Stolen Bike Recovery

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by TWC4, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would it be worth taking the VIN to the local bike shops & mechanics?
  2. skipcurt

skipcurt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hate to say it but being that close to the border there’s a good chance it has crossed.
    RugbyRef and CaptUglyDan like this.
  3. beemerjim

beemerjim Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just curious, if you care to discuss it, how was it stolen? I worry about mine, but really don't do as much as I could to deter theft all the time.
  4. tankshooter

tankshooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry for your theft. Mine was stolen in NE San Antonio on the 2nd. Even with good coverage from a well known company I'm still working through the process. My nwxt ride is getting GPS and two different style locks.

Mine was taken from directly under a Walmart camera up against the building behind a row of carts.
  5. TWC4

TWC4 FULL TILT BUGGY

Oddometer:
    Mine had a GPS on it. A Garmin, I've spoken to them and it's a receiver and they are unable to "track" the device. Unless you are talking about a GPS tracking device which I am looking into now as well.
    tankshooter likes this.
  6. TWC4

TWC4 FULL TILT BUGGY

Oddometer:
    Ya. I've thought of that as well.
    Cheshire likes this.
  7. TWC4

TWC4 FULL TILT BUGGY

Oddometer:
    That was the first thing I thought but the Auto Theft detectives think otherwise. we shall see.
  8. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Fire/theft/vandalism IS comprehensive.
    People don't use the term properly. You are referring to not doing 'full coverage'.
    Themastermike and sieg like this.
  9. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I meant collision, which is the proper term. I keep confusing the two... collision and comprehensive.

From Geico, the insurance terms:
    • Liability Insurance - Insurance that provides protection from claims arising from injuries or damage to other people or property.
    • Comprehensive Physical Damage Coverage - Pays for damage to your car from theft, vandalism, flood, fire or other covered perils. This coverage is subject to the terms, limits and conditions of your policy contract
    • Collision Coverage - Pays for damage to an insured vehicle when it hits or is hit by another car or object, or if the car overturns. This coverage is subject to the terms, limits and conditions of your policy contract.
    Oddly enough full coverage is not one of their terms, so I take it they just see full coverage as when one has all three coverages. They are each separate coverages on the billing.
  10. RugbyRef

RugbyRef Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @TWC4 - for future consideration you might want to look at this - https://us.americaloc.com/gl300mxw.html. I have used this technology for quite some time on almost all the bikes I have owned. Thankfully (luckily), I have not had to worry about a stolen bike...yet.

Tim
  11. motoclimb

motoclimb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    5 months from now, when you get a call at 2am, answer it. It might be the police trying to give you a chance to pick up your bike before the wrecking yard impounds it for the weekend and charges you $500+ to get your stolen and rashed up bike back.
    Dirt2007 and bearcat1 like this.
  12. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    And they only call you once!
    AMHIK
  13. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is exactly what happened to me 25 years ago! I retrieved my Toyota truck that way. Thanks Dad for getting out of bed in the middle of the night to give me a ride there!

I hope you get your bike back, thieves are scum.
    Rockred likes this.
  14. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    People that steal other people hard earned possessions are the worst form of lazy there is. You want a bike, earn o the money and buy it for yourself.
  15. sprink

sprink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Once in a while you just get lucky. My room mate's bike was stolen. A couple of weeks later the police called and said it had been found. Thief for some reason rode across an empty lot a couple miles from our apartment. It was laying down in tall weeds with little damage.
  16. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    I once had a bike stolen, twice. It was an old Honda Nighthawk 650, one of the good ones with the shaft drive and fuel gauge (and hydraulic lifters!). Nice bike. Got thieved right out of the front of my house. Mrs. Steingar saw it a few days later sitting on the street. She went to the local donut shop to find a cop, and he called more cops. Cops in cars, cops on foot, a couple in bicycles. Lots and lots of cops. Into all this comes a guy saying "is there a problem with the bike?".

Sent the thieves to jail. It got stolen a second time in the suburbs of DC, didn't get it back that time. That was a nice bike too.