Stoves

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ibgary, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    My first couple real work attempts had the fuel running out before the water was boiled. So adding fuel and getting it going again to heat up warm water add to the aggravation, and it wasn't a huge deal but enough that their not my go-to stove.

Now i use these.... as fast as burn time as anything or can simmer, no prep/ priming or pre-light. Cheap and small.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    9Realms likes this.
  2. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    I'm sold on my Solo Stove. I can burn sticks for a hot dog fire, a camp fire or pot/pan cooking. I carry a Trangia with it and do most of my cooking on it.
    Being a gassifier stove it burns clean and complete with natural fuel and really pumps out the heat with the Trangia.
    The best part is it nest inside my Snow Peak 900ml cook kit in it's own bag to keep things clean.
    Just don't use the canister style burners anymore, to cumbersome to carry, don't last long enough for the money, don't work well in cold weather and you've got a can you have carry until you can dispose of properly.

Not everything works for everybody but my kit works well for me.
    DaMonk45 likes this.
  3. TinMan207

TinMan207 Most often a lurker...

Oddometer:
    two trackin fool and zap2504 like this.
  4. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    I love Solo Stove.
    Its not for everyone but it works great.
  6. PB&J

PB&J Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have been using a variety of stoves and set-ups over 30 years of camping, canoeing and mountain climbing. The Whisperlite has been a real workhorse and never failed.

For moto-camping I've gone backwards and am now using a super cheap tramp set-up. Army surplus folding burner stand and a liquid, chafing-dish fuel canister. It's small, cheap and disposable, for my needs. Find that I am cooking over camp fires at night and just want to boil some water in the A.M. The fuel is $3.00 a canister and I can easily get 3-4 uses out of it. I can also build a small twig fire in the stand if need be. Plus, it shelters the wind well and has a large, stable platform for the pot.

Don't know the make. Saw it in the window of an army surplus store and siad "that's it!"

Still use my other gear for hiking, etc., but for moto, it's become overkill. FWIW.
  7. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I mostly use wood. It's cheap or free and smells good and carbon neutral.

For those times when wood is impractical or verboten and I need to cook a real meal I rock the M 1950 Army squad stove.

Runs on anything from kerosene to jet fuel to the gas in my bikes tank. It is noisy and may shoot a flame or two until the generator warms up but the fraking thing works
    any where in any weather at any temperature an is re buildable.

[​IMG]
    Not my pic, not my stove but you get the idea.

For the rest break cup of coffee or back packing or minimalist weekend bike trips I use wood and or the Solo Alcohol Stove and or Primus express depending on the need at the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again not my pics but both are cheap, compact, feathery light and work better than I need them to.
  8. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got that little, very little, orange box stove. Great stove, I think it cost 5-6$. Took about a month to arrive. It's my #2 stove. [​IMG]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  9. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Afternoon coffee I use that same stove.
    Its just to simple not to.
    Its a break who cares if it takes 5 minutes to make coffee?
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  10. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Yes it is impressive. As you said, nothing but a very fine ash when done.
    I've been experimenting with it on the weekends. Cooked a burger with a small frying pan in about five minutes.
    It's just fun to use!

Q~
  11. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Admittedly, I didn't read through the whole thread so maybe this has been covered, but I just switched to a Jetboil, and I'm not going back. My friend was boiling water before I even screwed the pump onto my MSR bottle to use my whisperlite. I know it has its plusses and fans, but for me, the ease of use just stole the show. Serious stove envy. That Jetboil is impressive, but I don't need to do much more than boil water. I'll use the fire for real cooking if needed.
  12. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    I think pretty much any decent canister stove will achieve similar results, particularly if used with a high efficiency/heat exchanger pot. I've done a ton of stove testing, and for sure the liquid fueled stoves lag behind, but what's your hurry!? I've pretty consistently seen my MSR Pocket Rocket boil up enough water for a good sized cup of coffee in between 30 and 40 seconds - that's fast!

Edit... was out in the shed and boiled up 400 ml of water for a large mug of instant coffee (Nescafe 3 in 1 http://www.nescafe.com/product_details_en_com.axcms?Id=74 ) in about 2 minutes using my Primus Multifuel EX stove... not too far behind a canister set-up.

[​IMG]
  13. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI, it also runs on diesel. Takes a bit longer to warm up and get a good flame.
    Retired Army 2008 likes this.
  14. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anti-safety: pit crew who are on fire have to yell to let others know that they are on fire since the flames are nearly impossible to see. This wastes valuable time. Safety plays a very small role in fuel choice.
    nk14zp likes this.
  15. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Just can not give up my Svea123 stove. Its been beat to death and just keeps going
  16. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    Just got my ancient SVEA back from an A&H rebuild.

Using Coleman fuel (2-3 yrs old), I get a nice blue flame after it warms up but it seems to have orange tips. It's been so long since this stove was last used, I can't remember if this is normal. It doesn't seem to leave any soot but I wondered if something needed adjustment or tweaking?
  17. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Mine does that until it gets going
  18. Retired Army 2008

Retired Army 2008 Army Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Love My M-1950 Stove!! Something about good old ancient technology :) Although I did just get me a Whisperlight International.. Should be recieving in the mail in a few days :) Next I will get me a Svea stove... :) then I should be good for choices :)
  19. heliyardsale

heliyardsale Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer:
    Heads up.
    ~ $16 with code.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    I get the usual orange flames when it warms up, but I still have small orange tips on the blue flames after it's fully vaporized.