Stonyford, CA

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by folmonty, Nov 7, 2002.

1. folmonty

folmonty twins make perfect moto music Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any experience riding in and around Stonyford, CA? I'm interested in the area and thought some folks here might have some insight? Would like to ride from Maxwell over the range to Clear Lake.
  2. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Road306.htm
  3. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Oh, YEAH Baby! :super

Lots of fun stuff in that area. I've done mostly GS stuff on the roads, but am going up there on my XR on 11/16 to hit some of the single track. There is so much, it will be easy to feel like you've just scratched the surface. I don't have my FS map with me, but I'd highly suggest you get one.

Take any way you want to get to Stonyford, then go west towards the OHV area. It starts getting fun when the road climbs the mountains. I believe that this is FS road M10. The way I've gone before is to go via Fouts Springs, then over to Hough Springs near Indian Valley Reservoir. There are many roads and trails, and I forget which ones I took, but it's sure a lot of fun.

Once at Hough Springs, you'll cross the creek and hit a main road. If you turn left (east) you'll head towards Indian Valley Reservoir, which can then take you back to Stonyford, or south to Highway 20. Turning right will take you west, and heading towards Clear Lake, or further into Mendocino NF (you'll need to turn right after Bartlett Springs to head for further NF fun). Staying on the main road will eventually veer towards the south, after Bartlett Springs, and start to climb a wonderful mountain. I was there 10 days ago chasing my brother on his XR650. And I actually out braked him into a corner. Luckily, I knew the road, and had the inside line.

Anyway, this road will eventually top out at Bartlett Mountain Summit. If you turn right, you can go visit Pinacle Rock with it's wonderfull views. Staying on the road will drop you into Lucerne. However, if you make the left turn towards High Valley, you can have some more fun. This road will eventually drop you into Clearlake Oaks, which is a little closer to the Central Valley.

I can look at my map and get back to you tomorrow, if you need more detailed info on the road numbers.
  4. folmonty

Oddometer:
    Cpt. Ron,
    Thanks. Think I'll do some back roads scratching and see what's what. Have a nice map set and GPS to assist me. With your above detail that's all I need to get started. Thanks for encouraging me to check it out. I've got enough info to be dangerous?
  5. folmonty

Oddometer: