Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that was a scary day or two for you. I can't fathom that fear of knowing it might be the moment.

I've had my moments on skis. I didn't learn how to ski until February of 2016 so I suppose I had a lot of catching up to do on what might have been if I'd had the opportunity when I was younger.

The irony of that 83 mph was I did it on a long green run with a relatively constant, low grade of descent. If you keep your skis on edge, take advantage of every topological feature to increase speed, and never scrub any speed it turns out to be a whole lot more relaxed than 60 mph plus on a steep blue or black where you have to expend a lot of energy and concentration just to stay in control. Aside from the deafening wind noise, that high speed cruise was fine until the skis started chattering. I took that as a sign to reel it in. I had done several mid-60 mph runs beforehand and I didn't sense this one was any different up to that point. Only the GPS knew at the time.

Copper has the US Ski Team downhill training run and I got to do that once. It was probably the single most memorable run I've ever done. I definitely want to do it again only at a more controlled pace than the first time. I'm content now to ski the way I ride my motorcycle - conservatively, relaxed, and with the time to be as aware of my surroundings and risks as I can possibly be. Things can still go wrong but there's no need anymore to even go near the line between courage and stupidity. I can leave that to others. Maybe I've matured or maybe I've watched too many Skier Dan or Jerry of the Day videos on YouTube.

In any event, it was +6F this morning and motorcycle riding isn't on my calendar for quite a while.
  2. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    It’s -6F this morning in the other -apolis. Has been around 32F until yesterday. Saw you got more than a bit of snow. We’re supposed to get some on Monday.

Skied a beautiful cloudless blue sky sunny 30F Tuesday at A-Basin with my oldest son. First time there. Was ok. The morning first runs began at 10F but it warmed up quickly.

Skied Wednesday at Keystone in overcast and snowing conditions. A few inches of new snow smoothed things out quite nicely. I have to say I enjoyed Keystone more this time than November. More runs were opened, more runs were groomed including some long Blacks.

Not sure if I’ll make it out one more time this season or not. Travel stuff going on for work. Customers visiting the week I’d typically go West.

All this to say it’s going to be at least two and a half months before the bike moves out of the basement and into the garage. But wife has been talking about getting her riding permit and taking the MSF course this summer. A HD salesman put that idea in her head while we were at a dealership in December.
  3. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    So far the advertised snow-pocalypse has not lived up to expectations. All rain here so far, but may get to use the snowblower yet.

My ski boots broke in half during my last trip, so I ended up getting some new Head boots. Hope to get to use them yet this year.

Mostly just walking past the Scrambler (now with matching tank and tail bags) and wishing for warmer weather, but at least we aren't at -6 yet. Each day that passes is one day closer to riding season!
    72 Yamaha RD350 and B10Dave like this.
  4. bbrz

bbrz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Joel, not sure if it was in the Sunday, or Monday edition of the Indy Star. A short story about Hoy Vintage Cycles in Brownsburg. You had taken us there before.
  5. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Haven't read the article, but I'll look it up!

Steve and crew are good guys. I don't have a vintage bike any longer, but the shop is a great resource for people wanting to keep old bikes doing what they were made to do!
  6. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    While it was -30F at my house last week, I got to see people ride motorcycles and lane split in Southern California while on a business trip.

Too busy to stop and look at bikes but did stop at the Petersen Museum which had a motorcycle exhibit. Wasn’t great but it beat letting the dog in and out during the Artic blast.

Wife went to the motorcycle show with me this weekend. I saw a Triumph Scrambler there just like yours - same color too. Odd because Triumph doesn’t support the show in Minneapolis. I don’t know if they do in other cities.
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Thought we had it bad at -11.

It seems that Triumph has not supported many shows. Frankly, it seems they are not doing a great job of supporting their dealer network either. Hope they get it turned around here in IN. Be nice to have a dealer in the area.

Hang on, spring is coming!
  8. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    Good to see you're still out plonking around, Joel! Long time, no see!

Did you get out on Sunday?

The roads were filthy and wet, but you have to take what you can get in early February.

[​IMG]
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Hey Brian! Been wondering how you were doing. It has been a while--maybe a couple of years? Think we bumped into each other at the motorcycle expo.

I did not get the bike out on Sunday. Just so much sand and salt that I decided to wait. Kinda' regretted it, but we were running around doing things most of the afternoon anyway.

Did you ever find your wife the bike you were looking for at the expo?
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I don't know why people in Indianapolis freak out over -11F - it's not like it has never been that cold there before. There was a -22F day in January of '85. January of '84 bottomed out at -20F and '82 at -17F. If you ask me, I think all these young people are taking Global Warming for granted. ;)

We got four inches of dry snow yesterday. Supposed to get 6-8" more tonight. Maybe -17F on Saturday morning. That's fine. It's February. We've turned the corner. Daylight is getting longer each day.

I still have at least one more ski trip out West to squeeze in.

I'm going to take a Tiger 800 XRT out for a test ride this Spring. I've always thought that 800cc was the perfect sized engine for a single rider. And it has cruise control which is hard to find below 1000cc. But that lack of Triumph dealers in the US is worrisome.
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I agree with you. The freak-outs because winter happens is a bit much. Spent a lot of years in northern Maine and northern Michigan and you just deal with what comes.

We had similar weather in the early '90's and we drove to WV and went skiing at Snowshoe. One run down, buy some more clothes. Rinse, repeat until it was bearable.

Tracked snow into the condo from the balcony and it never melted. Bedroom made up for by topping out somewhere near 200 degrees. :)

Ahhh...good times.

