Stinky Stelvio

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Pb4uRide, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Pb4uRide

Pb4uRide n00b

Oddometer:
    Yo, Stelvio Riders;
    I have 1200 miles on a new 2015 Stelvio and it always smells like burning oil (or plastic or paint or something too hot), when I shut down? What gives. I have never found a leak, not a drop of oil, it doesn't appear to smoke when running. I have read that the exhaust system would give off a burning smell on a new bike, but I would think after 1200 miles it would dissipate by now. It has been doing this from day 1. Jeez, when I visit someplace, somebody always says: "What's Burning!" Anybody else have a Stinky Stelvio?
    Should I be concerned?
  2. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Likely a bit of assembly lube on/around the block or some oil got on the header/pipe. If it's that big of an issue for you, wash the bike w/ dish soap and water and ride on...... :dunno

-SM
  3. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    Perhaps the clutch "bedding in"?
  4. Utrider1

Utrider1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine did that too. It goes away after a little while. I think it's the clutch also, look at it as "that new car smell" now with 2 wheels!
  5. ffash1212

ffash1212 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No that is not what it is. It is a crankcase vent that has come away from the air box. You will need to follow the vent line from the case aground the steering stem over to the other side of the bike then into the airbox. The fuel tank will need to be removed.
    Frank
  6. ffash1212

ffash1212 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry aground = around
  7. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't stink. Frank may be on to something. Where is the oil level on the dipstick with the stick unscrewed and just resting on the threads and the bike upright, (As in on the centrestand.)?
  8. TransMaro

TransMaro Professional driver on a closed course.

Oddometer:
    You sure it isn't using oil?

My 2013 tore up a valve guide at 600km in.

Smelled just like that and burned 1l of oil between tanks.

Piaggio decided to dick me around for three months waiting for a new head, it was an exhaust guide so I took it back from the dealer and rode the shit out of it until the parts showed up to do the repair.

It hasn't used a drop since the new head was put on.