Stock Seat...anyone keep theirs?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by docgonzo, Mar 13, 2002.

1. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    I'm sure this has been discussed before on the list, so I apologize if this is redundant.

The first 100 mile ride I did on the stock seat of my new 2002 GS was very painful. Seemed that my butt was going to sleep, with two much pressure near the coccyx.

While I spent some time researching new seats, I continued to ride the bike, now up to 1400 miles (in two weeks). Surprisingly, the seat seems to be getting more comfortable each 150 miles I add to my riding experience with the bike.

It's as if either my seat, or my butt, is breaking in!

I have been riding more aggressively as I get used to the bike, and have been moving around more on the seat.

The last ride I did, I was actually starting to like the seat.

Anyone else find that the stock seat "breaks in" and becomes a fairly comfortable platform?

later, barry
  2. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    I like the stock seat as well. I'm good for at least 8 hours. I find that if I wear jeans, the seams create pressure points I find uncomfortable.
    What works for me on long rides is a pair of sweatpants instead of the jeans under my roadcrafter suit. Smiles for miles!
    Santa
  3. Arbey Canuck

Arbey Canuck Ageless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm stock also ... and find my seat to be good enough. Doesn't mean I don't have uncomfortable moments during an 8 hr ride ... but changing positions takes care of that ... like putting my feet on the back pegs etc...

I've never had an after market seat ... ever!!! So I guess 33 yrs of riding with stockers ... has left me less demanding ... and my butt fully broken in!!!
  4. moon

moon Space Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I've tried having a custom seat made by one of the myers bros but found that I prefer the shape of the stock seat. I don't like being stuck in one position and the dished seats tend to force you to do that. Also I found that leather is very slippery and who needs a material that needs to be protected from rain.
  5. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Barry, I'm using the stock seat with the spacers (about a 1/2") in the front to take some of the forward slope out. Works OK up to about 200 miles, then my butt is toast :(: I can't take it any more! The stock seat has just under 3k on it and it doesn't seem to get any better after about 1500/2000 miles. :bash

I've got an appointment with Bill Mayer Saddles (Rocky) next month to get my seat done. :thumb

Greg
  6. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    I just don't have $500 for a more comfortable seat right now. At about 6K miles my stock seat was blown (small bumps in the road would cause my ass to bottom out on the plastic seat pan). So I took one of the Therm-a-Rest sport seats ($20) and stuffed it between the foam padding and the cover. I can adjust the pressure, and that is a cool feature. I works well enough that I can save my pennies, and after a Remus exhast system the next thing will be a saddle upgrade.

Patrick
  7. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
    I used the stock on the RT for 12k miles. :cry Even did the IBA SS1000 on the damn thing:(: . It did seem to break in. But, I did switch out for a Sargents.

much better!! :thumb
  8. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    I use stock seat too, but I have modified it with sheep skin covers and adjusted the angle of it by cutting down the stoppers under neith
  9. armadillo

armadillo Sandtrap

Oddometer:
    I bought the BMW comfort seat and am happy with the results. Cost about $225.00 I think. Much less than other aftermarket seats. I recommend it.
  10. supercreep

supercreep _______________

Oddometer:
    corbin baby! :thumbup

these dudes will tell ya that the fugly day long seat is the way to go but i can do 1000 mi days and get off my bike with a smile :smile6 on my face. it may cost a few bucks but what's the point of spending big $ on a bike that hurts you after a couple of hours in the saddle?
  11. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    I've had mixed results with the corbins, really nide and comfy on some bikes, suck-ass on others..

I did the cheap Yankee fix, like many of the others, Aluminum blocks up front to level it out, then a cashel pad for some cushion, then a sheepskin for some breathing room.

Works. Cost me about $100, plus a 1/2 hr in the garage.
  12. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I wonder why BMW hasn't come out with a comfort seat for the GS. The RT comfort seat is waaay better than stock.

I'm running a Russell on my GS now, and it's quite comfy, but slippery (leather). I'm thinking of having the Wool Table guys in Canada do a sheepskin for it.

The stock GS seat does break in, and works nicely with a sheepskin or an airrider, or whatever those medical bladders are called. Plus they're waterproof. Seatjacks work well.