Stoves

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ibgary, Jul 3, 2015.

1. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You probably all know that Trangia started making duossal pans again. The idea of duossal is primarily more durability than the other offerings at the expense of a little more weight. I've read they also cook better due to more even heating and maybe slightly better heat retention. I ordered the 3 for my Trangia 27.

I look forward to testing them out, and once I get them I'll weigh them for you.

Also, the last few days I've been cooking 1/3c brown rice +1/3c brown lentils, pre-soaked overnight in the refrigerator, on the Trangia. I'm noticing it consistently uses approx. 1/2 stove of fuel. I didn't weigh or measure it, so I don't know how much that is though the Trangia holds 70ml/2.37 oz. I bring it to a boil, reduce it to a simmer for about 25 minutes, then shut the stove off and let it sit for another 20 minutes.

I've read online that the Trangia uses 32ml of fuel to boil a liter of water. I used a 1 liter pan, with rice, lentils, peppers, onion, broccoli and spinach. This is probably very close to my fuel usage.

Compared to a gas canister with the little Fire Maple stove, I don't have exact times, but it seems to take a little longer on the Trangia. No surprise there.
    CharlieInStLouis likes this.
  2. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, I didn't. And I must be getting old. Instead of thinking "Oh boy, new gear" I paused. Hmmm, there's really no reason to switch from the anodized aluminim pots and pan I've been using for the last 9 years. It's adequate.
    Dessert Storm likes this.
  3. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't disagree with you. The HA pots are adequate. I've done a lot of cooking on them and enjoy them. That said, I wasn't a big fan of the HA fry pan. The only way I could get it to fry something without sticking was to use a cooking spray. No, oil (olive, vegetable, or ghee) didn't work for me. I replaced it with a non-stick, and don't need to bring cooking spray or oil with me when I camp/travel now. Because of this, and easier clean up, I like the non-stick fry pan better. Maybe I'll like the duossal even better. The duossal appeals to me because of it's improved durability. Cookware on a moto can be vulnerable, especially because I use soft bags. When I bought my Trangia set, duossal wasn't available but it is now. So I'm going to try it.
    Dessert Storm likes this.
  4. Castos

Castos Castos

Oddometer:
    This is my Gaz stove, issued when in the military. I have a litre water bottle and a firebucket (cup) ((same as US Military issue)).

[​IMG][​IMG]
    9Realms and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  5. Big D

Big D Sunny SoCal

Oddometer:
    The 8R has a circular cup under the burner used to pre-heat does the same as the indented pre-heat ring on the Svea123. As a optional accessory there is a small mini pump and different fill cap used to pressurize the tank. Mainly used in very cold conditions. I looked for a picture of mine but can't seem to find it in my photo files. There is a very early model 11 and 111 that had a built in pump. Svea brand was acquired by Optimus in 1969 and still make Svea123 stove. enjoy 07GSA Sunny SoCal
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny you mentioned very cold conditions. I have camped in minus 25 in the past and my Svea was put into the coals of the fire for pre heating, probably dangerous but necessary to get it going.
  7. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    These old stoves definitely have some followers! I'm guessing my dad bought it in the early 80's perhaps? Just a guess. For now I guess I'll just stash it away, she's perhaps a bit too pretty to burn. Plus, I've got a few other stoves that I use regularly. In fact I just put together a nice DIY mini kit that I'll post up perhaps later today, I think it might be of interest to some of those here who primarily just boil water for packaged meals, or for a quick hot drink.
    16VGTIDave and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  8. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it wasn't available when I got my set, either. Had it been I probably would have gone it instead of the HA.

Replacing the frying pan only is not a bad idea. I'll think about that for a while.
    PNWet likes this.
  9. Andy_L

Andy_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After all that beautifully engineered classic kit, how about something cheap and cheerful?

I found this stainless steel "lunchbox" on ebay for around £5. The main deficiency for use as a cooking pot is that the lid has no handle, so I had to rivet one on. Also you'd need a pot-holder if you want to use the upper tray as a frying pan.

It's a perfect size to go on an army hexi stove, making a complete cooking kit for under £10. The hexi stove will fit inside the pan for storage. A little wicking alcohol stove is a cleaner alternative to hexamine that works nicely with this setup.

cookset1.jpg cookset2.jpg cookset4.jpg
    9Realms, IslandMonkey and MotoBoss like this.
  10. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    Spending some quality time with a friend of 30+ years, my SVEA 123!

IMG_1873.jpg
    squish, Cal, 9Realms and 5 others like this.
  11. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to experiment with a really small stove/brew setup for shorter, solo camp trips. This definitely won't work for 2 people, and it definitely won't work for a big gourmet meal, but it should be perfect for brewing some coffee or heating up some baked beans and weenies when you don't/can't have a fire. Maybe it ends up being too small, but if nothing else it was a fun trial-and-error getting it to burn right.

Started with my stove of choice, the ever-wonderful Trangia. Added a 650 mL Keith titanium mug. I happened to have a piece of aluminum that was going to be recycled at my last place of employment, I think the anodizing was the wrong color. This is what really determined the pot purchase.

I drilled 2 holes for a couple pieces of 1/8" SS brake line (also from my "scrap" pile) to hold the pot. Then I added some holes at the bottom to get air in. After a lot of experimenting, slowly adding air inlet/outlet holes, I ended up with what is essentially the minimum amount of airflow that will allow the Trangia to burn at full tilt boogie, while still working nicely as a wind block. I can really blow on this sucker, and aside from the heat loss from the aluminum, most of the heat still reaches the pot.

I still have to make a Reflectix koozie.

Contents

[​IMG]

Stakes and stove in

[​IMG]

Ready to cook

[​IMG]

I had to grind off the tabs for the mug handles, so I made a quick proof of concept with some more scrap. Works surprisingly well

[​IMG]

Nested

[​IMG]

And packed

[​IMG]

Not bad for an evening of drinking beer, fucking with power tools and playing with fire.
  12. Andy_L

Andy_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, very neat. Your pot handle is especially ingenious. I'll have to try something like that.
  13. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Disappointed by the new duossal pots. They won't nest, which to me means poor QC.

I can replace either the inner or outer HA pot and the duossal will nest with the remaining HA, but the two duossals won't nest together.

Again, this tells me Trangia has poor QC for these new pots.
    CharlieInStLouis and HarveyM like this.
  14. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too bad about the duossal. Are you planning to return them?
  15. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure. I can use the fry pan and 1 pot. If I return them, I'll have to pay return shipping. Probably not worth it.
  16. houlster

houlster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I feel a bit like I'm walking into a wine tasting with lemonade here, but I've been using a Ti remote canister stove for the last year or so for mcycle camping. Name aside, I like it.

The Fire Maple KING KONG (yes, ALL CAPS) FMS-100T

Nice stove. Titanium. Heat tube for inverted use. Very sturdy, wide base when un-folded. Tiny wind screen that actually does help a little bit. Fit of pins / pivots is very tight so it folds/unfolds and stays without slop or rattles.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32796819354.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dessert Storm and 9Realms like this.
  17. mnmlst

mnmlst mnmlst

Oddometer:
    Nice... maybe shoulda used a cut-off wheel to cut thin vertical ‘slits’ in the support/wind screen, instead of your ‘big’ round holes. Just a thought.
  18. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
  19. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting.

Here is a cheaper alternative, perhaps the original inspiration? Trangia 25 frypan = 22cm, this one = 24cm

Here is what appears to be the same pot I mention above with some reviews, from a different vendor with slightly higher cost.
  20. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    the only difference is the silicone liner I guess?