Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that was a scary day or two for you. I can't fathom that fear of knowing it might be the moment.

I've had my moments on skis. I didn't learn how to ski until February of 2016 so I suppose I had a lot of catching up to do on what might have been if I'd had the opportunity when I was younger.

The irony of that 83 mph was I did it on a long green run with a relatively constant, low grade of descent. If you keep your skis on edge, take advantage of every topological feature to increase speed, and never scrub any speed it turns out to be a whole lot more relaxed than 60 mph plus on a steep blue or black where you have to expend a lot of energy and concentration just to stay in control. Aside from the deafening wind noise, that high speed cruise was fine until the skis started chattering. I took that as a sign to reel it in. I had done several mid-60 mph runs beforehand and I didn't sense this one was any different up to that point. Only the GPS knew at the time.

Copper has the US Ski Team downhill training run and I got to do that once. It was probably the single most memorable run I've ever done. I definitely want to do it again only at a more controlled pace than the first time. I'm content now to ski the way I ride my motorcycle - conservatively, relaxed, and with the time to be as aware of my surroundings and risks as I can possibly be. Things can still go wrong but there's no need anymore to even go near the line between courage and stupidity. I can leave that to others. Maybe I've matured or maybe I've watched too many Skier Dan or Jerry of the Day videos on YouTube.

In any event, it was +6F this morning and motorcycle riding isn't on my calendar for quite a while.
  2. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s -6F this morning in the other -apolis. Has been around 32F until yesterday. Saw you got more than a bit of snow. We’re supposed to get some on Monday.

Skied a beautiful cloudless blue sky sunny 30F Tuesday at A-Basin with my oldest son. First time there. Was ok. The morning first runs began at 10F but it warmed up quickly.

Skied Wednesday at Keystone in overcast and snowing conditions. A few inches of new snow smoothed things out quite nicely. I have to say I enjoyed Keystone more this time than November. More runs were opened, more runs were groomed including some long Blacks.

Not sure if I’ll make it out one more time this season or not. Travel stuff going on for work. Customers visiting the week I’d typically go West.

All this to say it’s going to be at least two and a half months before the bike moves out of the basement and into the garage. But wife has been talking about getting her riding permit and taking the MSF course this summer. A HD salesman put that idea in her head while we were at a dealership in December.
  3. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    So far the advertised snow-pocalypse has not lived up to expectations. All rain here so far, but may get to use the snowblower yet.

My ski boots broke in half during my last trip, so I ended up getting some new Head boots. Hope to get to use them yet this year.

Mostly just walking past the Scrambler (now with matching tank and tail bags) and wishing for warmer weather, but at least we aren't at -6 yet. Each day that passes is one day closer to riding season!
    72 Yamaha RD350 and B10Dave like this.