Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Spent part of the weekend in MI with some friends--but no bikes.

Fortunately, arrived home in time to get a couple of hours in late Sunday afternoon, but only took one picture.

You may have noticed I have a thing for old barns. So, here's an old barn with a silo!
    [​IMG]

It really was good riding and even a bit hot. Unusual for October, but you know these days have to be coming to an end. Highs in the '50's predicted for the weekend.

I continue to be impressed with the Scrambler every time I ride it. Guess that's a good thing, since it will be in the garage a long time.

Time to start dreaming about a ride around one of the Great Lakes? Hmmmm. At least up the west coast of Lake Michigan maybe?
    JB2 likes this.
  2. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    One side is as good as the other regarding Lake Michigan. M121 & M119 on the east side are both awesome rides. Good riding on the west side starts north of Milwaukee. Gentleman Jim, Bhuff and I did a loop starting on the Mississippi River then cut across Wisconsin to Bayfield and started our Great Lakes journey there. Anyway you slice it there is some great riding in the area, especially in the U.P.

Your Triumph BTW, is one of the very few bikes I've ever thrown a leg over that it felt like a bike I had been riding for a very long time. Great seat and riding position. You have a keeper.
  3. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife and I drove most of M22 from Ludington to Frankfort(?) this summer on our vacation. We did not drive the peninsula out to Northport and back. My father loved the eastern shore of Lake Michigan from Muskegon to Petoskey and I can understand why. Unfortunately, most of our family vacations there were when I was too young to remember much.

It would be good riding if you get the right weather. Otherwise, some rain and possibly cold are likely even in the summer. It was barely above 60F and raining when we rolled through Traverse City on August 15th.

I've driven highway 41 from Terre Haute all the way to Milwaukee. It was a novelty but can't say I'd recommend it on a bike. I've not been north of Milwaukee on the west coastline.

There is good scrambler riding (unpaved forest roads, lots of sand) up in the state and national forest in the UP. Don't ask me how I know... I did get passed by a guy on a Super Tenere.

My Strom is asleep for winter as of yesterday. Enjoy the few riding days you have remaining.
    JB2 likes this.
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    How did I miss this reply?

I think I created some confusion with the east/west thing. I meant the west side of MI, which is the east side of Lake MI. :)

Not much interest in riding near Chicago--too crowded for me.

I spent my high school days in Cadillac, MI and my friends and I wandered around the Manistee, Ludington and Traverse City areas in my old '69 Galaxy 500 convertible. It can be cool in the summer, but it is usually pretty warm.

Lots of Forest Service roads in the Manistee Nat'l Forest, but LOTS of sand.

Took your advice (before I knew you wrote it) today and wandered a bit. Fall break on the campus so I had some time.

Put all three layers of my Transition jacket on (unlike the trip to Battleground when I only thought I did) and headed west. I just find fewer cars out that way, so when I don't have a lot of time I tend to head that way.

Hit Lizton shortly after noon and stopped at the Rusted Silo BBQ joint for pulled pork.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure "Grand Opening" is the right term--I've been hearing about the place for months.
    Has a pretty rustic vibe and the food was good, and that's all I cared about at the time.
    [​IMG]

Headed southwest after lunch and hit a few roads I haven't been on before. I kept the speed down for a couple of reasons.
    1. It is rut season and the deer get kinda' crazy. Didn't want to be cooking along and have a forest rat jump out in front of me.

2. 72 Yamaha's comment about "few days" left to ride is very accurate. I wanted to enjoy every minute. Absolutely managed to do that today. The Triumph ran great and I again just enjoyed a bike I didn't have any expectation of owning back in June.

I may upgrade the front shocks this winter. TEC sells progressive springs and pre-load adjusting cartridges for a pretty reasonable price. Supposed to be more comfortable and there are times when the stock setup can be a bit harsh.

Hope to get out for a bit tomorrow.
    JB2 likes this.
  5. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - Glad to see you went for the BBQ! I just looked at the newly upgraded Street Scrambler. It has a few more ponies and a little less weight. If I were buying a bike today it would be a tough choice between it and a left over KLR. Hell, I would almost buy your bike just for the seat and the corner carving capabilities!

