Stoves

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ibgary, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Retired Army 2008

Retired Army 2008 Army Mechanic

Oddometer:

What/who makes the brass coffee can looking stoves?

thanks
  2. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    They are the Optimus Svea 123... and the newer 123R which you can still actually buy new. Not too many stoves have their own dedicated Wiki page, but that one does - it's a classic!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svea_123
  3. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like that collection. I have the Coleman 2 burner, had the single burner and the little Colemans. My Dad had that big Coleman heater.

Some people collect stamps or coins. Our collections take up more space, but they are: well I was going to say useful, but I don't use them any more. Kind of like my lantern. [​IMG]
    It works, but my head lamp is smaller, lighter and more convenient.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  4. RRocket

RRocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I REALLY like my Solo Stove. First, you can use any bio fuel. Tree sticks, pine cones, dried manure etc. You name it. Secondly, the way the stove is designed it burns very hot and very complete. It's incredible, really. Third, durable beyond belief (100% stainless steel). It's compact; it fits inside the pot from my GSI Soloist kit. And finally, you can stow a small alcohol burner inside the stove and use that if you don't have access to bio fuel. I haven't run into that problem yet...it seems there's always something that can be used to power the stove. It's a wonderful product. http://www.solostove.com/
    two trackin fool likes this.
  5. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, like my old Coleman 530. This is the original, which I used when I was in the Army
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._pocket_stove

I will be converting to alcohol too. Once I make my stove the way I want :)
  6. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    I've got a buddy that has a couple of those old Military stoves - they really put out the BTUs! I lucked in and picked up two more Coleman stoves recently for a very reasonable price, in good shape too - they all work well, but I am quite impressed by the simmering ability of the Peak 1 with the plastic folding feet. That stove is IMO the best of the Coleman single burner stoves:

[​IMG]

The collection just keeps growing - all of these Coleman stoves work well and get exercised occasionally:

[​IMG]
    9Realms and Retired Army 2008 like this.
  7. r3mac

r3mac Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love my Snowpeak gigapower stove - I'm a heat water for coffee and dehydrated meals kind of cook, but its always worked flawlessly for me.

I bought it to go on the Colorado trail via mountain bike several years ago. There were five of us, the others were using a small wood burning stove that didn't need them to carry fuel. No matter what altitude we were at or weather (rain and very cold early mornings) my setup always had me drinking my coffee while I watched them mess with their setups.

Its been a staple with me ever since and finding the gas canisters hasn't been a problem yet.
  8. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the Exponent 550 B with plastic folding feet for a while. It was great. Very easy to use. Quiet. Clean.

Then within 30 or 40 uses it jammed. The flame control pushes a wire around a few bends in a tube and that jammed open. I didn't see that a repair would last very long in a design like that. I went back to the Svea for a while before getting a Primus.

It's a little like motorcycles; each has advantages and disadvantages. Try different ones.

[​IMG]
  9. 8trackmind

8trackmind Chainsaw Monkey Juggler

Oddometer:
    I see plenty of "stove whores" like myself here. :lol3
    I have way too many.
    • MSR Pocket Rocket
    • Primus Eta Solo
    • Primus Eta Packlight
    • Primus Classic Trail
    • Esbit (Pocket size. I always take it, but never use it)
    • Convertible Esbit stove that uses the tablets, or alcohol
    • Several Soda can alky stoves
    • Sterno stove (I always use alcohol with it, not Sterno)
    • Trangia
    • Several others that are lost somewhere in the abyss that I call a "garage"
    With all that said, the old Primus "Classic Trail" canister stove is what I use the most. It's not great at boiling water quickly, and the valve is a bit fiddly, but you can actually cook with it. It does nothing great but everything well. Plus, no "rocket engine" sound to wake the whole campground at 5:30 AM. :lol3

(Cant see any stoves in this photo, but hey, everybody like a good camping photo, right?)
    [​IMG]

Pocket Rocket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. panhead_dan

panhead_dan This aint jo daddy's Grundle.

Oddometer:
    I've been using my alch stoves as much as I can but they don't work well in any kind of wind. Those Coleman 530's are the go-to stove for me. I just fill them with gasoline when I fill the bike. So many of these world famous stoves make soot. If I wanted to put up with soot I would use a wood burner.
  11. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer:
    The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
    OK, how many of you guys are members on spiritburner?
  12. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, I'm registered on Spiritburner too... same handle there. Was camping over the weekend. Was very windy - glad I'd brought the MSR Windpro II stove along. The canister stoves are like cheating to me - too easy! It sure simmers nicely - I made a nice discovery and found that the MSR Trillium support base fit it well: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/stove-accessories/trillium-stove-base/product

Supper (a pasta dish) simmering away:

[​IMG]

What it's all about... camping with a lakeshore view, coffee on the go:

[​IMG]
  13. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    I've got more stoves than I can remember right now, but I've primarily been using an MSR Whisperlite when living off the bike. It works well, and does the job. Very reliable.
    But I just bought one of the Solo Stoves (Titan). I played with it over the weekend and I must say I'm impressed.
    Not only does it work well, but it's tons of fun to use. It will double as a portable campfire for evening entertainment.
    Q~
  14. RRocket

RRocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Pretty impressive thing, eh? Do you find the combustion is VERY complete? Nothing but very fine ashes left?
  15. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    I received this used Primus Multifuel EX stove in the mail today, and was out in the shed pretty quick to try it out. Works well, but doesn't simmer worth a damn - it's not designed to really. Sure seems well made, a really nice piece of kit. I can see why the similar Ominfuel (which does have fine simmer control) is so popular amongst the hardcore stovies.

[​IMG]

Edit... you may notice a flame veering off to the right in the above pic. It came with wrong jet installed (for Coleman fuel) and the flame spreader was bent - I installed the correct jet, and straightened out the flame spreader - much better.
  16. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Anybody have experience with the Soto Muka? I'm looking for a smaller gasoline stove than my dragonfly (or whisperlite). I want the stove to fit in a small pot.

[​IMG]
  17. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The experience I have is shopping for a Soto Muka just after it was discontinued about 2 years ago. It has returned to the Soto web page but it has been "out of stock" or "discontinued" on every retailer web page since then.

I'd be willing to use a stove without parts support, but I can't find out WHY it was discontinued so fast after such great reviews. The worst reviews mentioned the casting breaking where the leg pivots, but performance seemed great.
  18. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is my newest stove to try. On the test run it boiled 16oz of water in an open canteen cup in a little over 2min on about 1/2oz of alcohol (denatured). I will be using it in Colorado in a couple of weeks. Will report back on how it works. No, I don't cook in camp. I just boil water for coffee or freeze dried stuff.

[​IMG]
    Gamequeazy likes this.
  19. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Bring a shield as that time and fuel amount will quadruple.
    Gamequeazy and Jim K. like this.
  20. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quite right. I actually love my Esbit but it (& the alchy stove pictured) will be wind sensitive. Because I'm obsessive about size (hence the Esbit) I improvise a shield out of whatever is handy....saddlebag, boots, helmet. etc. Unpressurized stoves, especially the tiny ones, need to keep the flame centered under the kettle. Your estimate is about right....a stiff breeze will use 2-4 times the fuel (& mulitply the time to boil by the same amount)
    Maggot12 and Gamequeazy like this.