Stornello on the Slipstream

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by adventurelounger, Sep 11, 2016.

1. adventurelounger

adventurelounger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This summer, I took the plunge on a new Moto Guzzi V7II Stornello scrambler. I kinda did it with the intention of replacing an old BMW airhead. Why? Well, it kinda had to do with birds (in particular starlings), brakes (analog vs ABS), and carbs (drip-prone, like most middle-aged guys).

[​IMG]

If you're even mildly interested, I wrote about it on my motoblog here: http://wp.me/p3QZZ5-De
    Hope you get a kick out of it. And if you're interested in the airhead, PM me!
    shuckinator and falcn like this.
  2. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    Great write up. Expresses my sentiments exactly about the Storny.
  3. adventurelounger

Oddometer:
    Thank you Mr. Witchy. But I think you need an airhead in your stable too. I know a guy who's selling a sweet one...
  4. WitchCityBallabio

Oddometer:
    LOL.

I have the sweetest running, prettiest little (?)1970 Guzzi Ambassador in the garage along with 2 other vintage Guzzis and one Aermacchi. I'm at my vintage limit. :)

Last year on Rt. 100 in Vermont. I've put 55,000 miles on it since I restored it. I love it like a child.

[​IMG]
    twowings, River Rat, Dracula and 2 others like this.
  5. adventurelounger

Oddometer:
    Wow. You sir, are a better stable-keeper than I. Sweet ride, in the sweetest riding state of all! Funny you mention kids. I think of my bikes as extended members of the family, and occasionally talk to them in the garage. I think the airhead's feelings are hurt.
  6. BoatDoc

BoatDoc Easygoing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great! I have a Stornello as well (#162)! I also had a similar vintage Airhead (R60/6) and then an R80. I'm selling my 12GS to pay for the Stornello but keeping the R27.
    The Guzzi is quite sweet to ride as it is light and is well balanced. The suspension could be better however but it sure has charm and character.
    guzzi and gs small.jpg
  7. falcn

falcn Squidless Soul Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice write-up. I didn't even know these existed until I got my recent MCN magazine. Now I kind of want one...and a Desert Sled. and...
  8. chikosneff

chikosneff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody! I wanted to ask Stornello owners an update on their riding experience and I'd like to know if they still recommend the purchase. I was in the market for a triumph scrambler but fell in love with the stornello. I'd use it to ride around southern California, weekend trips occasionally with a passenger. Also what do you think it would be a fair price now that the V3III are coming. Thanks!
  9. WitchCityBallabio

Oddometer:
    It's a wonderful bike. You won't be disappointed. If you do get one, be prepared to answer a lot of questions about it. I find even non bike people are drawn to it.

Old timers love it for its throwback style.

Super easy to maintain, and pretyy nimble. You should take one for a test ride and see for yourself.

Ive seen them revently priced as leftovers for almost 9k which is a pretty good deal.

Good luck with your search.
  10. chikosneff

chikosneff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks ! I'll test ride the Stornello and the 2016 Triumph Scrambler in the next couple days. I'm an Italian living in the US and I'd love to own an Italian bike out here. I think the beauty and character of the Stornello far exceeds the Triumph's. On the other hand I have to say that the size and ergonomics of the Triumph seemed better for me, the Stornello felt ''small''. I'd be also carrying a passenger pretty often and I am curious to know what's your experience riding two up on the Guzzi.
    If you guys are living in the US what would you consider a good deal on the Stornello considering the V3 III are coming soon? Let's talk out the door price.
    Thanks!
  11. bigtex

bigtex Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer:
    I had a conversation with the gentleman above, and answered the following, but I thought a few others might be interested in the answer:

Happy to share my thoughts. I actually didn't do much with the Stornello this summer, trying to decide if I wanted to keep it! I looked at other bikes, but in the end I decided I do want to keep this bike and make it work for me.

Main issue is suspension. It is useless for someone of my size 6'1" and nearing 300 pounds. But it can be fixed, and that is where I am going. I picked up some Hagon shocks from Dave Quinn and they are fabulous. My rear end no longer hurts after 30 minutes and it feels much more planted. Forks are next up, probably in a month or so. Looking at the air kit from Guzzitech. I may look at redoing the seat with better foam, but maybe not - I'll wait and see what I think with proper suspension.

Luggage is not a problem for me. I have a small cheap leather saddlebag that I mounted up on the left side, which holds my toolkit and not much else. I have the factory rear rack, and on that I have mounted a smallish Pelican case. This holds my glasses, magazines, camera, etc. When I travel I use a waterproof duffle across the seat behind me. If I need it, I have a couple of magnetic tank bags I could also use.

Performance is adequate. It will cruise all day at 80mph, but there is nothing much in reserve. 50-60 mph passes are reasonable and safe, assuming you drop a gear or two. I knew what expect here, as I had a V7 Racer a few years back.

I would not recommend this bike for two-up travel unless you were both tiny and didn't have much luggage. Even the base V7 would be better as you could get two proper side cases.

My thoughts, hope they help!

[​IMG]
  12. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a 2016 at Eurocycle Las Vegas listed on cycletrader.com for $6995.00...best I've seen so far...
  13. diegosaenz

diegosaenz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here in illinois they want 12K what a joke!
  14. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    xaman likes this.
  15. mc4x4

mc4x4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really love mine!!! It will take the place of my XR 650l-not quite as off-road worthy, but much better on the old highways. I picked one up new from a nearby dealer for $7490 out the door. You should be able to match this price because they are 2016 models and as said before the v7 IIIs are becoming available as we speak. This is my 3rd Guzzi, the first being a sidecar equipped 850t, and the intermediate one was a v11. This one seems a little better in the fit and finish department and way more modern with fuel injection, abs, and traction control. She is a hoot to drive and very comfortable for the short jaunts I use her for. Nice writeup Joshua. Thanks Jim
  16. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    one thing about this bike, its light! compared to the triumph its considerably lighter
  17. LostViking

LostViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    Coming from a Slash Six, the Goose must seem a wonderful steed. I go back to the R65. A great bike in its own respect. At least for it's day.

The V7s seem to be a fine example of a do it all standard.
  18. Harry Potter

Harry Potter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what's new in the V7lll?
  19. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    It uses the Hemi heads of the V9 series rather than the earlier Herron head design. Apart from that and probably air injection most of the other changes are minor aesthetic or ergonomic mods.
  20. Harry Potter

Harry Potter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. So looking at a left over unsold V7ll would be ok?