Stinky Stelvio

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Pb4uRide, Dec 19, 2015.

  1. Pb4uRide

    Pb4uRide n00b

    Joined:
    May 26, 2014
    Oddometer:
    1
    Yo, Stelvio Riders;
    I have 1200 miles on a new 2015 Stelvio and it always smells like burning oil (or plastic or paint or something too hot), when I shut down? What gives. I have never found a leak, not a drop of oil, it doesn't appear to smoke when running. I have read that the exhaust system would give off a burning smell on a new bike, but I would think after 1200 miles it would dissipate by now. It has been doing this from day 1. Jeez, when I visit someplace, somebody always says: "What's Burning!" Anybody else have a Stinky Stelvio?
    Should I be concerned?
    #1
  2. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Likely a bit of assembly lube on/around the block or some oil got on the header/pipe. If it's that big of an issue for you, wash the bike w/ dish soap and water and ride on...... :dunno

    -SM
    #2
  3. WitchCityBallabio

    WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,473
    Location:
    Wales, Massachusetts
    Perhaps the clutch "bedding in"?
    #3
  4. Utrider1

    Utrider1 Been here awhile Supporter

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Oddometer:
    484
    Location:
    West Haven, Utah
    Mine did that too. It goes away after a little while. I think it's the clutch also, look at it as "that new car smell" now with 2 wheels!
    #4
  5. ffash1212

    ffash1212 Adventurer

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2014
    Oddometer:
    14
    Location:
    EVERETT, WA
    No that is not what it is. It is a crankcase vent that has come away from the air box. You will need to follow the vent line from the case aground the steering stem over to the other side of the bike then into the airbox. The fuel tank will need to be removed.
    Frank
    #5
  6. ffash1212

    ffash1212 Adventurer

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2014
    Oddometer:
    14
    Location:
    EVERETT, WA
    Sorry aground = around
    #6
  7. motomoda

    motomoda Long timer

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2016
    Oddometer:
    1,761
    Location:
    Oz
    Shouldn't stink. Frank may be on to something. Where is the oil level on the dipstick with the stick unscrewed and just resting on the threads and the bike upright, (As in on the centrestand.)?
    #7
  8. TransMaro

    TransMaro Professional driver on a closed course.

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Oddometer:
    418
    Location:
    Langley, B.C.
    You sure it isn't using oil?

    My 2013 tore up a valve guide at 600km in.

    Smelled just like that and burned 1l of oil between tanks.

    Piaggio decided to dick me around for three months waiting for a new head, it was an exhaust guide so I took it back from the dealer and rode the shit out of it until the parts showed up to do the repair.

    It hasn't used a drop since the new head was put on.
    #8