shocks and progressive fork springs for those keeping score at home.

Bob and I were supposed to hit the road tomorrow for a longer ride, but his schedule fell apart. Think I'll spend the day on the KLX near Brown County.

More on that after I get back tomorrow
    JB2, 72 Yamaha RD350 and jdfog2 like this.
  10. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Wish some of you were riding with me today. Found some very entertaining and quiet roads from Martinsville to Nashville.

Lick Creek Road was freshly paved and has lots of elevation changes. I'll probably go back the same way just because it was so much fun.

Stopped for lunch at a Mex place in Nashville.
    jdfog2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Good day in the saddle!

I wasn't sure about going because the skies looked really dark to the south when I got enough gumption to look this morning. The radar app was mostly showing weather to the southeast heading east, so I thought I might be okay. Threw the rain jacket on the rack, but left the pants home. Figured I wouldn't melt.

The situation reminded me of the episode of The Office when Michael drove into the lake because the GPS said to turn. I was trusting the app over my own observations and could have ended up in the lake, but it worked out. Got hit in the face by three fat raindrops when I was almost home. Ironically, the sky looked almost clear at that time.

The ride got a lot more interesting when I got to the east side of Martinsville. I hit Cramertown Loop and then made it a point to find roads I haven't ridden in the past. Lick Creek Road and Helmsburg Road seem to be an alternative to the usual way to get to Nashville. Most times I've use 135, but it is usually busy, so these roads were a much better way to go. Puts you right on Main St. in Nashville with much less drama. Beautiful roads.

I left Nashville and headed south on IN-46 toward Bloomington. I didn't really want to head toward Bloomington--way to busy a road when I'm on the 250--but I figured I could find some roads off the to north. I did, but...

First I hit something called the Yellow Wood State Forest. The first road was pretty sketchy. The Scrambler would have done it, but I was grateful I was on the lighter bike. It was pretty steep and a bit muddy and the KLX was just the better choice. That road just ended after about two miles and I had to turn back.

The next right turned into Green Valley Road. Aptly named. Beautiful road. Turned into gravel, but this one was obviously more traveled than my first effort. [​IMG]

It doesn't look to impressive in the shot, but I stopped on a less rutted section to take the shot.TThe next dirt section was less aggressive and I had a good time on it. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It turned out to be a big loop and it put me back on 46. I headed back toward Nashville and took Helmsburg Rd back to Lick Creek Rd.

I stopped in Martinsville to get a break (I'm starting to get helmet squeeze in a helmet I've ridden in for a couple of years--makes no sense, but there you have it) and almost had a disaster. I had noticed the KLX was a bit less than enthusiastic about starting this morning. I put it down to lack of riding time on it and not keeping it on the charger over the summer. Figured riding it for several hours would resolve the issue. Forgot to turn the key off after using the kill switch and the bike would not start after just a few minutes.

Saw that the parking lot was slanted and pushed the bike up to the high point. Managed to get it bump started and just headed home. Looks like a new battery is in order for the bike. Not sure how old the one in it is, but I don't want to get caught out with a weak battery again.
    jdfog2, JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Rode up to meet JB2, BHuff and Gentleman Jim at JB2's place. They are on vaca and headed for South Dakota. The original plan was to meet and greet at 10, 10:30ish and for them to leave about noon.

Jim called while I was still 16 miles out and said they wanted to leave asap to avoid the heat. I arrived and met GJ and LD, another friend of Jim's. We headed out north and west and I bailed out when 18 and 19 split.

Told them I felt like the kid with no money watching his friends chase down the ice cream truck as they headed out.
    JB2 told me about a restored has station on my route. [​IMG]

Back home about three. Hot out there today.
  13. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Ironically, the ice cream truck is wandering past the house at this moment.

Last time he came through he was playing Christmas music! Nothing like "O Holy Night” to get kids to buy ice cream.
    JB2 and jdfog2 like this.
  14. jim a

jim a Adventurer

Oddometer:
    8E1E3135-3B0A-4F69-99C4-D132B99F1E4A.jpeg A2C73DAD-5053-4F64-B75D-BB14797EB012.jpeg B091AFE8-3979-420C-8E9C-935B83A82D7A.jpeg Great to finally meet you Saturday, arrived in South Dakota Monday. The boys are headed home tomorrow.
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    It was good to meet you.

Looks like you had a good time in SD. Wish I could have gone along with you guys, but the employer would have been cranky. Maybe in a couple of years!

Have a safe ride home.

Joel
  16. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Hats off to you guys pounding out big miles on the Indian Scout Bobber and SCR900. (It's expected of GS/GSA guys.) :D:D:D
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I'm missing out on some decent riding weather. Back screwed up and I'm off the bike until I can stand up again.

Sigh.
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I hope you get better soon. Summer is fading quickly in the Northland.
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Mike. Not as severe as it has been, so maybe another week if I'm lucky.

You are a lot further north, but the evenings are getting cool here. You don't have much saddle time left, but fall riding can be fun.
  20. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I went on what will probably be my last long ride of the season today. I put down some miles on your behalf. Will post pictures and text tomorrow.