Stoves

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ibgary, Jul 3, 2015.

1. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    Cool windscreen on the Primus Class Trail behind the Chef Boyardee can. Where did you get it? Does it pack flat??

Slim
  2. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    MSR Pocket Rocket. Just boil water with it. I use it on my wee sailboat. Planning to use it while camping with the bike. Boat has a BBQ, so it's all I need.
    Lyle
  3. OConnor

OConnor Bad juju

Oddometer:
    I have one as well. Also a an Trangia as alternate. Both pack inside my cookware and I buy whatever fuel I find first.
  4. RomaDakota

RomaDakota Experts agree!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tried most including canister, bottle, multi, wood...
    I do like the old Coleman multi fuels, but they are heavy and bulky.
    I always return to the Svea123. I now carry the Svea and a Firebox Nano; best if both worlds for me.
    motrhead likes this.
  5. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    The MSR Dragonfly burns pump gas better than the Whisperlite I think. As long as I let my Dragonfly warm up to a good blue flame before putting the billy on it doesn't soot up the pot at all on pump gas. White gas is cleaner still though & less smoky & stinky on the warmup, I'll use it if I'll be cooking inside a hut, otherwise it's unleaded, zero stress to keep fueled with that while moto touring.

The flame control on the Dragonfly is great for the camp gourmet and mine has been super reliable, but it is a very noisy stove.

Cheers
    Clint
  6. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    While you're pumping the tank and priming the cup, the china stove will have the water boiled and pan sizzling. Just sayin.... :1drink
    nk14zp, SmittyBlackstone and ibgary like this.
  7. Noprogram

Noprogram High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    The MSR WhisperLite is an excellent stove...reliable, field serviceable great at altitude. I used a WhisperLite international for many years and also the Dragonfly which has a greater range of flame control as well being multi-fuel.

While all great stoves, I found they were overkill for the kind of riding and cooking I was doing so started using a Pocket Rocket with canisters. Superb compact camping stove that was quick to set up and cleaner to use than the WhisperLites which can tend to soot up. The downfall on a longer trip is the reliance on finding canisters in a convenient location (without having to ride into a town to sports store etc) so I bought the WhisperLite Universal which does canister gas as well as being a liquid multi fuel stove. You do have to swap over the jets but it's a simple job and you'd only do it once per fuel type swap over. Gives you the best of both worlds.
  8. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    That's an Optimus clip on windshield. Bought it off of Amazon. Great investment, used it in the wind today actually. That Primus burner got tossed in the garbage - I must have cross-threaded it and stripped the threads, as I had it come loose on a canister and it torched on a picnic table (why I'm now using an MSR Pocket Rocket)... that was an important lesson about canister stoves!

That Optimus clip on windshield keeps it's shape, but stows around the Optimus Terra Weekend HE cookset, and within the matching cozy: http://www.optimusstoves.com/caen/o...us-accessories/optimus-heat-insulation-pouch/ .

From their website: http://www.optimusstoves.com/caen/o...timus-accessories/optimus-clip-on-windschutz/

That's a very compact set-up. Unfortunately the Pocket Rocket is too large to fit in the cookset with the canister.
  9. monkey wrench

monkey wrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:

while your are riding 100 miles back to civilization looking for a store that sells gas canisters, I'll be brewing coffee.

also, the gas canisters don't work well in the cold or at elevation. just sayin'
  10. gbmaz

gbmaz Power Newb

Oddometer:
    I have that same little Optimus cookset and it totally rocks for boiling water. The heat exchanger on the bottom really increases efficiency, to the point that I have lost any desire to get a JetBoil. That cookset with my little cannister stove is only slightly slower than a JetBoil.
  11. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    No kidding, eh! I went camping first weekend campgrounds opened here (08 May weekend), and it was a cool one, almost down to freezing overnight - the canister stove was useless in the morning, and the Trangia alcohol stove had to take over. I looked into this, found this great website... http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.ca/ , and specifically this article: http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.ca/2014/12/canister-gas-in-cold-weather-summary.html

After reading that I bought an MSR WindPro II stove for cold weather operation. Inverted canister operation really puts out the BTUs, works much better in the cold, and you can really run a canister completely to empty (no wastage).
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  12. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Actually the massively greater heat output of most liquid fuel stoves will have the water boiling quicker than a cheap canister stove even including setting up & warmup. I know this because we have raced them :evil

Although the better quality canister stoves, mated with a good canister, are now getting quite powerful, & the jetboil style insulated ones are really quick & easy if you just want a cuppa hot water.

We like to do actual cooking rather than just heating noodles, I don't really like the waste & cost involved with canisters, & running the cooker on the same fuel as the bike makes life easy when touring, so the Dragonfly suits us well. YMMV.

Clint
    nk14zp and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  13. Ramjet10

Ramjet10 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the subject of different fuels - do any of the stoves mentioned run on methylated spirits?

I believe this is known by different names around the world and can vary on the process and additives.

Its very common in my part of the world so I'm interested in how it goes using the refillable containers supplied with many of the stoves mentioned.
  14. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    I'm using Methyl Hydrate alcohol in my Trangia, and Made-In-China Esbit clone stoves. Easily obtainable here and works well.
  15. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    In camp, it's only coffee or soup, so all I need is boiling water... maybe some crackers & cheese. For actual meals...there are still loads of little mom & pop diners & cafe's left, on America's back roads & byways & I aim to try them all. I only stop at big chain restaurants out of real desperation.
    kenbob likes this.
  16. PK2

PK2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ramjet I believe that "our" metho is their fuel for spirit/alcohol stoves. Ive used metho in a penny stove with great results.

Still love my Coleman unleaded though!
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    You may be referring to what's called white gas, or common around here as colman fuel. I use it often...
  18. ruin

ruin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Methylated Spirits is denatured alcohol (ethanol). White gas is Naphtha. The alcohol burning stoves can burn the former, the multifuel/petroleum stoves can burn the latter.
  19. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I agree with the cost and disposal of the canisters, and my Whisperlite does a better job at cooking.

But it is nowhere close to competing to quickness of using a canister stove.

Fuel, pump style stove... Install the pump, then 30 pumps, hook to fuel line, priming, then 45 seconds for the priming to burn off, place pot on burner..

Canister.. Screw on the stove, light. :1drink
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  20. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    You're right... I burn gas line antifreeze in my alcohol stoves.