It is an excellent time of year to be riding and even though I have too many irons in the fire at the moment its good to live vicariously through your reports. Keep it up!
  6. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    And that's the difference between riding in Indiana versus the Northland. Those panniers on my VStrom stay on pretty much all the time. I have a three layer Olympia jacket and two layer Olympia pants. Whatever layers I'm not wearing, no matter what the temperature is at the moment, are in the left pannier. 71F is the magical temperature - at or above I'm comfortable with one layer until it gets above 90F.

I disconnected the battery from the Strom on Sunday. I had put it away for winter but had too many things to do that day to disconnect the battery. It will need a rear tire in the Spring and that's something I could do over the holidays... but it is so much easier to leave it until Spring.

I picked up new skis last week. I got a new pair of Nordica Navigator 85's leftover from last season for 50% off. I really wanted 93's but they are stupid expensive even used. These Navi's came from a local ski shop that caters to an ultra wealthy area nearby. So I'm sitting on the sidelines hoping that Summit county gets ten feet of snow before the end of October. Copper intends to open 11/16. We haven't decided yet but I think we're going to Loveland this season unless the wind blows us off the mountain.

Sometime soon I'll start dreaming about where the Strom should take me in 2019. Fairbanks AK is the ultimate but I'm not sure my posterior can last that long.
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Haven't set the Scrambler up for the battery tender yet, but that's coming before long.

We're headed to Boyne Mt. at some point, but I wish it was Copper--I love that place.

I'll take a look at the Nordica's. Never owned a pair. Mostly Kastle and K2 here.

Thinking about adding the Givi side rack from the Street Twin. Only use one side, but it would expand the luggage options.
  8. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I've been satisfied with my 37 liter Givi trekkers. They make 48 liter ones but I didn't see the need for that much space. They add some weight as a pair with the rack but I rarely carry anything of any significant weight in them. But they greatly increase the utility of the bike.

My infatuation of the week is an Indian Chieftain. I'll likely have several other bike infatuations before Spring.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Developing those infatuations is a direct result of spending time looking at motorcycling websites. :lol3

It has been beautiful weekend for fall riding in central Indiana. It has been fairly cool, but that justifies the money spent for layered gear. Fortunately, this was fall break on the campus, so I had some time to ride.

I had been wondering if the high pipes on the Scrambler were going to be a problem if I needed to wear my rain gear. Decided to find out before I needed to be warm and dry during a rain event, so I layered my riding jeans with my rain pants today. Served two purposes--see if the high pipes were going to melt the rain gear and serve as a wind block on a cool day.

Good results all the way around. Pants emerged unscathed and I was warm for the hour and a half I was out riding.

Been a weird fall here. Usually the leaves have entirely changed color at this point, but most of Indiana is still green to a large extent. I had to search to find trees with color for these shots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You know I like to shoot old broken-down barns, if you've been following along for long. They always take me back to the people who invested time, effort, and use into these old structures. How much effort did it take to build them? What sacrifices had to be made to put up the structure? What would the people think about the state of the structure now?
    [​IMG]

Not all of them are falling down--they've had additions
    [​IMG]

Not many days left this fall will be a nice as this one was. I was only out about an hour and a half (other commitments,) but it was a great time of riding.

Hope your day was as good!
    JB2 and B10Dave like this.
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    With farm income on the rise the last few years many farm families up here have chosen to put new roofs on their old barns to carry them into the next generation. It’s mostly nostalgia and aesthetics as the structures don’t serve a functional purpose anymore as most farmers dropped all animal husbandry. Old barns can’t store modern equipment. But they are beautiful and improve the landscape more than ginormous metal equipment sheds.

We went from 80% leaves on trees on Friday to 20% by the end of today. It was really windy and cool. Youngest son was home from college so we spent a lot of time together. Wife is in Utah for her 76 year old mother’s wedding. Yea, puzzle over that one.

Tomorrow is a special day for me: I’m going to see the Pacers play! My dad was a sports junkie but we never went to a Pacers game. I grew up idolizing the ABA Pacers. I was living in Phoenix and raising kids by the time they achieved respect in the NBA. I ignored the NBA until last season when winter would not quit and I watched highlight reels to get me to Spring. I decided to mark attending a Pacers game off my bucket list. It’s the only time they play here all season. It may not be Bobby Leonard, Mel Daniels, and George McGinnis but it’s still the Pacers.
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Sorry the Pacers didn't bring it for you. Saw they lost one. :)
  12. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    The game was effectively tied throughout the first half and then the Pacers slid behind and never recovered. Olidipo was their highest scorer in the first half and then could not hit the broad side of a barn from anywhere in the second half. They took him out for awhile in the 3rd and rested him for several minutes into the 4th. Came back in and could no longer even see the barn. Sabonis was fun to watch though and he was in for most of the 4th.

