Stoves

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ibgary, Jul 3, 2015.

1. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got that "china stove". Yes it was a slow boat, about 2 months. It works great and for 6$.

My current go to stove is the alcohol stove, because of fuel availability, size and weight. Boiling water isn't something I need to do in a hurry, I'm camping.
    [​IMG]
    I use the Caldera Cone with the 12-10 stove. The caldera is also fantastic for wood burning. I use wood for steam baking, since I it takes longer.
    Stuart17 likes this.
  2. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    All these cute little stoves are good at boiling water, but we really need is something that will cook a big hunk of MEAT lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank goodness for these in some camp areas :clap

[​IMG]

DW
  3. the_gr8t_waldo

the_gr8t_waldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    lately I've been intrigued by the ESTBIT stoves for short 2-3 day hiking......haven't had occasion to actually seem one in operation, though. I have read reports that the burning tabs give off a smell that some people report as a turn off to appetite. any feed back on this?
  4. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use an esbit stove for hiking.

[​IMG]

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...titanium-folding-solid-fuel-tablet-stove-p789

14 grams

Coupled to an Evernew 700ml Pastapot

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...-pans-c9/eca-521r-titanium-pasta-pot-700-p970

95 grams
    10 gram windshield
    8 gram cuben fibre sack

means a sub 130 gram system.

To boil 650mls of water I use a 14g esbit tab and sometimes need a 4 gram tab to finish off getting the boil.
    On a typical trip I will boil 650 in the morning for muesli and tea and 650 in the evening for ramen noodles / mashed potatoes and tea, so a MAX of 36 grams of fuel per day.
    So let's call that 100 grams of fuel for 3 days + the stove/ pot = 230 grams for everything for 3 days.
    Regarding smell etc... Yes esbit tabs do let off a smell but nothing to get upset about and I personally don't keep my nose 5 cm away from the burning tab so it doesn't put me off eating :D. My esbit tabs are kept in a mini dope bag (you know the little baggies you can seal) inside my pot with the esbit stove as well as mini bic and matches. The tabs DO leave a sticky residue on the bottom of the pot which is easily washed off or scraped/rubbed off on grass or using a stick.
    All in all it's my go to hiking system and I also use it for motocamping when really trying to keep weight down.
    SmittyBlackstone and Jim K. like this.
  5. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have an esbit stove for my use. Used one many years ago when in the Army and just liked the convenience and small pack size. Also nice for burning twigs and stuff when needed.

Speed? Not so much. If cooking or boiling water use a closed lid container (with vents of course :) ) and it will get there a bit faster. A canteen cup half full of water will use a full tab to get it to boil, when covered.

The best thing is it takes up little space. 4"x4"x1" (including 6 tabs stored inside). I take it with me on every trip, even if I don't plan on cooking anything.
    SmittyBlackstone and Jim K. like this.
  6. Dirtwannabe

Dirtwannabe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just recently noticed the current price of a Svea 123!!! I wasn't even aware it was still being made. I think I gave $20 for mine in the early '70's.
  7. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
  8. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
  9. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have one of those with the firebowl.

this
    [​IMG]

turns in to this

[​IMG]

to finally give us some of this :clap:clap

[​IMG]
    nk14zp and dirtdoug like this.
  10. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    See, that's what I'm taking about!!! :thumb

DW
  11. rboett

rboett posser noob 205

Oddometer:
    Optimus 8r rocking since 1972. Coleman fuel can be found at any walmart. Sounds like a little jet engine in the morning, but i assoicate that noise with camping joy.

[​IMG]
  12. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    That's better than any china stove, esbit, or jetboil. I bring a modded bbq grill the fits the top case, and throw it on top of a fire. Usually grill trout or steak.
  13. Kawasakirob

Kawasakirob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For Summer camping and riding I use a Snow Peak GigaPower canister stove. Its made in Japan and has exceptional quality and packs down extrememly small. It has been left out in the rain (and snow) once or twice and after drying out has fired up without missing a beat. Boiling water in a filled to the brim MSR Alpine stove takes roughly 10 minutes.

For the winter I will be obtaining an MSR XGK EX stove and switching from isobutane to white gas (or petrol) so it doesnt freeze. From what I've seen first hand in -15 F temps the XGK is like a jet engine and blows my little canister stove out of the water.
  14. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good points. I'm now using an alcohol stove. I can get alcohol/Heet, etc anywhere from gas stations to hardware stores. It comes in a cheap and conveniently sized container. It leaves no soot. With the Caldera Cone I can burn wood too. But that requires clean up. Size, it all packs down to the size of a 1 liter bottle, that includes the cook set.

15. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
  16. Hawk62cj5

Hawk62cj5 2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer:
    Nice , now what the hell is it ?
  17. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the best is the Swedish Trangia, an excellent design which you can actually cook with as opposed to just heating water. Very simple and durable. Packs down very small with two pans, a frypan and handle +plus the burner inside the burner stand and windshield.
    They now do the same adapted to gas.

I have an ex British Army Esbit Cooker. I use ordinary firelighters/barbeque starters. I only use a bit, the cooking heat comes from a few twigs, the small piece of esbit is just that, a starter. You could probably use a home made cotton pad soaked with paraffin. wax.
  18. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    In regard to the Esbit:

I'm only interested in boiling water. My coffee (or some oatmeal. Ramen, etc.) is all I do at the campsite. There are too many great little mom & pop diners, rib joints, & cafes for me to try out, to invest too much time eating my own feeble attempts. For what I want, the Esbit has served me well for several years now.

Pros: The stove (with 6 fuel tabs) folds into a package the size of a deck of cards.
    The stove & tabs are cheap & readily available online.
    The stove, 12 coffee packets, 24 sugar packs, spork, another 6 fuel tabs all fit easily inside my 750cc kettle.
    There may be some odor. but you have to really try to smell it. This is used outdoors remember.
    A small corner torn off those "firestarter" sticks, works just as well as the official tabs. Or, you can use little twigs or shavings in a pinch.

Cons: It isn't fast, 4-5 min (one tab) to boil 750cc
    It leaves some soot on the kettle
    It's sensitive to wind. I often have to improvise some sort of wind break.

I have brewed up a cuppa in <5 min. on the side of the road with this set up. It takes up virtually zero room & it's cheap, quick, & dirty, which suits me to a tee.
  19. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    my sentiments exactly, since i'm gonna need to get gas i just eat one good restaurant meal a day, in the morning its just a cup of coffee and a CLIFF bar.

any food i do take is shelf stable and tasty w/o heating up if i choose not to, course i usually have a small camp fire so heating anything up sans real cooking isnt a problem.

i just like to keep it light and simple on the bike, i seem to have more fun riding that way.
  20. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    It's a 6 buck china stove. Numerous places have them, amazon, banggood, aliexpress. Don't pay more than 7 bucks including shipping.