Riding season is coming!
  12. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    For some reason, she's really in love with the Canam Spyders. She loves those things, but I haven't gotten her to a demo ride yet.

Plus, they're stoopit money expensive. I'm used to KLRs and V-Stroms, and Spyder money is a whoooole different ballpark. And with her work schedule, she'd never have time to ride the thing anyway.
    radianrider likes this.
  13. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Have you seen the new one? Much less expensive and looks like a lot of fun.
  14. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I hadn't seen it yet. That pricing will make it more attractive to a LOT of people. Price drives a lot of decision making, so this makes sense.
  15. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I don't know what things are like down in Hoosier Land but winter is hanging on tightly in The Northland. We had our snowiest February in recorded history and supposedly getting more on Saturday. So what's a motorcycle rider to do?

I sent my Strom seat off to a fellow in Florida who does custom seats. We'll see if that improves the 45 minute comfort level. If it doesn't, I'm not sure what to try next. I'm not in love with the looks of a Russell Day Long nor the $600 price.

I'll be installing a Kaoko throttle lock before the riding season starts... assuming the seat is a significant improvement.

I made a trip plan for riding to Fairbanks, AK. Not sure it's going to happen but what else do you do when it's -14F outside on the first Saturday in March.

Another Minneapolis to Indianapolis round trip ride will likely be the evaluation for the new seat. The AK trip requires 500 mile days for many days on end to fit within my working man's schedule.

I'm on what is likely my last trip out west for the winter season. Let's see if these pics from A-Basin will load.

IMG-1583.JPG IMG-1576.JPG IMG-1586.JPG
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I bought boots and skis this winter, but my last two ski trips were to Perfect North. 400' vertical of the finest Indiana slush last Saturday.
  17. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I didn't feel too good on the slopes this morning so I called it a day at 11am (just as the blizzard was letting up; have never skied in such poor visibility - maybe 150ft tops) and went back to the hotel for lunch and a nap. Woke up feeling better, did some work remotely, and then decided I'd give it another shot. Keystone has night skiing so I got in about four hours before calling it a night at almost 7pm. It had been snowing hard since 4pm It's not like the lighting is great - more like just enough to get by. I ended up on a couple linking trails that were completely dark for a hundred yards or more.

I had never heard of Perfect North until you mentioned it, but a Hoosier boy in a gondola ride today told me about it. His mom got on a chairlift with me and we skied her last run of the day together and she didn't hold anything back. I've been exercising a lot of restraint this season after last year's accident. Had to unloosen it a bit just to keep up.

I have never skied at night so I wanted to hang around until it was fully dark. Still snowing hard so the lights didn't penetrate far and the runs are very wide. I was coming down a blue in the dark between a pair of lights and something felt odd as I weight shifted to turn and had just enough time to glance down and for my brain to recognize "where did my left ski go" before I bit it. I wasn't going fast but I pitched forward and did a respectable belly slide before coming to a stop. My ski was 30ft uphill and a person behind me brought it down to me. Nothing but a bruised ego but as I continued down the mountain I thought of how hard the same fall would be off a motorcycle.

IMG_1595.jpg IMG_1597.jpg
  18. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Been a long time since I did any night skiing, but I always loved it. Far fewer on the runs to contend with and just a lot of fun.

We did hit Boyne Highlands over New Year's, but I was too tired to go out at night.

Love your pictures. I am going to HAVE to get out there next year. Love Copper, but might try some Utah slopes next time I'm out there.

Been a long time since I crashed at speed and I'm betting I don't bounce like I used to. Really sure I don't want to do it on skis or bike!

Think we need an advskier site.
  19. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    It snowed 9 inches at the lower elevations of Summit County overnight and nearly twice that in the high passes. After spending 30 minutes digging my rental out I thought I would ski 2-3 hours at Keystone and then head out.

I arrived at Keystone at 9 am to a completely full main parking lot. Contrast this to less than a quarter full at the same time on Wednesday. Obviously the powder hounds were out in force.The shuttle lots had not been plowed and the shuttle buses were parked.

I was not going to get stuck and shovel out a second time. So screw it.

A-Basin did not open. Last I saw there was a line of parked cars in the road facing a CDOT plow preventing them from going any further.

I-70 was closed at Copper due to an avalanche hitting the gas station causing a gas leak. Copper was opening late.

Breckenridge closed off their mid-mountain lifts and said there would be reduced food & beverage service.

Loveland looked to be open but packed full.

I learned at dinner tonight that they closed I-70 EB at Silverthorne shortly after I got on. CSP was closing I-70 WB at Empire when I passed.

In short, Summit County was a mess.

I had lunch in Denver with some friends and went to the Wings Over the Rockies aviation museum. Cool place. On the way there a guy pulled up behind me on a newer Triumph T100. It was sunny and 57F!

We get 4-8 inches of snow on Saturday and then it’s getting above freezing.

Got a note from the seat mod guy that he received my seat and will have it back to me by the 18th. Curious to see how it works out.

ADVRider needs an ADVSkier thread for those of us stuck in winter regions.
  20. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Too bad about the missed skiing, but sounds like you could have been stuck for a while if you'd stayed. (Not that that would be bad.)

I can't wait for a sunny, 57-degree day. I'll have mine out!

Are you working with Spencer on the seat? Location and timing sounds like what I've heard about his operation. I thought about sending my SV seat in before I found the Meyer seat I bought. Curious to see what you think. The folk on SVrider.org said he did good work.