The game itself was enjoyable although we had to keep reminding ourselves to watch the action on the floor and not the jumbo-tron. The jumbo-tron is so big and high resolution that it is hard not to be distracted by it. However, I was grateful for it while the cheerleaders were on the floor. Speaking of which, the cheerleaders were out greeting fans prior to the game. I don't recall ever being welcomed by such a beautiful group of women so scantily clad doing such a good job of pretending to be happy to see me. That alone might have been worth the price of admission!

The downside of the game was being subjected to three continuous hours of rap music at a very high decibel level. It gave me a headache that wouldn't quit.

Although I had a great time with my oldest son (28) and youngest daughter (23) who went with me, the rap music is enough to keep me from attending any future games. And in fairness, I would have the same objection if it was any other type of music at that volume.

Arapahoe Basin and Loveland opened last week with effectively one run each. Not enough to justify a two day trip yet but I'm monitoring the open trails list.

Get some riding in for me. We've hit the freezing point the last few mornings here.
  13. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Have you had any issues with your Triumph? I am going to go ogle a Tiger 800 and 1200 next weekend.
  14. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Been following along here and wanted to say how much I’m enjoying your thread and excellent photos! Thanks for taking us all along, that’s a beautiful area you’ve got to ride around!
    I’ve been stopping by the local Triumph Dealer lately and boy that Tiger 800 XR has really caught my eye! Might make an excellent stablemate for my Street Glide LOL!
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    '72 Yamaha and Firenailer,
    Not sure why the forum stopped letting me know when people reply, but sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

I have not had any issues with the bike at all, but there is a service bulletin out about the wiring harness being too tight around the headstock. I had read about that issue on the TriumphRAT forum. I'll likely wait until spring to get the work done since the closest dealer is two hours away.

Other than that--no issues. I thought I'd really miss the SV (which has more horsepower--about what the 2019 Street Scrambler does,) but I don't. The SV is a great bike, but everything is more refined on the Triumph. The seat is comfortable for longer rides, the power is right where I want it, I can stand on the pegs comfortably, the EFI is fantastic--no surging and it starts and warms up easily--and the riding position is comfortable right out of the shop. The larger tire on the front is more stable on gravel/dirt roads and the bike is just confidence inspiring.

I wouldn't turn down a 1200, but I don't feel like I missed out on anything by buying the 900. This bike just hits the sweet spot for me. I do like the additional suspension travel, but I'm not likely to ever really need more than what the '17 offers. If I did, I wouldn't want a bike that heavy in the rough stuff anyway.

There isn't much they've added to the new 900 that I feel like I need either. Wider front forks and a rain mode? Eh.

Haven't seen the new 800XR in the flesh, but have no doubt it is a great ride.

I only got 1650 miles on the Scrambler since July, but I have loved every second of it.

Bought a new helmet the other day (wanted quieter and better access for glasses) and had the bike out for about 30 minutes. Already looking forward to next summer when I hope to get a lot more miles in.
    B10Dave and JB2 like this.
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Firenailer! Glad to have you along for my mild adventures.

Never ridden a Harley, but that many riders can't be wrong. The Tiger would sure add an option to your riding!
    bandres27 likes this.
  17. bandres27

bandres27 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you oughta come over and ride some of the loosenut this weekend
  18. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Hadn't heard of it until your post. Had to look it up.

Hmmmm....
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Trying to work up the will to ride to Turkey Run State Park to meet up with some of the Loosenut Ride riders. The low '30's temp is making it difficult to get out of the living room.:lol3
  20. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Started out and made it to North Salem. Cold, but warm enough to keep going.

Started feeling like I wasn't feeling good. When you start trying to figure how long you'll need to get the helmet off to avoid hurling into a new helmet-time to go home.

Maybe next year.

Still not feeling well, but at least I'm home.