Stock 2003 LC4 ADV handlebar rise?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by BlitzBike, Apr 5, 2005.

1. BlitzBike

BlitzBike LC4 Pilot

Oddometer:
    I believe he is referring to item #11 on for the one inch riser but, I already have
    1-5/8" inch and its not enough.
  2. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    item 11? Looks like a motor mount? :dunno

Item #: 58003012000
    SPACER ROLLER 10,3X20X22
    Quanity On Diagram: 2
    Cost Each: $8.78
  3. Velocibiker

Velocibiker Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm 6'5" and have 30mm bar risers+Patrana FX ProTapers, Fastway pegs and a Bill Mayer saddle. I'm finally comfortable - sitting or standing.

Still working on making an adjustable height auxillary windscreen. I'm having probs getting some parts/bits to make it work tho. I don't know anybody nearby that can fabricate for me so I'm having to try off the shelf parts. It's a tedious process. I sure wish there were some local shops like those really cool junk places the MythBusters go to.

BTW - AussieRob, if you have a Lee's Discount Liquor around your way, ya can pick up some Cooper's (Coopahs). Pale (green label), Extra Stout (Yellow label) and whatever the red label is. VB is OK, but I actually pefer Southwark Premium. Just can't find it anywhere. [sigh]
  4. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    Part #93 on the skidplate replaces part #11. Now you can use #11 as a bar riser but you'll need longer bolts and it will only raise the bars an inch.
  5. BlitzBike

BlitzBike LC4 Pilot

Oddometer:
    I got some questions for you:

1) Any issues fitting the fastways? 2) Describe the Bill Mayer seat: Does it take out the dip up front (level profile)?, and is it wider?
    Does it have Gel? How much did it cost and where from?

I don't see the LC4 listed on the fastway fitment chart and I seem to recall some riders complaining about fitment issues on one side??
    Although that was a while ago so maybe its not a problem now since you seemed to have got them on ok?
  6. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    i'm not going to give any input here coz i'm quite happy and comfortable with my 30 mm rise and stock bars, but..... as i mentioned when you pm'd me before swamby... you lemme know how high and i'll make 'em for you.
  7. Velocibiker

Oddometer:

1) YES!!! Absolutely sucked on the RH side. I used a 625 peg hanger. (I wrote a full review here a while back.) I'm sure a search will drag it up.

2) Again - wrote up a full review w/pics here. But yes, I got rid of the 'dip'. It was one of things I hated most about the OE saddle. No gel. Got from Bill Mayer Saddles (.com). About $350 IIRC. Worth every friggin cent since I rode there and had him make it custom to fit my backside and riding style. Just something off the shelf would have had to be reworked anyway.
  8. BlitzBike

BlitzBike LC4 Pilot

Oddometer:
    O.K. Thanks Loaded, I'm trying help myself decide with input from this thread.
    You can check out the current riser set-up I have under the thread entitiled
    "New Scotts damper mounting for KTM" by KTiM. BTW Do you have a stock seat or boejangles on your bike?
  9. BlitzBike

BlitzBike LC4 Pilot

Oddometer:
    So the 625 hanger was the only part required? (I understand it was PITA---I guess that is why I remembered to stay away from the fastways but, the rearward positions sounds attractive until you break one and have to do it over). Did you have to put the 625 hanger on both sides to make the pegs align semmetrical?
    Do you remember the title of the previous fastway thread? Haven't been able to find it yet.
  10. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    wonder if two would be a liability? oh loaded, better find this before I jump of some other pier... :lol3

50mm would need longer cables I believe.
  11. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    NO PICS: YOU NEED EM? what about the new fastways for the 950? :ear

12. BlitzBike

BlitzBike LC4 Pilot

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I forgot about the 950 fastways...from the schematic it LOOKS like the 950 hangers etc.. are different so I'm not sure if they are gonna be cross compatible or not with the 640? Seems like they would sell them as cross compatible if they were but, who knows?
    Thanks for the above instructional--looks kind of intense for a foot rest install.
    I guess I'll call fastway and see if there is a 625 or 950 version that will work without all that grinding hassle.
  13. Velocibiker

Oddometer:
    Off-hand, I don't remember who I ordered the pegs from. What I do recall was the fact that they said it would "fit no problem" using the 625 peg hanger. Yeah, right. Oh well, live & learn. Still, I love 'em now that they're on. It was just really really frustrating to me since I went in "blind". You have my write-up above to guide you. You could make sure to have all the bits & pieces on hand to start. All that would be required was a little work with a grinder.....
  14. BlitzBike

