Stormtrooper Arrested in Lethbridge Alberta

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Night_Wolf, May 5, 2020.

1. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC

I wish (and kindhearted human nature would mostly like to give the benefit of the doubt) that were the case, however read the news from around the world and look how police forces have been dealing with Covid-19 restrictions and or social resistance - NYPD-London/GB-Various US PD's. Check (Google) the number of urban police forces expanding their use of mounted police for crowd control and urban patrols.

I also have noted that whenever there is any 911 call stating "gun" the police response - RCMP or Muni-PD are trained to use a protocol which assumes it is real and applies full force until the situation has been neutralized.

I speculate (and I give Officers credit that they are trained to do what they are told to do - for the most part) that not following mandated protocol for a "gun" call (even for a Storm Trooper and plastic gun) would result in an officer being officially reprimanded. In other words, using "common sense" would result in a citation and possible punishment for not following protocol.

From a PR perspective, someone recording the incident will just reinforce to the public that if you behave like this, then this is how you can expect the police to respond.

It is just a new and fast changing world, and you have to admit that 2 months ago who would have believed that the governments would tell or mandate that people stay home and then pay them $2K a month to do so or have Ontario/Quebec police fine people for walking in a park by themselves?
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  2. Schussboelie

Schussboelie Kicking up dirt Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's kind of you to look from that perspective but there are quite a few flaws there.
    Without the contents of the actual protocol, it's all just an assumption.
    As you put it yourself, the possible consequences of not following the unknown protocol are also a speculation.

If that's the card police want to play, than from a PR perspective they should share the protocol (or at least the relevant part of it) and the consequences when said protocol is not followed.
    That they show up in full force and with three cars to an unknown situation, fair enough.
    But seriously, once the gun is down (even if it's a real one) this could've, nay should've been handled differently IMO.
    Cal and Night_Wolf like this.
  3. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:
  4. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:

I absolutely agree with your observation 250seuf! .....................and yet this is my entire point - what would once-upon-a-time cause outrage is now considered normal behaviour.

If you watch the videos look at the reactions of the people around the periphery.
  6. farmerger

farmerger Snowed in Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK this makes my blood boil. I get the need to treat a call for a gun/weapon as being serious to law enforcement. It's too bad that the video does not show the entire encounter, and now, without some digging, also has the audio muted. (Curious about that, so someone has decided we the public are not privileged enough to listen to this incident.) I lost my shit when they moved the police truck into the parking lot, not to protect the public but to hide their actions and the outcome of them. What that says to me is that they knew they fucked up but instead of having the balls to owe up to it they are busy hiding and starting the cover up. Makes we want to puke.

On the lighter side, I can't believe nobody has commented that she wasn't a real threat as Stormtroopers are know not to be able to hit anything anyways.
    MGV8, Cal and Night_Wolf like this.
  7. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Or that we'd accept this from a supposedly democratic government. Mandating people stay home, sure but as a temporary and very short term measure because there is a way to work through this and achieve the effect needed. Some government stimulus, yes but JT is completely off his rocker throwing money out like rotten food and fining people, I doubt these fines will ever be collected. Sweden and Romanian constitutional courts have already pushed for laws to cancel all fines.
    shuswap1, Cal and Night_Wolf like this.
  8. Antennas

Antennas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well a lot of comments from arm chair quarterbacks. None of whom have any idea of police training. A gun call is obviously one of the highest threat calls. Why did someone call that in? What did they see? You don't know until you roll up and even then, still need to figure it out.
    If she turned and shot them or others you would be screaming..."how stupid it was a gun call!!!" Ya you would.
    So its a tough situation. Also there is a 1 plus 1 rule where if there is 1 potential weapon there is a good chance there is another. Thats why you get proned out even if you drop your weapon or what appears to be one.
    Criminals will make their real gun look like a toy, so ya now we have to deal with that stupidity.
    Look up nerf gun pistol.
  9. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I don't like armchair quarterbacking any more than anyone else but that kid in the suit was so obviously a kid in a suit I think anybody who couldn't figure that out quickly (and ignored the owner yelling to them) really ought not to be carrying a firearm at all.
    Vikingtazz, yamty175, IJM and 5 others like this.