Stockhom to Istanbul through Eastern Europe- advice needed

Discussion in 'Europe' started by viatormundi, Jul 16, 2007.

1. viatormundi

viatormundi Citizen of the world

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I am planning to drive from Stockholm to Istanbul starting the 9th of August. When I arrive to Istanbul, I will join other riders and we will do the Agirabiler Turkey Rallye 2007 (more infor here).
    I plan to take the ferry from south of Sweden to Gdynia in Polen the night between 9th and 10th of August. The preliminary route is the following:

• Aug 10: Gdynia-Krakow. Polish friends, I need you advice here, which route would you recommend that is suitable for motorcycle driving and less crowded. Anybody lives in Krakow that I can get a shelter at ? Or can you recommend a good place to sleep and park the bike safely)
    • Aug 11: short visit to Auschwitz in the morning and drive to Debrecen in Hungary. Is Debrecen a nice place to stay? Any accomodation suggestions or someone I can stay at?
    • Aug 12: Debrecen to Ruse in Bulgaria. I am not sure about this route and its length, maybe I should spend one extra day in this area of Transylvania, I assume there are many good roads. Again a route suggestion would be appreciated. I have tent with me, I can also stay in camping.
    • Aug 13 or 14: Ruse-Varna-Burgos and Turkey.
    This is the trip roughly, as usual, I plan to report my whole trip.

I am looking forward for route and accomodation suggestions. If possible, I would like to meet other advriders on my way.
  2. LC8rider

LC8rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope this helps my friend. We stayed at the Hotel Galicja in Oswiecim last summer. It is a very nice biker friendly hotel and is about 15 minutes ride from the Auschwitz camp I. A good base if you want to see Auschwitz. You can book for the Auschwitz tour from the hotel (cheaper), this will include a short return coach trip (15 minutes) to Birkenau camp II from camp I. If you give the gate guard a few euros he will watch your bike and gear for you (he put our gear in his cabin).
    The hotel has secure parking in lockable garages which they do not charge for. Web site is www.hotelgalicja.com.pl One thing I do advise though, go early, take a camera and allow a full day there, you won't regret it.

From Poland and Oswiecim, we headed for Zakopane which is a ski resort and a bit too commercial really, but worth a quick visit. From here you then head over the Tatry Mountains into Hungary (northern Hungary is no where near as nice as southern Hungary). We stayed in Miskloc at the hotel Levay Villa Panzio. Very nice again with secure parking www.hotels.hu/levayvilla Next stop was in north west Romania in the large town of Satu Mare. We stayed in the Dacia Hotel, right in the centre square. They allowed us to park in the hotel lobby for security! They had a wooden ramp for us to make the step up which tells me we weren't the first:lol3 . Be prepared for beggars to come up to you in traffic on your bike. Many of these are very poor people and you will be swamped if you show any form of compassion. Just be polite but firm. Web site is www.hoteldacia.ro Take any local gossip with a pinch of salt, when in Germany we were warned of Polish Mafia, when in Poland we were warned of Hungarian Mafia, when in Hungary we were warned of Romanian Mafia etc...
    The rest of our route is different to yours as we went to Austria soon after. Have fun, wish I was coming with you.
  3. viatormundi

Oddometer:
    Mark,
    it definitely helps. Thank you so much for all this info.
  4. stupidyank

stupidyank Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you organized a carnet? If so which company did you use and what sort of money does did it cost?
  5. viatormundi

Oddometer:
    Carnet is not needed for traveling through these countries.
  6. chif

chif Bukowina, inima mea!

Oddometer:
    You shouldnt worry about romanian part of the trip even though there are some beggers or some pure people on your way. We just have a natural talent to take advantage of some human wicknesses. Just don't be too naive or too stupid to believe shits and you'll enjoy your ride without any problem.
    From Debrecen to Russe, in RO, don't miss Sibiu, Sighisoara, Brasov (Poiana Brasov), Sinaia (Peles Castle). For any support, don't hesitate to contact me:
    Chif, cell: 0040720306464, (bukowina_motor_club@yahoo.com)
  7. viatormundi

Oddometer:
    Dear chif,
    thx a lot for your advices. Since I have a long journey and thus limited budget, I plan to stay in campingplaces along the route in RO. I found some alternatives in eurocampings website. I assume that these campings are safe. Or would you recommend a different accomodation type?
  8. chif

Oddometer:
    The campings are safe, no problem. If you could calculate some rest points in RO along your route, I could try to give you some advices about that. Just try to point some towns where you'd like to camp and I'll try to find something for you.
    Cheers, Chif
    :beer
  9. viatormundi

Oddometer:
    thx chif, i will do that and inform you about in which areas and possibly camping places i plan to stay.
  10. Bill@Mission

Bill@Mission Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are some vry cheap hotels en route too - just make sure you're bike is locked up. There is also a british run B&B in Brasov - forget the name.

In addition to chif's post - don't miss the Tura Dacilor (pronounced shura dachilor) in poiana brasov - was very cheap and among romania's finest restaurant at one time - last time i was there so a guy lugging a lion cub around in his arms in the car park - ah - the wild east!
  11. Bill@Mission

Oddometer:
    Am spus multi ori - Romania este fuarte bine pentru motocilleti - drum si fara drum - avets fotografuli?

Disclaimer - this post was written without a romanian keyboard and with scant regard to romanian grammar - any resemblence to it and modern romanian is purely unintentional :lol3

By the way, viatormundi - if any one offers you palinka - don't drink it - use it for chain cleaning and stick to beer or romanian wine which is good especially the deaul mare region. Both your stomach and chain will thank you for it!
  12. viatormundi

Oddometer:
    Chif,
    it looks like my route through Romania looks like the following:

[​IMG]

I guess, I will leave Debrecen early, drive until Cluj Napoca and stay in a camping place.

I found following campingsites on eurocampings.net site:
    • Complex Camping Dirste , DN1 km 160 Cale Bucuresti 285
    • Vampire Camping, Str. Sohodol 77C 507025 Bran
    • Camping Panorama, Str. Brasovului 219 117630 Rucar
    Any suggestions among these camping places?

Then I plan to continue driving towards Rousse in Bulgaria early next day.
  13. viatormundi

Oddometer:
    Thx for your advices Bill.

Do you remember the names of any of these cheap hotels around Brasov?
  14. AGIRABI

AGIRABI The World Is Mine

Oddometer:
    Remember what Henry Ford said :

I am not rich the buy cheap stuff

:lol3
  15. Bill@Mission

Oddometer:
    Sorry - completely forgot - but not too hard to find. One if them just of the main square in town - will ask the wife.
  16. chif

Oddometer:
    I'd recommend you to stay in Complex Camping Dirste. From Debrecen to Cluj it's too short. Cluj Napoca is a very important cultural center in RO but not touristic. I'd say you to leave early in the morning from Debrecen heading Complex Camping Dirste in Brasov. Brasov area is very beautiful. I'd recommend you to visit Peles Castle in Sinaia, on your way to south. Sura Dacilor is indeed a very nice place to eat and see, in Poiana Brasov, near the town of Brasov. It's a pitty to not try palinka, even for chain :)) Drink palinka (in restaurants, not bought cheap from the shops, in bottles) just before you eat, in the middle of your meal and after that, 50ml each. You'll feel much better, because it's natural and around 60 degrees strong.