1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Stolen bike from FSBO

Discussion in 'Canada' started by JimmieA, Jul 2, 2013.

1. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is third hand info and maybe old news to some but I thought I would throw this out there (and I don't have all the facts).

What I guess happened is a member of our local union had a motorcycle for sale on Kijiji as I understand the story. The bike was mint and he wanted $6000 firm. A guy shows up at the house and says I have $5500 and my wife has gone to get $500 to make up the $6000. The guy trys out the bike up and down the driveway a couple times and than just drives off with the bike to never come back. The owner calls the cops and is told that this has happened a lot. The bike is gone.

If this has been happening a lot it would be good to be aware of the latest scam I guess. I myself have had a half dozen people want to pay with Western Union or PayPal but not this one.
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing... I can't imagine having the conscience to pull that off. While I did allow test rides on a couple bikes, the buyers car was left in the driveway.

Even thinking about that though, what if the buyer stole the car and I let them ride the bike off, leaving the robbed car behind???

Not only buyer beware, but we're certainly in a seller beware world as well.
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle endorsement on the DL and cash in seller's hand for test rides. Sorry to hear your "brother" got taken.
    Crash/damage it = bought it; here's a bandaid for your ouch and the signed over title.
  4. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I sold three BMWs recently and didn't let anyone go for a test ride. A couple of people balked, but that changed nothing. The bikes sold for near the asking prices.

Back when I was very young I borrowed my brother's bike without telling him. In the park a guy asked if he could try it out. He gave me his wallet to hold as security. Only after he was long gone did I realize it was a stolen wallet.

Never again!
  5. JimmieA

Oddometer:
    To make matters worse buddy went to the insurance and they are allowing him $3000 for his $6000 bike. At least he had some insurance.
  6. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Scumbags on both sides, theif and the insurance company. Hopefully he knows how to prove the bikes real value. I used to work in insurance, he doesn't have to take what's offered.
  7. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Throw your iPhone under the seat or in the bags for the test ride. Don't them things have a locator app???:evil
  8. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Good idea. Maybe your wallet too. Wouldn't want to be left with any valuables. :lol3

A Spot in tracking mode would let you see the bike's location with your iPhone.

But I like my solution better - no test rides.
  9. OneEffinName

OneEffinName Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No test rides - hah! - I am walking away.

What are you hiding by not letting have a test ride?
  10. H e a d N o r t h

H e a d N o r t h (take the high road)

Oddometer:
    If someone is not willing to trust a seller to hold the cash value of the asking price while he test rides, he's likely just betraying his own lack of trustworthiness.

(see Freud / projection)

11. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    No problem. You don't trust me. I don't trust you too.

But I have a lot more to lose than you do. The bikes I sell come safetied and with all the service records.
  12. OneEffinName

OneEffinName Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    still aint goinna happen with out a test ride - do you offer a warranty? :rofl
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    As near as dammit. There was nothing to hide about the bikes I sold and that's why I haven't heard anything but good news from the buyers.

If I know you, I'd let you try it but if you're responding to a KIJIJI ad, there's no way.
  14. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Buyer can watch me ride it or leave a security deposit of asking price in cash along with DL and keys to the car he came in if he absolutely must ride it, oh and he can sign the bill of sale before he rides off. Should probably leave his wife with me too.:lol3

Too many shady bastard out there.
  15. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    If someone is truly interested in buying one of my bikes, I'll discuss selling price and if they want to take a test ride.......supply me with the full selling price in cash and then go for your ride.
    I am an honest seller and have nothing to hide...so a test ride should reveal nothing that is not apparent......if you crash my bike.......it's now yours!

Cheers
  16. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Really? I always let folks test ride and would expect the same if I am buying a bike or car. 1000's of vehicles get sold this way each day...one in a million get stolen....maybe I am naive but I think a bunch of you sound like paranoid freaks :nod
  17. JimmieA

Oddometer:
    I think the key to this scam is that the buyer is at your house alone, no vehicle to leave behind when he steals the bike. They size up the house of the seller first for some reason then the wife drives off, leaving the man behind. The story was she was going to the bank for $500. There is a trailer a mile away and the bike is loaded on it and gone.
  18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you won't get your bike stolen. :lol3

As a kid, I was devastated when my brother's bike was stolen from me by someone who "just wanted to try it out". Never again.

For a friend, no problem. For a stranger, too bad. If that person won't buy it, someone else will.
  19. H e a d N o r t h

H e a d N o r t h (take the high road)

Oddometer:
    Requiring cash in hand before a test ride also weeds out the dufusses (dufii?) that are just poking around and have no intention of buying.

20. 1Bonehead

1Bonehead Fearless of Falling

Oddometer:
    Cash in hand, signed waiver stating they drop it they bought it with their DL #or no can do.