BlitzBike LC4 Pilot

Oddometer:
    If the stock 2003 Maguras are the MX version (105mm) then the Pastrana FMX at 121mm are only contributing a little over a 1/2" rise!! Where are these 1-1/2" added rise quotes coming from??? Am I missing something or are the stock bars lower?
    IF the above is correct, then with my 2" boejangles seat rise, I will only get back to stock level ergos +1/8" with my 40mm(1-5/8") risers and pastrana FMX(+1/2") bars!!! 1-5/8" riser+ 1/2 bar rise= 2-1/8"- 2" boejangles= +1/8" rise over stock
  15. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    i have a 2003 "comfort" seat.
  16. BlitzBike

BlitzBike LC4 Pilot

Oddometer:
    Where did you get the info that the stock Maguras are the 105mm "MX" bend??
    This is crucial because until I know for sure the stock rise, I cannot calculate my custom rise accurately.
  17. K2ride

K2ride Single track mind!

Oddometer:
    Here you go; the specs are on page 4 & 5. :1drink
    http://www.maguramoto.de/lenker.pdf
  18. Skinskier

Skinskier Future Mr. Mom

Oddometer:
    I just installed the Fastway pegs on my 1998 400RXC using the 625 peg hanger on the left side. As the instructions said, the gap on each side is different. The right side is 31.73 mm and the left is 30.3 mm. I ordered my pegs directly from Fastway (talk to Randy) and they gave me two different size adapter inserts (Fastway calls them collars). I didn't need to grind on the top or bottom but I still had the problem of the hanger being too shallow. I had to grind away some metal away so the peg could pivot freely. It was a little work but not a total pain in the ass.

It turns out to be about a $200 modification but I like the feel of them and my bike's ergos are better with them in the low boy position.
  19. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Magura and Pro-Taper's numbers don't really work for comparison purposes.
  20. BirtDike

BirtDike Like herding cats

Oddometer:
    Just to revive an old thread with some updated info...

I recently found this thread when I was looking to make my bike more comfortable for long days spent standing (I'm riding it through Africa). I found it very useful, and so thought it would be a good thing to pop in a quick update, and some comparison photos.

Handlebar first:

I ended up getting a Pro Taper ATV High bend. As far as I can tell, this is the same as the Pastrana FMX bend, but is a bit wider, which I prefer. Here's a comparison photo with the original Magura bar:

[​IMG]

This bar has made a massive difference to the feel of the bike. To be honest, I don't like it when I'm sitting, but standing is MUCH more comfortable. If you're tall and are going to be standing a lot, then I give this the big thumbs up! :thumb

Now the Fastway peg swap:

The newer 640's come with the 625 peg hanger already installed, but the same problems with installing the Fastways persists.

First step is to grind a tiny bit off the collar of the peg (the bit that the peg's pivot pin goes through), so that it fits between the sides of the peg hanger. The harder part is to allow the peg to sit deep enough into the peg hanger to allow it to pivot, and to get the pivot pin in in the first place!

Here's a couple of photos showing what had to be removed, and a shot of the peg after it was removed. I had an engineer do it on a mill, and it only cost me a few beers to say thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bottom left hand corner of the peg hanger (as shown above) has to be filed a little bit with a round file as well - just enough to allow the peg's camber bolt enough room to get past.

While on the subject of the camber bolt, I had to cut the head of mine off, as it protruded too much from the peg body. I Loctited the bolt thread into the peg body, with just enough protruding to set up the right angle. The bolt I'm talking about is the one on the bottom of the front on the pic below:

[​IMG]

It's a bit of hassle, but is it worth it? To be honest I'm not sure, but they are definitely more comfortable. The 10mm drop (I measured off the desk with the hanger unmounted) isn't that noticeable, but I prefer the pegs to be a bit further back as they are now, as it allows me to hang my foot lower while seated. Here's a comparison shot:

[​IMG]

Overall it's quite an expense to do both these changes, but it's made a big difference to the bike. The bars make the biggest improvement when standing, and the pegs the biggest when seated. The make a pretty good platform when standing too, but then I didn't have any problems with the stock pegs...

Anyway, just thought I'd share the love.

BD